Thread: Acouple of questions

Acouple of questions

I have a 65 4 door wagon with drum brakes at all four corners. My service manual says that all falcons with drum brakes have self adjusting brakes at all four corners. Mine does not, only on the rear. Do any of you know if mine should have self adjusting front brakes ?
    Darren
    1948 Chev Sedan Delivery
    2006 Honda Element(Wifes taxi)
    1990 Dodge Cummins PU (350,000 miles strong)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think self-adjusters started in `63 and should be on all 4 wheels. Anyone would be able to remove all the hardware and make it look pre-63 so that's what may have happened.

You should be able to get most all of the parts from a parts store, brake shop, or Falcon vendor. If there's a piece that's hard to track down, let me know. I have a little collection of spare parts laying around.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I actually logged in to answer this post about an hour ago and for some reason I coudn't find it after I did. And I kept looking. Now that Kenny answered I see it is back. That is weird... Can only one person read a post at a time?

Anyway, what Kenny said is true. Chances are they were there and then someone decided to leave them off.

All these parts are available new, so just go ahead and add them. You can use used parts, but the only part that is different, depending on the shoe/drum diameter is the cable, so make sure you get the correct one of these or they won't adjust. The cable holds the lever parallel to the adjuster. Too high or too low and it won't catch to spin the adjuster.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

After asking the question yesterday, I took the front drums down to the machine shop to have them turned and found that both front drums need to be replaced. So now I think that I will make the change to disc brakes in front. I was changing from a single bowl master cylinder to a dual bowl and was going to leave the drums, but my thought now is to do the disc brake swap. I have all ready purchased a dual bowl Master cylinder for drum brakes but have not installed it yet. Do I need to go to a master cylinder made for front disc/rear drum??? My parts store is great they will take the 1st one I bought back with no questions.
    Darren
    1948 Chev Sedan Delivery
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by melo-yelo View Post
    Do I need to go to a master cylinder made for front disc/rear drum??? My parts store is great they will take the 1st one I bought back with no questions.
    Take it back and get a master for a disk/drum setup. Use a 67 Mustang with front disks as the reference.

You will also want a combination valve. You can find one at your local pull a part. Look for any car that came with a disk/drum setup. It's the large brass thing with all the hard lines attach. Usually near or under the master.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Thanks for all the information, now for my 2nd question....Any one know if the four doors on a station wagon are the same as a four door sedan and are the front doors on a two door the same as the front doors on a four door?
    Darren
    1948 Chev Sedan Delivery
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I would say yes they will fit, ford liked to use anything that would work rather than to tool up for a door change, or anything else for that matter, that is good for us ....also do you have the yellow delivery falcon??
    john h

Thanks for the info and no I do not have a delivery falcon. My falcon is a 4 door wagon with some small rust areas on all four doors. My delivery is a 1948 Chevrolet Sedan delivery.
    Darren
    1948 Chev Sedan Delivery
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I THINK the 2-door doors are longer then the front doors of a 4-door but I don't know that for a fact. I always thought they were a bit longer to improve access to the back seats.

I would think the 4-door wagon/sedan doors should swap though.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

4-door sedans and wagons are the same doors. Two door sedans, sedan deliveries, Ranchero, and two-door wagons have the same doors. Hard tops are hard tops and nothing fits them from any of the others.

This is all true only in the Falcon lines up to '65 and only for the years that are the same style. After '66... Falcons were... uh, different. Or maybe everything else was different.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"