Thread: New Girl

63futura Guest

New Girl

Hi everyone!
    After wanting one forever I finally bought my first Falcon last September (on the exact date she was bought new in 1963). Of course after that the weather went to crap so I haven't had much of a chance to work on her (I don't have a garage) but so far I am thrilled! She needs a bit of body work as the previous owner hit a mailbox and a few things here and there but overall she's pretty decent. I'm really looking forward to taking her out this summer to some of the local cruises like the one in the Albertsons parking lot in Clearview and the Taco Bell parking lot in Lynnwood. She's not exactly show worthy but I'm taking her anyway! Please let me know about any shows from Seattle north. She's currently buried under a foot of snow and I just want it to be June!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats on the purchase!!

its always nice to have the 'other' hormones input to the board
    "Never under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill at the same time !!"

Welcome! Nice looking Futura. Are you also on H.A.M.B.?

Let us know if you ever need advice and/or spare parts. There are a lot of experienced Falcon aficionados here.

Hope to see you at some shows this summer. It doesn't seem like it but the days are actually getting longer finally!!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

They don't have to be perfect...

...to still be a lot of fun. Ours is buried under snow too!
    1960 Comet
    1967 Cougar XR7
    www.lattemom.typepad.com/cougar

Welcome to the club. Would "cool" looking Futura be a bad joke?

Jerry Kirby
    '65 Futura

Welcome, '63 Futura!

That's a nice looking driver you've got there, and I dig the vintage wheels and old Chev in the background. I was a semi-regular at the Clearview show until I moved south this fall, but my Falcon is stored up there (hopefully with no snow on it!) so that my be the only show I make it to next year. Happy cruising!

Jerry - not at all - Futura's are certainly kooler than my plane jane sedan!

Cometcougar - I love the way those cats eyes tail lamps look in the snow!
    Last edited by Sedanman; January 3rd, 2009 at 12:03 AM.
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

63futura Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    Are you also on H.A.M.B.?
    Yes! I actually just saw your reply over there. I made that thread and then forgot about it. Whoops.

I like your website...those pictures of the crash are awful though
    The car that hit you is the same thing I had before I bought the Falcon! You should go to the Blessing of the Cars again this year, it's one of my favorite shows.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

63futura Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedanman View Post
    That's a nice looking driver you've got there, and I dig the vintage wheels and old Chev in the background.
    Thanks! That's my husband's daily driver.

I've had some negative comments about the wheels because they're Pontiac but whatever, I like 'em.

A little late... but welcome!

I like the stance your car has. Of all the four-door Falcons I've seen that model is my favorite. Good Choice.

And I think we're all waiting for June around here with this mess we've been dished out lately (I'm on the border of Everett and Lynnwood in that infamous convergence zone, so lots of snow here the past couple of weeks). Heck, I'll take March.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

63futura Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    Let us know if you ever need advice and/or spare parts.
    Well now it's June and I haven't been able to drive my car because, of course, it's always something and now it needs a new carburetor. My car always got bad gas mileage. I mean really, really, really bad and lately it would act like it was running out of gas even when the tank was full. So my husband bought a carb rebuild kit and when he took it off noticed a large crack where the vacuum fitting goes into the main body. Awesome. So does anybody have a carburetor for a 170 automatic for sale? It doesn't have to be nice since we have the rebuild kit and it can be missing little parts since we have them on my other one. I just need a solid, uncracked base.

And speaking of gas, I'm interested in doing one of those filler neck conversions. I can't fill my car without an expensive gas mess and therefore have to have my husband do it. Considering any little trip is almost an entire tank of gas (which hopefully will change with a "new" carburetor) it makes me really nervous to go anywhere in case I run out. I also want to paint it soon and don't want the gas spray everywhere like I have now. I've looked around online but haven't found an obvious how to. Anybody have any tips?

My other big problem is I have what appears to be a ground issue in the brake light system. I have something drawing on the battery and we isolated it down to the fuse that the brake lights, parking lights and dome light is on. We also noticed that when the brakes are applied one brake light will be brighter than the other and it's not always on the same side. Has anybody else had this problem?

Also I need a new front e-brake cable, anybody have a recommendation of the best/cheapest place buy one?

And finally, I really want to go to one of the meetings and join the club. When is the next one? Hopefully my car will be back on the road by then!

Thanks!

It does seem like it's always something with older cars but it does get easier once you've dealt with a few issues you probably got with the car and will have some history.

I have a spare carb but could you post a photo of yours? It may be stock but you really never know what has been changed over 45+ years.

Here's a thread on the filler neck that should shed some light:

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...read.php?t=465

The first thing you'll need is a straight filler tube from a 70's Ford truck, the kind with the gas tank behind the seat back, inside the cab. It's a really great modification!

I had the same problem with my brake lights. Take out the bulbs and make sure the contacts in the base are clean. You can use the eraser on a pencil. Then twist the brass piece that the wires go in to (from inside the trunk area). See if they go bright and dim. The electrical ground flows through where that brass is crimped on and it starts to get corroded. Twisting it several times usually cleans it out and makes a better connection.

Sorry, I haven't dealt with a e-brake cable yet. You may have to get that from a Falcon parts dealer like www.falconparts.com

Meetings are on the third Wednesday of the month so the next is June 17. You should get an email to confirm the location but it's been at the U-District Burgermaster the last few times.

Hope to see you there!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

the b.c.b. Guest
    Here are some pictures of her carb (I'm her husband). It's a ford model 1100.

You can see the crack in the third picture. It continues all the way into the main body and the shafts are extremely sloppy so it's pretty much useless. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think Roger may have an 1100 left in the box of junk I donated to he swap... it was is sad shape but the body may be usable. Maybe it sold or was tossed.

The one I have is a Holley.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

I just went through all my junk and I have 4 of those Ford carbs. So you can have your choice if you still need one. I also have 3 of the holleys if anybody needs those. 425-481-1502 Dave