Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Near Help Near Bremerton

... if it was malice, maybe you should check your other falcon out a bit closer. I'd take off the carburetor and fish around in the intake manifold with a magnet on a wire. You may pull out a screw before it eats a piston in that motor too.

Hate to say it Dan,
    But the guys are right.. something was dropped down the carb and it gernaded Penny's engine.

The broken rocker was just an effect of the problem and not part of the cause. When tearing down the motor I got to thinking there is no way a broken adjuster screw would make it into the cylinder.. It had to be dropped down a carb hole..

I was thinking sabotage or maybe, "maybe" someone dropped something when changing a carb??

Next question if water and gas arent cloudy white.. what does bleach look like when mixed with gas?? Though it didn't smell like bleach or anything else for that matter.. not even gas untill the very last..

I drained the tank and flushed the lines. put 4 gallons of premium with some water remover..

Good News is I got Penny running last night and broke her in.. I got her dialed in a little bit better tonight.. I'm using the carb off of Tink though..

Problem. Penny wont Idle below 700 rpms.. I dial the idle down and she stalls.. I'm thinking vacuum leak, but I have no idea where..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

First engine picture is assymbled and in the car
    The second picture is a picture of the engine break in.
    The carb linkages are different between a 61 and a 62 so i got toasty hands, but she never got over 1/2 temp on the gauge.

Nathan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Nathan,

If it's a vacuum leak, the idle should go up if you cover the carb with your hand. There's not a lot of places for there to be one, so if that's what it is, it shouldn't be hard to locate. Grab a spray bottle with water and just go about spraying all around the ports and such, and if it finds the source the idle will change.

Good luck and post more pictures.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan289 View Post
    Hate to say it Dan,
    But the guys are right.. something was dropped down the carb and it gernaded Penny's engine.

The broken rocker was just an effect of the problem and not part of the cause. When tearing down the motor I got to thinking there is no way a broken adjuster screw would make it into the cylinder.. It had to be dropped down a carb hole..

I was thinking sabotage or maybe, "maybe" someone dropped something when changing a carb??

Next question if water and gas arent cloudy white.. what does bleach look like when mixed with gas?? Though it didn't smell like bleach or anything else for that matter.. not even gas untill the very last..

I drained the tank and flushed the lines. put 4 gallons of premium with some water remover..

Good News is I got Penny running last night and broke her in.. I got her dialed in a little bit better tonight.. I'm using the carb off of Tink though..

Problem. Penny wont Idle below 700 rpms.. I dial the idle down and she stalls.. I'm thinking vacuum leak, but I have no idea where..

Nathan

Sorry the car was such a pile.... I guess I should have just demo'd it or scrapped it.... Probably would have been better off doing that.... I am sorry.
    63 Falcon 4dr wagon. Factory 260 car, but has a 302 now.
    64 Falcon 2dr HT. All original 260 car with 99,9xx miles. We are the 2nd owner
    68 Torino GT Fastback. 2nd owner, grandparents were 1st. 514,xxx miles.
    79 Fairmont 2dr 6cyl 3spd manual.
    05 F150 Supercrew 5.5ft box 2wd

Bite your tongue sir! I think you sent it to the right place. It would have been either Nathan or me if he didn't want it! Just let's hope your other one hasn't suffered the same fate.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Dan,
    I'm not trying to make you feel bad and the car isnt a pile. Just a little more challenging than I hoped for..
    The wife and i see great potential in Penny and by spring she will be on the road. I hope to have her driving before the snow flies.

The car isn't giving me too many fits lately..

I got the new motor in and running which is great news..
    Now I just have to get it dialed in..

I haven't checked for the leak yet.. I did try covering the carb to richen up the mixture and it didn't help..

I'm thinking either valve timing though i adjusted it twice now.
    I'm thinking maybe low engine vacuum do to the rings not being seated yet??? it runs great at 700rpms so i'll just leave it there and try driving it..

I pulled Tink's carb off of Penny and checked the fuel bowl to discover more water. not much but it was definately water.
    I'm rebuilding Penny's carb and I'll try sampling the gas for water.

I'll post more in a second..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Nathan,

Water doesn't burn well, so I wouldn't worry much about how well it runs until you've assured yourself that there is no more water in there. You may have to put a fuel/water separator in for a few tanks full. These are found in boats mostly.

I doubt it's much to do with rings seating since you bored it.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"