Thread: Tail light buckets w/back up on a '63

Tail light buckets w/back up on a '63

One of my last discovers was the buckets I "kept" were not deep enough to accommodate the back up socket in the lens. They run into the tail light bulb. So I need to know what buckets I'd need for the 63 w/b-u? Did they have more than one style?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Shortly after I bought the wagon and was selling the convertible, Kenny and I were going to swap the buckets - the convertible buckets were sweet.

I didn't notice the difference when I installed the wagon buckets in the convertible, but the passenger side bucket from the convertible would not fit in the wagon. It was too deep and hit the inner supports. I think the drivers side was okay.

Neither had integrated back-up lights.

I wonder if that is why the only back-up lights I see on the round body wagons and Rancheros have been in the tailgate. Have you seen any?

This will be interesting because I was going to do the backup light in the taillight setup as well??? Please let me know if anyone has solved this one...

I think you could cut out or modify the internal bracket support by your spare tire well on the wagon... I was not willing to do that just to get nicer buckets installed.

The Ranchero may not have that interference issue as the spare is safely stored in the passenger compartment.

I can do that now I just need to find a good set!!!

I don't recall there being anything that would have interfered with a slightly deeper bucket on the Ranchero. I don't know about a wagon or Sedan Delivery.

I could maybe try a different, more flush, socket. It has to be sealed well to keep the tail and brake lights from glowing the B/U lens. Maybe an LED bulb in the B/U place.

The stock shallow bucket and a B/U lens w/socket will allow the tail/brake bulb to touch the B/U socket and wires... eventually letting out the blue smoke. And you know you can't get the blue smoke back in once it is out.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"