Thread: Ford Challenger 260 V-8 Torque and HP Curves

Ford Challenger 260 V-8 Torque and HP Curves

I could not locate a horsepower and torque curve for a Ford 260. I took what information I could find, extended it using the equation HP = (Torque*RPM)/5252, rearranged as Torque = (HP*5252)/RPM, and extrapolated what was missing to create one.

The result is probably pretty close to being correct. It clearly indicates that the 260 was designed to deliver low end torque (red line) rather than high end horsepower (blue line). The engine red lines at 5000 rpm.

Challenger torque curve.jpg

Notes:
    The equations equation HP = (Torque*RPM)/5252, rearranged as Torque = (HP*5252)/RPM are referenced here: http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine...and_torque.htm
    I knew three data points, 0 rpm = 0 hp, max rated hp is 164 hp at 4400 rpm, and max torque is 258 lb-ft at 2200 rpm. I also used the following info from Carroll Shelby who dyno-tested a stock 260 engine and reported the results in Hot Rod Magazine, October 1963. Shelby reported the actual peak horsepower was 86% of the Ford-rated 164 hp. I converted Shelby's figures back to the rated figures by multiplying his figures by 1/0.89 so as to display the plotted curve in the Ford- rated values.

Shelby dyno-test.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; October 13th, 2015 at 07:39 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Ford Challenger 260 V-8 Torque and HP Curves

Good info. 141 HP isn't bad for the stock 260. Even when my Falcon had the 260 it was fun to drive and had good pep. That is the way it was when we bought it for my son 23 years ago.
    The next year in his automotive class he had to have a project so he put in a 302 with minor HP upgrades. It ran quite a bit better and in his high school drag races it did a little over 94 MPH with the C4 auto.
    I knew we would never put that 260 back in the car, but we saved it for at least 15 years before I gave it to someone. It still ran good. The 260 is a great engine.
    Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

2016 Mustang Engines

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    141 HP isn't bad for the stock 260.
    Larry
    Hello, Larry.

I like to use my Falcon as a measuring comparison when looking at new cars. The 260 was a big jump in technology when it was introduced in 1962, but a lot of progress has been made over the past 54 years.

Check out the torque and horsepower curves for a 2015 5.0L Coyote V-8 and a 3.7L Cyclone V-6. The engines are available in the 2016 Mustang. The Coyote puts out 435 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque. Yowsa!

2016 Mustang GT 5.0L Coyote.jpg

I love the name of the new 3.7L Cyclone V-6 engine. Here is a beautiful 1964 Mercury Cyclone:

64 Mercury cyclone with high front end.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; October 13th, 2015 at 07:31 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Fun Facts! Dennis, you have too much fun with this stuff, I can tell.

One of the first 'car' motors I helped build (as a ~14/15 y.o.) was a '62 260 in a '62 Fairlane we had. The first motor I remember being engaged in building in general, was a flathead Ford tractor motor. I was about 11 then and the motor was "overhauled" as opposed to being rebuilt. It stayed attached to the tractor and we pulled the head and pistons, but not the crank. New rings and bearings and regasketed. My dad had me do all the "reach into small spaces" work. It was the building of these two motors, along with a few others, that got me hooked on mechanics at such a young age - and the rest is history. Also, the parts house/machine shop we used for all this work we did is where I would eventually go to work, while still in high school, prior to moving to Seattle 3 years later.

Not long after building the 260 it was the first car I drove long distance with my learners permit - from Sacramento to San Francisco - to drive my brother to a StarTrek convention. Pretty much its "break-in" trip. I remember that trip fondly. My dad said not to exceed 62 MPH. It was pretty peppy for a 2-speed slush-box.

My brother took possession of this car and drove it on into the early 80's until it eventually died of some unknown cause. No doubt, by now, it is a Toyota.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"