Thread: What is the value of a '63 rag top?

What is the value of a '63 rag top?

6 cylinder auto trans nice number 2 car rust free older restoration. I'm looking for one but I'm a lot confused I see prices from $10,000 to $22,000 I don't believe there can be that big a difference in these cars
    your thoughts? billleland@comcast.net

Hi Bill. Welcome to the group! Here's a nicely restored one that sold a couple of weeks ago on eBay for $17,600.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=250191412157

I would think it would have to be something pretty special to get $22k but it's probably not out of the question. I think you could get a really nice one for $7k if you're buying from an individual and you're the first on the scene with a wad of cash. Since it was the first year of the convertible and last year for the body style they command a little more then some.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I agree with Kenny - 22k would be for a mint condition Sprint, the 65's being rarer and worth a bit more than that. Asking price on similar cars can be all over the board due to the person selling it - some people think they have more than they do, some are more reasonable. If you go looking at a "repainted" car, get a magnet and do some light knocking on the body - there's a lot of "bondo boats" out there. That's why I prefer original with some dents or a little rust over restored. Good luck in your search!
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

There is a magazine,that's been printed for many years,called "Old Cars Price Guide".The publishers have standardized a rating system for average pricing,on about every car made up into the mid-'90s.(I haven't looked at on,in several years.)
    The ratings go from 1- 6;1 being a mint contion unrestored vehicle,or a nut and bolt restored vehicle;6 being a parts-MAYBE car.(Think too far damaged by rust,or actual total wrck.)
    They cannot list every different option package,or special built model,but,give you the run-down on most.(For example,my '61 Ranchero was specially built for Ma-Bell,and were only around 300 made.)As I said,in the first paragraph,I haven't looked at it in several years,so I can't say for certain;They can't tell you what the value of a non-production vehicle,such as a streetrod,or racecar is worth.But,your Z06 Corvette,7-Litre Galaxy,or Hemi 'Cuda is in there.I don't know,(Someone who has a copy,help me.)you might even findout the value of a Thunderbolt.
    The good news..........ALMOST EVERY lending uses this rag,and follows its rating system.
    Forget about Barrett-Jackson;Since airing their auctions,everybody and their brothers car is worth $100,000 dollars.......even the clones!
    On a good day..........

I was looking at a price guide recently as I'm thinking about selling my falcon, and found it a bit confusing. I think this one was actually in an issue of Mustang and Fords as I'm sorting/throwing them out, and it listed all "futura sprints" together, including the years. They did separate hardtop and convert, but '65's are so much rarer than the earlier models that they must be worth more. Either way, I know I'm not going to get out of my car what I've got into it unless I find someone who just has to have it!
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

I'm not sure you can use a price guide with a Falcon. Last I looked up my wagon it was listed at something like $2600 or something like that. I had paid almost $7K for it a couple years earlier and have not seen many cheaper in the same conditions. So, the value is what people are willing to pay. Price high and go lower until it finds a market.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"