Thread: Power steering pump

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Power steering pump

I've got a small leak at the front of the power steering pump. I suspect this is the original pump to the car - not sure if it was rebuilt with new seals or not back when the car was restored. Right now it's not bad enough that I feel like I need to replace it or overhaul with new seals.

However, I would like to make sure I keep enough fluid in it. The dipstick says ATF Fluid "A" on it. The shop manual doesn't really specify what type of fluid. I picked up a quart of Type F fluid - will this work. I doubt there's anyway to know what's in it right now.

Scott
    Last edited by Gitanesteel; September 27th, 2016 at 10:10 PM.
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

Scott,

You can use Type F with no issues.

Is this the pump with the separated pump/reservoir or the type with the pump inside the reservoir? I know kits are readily available for the latter pumps (did mine not too long ago on my truck), but the former, which I think is the Eaton pump, I'm not so sure of what you can get.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Scott,

You can use Type F with no issues.

Is this the pump with the separated pump/reservoir or the type with the pump inside the reservoir? I know kits are readily available for the latter pumps (did mine not too long ago on my truck), but the former, which I think is the Eaton pump, I'm not so sure of what you can get.
    It a separate pump and reservoir set up. Obsolete Parts, Dennis Carpenter and another apparently have seal kits for it. But, I also remember seeing a site (gray hair prevents remembering which one) that said they didn't have any but you could send the core in and they would tear it down and replace seals. Edit: Ah, found it on Macs Auto Parts site. I'm assuming front mount unit

Photos below - it's leaking between the bracket and the pump on the second photo (two right hand bolts, but mostly the middle of the three)

Last edited by Gitanesteel; September 27th, 2016 at 02:03 PM.
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8