Thread: Need a carburetor/help

Need a carburetor/help

I have a 61' with a 170" and am in need of a replacement carb. or if anyone knows of a trustworthy shop that will rebuild a re-manufactured carb.

What area are you in? Is this your only car, or is it something you can have out of commission for a couple days to do a carb build the right way?

I think, if my experience is any hint, most "reputable" shops still do the bare minimum (see my Club Hauler thread in the Chit Chat section for my personal experience).

It may be, if your carb is in good shape mechanically (nothing too worn out making the core unrebuildable), then you may have better luck getting a club member, like myself, do the rebuild for you. Of course, to do this right, would take at least overnight, but I've done rebuilds in a couple hours and they have run perfect afterwards.

The overnight process means you dismantle the carb and soak it overnight in a carb cleaner bath and this loosens all the crud in all the tiny little passages and then you use compressed air to blow out everything. There will be no gum or residue anywhere in the carb with this method.

The short method uses spray cleaners and compressed air to do the same thing, to a degree. You can still assure all the passages are clear and that's the most important thing. A tiny film of fuel deposits deep inside will not hinder operation... and would just come back in a year in a pristine rebuild anyway.

So... depending upon your need, location, freedom to be without it for a day, or not -- you have a few options. New carbs are way too expensive if you ask me (into the $200 price range, if you can find the right one). Carb kit's to rebuild them are like $25 and I know could easily do a rebuild for someone for $50 labor or barter for something. Or less if you are on hard times. That's what a club is all about in my books.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"