Thread: Ranchero project

Ranchero project

Did some work on the Ranchero the last couple of weekends. Pulled the old motor, trans, ect. Cleaned up the engine from the delivery and put the engine, and 4 speed into the Ranchero. Looks good and runs OK but has a flat spot off idle. i think the carb needs a rebuild. Anyway I almost have a driver again. Just need to do the exhaust. Later Steve...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve,

You may find that flat spot goes away with exhaust added. These things need a little back-pressure as they are set up. But then maybe the carb does need to be rebuilt anyway.

Sweet though. Love to see the 6's staying in a few of these.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

You could weld a bung into the exhaust for an O2 sensor. Great for tuning the carb. I have a Weber 2bbl and thought I was getting too much fuel during a quick start but the sensor showed it was actually lean. Now I just have to figure out which jet to change.

I haven't done anything yet as I plan on a rebuilt cylinder head soon that will probably change everything. I would get the engine where you want it, check for vacuum leaks and go from there.

And I'm a big fan of the sixes! Great work!!!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Thanks Guys, I'll get the exhaust done soon. I think I may have sucked something up from the replacement fuel tank I swapped in.. I flushed it out good but you never know for sure. I put a filter in before the fuel pump and one after for now to make sure my gas stays clean.
    I was thinking of ordering the exhaust from Macs?? Seems like all the local shops around here only want to put in bolt in systems? What happened to the places that would bend up what you needed? Any way I was thinking of going up to a 2". Would this affect my back pressure or should I stick with the 1 3/4" that it has now? Thanks for the help and advise. Steve

Come over the mountain to spokane and I'll take you to a shop where everything is formed by hand and a bender..

Probably would only cost ya $250 from the manifold to the tail pipe aslong as you didn't want anything fancy.

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

That would be sweet. Oh wait that's about a 7 hour drive from here?? Wonder what the gas would cost me??? I better keep looking a little closer to home. Thanks for the offer though!

I have the portable wideband O2 tool. Let me know when you're ready and we can do some test drives and see what is going on.

You can buy a universal tailpipe kit from Summit Racing. They are typically for V8 cars so you could use half and sell the other half to another six user.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI