Thread: Gas Tanks

Gas Tanks

I have a '62 four door and I'm looking for a new gas tank. Has anyone purchased a new tank from a reliable source. I see them on ebay but I never know who to trust and the cost is high enough for me to be careful.

Thanks,

Dave

I replaces my with a 64-66 Mustang tank. You can get them cheap. Are you wanting to keep the factory filler location or relocate to the inside? You'll need a Falcon tank if you want to keep the original filler.

Here is what my filler looks like.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Well I had wanted to keep the stock filler just for the convenience but after what I was reading today it sounds like filling the car is a pain. I haven't put gas in this one since I got it from dad. I don't think I'd ever put enough stuff in the trunck to ever make it a problem to have the filler in the trunk. The trunk idea just might be a better idea. It looked like in some of the pictures that you guys had just bolted the stock gas cap into place. Is that correct?

The trick to relocating the filler to the trunk is to find an old F100 gas filler. It's the one that in the cab on trucks with gas tanks behind the seat.

The F100 filler tapers to a small tube. I cut mine above the taper and welded it to the top of a scrap of 2.25" exhaust tubing. The 2.25" fits the Mustang tank perfectly.
    Patrick Brown

Here is a photo of my filler after welding but before the crome plating.

Patrick Brown

Nice job. I actually have a '59 F-100 sitting in the garage. Maybe I'll have to steal that piece.

If you don't want to steal one off your truck, I've got one I plucked out a truck in the wrecking yard... just in case someone here might someday need it (my wagon never will). I paid a buck for it and spent about 20 minutes cleaning it all pretty in the bead-blaster. If interested in it, let me know.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"