Thread: Hubcap painting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hubcap painting

Anyone done hubcap painting? I have a plan for how to repaint these 4 that I picked up but wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone has done it and see what process was used. I am slowly working out some of the small dings. There were two larger dent issues that I've got mostly and the flat paint finish won't make the remaining dimples very obvious.

Last edited by Gitanesteel; December 22nd, 2016 at 09:00 PM.
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

Started the first hubcap tonight. Went with the one in the best shape - no dings.

Masking took well over an hour.

The best lighting was next to the Falcon so extra precautions were taken to avoid any potential contamination.

After two coats of self etching primer. I'll sand it on Wed or Thurs before heading out of town.

I picked up two cans of stainless steel color spray paint. Auto Zone had some cast aluminum color but it was lighter than the original. This stainless steel color will be darker than the original but may make the shiny stainless portion of the wheel stand out more.

I would welcome thoughts on the color.

Scott Zimmerman

Wheel Covers

Quote Originally Posted by Gitanesteel View Post
    Started the first hubcap tonight. I would welcome thoughts on the color.
    Wow! I am impressed. Did you get the "self etching primer" as a can of spray paint? Where did you find it?

The color looks great to me. I like seeing original wheel covers and hub caps on cars.

Good job!
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    Wow! I am impressed. Did you get the "self etching primer" as a can of spray paint? Where did you find it?

The color looks great to me. I like seeing original wheel covers and hub caps on cars.

Good job!
    Thanks Dennis.

Yes, the self etching primer is a can of spray paint. I picked it up at the local Auto Zone. I actually wasn't going to use any but changed that plan after stopping by a body shop and talking with their painter yesterday.

I'm looking forward to putting these on the car. I located a set of steel wheels with tires for $60 that I'll pick up this next weekend. Depending on the condition they may get a fresh coat of paint as well. The tires will go and I'll put on a new set with thin white walls for the original "effect".
    Scott Zimmerman

Good looking job,Scott. I recently masked my grill and repainted the black on it. Wow, what a bunch of masking, but makes the masking of wheels seem a much smaller task if done one at a time. Kinda encouraging me to re-paint the black my Magnum 500's. A couple of them are starting to flake the black. The WIAI bug seems to be spreading (pandemic?)!!!

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Quote Originally Posted by SmithKid View Post
    Good looking job,Scott. I recently masked my grill and repainted the black on it. Wow, what a bunch of masking, but makes the masking of wheels seem a much smaller task if done one at a time. Kinda encouraging me to re-paint the black my Magnum 500's. A couple of them are starting to flake the black. The WIAI bug seems to be spreading (pandemic?)!!!
    I couldn't imagine masking a grill. After masking the first one last night I kind of cringe thinking about three more.

I couldn't wait - did a light sand on the primer and sprayed two coats on it. Took the stainless steel color back to Auto Zone and went with the aluminum color. Much closer and I like the out come. Gonna need to let it cure for awhile. Now to game plan the "center cap" area with raised letters. That has me a little nervous.

Final look after paint:

New look on the left, old (dirty) hubcap on the right:

Scott Zimmerman