Thread: Bellhousing question

Bellhousing question

So, I'm researching options I have for a new transmission for my Falcon and there's something that I'm not quite understanding. I have an early Dagenham 4 speed and from what I'm reading there isn't much I can do about it. I see all the bellhousing adapter kits for every other Falcon but mine. So, I'm wondering why I can't just get a new bellhousing and get an adapter for whatever trans I want? Or is the bolt pattern on the motor actually different? Sorry if that doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm having a hard time figuring out my options. I just want to change it from what I have to a normal 4 or 5 speed manual. Thanks!
    Richard C
    Sanford, Florida

1963 Ford Falcon Futura Convertible
    170 Straight 6
    Dagenham 4 speed

Does anyone have a falcon with a T5? Is that even a good option? Sorry I've never really modified anything before. I've always been a make it like factory kinda guy.
    Richard C
    Sanford, Florida

1963 Ford Falcon Futura Convertible
    170 Straight 6
    Dagenham 4 speed

Your current bellhousing is only for the Dagenham. The motor has a very small bolt pattern for the maximum of a bellhousing to contain a 8.5" clutch. The only transmissions you have are those available back then... though that's not to say for lots of money you can't find somebody to machine you special adapters to adapt, say, a T5, to this motor. If you had a post-66 200 or a 250 in your car you open a whole nother door of opportunities.

FWIW this is the same lament I've had with my '65 wagon since I bought it in 1997 - just nothing to adapt to without changing the motor. I did the Dagenham swap because it was way better than the 2.77 3-on-tree non synchro.

I've not researched this subject for a few years, so if there is any change to what I've shared here, I'm not aware of it.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"