Thread: heater hose help

heater hose help

Ok, my simple carb and intake swap snowballed into whileimatit iteis.
    Ended up pulling the water pump and timing cover. While I'm at it I should check out this timing chain. Yup needs one. While I'm at it I wonder if a cam and lifter swap will help my performance. What a cam and lifters is only $100? for name brand USA made stuff.shoot I'll do that too. When's the next time I'll have the motor opened up?

So I'm getting all back together. Had to work out the throttle linkage. Started installing a dearborn classic fan shroud. What a POS that is. If that's an exact copy of the original I know why no body put them back on. So I installed a larger and more blade fan.

The problem I have is the heater hose routing. Which hose goes to the top fitting? My v8 supplement doesn't show or list crap. Looks like I need to order a 64 manual to get real v8 info.

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Hey Nathan,

Are you talking about the fitting to the heater core? If so, I don't think it matters.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Only differance would be the direction of flow thru the heater core. Shouldn't matter.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Kenny,
    Yes the heater core fittings.
    It might not matter but I thought the heater worked better routed one way over the other.

If my thinking is correct the top hose comes off the intake manifold behind the thermostat. That's where the hot water should come from.
    It enters the top of the heater core and cools like a radiator and leaves through the bottom hose to the water pump which should be sucking the coolant from the heater core.

In fact I'm going to hook it up that way.. just need a non leaking heater core.

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Your logic seems correct to me. Maybe I should have been paying more attention. I've never worried about it. Maybe I could have been warmer in the winter!

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

What frustrates me is I went out and bought the 63 supplement only to find no v8 stuff in it. So I bought a new reproduction shop manual that is supposed to include the v8 section, which it does but its mostly just information on the v8. It doesn't actually show you how to fix anything.
    So it looks like maybe a 64 manual will contain more info?
    I had to use an old mustang manual on how to adjust the hydraulic valves. Didn't see anything on heater hose routing though..

Now I need to inspect that heater core that i scored from the junkyard Saturday.
    Hopefully it wasn't leaking.

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Nathan,

The factory recommended routing:

V-8 "manifold hose" up over the carb choke housing (if applicable) and on to the bottom hole in the firewall to the heater core. The top hose from the heater core goes through the top hole in the firewall and is routed straight to the water pump fitting.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"