Thread: Old new guy

Old new guy

Hello to all. I think I joined the site about a year ago, but never posted much of anything. I drive a truck for work, and while I was delivering today I noticed a 65 ranchero inn a grage. I decided Id stop and check it out and introduce myself. I think the guy I met's name was Gene "smithkid". He told me he was a member of the rainier falcons. It was really cool to meet someone else with a falcon/ranchero project. I checked out his car and It was really cool. It was also inspireing to see another car close to completion. He told me I should show up more on the site, so here I am. I figure I could ask a bunch of questions because I have plenty, and maybe Ill post some pics or something. So first question is, Im installing a 9' rearend on my car. Since Im changing to 5 lug and disc brakes, Im pretty sure I need at least 15' wheels. Anyone have a suggestion on tire/rim size? I dont want to rub, and I really dont want to have to tub my car, but Im not sure if it is possible. Also if anyone has any 15' wheels I may be interested. Well next time I wont take such a long time to post.

Hi Lorn, Glad to see you got on the board again. It was nice chatting with you the other day. I would like to make the drive up to see your ride also. Summertime is very busy for me, as I LIKE to fish and we spend quite a bit of time on the road to central Washington. I hope later this summer or this fall will work out to see your ride. What is your goal for getting it on the road? I'm shooting for late summer/early fall. I have had too many delays. I wanted to be completly done by this summer, but it was not to be. Oh well; gives me something to daydream about while out on the lake. Anyway, consider joining us at a monthly club meeting. If you would want to come to my house, I would be happy to take you with me this coming Wed. Gene.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Lorn, I just realised I didn't respond to your question. Don't know the absolute largest wheel/tire you can squeeze under the back, but I personally put 7x14s on the back and 6x14s on the front. I too didn't want to rub and ended up with between 1/2" & 3/4" of clearance. However, the option does exist to roll the inner lip up and in on the rear wheel wells to gain some more clearance without cutting the wheel wells. A number of months ago, the club had a tech day at a members house that one of the projects was to do this. I don't recall the actual gain he got, but there was an improvement. Perhaps if Jerry sees this post he could tell you what the net gain was, or perhaps someone else will remember. Gene.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs