Page 35 of 52 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

Quote Originally Posted by modified17 View Post
    What model/part# is the Weber that you guys use. A friend gave me a new still in the box one a long time ago and I'll see if it's the same or not.... Dave
    Dave... I'm about to order something, so if you have something you are looking to sell, let me know before I hit submit to purchase something else. Would love to help out someone needing to clear off their shelves.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

My friend has two of these on a ford 6cyl and he really likes how it runs, it's half of a Q-jet...jh
    Last edited by falcon cobra; August 22nd, 2012 at 04:16 PM.

All this carb talk brings up an interesting subject: the spacer. I have been tuning my 4160 and I decided to lose the 1" Phenolic spacer. I noticed my cold start up to be much better and warm running to be fine. I have also seen some forums where some are putting in a heated spacer with a valve to shut off for summer and noting improved cold starting and general performance. I know many of the original 170 L6 engines had a heated 1bbl spacer with coolant lines running through them. As Jeff always says, Ford would not have done it if it wasn't necessary or didn't save .10.

I'm not sure yet whats best for my setup and I know anyone can put any information right or wrong out there, but I am curious on the debate.
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

Brian,

This was the impetus for my question to Kenny about carb icing, which is what happens when the weather it just right - humidity and cold - to cause the rush of air into the carb to freeze the throttle plate(s). Not fun sitting out there keeping to running and it runs like crap for a very long time this way. V8's are much worse because a lot of aftermarket manifolds don't have the heat cross-over under the carb base. Cold charge is best for race day and all.

The other way it was dealt with was with a therm-o-nuclear air-cleaner snorkel with a temp-sensing flap that closed when cold to pull hot air off the exhaust manifold.

On both my wagon and Ranchero I have the stock base w/hot water circulation, but I added a heater control valve on the wagon... years ago... to allow for turning it off in the summer. Never do and have never had an issue that I noticed, like carb boiling over or anything. Doing so also shuts off the water supply to the heater core, so no heat in this mode.

I know height is an issue when you've got to stack one adapter onto another, then another, then the carb. I have no doubt I could engineer a method to control icing, but was just wondering if Kenny has had an issue. The exhaust is right there, and may just be enough due to ambient temp rise from the exhaust.

Have been also looking at these to see if I could do... something completely different:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-DGV-Do...#ht_844wt_1161
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Completely different might be an understatement.

I have considered all of your points on icing and boiling. I have been chasing my cold start issue for a little while and blaming the electric choke but I am finding it to be a set up issue (amazing what you learn when you take the time to read the instructions).

I have the stock exhaust manifold in mine which has the spring activated heat riser in it, the 240 did not have a heated riser in it that I have ever seen. I have seen some guys with Broncos and pick ups with my same setup grab a 4bbl factory coolant heated riser from a 390FE (Thunderbird or Mustang usually) and claim success in resolving their issues.

From what I can conclude from what I have read, if you're after performance cold is the way to go but you get an unpleasant cold starting experience. For typical street use it seems using the heated option is best. Again, since many have custom setups I don't think any one rule applies to all.
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

I forgot about the heat-riser component. That's the thing that was supposed to FORCE the exhaust gas through the intake manifold, whether it be 6 or V8. When it opens the exhaust took the path of least resistance. These manifold ports always plugged up. It was pretty benign when it was off - same as the air cleaner snorkel heat riser. The hot water approach - not so benign. Unless you can switch it off.

So, yeah, what to do....

Move to Florida or Hawaii.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    So Kenny - was this before or after all the shaving you did? And do you recall what the tightest clearance ended up being, and where was it on this setup.

Get tech tip too, by the way.
    The only reason I had a clearance issue was because of the underhood mercury switch light that is mounted right where the "X" bracing intersects. Before I shaved anything, the light just barely rubbed a little paint off the edge of itself and I could see a mark on top of the air cleaner. I think it was 3 or 4 inches from the center.

If it was 1/8" lower I probably would have never noticed. Also, my spacer is no where near 1" thick. Probably more like 3/8". I've never noticed any icing problems. I've always read people commenting that the heater spacer was mostly for parts of the country where the winters are much, much colder than we have around here.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Nothing really new to post here other than to say I did finally get the Weber on and everything has been running pretty well with it. Here's a link to the thread about that for "future reference."

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...ead.php?t=1826

Have no real plans for it now other than to drive it for a while. Thus, this sort of officially closes this crazy thing I did until what time the V8 goes in. I will say... it's a fun car to drive - even with a L6.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

The thread that won't go away - could have had a V8

As a few of you know by now I am moving into phase 2 of my Flarechero project. When I built this car it was always my plan to do a V8 with the 65 289 I bought about 6 years ago off of Craigslist for $500. Well, that time has arrived. I finally pulled the pieces out from under the bench a few weeks ago and started cleaning them all up.

What I got for $500 was a block (bore/honed/new cam bearings), Crank ground .010/.010, new TRW pistons (.060), Rings (installed and one broken) 2 cams (1 too radical and 1 just right - Edelbrock 2122), Lifters, Crane roller rocker set (missing one ball seat and nut) 2 sets of roller cam/chain set, 1969 302 heads with 1.99/1.60 valves, hardened seats, very nice rebuilds, New-in-box 'Performer' intake, oil pump, gaskets (missing a head gasket), new flex plate with ring gear... and an FMX tranny (/boat anchor).

Had to get a lot of new things and stuff to replace what was missing. But new radiator, starter, water pump, dipstick, oil pan, valve covers, a roller rocker ball, rings, gaskets, etc, Dougs headers. Lots of little things.

After [a lot] of cleaning, it turns out, I am finally in the assembly process. The block had to have all the freeze and core plugs pulled, drilled out and tapped the drain 1/4 NPT plugs, which were frozen in place. Quite the pain. Cleaned and rehoned to clean up some surface rust that developed. It was scrubbed and readied. Polished the crank - again had surface corrosion, but nothing deep. Heads were wrapped, so they are pristine. Pistons were gunked up but had been coated with something. They cleaned up like new.

So as of today I have the crank and cam in and the timing chain and pistons installed. Next will be the pump and heads.

The plan is to do the swap over the weeks of October 17 to November 4 while my GF is out of town.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"