Thread: Wagon - powered tailgate wire routing?

Wagon - powered tailgate wire routing?

Thanks to Steve @ Doghouse Powdercoating, I now have wonderful back-up lights to dress up my previously naked tailgate.

Does anyone have a good picture on where and how the wires route from the moving tailgate to the body of the car? I'm assuming there are grommets involved. I'll also be running a ground wire with the power as I'm sure the moving hinges are not a reliable ground path.

Jeff, I only know from pulling some wires I got from Steve for the power tailgate harness and safety switch. So I have that harness, which is probably the same routing any other wires would have taken.

Briefly, they went down the passenger side, out a hole under the rocker panel below the right-hand side, just to the left of the tail-light hole... then across to almost center of the gate, then out. Then there was a short twistable section... about 6" or so... that had a right-angle grommeted sleeve going to a mirror-image grommet on the bottom of the tailgate. So it only had to rotate about 90 degrees and didn't have to bunch-up or anything. Stay'd in one spot and twisted as you opened and closed the gate.

I could probably snap a picture of [what was left of] it this weekend. FWIW, I haven't been available lately, so that's the soonest I could probably get out there. Heck, I think today is my first time I've been on here in 2 weeks. Chaos...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"