Thread: Electric wipers

Electric wipers

Hi, Has anyone changed their vac wipers to electric? Just wondering if its easy to do and how costly. Also I would love to have window washers too! Any advice would be appreciated not sure if I can make it to the meeting on the 20th
    Thanks,
    Gina
    IMG_0456cropthumb

Gina,

Anything is possible. I'm actually going to investigate this possibility on the 62 Comet I just acquired, since it too has vacuum wipers, and I think it's a nice upgrade. Having done 2-speed upgrades on all my Falcons so far from the single speed, that'll be the way I go - if at all.

I've used mid-60's Ford Pickup wiper motors as the donors so far, but the wiper arms I think you'll need from a Falcon or Comet and also the bracket to mount the motor. Not 100% sure of it all, yet, but it won't be long before I look.

So stay tuned or maybe others can give you a blow-by-blow before I get a round tuit.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

It is very doable. I've done it on my 62. The vacuum system operates back and forth in a 180* arch. The electric systems have a motor that turns around in a single direction 360*. Because of this, it's not just a matter of adding an electric motor to a vacuum system. You need to find the complete under dash mechanism from a 63-65 with electric wipers. Then if you want to get fancy you can add a two speed motor and switch. I got mine from an early F150. You could also add an intermittent switch from an early eighties Ford with a dash mounted switch. The intermittent switch also have a push switch to control a sprayer.

There is one more option. There was an electric wiper option Ford offered that retrofits vacuum system to electric. It was designed to go back and forth in a 180* arch like the vacuum motor. It is very rare.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI