Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The work begins on the 64 2 door wagon

Headliner bows are also color coded on the ends (assuming the paint survived) so that should help define what you have.

The dome light cutout is never done in the uninstalled material. This is done only after the stretching and moving and gluing is complete - then you feel around for center of light and .... slice an X oh so carefully.

If the bows are not matching the actual holes in the car, as you said, this makes me think it is for another wagon. I've wanted to redo my headliner since I've owned the wagon, but have just not faced this task with any joy enough to do it. Having to have all the glass out to do it right has just never happened.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I think the rear bow also had two smaller wires that I atached between the bow and two holes just above the rear window. I recall it held the rear bow straight up and allowed me (actually Kenny) to pull the headliner material forward and glue it to the windshield frame.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    I think the rear bow also had two smaller wires that I atached between the bow and two holes just above the rear window. I recall it held the rear bow straight up and allowed me (actually Kenny) to pull the headliner material forward and glue it to the windshield frame.
    Yep got that, I have it pulled and tension on it but have very little at front to glue, I read up on the seller that I bought it off of on ebay and one person complained that the bow slots were off 2", most mine are close 1/2" or so off.

I will win one way or another

Well after banging my head against the wall on the headliner issue I have decided to just bite the bullet and have my wife make one, she can work magic with fabric and I can have it in gray like I wanted in the first place and probably better quality material and the place that I am getting the material has it on sale at 30% off. This way I know it will fit, on the one I had if I drilled new holes it would have ended up with a bow right in the center of the dome light.

The headliner that I was working with fit really nice until I came to a section that should have had a 14" panel but was only 13" and from there on things just went downhill.

I just took mine to my local upholstery guy and he made and installed my custom one for about $300. Very well worth it I gave up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Quote Originally Posted by doghows View Post
    I just took mine to my local upholstery guy and he made and installed my custom one for about $300. Very well worth it I gave up.

Looks great just like the rest of your ride, really looking forward to seeing it in person. I checked out your build and you have a ton of work that you have done and it payed off.

Quote Originally Posted by doghows View Post
    You have to pick your battles. They did a real nice job on yours.
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

Well here it is several months since my last post and way beyond my Memorial Day completion date (note to self, never set a date). Well after changing out to 65 steering stuff I found out my steering gear box was bad so I had to install another one, it was not as bad of a job as I expected it to be with engine in car, headliner I ordered off of ebay was all wrong so had the wife make one (sure is nice to have a wife that can do that) although it is not perfect it is pretty nice, she also has made the seat cover for the back seat and is working on the bucket seats now.

I had the local glass shop come and put my windshield and rear quarter windows in and was very glad I did as they did an outstanding job and came back after a couple days that I put some heat in the garage to help it set and apply caulking to the outside.

I finally got around to painting the car this was a garage paint job using Omni base coat clear coat system Omni paint is a the lower class line of PPG paint but I upped to the little better quality of Omni base.

Enough rambling and on to a couple pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had a problem with getting gas to carb from the newly installed gas tank and sending unit, I could pour gas down the carb and it would fire until gas ran out, usually this would be sufficient to get gas from tank to carb I had about 5 gallons in the tank. Well I finally took the hose off at tank and ran a fuel line to gas jug under the car and it picked it up right away. Arrrg now I have to pull tank to get sending unit out and see whats up with it not enough room to do it on the car. Well it ended up being the sock on the sending unit was bottomed out on the pick up pipe.

I know someone in China is laughing at a stupid American

Very nice! Like the color. Gets me antsy to get out and drive mine, but for whatever reason it's been a brutal season to get out to any shows. Be sure to post some pics of your wife's handiwork!

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"