Thread: Seats or seat rebuild for 1960

Seats or seat rebuild for 1960

Where is a good place to either buy new seats or complete seat rebuild kits for my 1960 Falcon seats are toast.
    Thanks!
    Tim
    (Coos Bay, Oregon)
    1960 Ford Falcon 144ci 3spd Tudor
    1970 Ford Bronco 302 C4
    1973 Ford F-250 4x4 360 4spd.

I haven't found a complete seat rebuild it...and if you find one- don't tell me! Just kidding. I've put a lot of work into redoing the seats on my 61. Still working on the front seat- but you can see a picture of the rear seat in my thread "saving granddad's falcon"

I'd start with Jake at Original Falcon Interiors for the upholstery. The stuff Jake sells is really really nice. Far surpassed my expectations. SMS auto fabrics will also make them for you, but expensive.

I had the frames sandblasted and powder coated by Steve at Dog House powder coating (user name doghows). They are awesome...pics on my thread.

The stuffing is the biggest challenge. Mine were toast...everything turned to powder almost and I think a few "varments" may have lived in there for a while. Jake said I should reuse them...but I just couldn't see putting that garbage back in a beautiful car. So, I had them quoted at local shops...they quoted 6-8 hours at 85-90 per hour (plus materials) just to do the foam and put the covers on.
    So, I am doing it myself...the back seat looks pretty nice, still need to finish the front seat. I bought the materials at Perfectfit-McDonald, Inc...see their website, but they also have a store in Tukwila. It's a pretty time consuming craft project however...be forewarned! If you decide to go that way...I have will have a lot of extra dacron material left over that you are more than welcome to. Good luck.
    Last edited by dhbfaster; June 14th, 2015 at 11:56 AM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I was pretty satisfied with the upholstery from DearbornClassics.com, though it wasn't cheap. I don't recall if they sell the foam, however. I no longer have the seat, as I switched to bucket seats from another car.
    Last edited by SmithKid; June 14th, 2015 at 01:44 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

You can buy foam rubber from the local fabric stores - cheap. Use a garage-sale find electric meat carver to slice and dice it into shape. I picked up from somewhere a few very large rolls of burlap and webbing for doing just this sort of thing as well. It's buried up in my loft... somewhere. You can also use some cotton batting, probably also from a fabric store, to cover the springs, then add the burlap, then the foam rubber. Easy peasy.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Also, consider getting creative. Look for old cotton-based sleeping bags from thrift-stores or garage sales. It will work well as the cotton batting material to cover the bare springs. You'll never see it, so it doesn't matter much what it is as long as the behind part of you doesn't complain.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Roger... everything (the seats on my falcon, youtube videos, etc.) I have seen shows the burlap over the springs first, then the batting/foam, etc...whatever you decide to use. Usually, it seems to be: springs>burlap>some type of carpet pad like stuff>foam>dacron to fill in where needed>then covers.
    (I think I have enough dacron filler for the whole club now , seriously. After Saturday it's free to club members for the taking.)

The art of it seems to be doing it in a way that is not too hard or too soft and fill in the covers in all the right places. Anyway...I have only done one seat and who knows how it will really work out! I hope to finish the front seat Saturday.

Also...it seems to much more difficult to find ready made upholstry stuff at the main websites like Dearborn, Macs, etc for the older falcons 60-61. A lot more available for newer models.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

My 1960 sedan has a console and bucket seats. Is that correct or should it have a bench for that year? Is that why I cannot find bucket seat covers for a 1960? Wondering if someone put a console and buckets in it. Console real nice factory just seats and foam are turning to dust .
    Thanks!
    Tim
    (Coos Bay, Oregon)
    1960 Ford Falcon 144ci 3spd Tudor
    1970 Ford Bronco 302 C4
    1973 Ford F-250 4x4 360 4spd.

You might send a pic to Jake at Origional Falcon Interiors. He will probably know.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    everything (the seats on my falcon, youtube videos, etc.) I have seen shows the burlap over the springs first...
    Duh... yes, you are correct. I sometimes write so much so fast (so little time, so much to type) I don't catch myself when I write this sort of thing. Good catch though.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"