Thread: New Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Project

Picked this up a couple weeks ago from a local seller. This is my first Falcon, so I'm pretty stocked. Here's a few pics from the day that I bought her and drover her 2 hours home.

Current plans are to clean up mess that previous owners created, finish up the interior and redo the engine bay while I replace the 302 that is currently residing in there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking car. Replace the 302 with what?
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

So I'm on the fence between a 331 or 408. I'm still gathering my research on fitment issues, tranny and exhaust but I see myself leaning towards the 408. BluePrint sells a 425hp crate motor that I am interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Corbin View Post
    So I'm on the fence between a 331 or 408. I'm still gathering my research on fitment issues, tranny and exhaust but I see myself leaning towards the 408. BluePrint sells a 425hp crate motor that I am interested in.

I'm in the process of a rebuild on my 289 and going with a 331. Another member in Yakima is also going 331. Fitment is fine there. 408 might present some problems
    Scott Zimmerman

I'm a fan of the 331. My brother had built one for his mustang that was one fun car. My thought process is that there is no replacement for displacement. While that is somewhat accurate, it all depends on the build. I too think I am going to find that I am going to run into some issues going with the 408. That may be the deciding factor for me.

Very nice looking- with lots of potential.
    What's your goal?
    Look forward to following the progress.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Quote Originally Posted by Gitanesteel View Post
    I'm in the process of a rebuild on my 289 and going with a 331. Another member in Yakima is also going 331. Fitment is fine there. 408 might present some problems
    Scott, if you don't mind me asking, are you building the 331 yourself and who is doing your machine work. I'm looking for a local builder.
    Corbin Johnson
    Roy, WA
    64 Futura
    347, C4

Quote Originally Posted by Corbin View Post
    Scott, if you don't mind me asking, are you building the 331 yourself and who is doing your machine work. I'm looking for a local builder.

Local mechanic is doing the engine build. Wouldn't want me doing it so I support the local economy. There's a couple of places in Yakima where the block will go for machining and balancing. The mechanic told me yesterday there were a couple of machine shops on the "west side" he would trust but didn't mention where they were.
    Scott Zimmerman