Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tech Day

Tech Day

Good news I found a shop that had my kit in stock . Ordered it and should have it this time next week.

On a side note I have Gina's comet at the house and it looks like an engine swap is upcoming. So get ready for a tech day.

Will post up when and, of course, it's over here again.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; December 12th, 2013 at 03:40 PM.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Let us know when the 302 is ready to drop in
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

Yeah right. 170 for170 on this one.

But maybe we'll put my rack in on the same day??? Hmmmm pizza anyone.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Got the gasket set and freeze plugs for it today. Pizza will be on me, it's the least I can do. The falcon is making more noises by the day 😪 she just needs a new home and someone to give her some TLC. Keep in touch Steve as we will need to get Miles and I out before tech day and get the prep done.
    IMG_0456cropthumb

Ok I'll start a new thread on this cause we're detracting from my delivery now. lol
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Tech Day

Ok here we go again... We have a big project coming up and possibly a medium size one..

Project #1: Gina's Comet is at my house and awaiting an engine transplant. We have a replacement motor that will be reassembled soon, so the swap out will probably be engine for engine.. Hopefully we'll have it ready to go so it should be fairly painless.

Project #2 I finally found a rack and pinion kit for my car and it is in route now. So we might be doing a swap out on the steering system on the delivery at the same time.

If anyone is interested in either of these two projects or just wants to come over to BS with us, keep an eye on this thread for more info and dates. I think we want to get both done before the end of the year.
    Ill keep you all posted and keep on Falconing..
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Hi steve, I would like to help with your steering and the comet but I'am not sure this month with all the christmas stuff going on is going to work for anyone. we will see. and I don't know why there is always the same people that show up, whats the matter with others who have recieved help on there projects that can't go and get there lilly whites dirty, I think there is always something to do to help. this is a club that we are here to help others I thought....jh

I still have the heads and the carb work to do for the Comet, but I'm thinking Gina will not want to do the hardened valve seat job. We're talking about $450 to do a complete valve job.

So I am still planning to pull the newer of the two heads apart and see to what level it was rebuilt. Maybe it had hardened seats installed already. Should know by weeks end.

We'll see what we can do and when. It's gonna be hard to fit in, but if we can get 3 or 4 peeps, that should suffice - assuming we get as much of the motor together and the other out prior to the tech day. Same with the steering bits on the SD.

Stay tuned!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Yup this is just a preemptive post to get the interest up. Not sure when it will all happen, but I plan on pulling my steering off this weekend and maybe getting Ginas car out of the trailer and pull whats left of her engine out? Well see what the weather allows..
    Stayed tuned kiddy's.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Thankfully you haven't mentioned the Tech Day being this coming week-end, so..... I will try my best to make it! I'll be in Pt. Townsand this Saturday (14th). So if anything needs to be ferried across, let me know. If I can get my pedals and z-bar out in time, I may be bringing you a small powder coat job.
    Last edited by SmithKid; December 12th, 2013 at 04:53 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I'm free to help any time next month. ( except the 20 to the30th)The reason I don't show in the summer time is my job John. If any one needs help Jan or Feb I'm glad to help
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Steve,if you do end up doing any engine work this week end on the Comet let me know so I can send Miles out to help. I gotta work but he is around and willing.
    IMG_0456cropthumb

Will do, kinda up in the air as far as plans right now.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Quote Originally Posted by falcon cobra View Post
    ...and I don't know why there is always the same people that show up, whats the matter with others who have recieved help on there projects that can't go and get there lilly whites dirty, I think there is always something to do to help. this is a club that we are here to help others I thought....jh
    People do what they can. Not everyone is retired. Some people pay their annual club dues as a way to help out...know what I mean?

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Cylinder head status

I pulled the "reworked head" apart tonight - and it has to be one of the worst valve jobs I've ever seen.

I was hopeful on the first couple valves I pulled out to clean and inspect, but as I moved east and pulled the 5th valve (exhaust) it looked like the stone they used to grind it needed to be refaced, but they just kept grinding valves with it anyway. Either that or 'the apprentice' took over after being shown a few to get him going. The seats look OK, though there was some water that got in after it was assembled and pooled against the valve. Minor pitting. The guides have been knurled and then reamed. Typically a means to making sloppy clearance tight again, but now with half the surface area as before. Poor-mans valve job all the way.

Suffice it to say I'm a little torn as to what to do about it and with it. I don't like it as is. The valves should be re-refaced at the very least. Can be done and then hand-lapped for some amount of money (my local machine shop charges $5.50 per valve and there are 12 of them - or $66).

The original Comet head would probably need a basic valve job ($170 minimum), though I have not put it up on the bench yet. With the wear in the motor, that head should be reworked if used. I will do an inspection tomorrow I suspect.

Finally there is the 200 Ranchero head. It is a direct bolt-on and will give slightly better breathing due to slightly larger valves. It ran good and didn't burn any oil when I was driving it. May be a use as-is thing. I've got to address what to do with that motor and parts anyway, so I may pull the head on it and give it a look-see.

Bottom-line is that it is clear the reworked 170 head had been running before it was then taken apart. Why was this? What caused them to assemble the motor, run it, then take it apart (they pulled the head anyway.) Maybe it wasn't running good because of this valve job? Can't imagine it would have run good.

More tomorrow. Just letting you know what I see so far.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"