Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Mini Regional

I sent Monte Brachmann, from the Columbia River Chapter, a short email to let him know we were discussing the mini-regional. He cc:d Allen Shade and hopefully they can join our discussion.

I think the toughest thing about finding a place you don't have to pay for might be to find one that will let a couple dozen cars park together, set up ropes, tents, and tables for 8+ hours without drawing attention to someone who will want to see a permit.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I think we should expect to pay some money (not $2K) for a spot.

This also came yesterday from our FCA Regional Director:

Insurance

If your chapter is hosting an official FCA event such as a Regional, or a Mini-Regional, then the chapter is required to obtain insurance for the event. The cost of the insurance is $100 for the event. Please complete the attached form to obtain insurance coverage.

A couple of suggestions:

If you plan on having out-of-towners, you may want to consider near by accommodations.

I have seen other clubs successful in getting a business to donate their parking lot for the day/weekend. Insurance will be necessary, but probably eliminates the permit for the cars to be there. Permits for noise (Band/Music) and food are something different. You could get around this by getting a reputable food truck involved, they carry their own.
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

Quote Originally Posted by BPVan View Post
    You could get around this by getting a reputable food truck involved, they carry their own.

... or we could get this one
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    I sent Monte Brachmann, from the Columbia River Chapter, a short email...
    Thanks Kenny, was going to do that one evening this week. You the man...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by doghows View Post
    We could always have it at my shop
    Be careful what you offer. That might not be a bad idea. Bring your parts to powder coat while you are at the show. We'll have fun, Steve will work.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    I think we should expect to pay some money (not $2K) for a spot.
    Not $2k but that wasn't the number I saw. It was $500 for 1/4 of the field and for 30ish cars would be more than enough.

It would be great to have a show to 250 Falcons but that pushing it a bit for a mini-regional.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

2014 Mini Regional

There are definitely several issues that must be addressed before we search for a location. I believe it might be time to have a meeting of the club officers and or location focal as a minor sized group to assess what the needs are, how many cars to expect, how many we would like, food, insurance, distances from everyone, etc, etc.
    It won't do any good for someone to arrange a locale without first understanding all issues. I love the idea of getting input from Monte and Allen from the Columbia River Chapter. I will be leaving for Arizona in 2 weeks for 3 months so I feel I am deserting. I guess I am deserting, but can't help it, I hate the cold and rain. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

2014 Mini Regional

I have read through all the threads regarding a 2014 Mini Regional in the Seattle area. Sounds great! You are all on the right track. I will pull my files on the last two mini regionals that Columbia River Falcons did and post our experience for you in the next few days...

Thank Monte - we really appreciate this!

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

I was searching around for some potential locations and found this. Address is 10322 Martin Way E, Olympia, WA.

About an hour south of Seattle. Right off the highway. Plenty of places to eat. There's an area in the east corner that looks like it's maybe vacant or overflow parking? Could hold 30 or so cars maybe?

There's Norma's Burger, Nisqually Bar & Grill, Tacos la Fuenta, a couple of gas stations. I'm guessing if someone talked to the building with "PUB" on the roof they may know about the lot behind them. Or their parking lot would be nice to use. It's kind of nestled in the embankment going up to Brown Farm Rd.

Might be too far south for some?? Anyhow, not perfect but maybe cheap!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

2014 Mini-Regional

Columbia River Falcons (CRF) started planning the mini-regional in March of each year. In 2012, we considered having the mini-regional in a park, motel lot, or other venue. We considered sites between Brooks, OR and Centralia, WA. We were looking for a spot near I-5, but that is not a requirement. We did keep in mind the availability of lodging for those that would be coming a long way. We were looking to have the event in August or September. The availability of the venue “selected” the date for us. We settled on the Fat Moose Bar & Grill in Woodland, WA because they have a few “car show” type events at their location throughout the summer. They have tables, white board, food/drink, barricades, and other items already on site to set up the show (and they help set it up and take down). The only items that the Chapter supplied were a few canopies for shade and the “office type” items for the registration table. The two owners were enthusiast about having CRF hold the event at their location. They have insurance and also were willing to pay the $200 street closure fee and get the permit from the City. It appears that with the new mandate from the FCA, chapters sponsoring any regional type event would also have to buy the insurance through the FCA. We were not aware of that when we put on either of our events… The Fat Moose B&G does well on the days that they have car events because the participants eat there and the cars draw in others to look and have something to eat/drink. It might be beneficial to look for a venue in the Seattle area that has experience with doing cruise-ins and car shows at their establishment. The key things that are needed are safe parking, restrooms, and food within walking distance of the event. Another idea might be to look for another event that you could partner with to reserve room for 30-50 Falcons? If they were doing the event as a fund raiser, they might welcome a number of “guaranteed attendees”. Anybody in the Rainier Chapter have any connections with a Mall that might allow the mini-regional in a corner of their lot? We attended a cruise-in this past summer in Clackamas, OR and they had a Papa Murphy’s trailer there cooking pizza and selling pop for the event. I think that Papa Murphy’s even donated part of their profit to the charity that the event was for. Just another thought…

When CRF started planning the event we decided that we wanted to keep the cost to participants very minimal or free. The Chapter dedicated a maximum budget of $250 early in the planning stages for the mini-regional. We used this to pay for flyers, postage, dash plagues, and trophies. Our dash plagues were $1.75 each. In 2013 we gave the “longest driven distance” winner cash ($50). We asked our members to go out and get door prizes from vendors or purchase and donate door prizes. The tickets for door prizes were given to attendees when they registered. We did not sell any tickets, but that is a possible way to recover some expenses. Another idea might be to ask other chapters to donate some funds for door prizes? This is done for the FCA regionals.

Getting the word out: We printed up flyers and handed them out to Falcon and Comet owners at every show that members attended right up until the mini-regional date. We also made mailing labels from the FCA Membership Directory for Oregon, Idaho, and Washington members. Those flyers were mailed in June (104 mailed in 2013). We also mailed flyers each of the Chapter presidents on the West Coast. Our attendance numbers were 38 Falcons & Comets in 2012 and 37 in 2013.

We also considered having a DJ to provide music, but opted not to do that to reduce the expense for the event so that we could keep it free. We also opted to not have judging so that we did not have to track down trophy sponsors or buy trophies. We also felt that we wanted the event to be low keyed without the pressure of having to be a judge or being judged. We also tried to keep the task list for our members short so that they could enjoy the event instead of just having to “work the event”. The tasks that we made sure we had folks for included: Helping Fat Moose Staff set up, greeter, car parking helpers, registration table staff and someone to serve as MC to hand out whatever awards are presented. The duties of the registration table staff includes: signing people in, handing out door prize tickets, drawing the winning tickets, handing out door prizes, answering questions, etc.

Sorry for the long reply. I will email this in a document to Roger and Kenny... Please feel free to contact me with any questions. I am happy to help.

Thanks for the info Monte. That's a lot to absorb but there are also lots of details to tend to.

I've downloaded the document you sent and I'll try to distill it into bullet points for the next meeting.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

Ok spring is almost here. If we are doing a mini we need to get our ducks in a row. Any plans yet??
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

We'll be talking some more about it this upcoming meeting; bringing maps and compasses.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"