Thread: The Falkur

The Falkur

I joined the forum a while back because I enjoy Falcon's and own a handful of them. In particular, I was in search of a clapped out 60 - 63 coupe body to transform my paved oval mini stock race car. For the uninitiated, a mini stock circle track race car is a 4-cylinder class. This car started out as a Merkur XR4 and I cut the body off to update to the Falcon, because old school is cool. I have been running this car for five years after selling my Fox platform Mustang race car. There's many performance advantages with the Merkur platform that I won't bore you with at this time. Anyway, I recently finished the car and got it on the track. Hope the purists won't crucify me! Haha. Enjoy the pics.

Drew Harthorn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Angela Merkur

You did a good job. The Falkur turned out really nice.

Angela Merkur.jpg

How closely did the wheel base and body width of the Merkur match those of the Falcon?

merkur-xr4ti-lead.jpg
    Merkur XR4
    Last edited by ew1usnr; October 12th, 2015 at 05:28 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Thanks for the nice words. The width was fine. The wheelbase of the Falcon was around 7" longer than the Merkur, so I cut 7" off the front fenders at the door. That length just happened to be approximately the same width of the cowl. So, the full length hood fits right back to the windshield. So the major surgery was shortening the fenders. It was the easiest body swap I have ever done.

As a side note I started with a clapped-out body that was sitting on the ground with major rust below the lower body, which was OK with me since I was cutting that off anyway to run flat sides below that body line.

Drew

I love the shot at speed - cool to see a vintage rig (at least cosmetically) up against more modern cars.

Stay safe.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)