Thread: Lokar Shifter

Lokar Shifter

I'm going to put a floor mounted Lokar shifter in my 62 Falcon. Has anyone done this? What size works best? 12" or 16"?

Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

What happened to the column shift? Just looking for something different?

That's a pretty good looking shifter. Is there some kind of boot they sell to go with it? Is the measurement of the chrome part? I would think 4" could make a huge difference. Not as bad for an automatic though since you just need to put it into gear and then sit back and drive. With a standard tranny, you would almost need to have the shifter so you could find a comfortable position.

Maybe you could fabricate a mock-up out of copper plumbing pipe and a ball. Then figure out where it needs to go on the floor and see if 12" or 16" feels better. I'm guessing 12" since you've got the console.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I like the column but I'm already planning for the next project after the paint is finished. I'm going to install an RRS rack and pinion setup and can't keep the column shift.

There is a nice boot option for the Lokar.

Patrick Brown

I'd probably go for the 28" lever with the skull knob.

I called Lokar yesterday. They told me to add 4" to the handle length to get the overall length of the shifter. I'll probably be looking at an 8" or 10". I'll use an old dowel and see what will fit best.
    Patrick Brown

Does that shifter have any kind of release so you don't accidentally shift gears if you bump it?

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    Does that shifter have any kind of release so you don't accidentally shift gears if you bump it?
    Yes, there is a button on top. It works just like a modern floor shifter.
    Patrick Brown

Patrick,

I just measured mine, and it's about 8 1/2 inches from the knob nut down to the nut at the base, so I'm assuming it's a 12 incher. I've got it tilted back as far as it will go, and in park it's a comfortable reach - any taller and it interfere's with opening the ashtray. You can only set it back so far because of the crossmember in the floorpan trans tunnel hump - I think I notched it slightly. I really like this shifter because you can shift down manually to second gear without pressing the button or worrying about accidentally hitting first.

If that shifter boot plate you pictured is very rigid, it won't bend to the trans tunnel shape. I just got the simple circular bezel which should bend to comform to the curve of the tunnel, but still have not installed it since I still need to pull out my floor mat and POR 15 the floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch