Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Near Help Near Bremerton

I've located a carb shop in town that says they have all the parts for these carbs. I'm going down to see what they have Thursday.

I'm in the process of draining the tank again. So far I have 1 gallon of this mistery fluid. I'll have to take pics.. this is after I drained it once.

I'm going to drop the tank and have it cleaned..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Talking On the Road again!!

I finally got the tank cleaned. Bad fuel doesn;t seem to be a problem anymore.

I finally got all the missing parts to the autolite 1100 carb. I even had a carb shop flow test it for me to find out whats wrong.. other than needing throttle shaft bushings and it having an extra vacuum port for the power valve the carb was "supposed to be Good"

Tried tunning the engine and carb after getting it rebuilt.. and the car over heated and caused a leak in the radiator..

Replaced the radiator and rebuilt the heater box while it was apart..

I took the carb off the wife's ranchero and bolted it on to the new engine and she fired up and idled like she was supposed to..

She had a miss on #1. I checked for spark (good) I checked for compression (good) I checked and adjusted the valves I checked the timing, only runs well at 15* BTC.. Pulled the other 5 plugs and discovered that i'm lean across the whole engine.. I'm thinking vacuum leak..

next night I change the carb base gaskets and tighten any other possible sources of leaks, change all the plugs with new.. Fired her up and still had the miss.. So I adjusted the mixture and she smoothed out.. Got her nice and warm and corrected the idle speed and the timing now at 10*BTC
    Started running a little rough so i checked the valve lash again since its finally run long enough to set warm.. The valves needed to be adjusted and now she purs like a kitten..

i took her out on her madien voyage last night. We went aroun d the block 3 times and put half a mile on her.
    I even romped on her to see if there was any pining or knock, all sounded good..

I do have a carb issue still.. one it's not the wagons carb and i need to locate another Holley carb.. no autolights for me.. so i can put the wife's ranchero back together.
    second issue is after i got on it. accelerated hard and let it return to idle the carb flooded like the float was stuck. it might be too much fuel pressure or a sticky float, not sure yet..

it runs rich or atleast smells that way and I get black soot out the tail pipe, but when I try to lean it out it runs like crap.. the plugs don't look that rich either..

I need to get the floor pans in so I can install the carpet.
    Also does anyone know how to install a headliner?

Good news is She's finally on the road..

nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Hi Nathan, I will need to put a headliner in the wagon some day also. I haven't done it but I know you should remove the windshield and the side windows to do a good job. I have also heard that it is very difficult to locate replacement bows is you happen to "mis-place" them during removal. Mark each one as you remove it and always mark the same side (i.e. drivers side) sou you replace them in the same spot.

I am considering removing the insulation under he headliner and replacing it with some of the roll-on sound deadener... like edead in a can. I think the paint of stuff wodl stop any rust from forming and I wouldn't worry about the adhesive failing and the weight of "Fatmat" or Dynamat) from ruining the otherwise flawless headliner installation.

Take some good pictures so I can learn from your mistakes.

My floorboards should arrive this week. I ended up ordering both fronts and one toe... $187 including shipping.

I was reading the ford manual tonight and it says nothing about removing the windows..
    Though I've been told by many that its a must and when I did my headliner in my mustang fastback I had the windows removed..
    so who knows.. maybe I'll see if I can replace it without pulling the windshield..
    Not a single shop I called suggested removing the side windows..
    I got quotes anywhere from $150 to $300 not including the window removal.. so ouch this is getting expensive..

I ordered a front toe board and front pan from autokrafters awhile ago.
    I have the floor pretty much cut out I just have to trim the pan and weld it in.. I seem to be lacking the motivation to do that job..

maybe now that i can drive it, I'll be more motivated to finish her.

Anyone know where i can find some Rusteaze medicated bumper oinment?
    I have some rusty bumpers..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Whats next Cooperstown?

LOL Nathan

Whats next Cooperstown WA?
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Nathan,

Not that I've done it on mine yet, I've done all the investigative work and you have to pull all the trim and glass with the rubber seals. So, that's windshield, the windlace over the front doors, the trim above the rear windows, the quarter windows and the upper window track channel (and the side track channels to get the upper out). Then you can stretch the new headliner and glue it under and around all the pinch mouldings and trim pieces. The only reason I have yet to do it is because I've never wanted to risk breaking the quarter windows before they had replacement rubbers (would have needed to save those, making it hard to remove glass). They now have the rubber, but oh, what a job.

Glad to hear you have it running though. That's a huge step forward.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"