Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Saving Granddad's Falcon

I can probably make this more confusing by adding my 2 cents. When I put my Tremec 5 speed in the car it had a note in large red letters that stated if I didn't use Amsoil Automatic Transmission Fluid my warranty would be voided.

I didn't understand why, so called their tech number. They said that newer transmissions with sychro's need additional lubrication that auto fluid gives. With older tranny's without synchro's the 75W-90W is what to use.

I would listen to NEWUSER1 in almost every case since with his engineering mind he will dig all the facts out. In my case, just stuff falls out.

Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Not sure this isn't too late, but use the 80/90W or 75-90W Gear Oil.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; September 28th, 2016 at 04:37 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Roger, I usually do wait for you to chime in...

So, this stuff is fine?
    http://www.autozone.com/greases-and-...?checkfit=true

Ever seen a difference in the 75w-90? If not, I'll just go with the 80-90- stuff above since it's already on my shelf.

(Larry, I do know some manual trannys use auto transmission fluid- and I know that this is not one of them.)

Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    Roger, I usually do wait for you to chime in...
    Ah man - then you'll never get this done!

I suspect this oil is way better than they had in 60-65. It will be fine. Too thin and you might find seals not holding back the seepage of oil past them. They barely do as it is.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Roger, Don't worry, if you were really holding me up and I didn't want to make a decision without you....I would call your cell!

But, unfortunately there are plenty of other things to do!

The good news is I expect this weekend to be a falcon weekend- the first in a while, so I hope to make good progress.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Good luck!

Getting outside to do anything is tough these days. Too cold out there unless there is real work to do where I can stay warm. Instead staying inside and organizing all my "got to sell" stuff.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

That's for sure. Fortunately this weekend....trying to finish the carpet, kick panels and as much under the dash stuff as I can...Using a big in-efficient light in there that cranks out 1600watts...and turns the inside of the falcon into a sauna in no time. If I get done with that, it will have warmed up the entire garage by then.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Whew....not getting much falcon work done. The day job seems to be moving into the evening more often than not lately.

I've been having a heck of a time getting the inside kick panels to fit right over the carpet. For one thing the holes are in the wrong place.... One way or another I hope to get those done this weekend.

BUT, at least I picked up my exhaust pipe today from the ceramic coater. Here it is on top of my Acura...I think it looks pretty nice, and it's the original one piece and will hopefully last longer than new aluminized. Time will tell. It was about the same cost- but no shipping. This old pipe is quite thick too- really solid. They also did the bracket for me. If I get it on this weekend, I'll order the muffler monday.

As you can imagine I got a few funny looks at the grocery store.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Looking good, Don. How close are you getting to STARTUP? Maybe you need to schedule a "tech day" and several of us could maybe help you with some of the odds and ends
    Last edited by SmithKid; January 29th, 2016 at 12:49 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

A tech day to help finish up a few things is a great idea Gene. Scheduling is the question...

I hope to get a few things done this weekend and get a lot closer (honey-do's are always a priority...but my wife is visiting her Mom). Jason should be over tomorrow to help for a few hours too. Unfortunately I'm on a business trip all week. Gotta pay the bills. After that, maybe I will know enough about the upcoming weekend schedule.

By the way, I got the driveshaft back from SeaTac Transmission yesterday, and they didn't charge me a dime. Great owners there, these guys have always taken care of me and work has always been great. Still owned by the same family for 51 years...about the same age as the falcon!
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Well....didn't get much time in yesterday, but small forward movement. Driveshaft is in and seems to be correct. Sure is pretty under there right now.
    I do see that I still need to adjust the parking brake nut.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Guys, does the headlight switch (and fuse box) install with the fuse side oriented down? up? or sideways?

I don't seem to have a pic of the far left side of the under dash. Common sense would say fuses down so you can get to them...but the way the wires are twisted seems to be implying fuses up.

Thanks in advance...
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

It was a silly idea to put them there in the first place... so of course they point upward.

I think they expected you to pull the dash away to access them.

No, really.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"