Thread: Who makes QUALITY PARTS so I can find a quality clutch fork?

Who makes QUALITY PARTS so I can find a quality clutch fork?

My project is stuck again, I replaced the original clutch fork in my Falcon about 5000 to 15,000 miles ago and it's already junk. The dimple where the rod connects to the end of the fork is about worn through, the forks themselves where the release bearing clips onto is very worn for so few miles, and the spring clip to hold the fork to the fulcrum broke off, so no more new junk parts for me.

I was going to get the clutch repair kit that replaces the broken spring clip but since the rest of the part is getting close to being junk I figure I better get a new one.

I need to find a parts seller who takes pride in selling quality parts, I'd gladly pay more, much more for quality parts. This is the second time I'd done this job, first time was to replace the original worn out part, and I don't want to do it a third time.

Does anybody know any parts suppliers that specialize in selling parts that won't be junk after only a short time? Falconparts does not have clutch forks.

Thank you

Wilbur,

I've lamented about this a few times in the past, but the best most people can offer is "good luck." The world has changed in that regard. Everyone typically wants less expensive, which drives manufacturers to source from areas that are less expensive.

The best parts are NOS parts. Or factory-made used parts, which can hopefully be refurbished. I've repaired clutch forks before when the push-rod wears a hole into them. Weld and grind. Most wear on these parts is due to lack of lubrication, which obviously has to be both good, and enough, before you assemble the thing into the car. The hole in the clutch fork usually gets lubed once (I've found many that never looked to have ever been lubed), and then nobody thinks about it again until the hole is worn into it and it fails.

You can find MANY Falcon compatible parts from Mustang dealers, like NPD, California Mustang, CJ Pony Parts (though not currently supporting the latter business). The 64-66 Mustang with a 6 cylinder was 50% a Falcon in many respects. Worth a look-see.

Try to steer away from parts that are bound to be far inferior today than 50 years ago; like, ignition parts. Even the "top brands" like Echelin and P&D are from China today. China "can" make good parts, but I've not found this to be the case in many disposable car parts. You wouldn't think metal parts, like a clutch fork, to be inferior, but the metal used can be far softer and thinner than factory.

Anyway, your best bet would be to keep your eyes open for NOS parts (if money is truly no object), or ebay sellers or swap meets and buy used, but factory, parts.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Luva65, thanks for taking the time for a thorough response. I lucked out today, after calling everybody in the USA for the past few days, and speaking to the folks at Tremec transmissions, Cobraautomotive, CJ Pony, and on and on and on... I found a NOS part. A reproduction part is $53 at one of the Mustang part warehouses, I had to pay $150 for the NOS part.

That is cheap insurance considering that this job was a ball buster given my lack of a garage, lack of a lift, and that it's a rather miserable job with me working in rain, wet, as I have so many times for so many jobs. Given all that, paying a lousy $100 premium seems like a gift, doesn't it? It does to me!!!

The old Chinese(?) clutch fork I have about 10 inches in front of me as I type this, I installed that only about 10,000 miles ago, and though I considered welding some metal to it and installing the clutch fork repair kit I figured like you figured, the metal is too soft and the part is not worth installing back into my car.

I don't know if I ever told the stories on my car, but this car I hauled out of a junk yard, it was garbage, and I bought an entire Falcon to use as a donor car (sold the remaining nice rolling chassis cheap to a guy who wanted it), and gave this wreck I bought a new lease on life. This will be the third time I installed a clutch fork.

Though the fellow told me they have very few Falcon parts, I got lucky on this one, but if you guys need a NOS part, try these guys who are sending me my NOS clutch fork which, by the way, is for a 1970 Ford Mustang/Maverick 200 ci six with the big 3 speed top loader transmission. The name is Perogie Enterprise in NJ. (609) 448-1684.

Thanks again for the informative response Luva65.
    Last edited by Wilbur; September 17th, 2014 at 01:55 PM.

Bad luck, they sent the wrong part. So a few weeks ago the clutch guys sent the wrong clutch, and now these other gentlemen sent the wrong fork, and they don't have the correct one for me anyway.

You'd think I'd have learned when the clutch guys sent the wrong clutch.

I DID LEARN, as a matter of fact. I double checked things, I made TWO CALLS one immediately after the first to this company and double checked that they were sending the right part, even gave them the measurements of my part, and I was assured they had the correct part.

It arrived and it was obviously wrong, and though they will refund my money, I'm still SOL with three more days wasted without a lead on this part from a quality manufacturer.

Is the Lord of Falcons trying to tell me something? %#@! it drive on...

I'll get this Bird on the road one way or another...
    Last edited by Wilbur; September 19th, 2014 at 11:12 PM.

Wilbur, I had a similar problem finding a shift fork (different part, but looked everywhere for it. ). I finally called Green Sales. http://www.greensalescompany.com (call them...nicely beg for help)
    He led me to a guy with a ford dealer parts locator....who found me the part at Ohio valley ford. I talked to Don there 304 845 4244. He sold me a nos part that had been on their shelf forever....$15. The key was finding the correct ford part number, then finding a dealer nice enough to help me find it....and I never gave up. A long shot, but for me it was worth it. I sure there's one out there somewhere. Good luck.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

dhbfaster, thanks for that link and phone number, I will definitely speak to that gentleman and see if he can help. As long as I get a fork that's quality, whether it's Taiwanese or Korean is fine, they seem to make good parts, I just want to avoid Chinese. I will try on Monday when businesses are open and see if they can help locate a fork for me. The regular parts warehouses I spoke to all have Chinese stuff, which I already have, and it's worn in two places and broken in one, after only about 10,000 miles. Thanks again for the link and information, I'll let you know how it all works out! :-)

Update: I have located a clutch fork NOT made in China. The distributor tells me it is made in Taiwan and I have found Taiwanese hardware and parts to be of excellent quality, at least that's my experience.

The parts warehouse that sells mostly Taiwanese made parts is LAUREL MOUNTAIN MUSTANGS.

It really depends on the company and their QC. We've sourced from everywhere in the developing world and if you give any company an inch to cut corners, they'll take it. You can only get good parts when you continue to reject bad parts.

But make sure when you put that new fork in that you grease the pivot (not a grease that will run when hot) and the push-rod divot. It'll last a long time.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"