PDA

View Full Version : April 24, 2010 Tech Day

Luva65wagon
April 16th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Hey All, We're going to have a tech day this next weekend. There will be no meeting this coming Wednesday. Sorry for the short notice, but it took a lot of arranging to get all the pieces to come together.

As the last two tech days have been, this one will again be held at Gene's place in Everett (SmithKid). He's got a nice flat driveway and space inside a garage if the weather goes haywire.

Most of the work planned for this day is to do some front-end work on Jon's 68 Falcon... and of course we ought to do a little work on Gene's car too.

Here's the directions and address to Gene's:

Gene (SmithKid's) house is located at 7923 W. Glen Dr. in Everett.

From I-5 take the Hiway 526 exit (toward Everett Boeing plant)

Take the next exit to Evergreen Way & go North

Immediately move to the Left hand lane and turn Left on 79th

After 1 block, 79th turns Right onto Beverly. While still in that turn take the left turn lane onto Barbara Lane.

Barbara Ln. drops you onto an elongated circle. The house is on the West side of the circle on the East side of the street.

68FalconSC
April 17th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I really appreciate the help getting my bird into a much safer driving state. I'll be able to take my younger daughters for cruises then and they're pretty excited about that as they LOVE the Falcon.

What time are we starting ? I can bring some burgers or something to throw on the grill too. {let me know on that}

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone again. It bites that I can't attend any meetings until I get switched from swing shift to day shift.

Luva65wagon
April 17th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Oh... I didn't post a time. Hopefully Gene can let us know when he'll be willing to open his doors for us. He's been fishing this week, so I couldn't ask him. In times past, it was around 9AM. He also has veto rights on this meet too since I couldn't follow-up with him just before posting the announcement.

I'll swing by a grab some coffee and donuts before coming and Jon has offered to bring some lunch meats and stuff -- so all we need is a man or woman at each wheel of a car and we'll get 'er done, whatever 'er end up being. [thumb]

68FalconSC
April 17th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Roger suggested that I post up concerning what I am trying to get done on my car and the parts I have, etc..

1. Install all new front suspension parts {springs, shocks, control arms, ball joints, sway bar, etc..}

2. Install new rear suspension parts {shocks, bushings, sway bar, etc.. {NOT new leafs}

3. Install new steering parts {steering box, control valve, ram cylinder, hoses, etc...}

4. Electrical issue with dash {no dash lights at night}

5. Gas guage issue {doesn't read right - sending unit ground ?}

6. Install new steering wheel {current PO installed one is too small and blocks speedo visuals}

7. Adjust rockers ? {sounds like 1 is making a "clacking" noise}

I know it's a lot and I don't know if it can all get done in one day or a weekend but regardless, I know I'll sure be appreciative of whatever does get done. I haven't felt safe in giving my kids rides in the bird due to how worn out everything is and they send along their thanks as well as they love taking rides {before I realized just how unsafe the car was} in Dads bird.

Please post up some suggestions for something to munch and I'll make a run to the grocery store prior to arrival at Gene's.

Regards, Jon

redfalken
April 17th, 2010, 11:44 PM
I'll be there for a few hours. And...I'm not a picky eater so whatever you get works for me. See you then!

SmithKid
April 18th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Roger, Jon & All. I am OK with 0900 if that is acceptable to all. If more time is needed to accomplish as much as possible, I would even be OK with 0800. Just let me know and I will make it happen. Jon, whatever you want to bring for eats is fine. I have a BBQ we have used in the past if that is your 'druthers. Kenny, are you bringing the club's plates, etc?

68FalconSC
April 18th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Gene,
Thanks very much. I'm thinking about making a crock pot of chili {michigan style-where I grew up} as I recently got the right beans/sauce to use as a starter. Not spicy hot and just enough spice to taste good. Also thinking about burgers, buns and condiments. Maybe a 12 pk of pop or 2

{NAME YOUR FLAVORS NOW!}

Good hearty "turning wrenches" kind of food.
If we start at 9, I think I might try to get there a little early, if that's ok, so that the car has time to cool down some. Jon

redfalken
April 18th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Kenny, are you bringing the club's plates, etc?

I'll bring them if I can find them. The basements a mess right now! I think I know where they're hiding though.

Dalton
April 18th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Should I bring something like soda and some chips?

Luva65wagon
April 18th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I vote for a Dr. Pepper or two. :BIRTHDAY:

If anyone has front-end tools, we need those. I have a spring compressor only. We'll need a pitman arm puller and a couple different forks to separate ball joints and such.

Jack-stands? Should have 4 of them there at least. Mine are holding up my wagon at the moment...

68FalconSC
April 19th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I got the Doc Pepper covered. I can bring 2 sets of jackstands and a 3 ton floor jack.

SmithKid
April 19th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I've got a couple of ramps, a floor jack and a couple of jack-stands and a couple of forks.

tylers_62
April 20th, 2010, 08:08 PM
ive got a ball joint fork. i can give it to daltons dad in class and you guys can use it

tylers_62
April 21st, 2010, 03:46 PM
ill be able to come, ill help with anything i can!

Dalton
April 21st, 2010, 05:20 PM
Can someone post up a list of tools that still need to be brought because I can bring some tools I just need to know what ones to bring.

Rustorod
April 21st, 2010, 07:15 PM
Looking forward to another tech day. I can bring some tools too. And pepsi and chips.

Luva65wagon
April 21st, 2010, 09:29 PM
Dalton,

About the only tool nobody has indicated having is a pitman arm puller. If nobody has one of those, I may just pick one up since I've got a steering box swap in my future too (my new box is sitting at Red Head Steering right now, ready for me to pick up).

68FalconSC
April 22nd, 2010, 02:32 AM
Here's what I've picked up/will bring for chow:

Crockpot of Chili {Will feed PLENTY}
12pk of Dr Pepper
12pk of Coke
Case of water
Hamburger buns {16 servings}
Angus Steak burgers, 1/3rd lb patties {16 servings}
Condiments {miracle whip, ketchup, mustard - all in squeeze bottles}
Bbq sauce {in case anyone wants that on their burgs.}
Paper plates, bowls and spoons
Cooler with Ice {pop and water will be refridged the night before}

For clean up: I'll try to grab some clear vinyl gloves in medium, large and extra large sizes
Gojo

Roger,
I'll pick up a pitman arm puller in the morning from NAPA {Lisle made}. I would like to donate it to the chapter for member use and will engrave it "Property of the Rainier Chapter of the Falcon Club of America". Jon

SmithKid
April 22nd, 2010, 05:57 PM
WOW! If I wasn't already going to be there, I'd show up just for the chow!

redfalken
April 22nd, 2010, 07:35 PM
No doubt! I'll have to plan on skipping dinner!!

68FalconSC
April 23rd, 2010, 01:23 AM
The chili is crocked {pardon the pun}.

The way I figure it, since you guys are giving up some of your time {or space} to help me out, the least I can do is provide a good hearty meal.
See you all saturday morning. Jon

Luva65wagon
April 23rd, 2010, 08:32 PM
I just finished helping my neighbor load up a 26' moving truck and his pickup on a car hauler (it also filled to brim with concrete yard art and yard tools) for his move to Tennessee. I'm actually kind-a sad. He was a really good neighbor when he wasn't a pain in the butt (Roger, can you help me with this?). Just kidding. :p Anyway, needless to say my back is not feeling like loading up the truck tonight -- and in fact "I may" just drive my Escape instead of the flat-bed, which is what I was going to bring just in case we found a moment to swap the master cylinder on it. I'm thinking we're going to have our hands full as it is, especially with the threat of rain most of the day. Should be an interesting day, to say the least.

I will try to be there no later than 9AM (I'll be swinging by to grab some donuts for us all (bring your own coffee if you drink it, please -- or maybe Gene can brew some perhaps).

So... be there, or be square. ;)

Luva65wagon
April 24th, 2010, 07:29 PM
...all used up. That took me to the brink.

But Jon got all of the first 3 things on his list done, less a real decent alignment, which he'll have to have done. Plus he got new rear shocks and a start to a rear sway bar installed, but we ran out of time. So he's got a good start on it. I wll say those early power steering setups are crazy to work on.

The weather held out until about 2PM and then just opened up on us, so those of us working under the car at that point (Bill and I) got soaked to the bone. Kenny and Andy helped a lot today too and were lucky to not get the worst of the rain soaking Bill and I got.

We had far too many people show up to at the very least say "hi" that I can't honestly remember who all of them were. Somebody with a better memory than I can list those names for posterity sake. Please. We did finally get to meet Tyler -- and Dalton and his Dad showed up too for a while.

I will now go collapse...

68FalconSC
April 24th, 2010, 08:38 PM
...all used up. That took me to the brink.

But Jon got all of the first 3 things on his list done, less a real decent alignment, which he'll have to have done. Plus he got new rear shocks and a start to a rear sway bar installed, but we ran out of time. So he's got a good start on it. I wll say those early power steering setups are crazy to work on.

The weather held out until about 2PM and then just opened up on us, so those of us working under the car at that point (Bill and I) got soaked to the bone. Andy helped a lot today too and he was lucky to not get the worst of the rain soaking Bill and I got.

We had far too many people show up to at the very least say "hi" that I can't honestly remember who all of them were. Somebody with a better memory than I can list those names for posterity sake. Please. We did finally get to meet Tyler -- and Dalton and his Dad showed up too for a while.

I will now go collapse...

First of all, I would like to say Thanks to everyone who stopped by. Chris - Both your Ranchero AND your Falcon are super nice. Dalton and Tyler - Nice to meet of couple of young guys like yourselves who are more interested in REAL cars than "rice cookers", lol. Dalton's Dad {sorry but I forgot your name}, it was nice to meet you and it looks like ya got a great kid. Bill - Nice to see you again. Gene - Thanks again for hosting yet another tech day. I hope you can put those window rollers to good use. Roger, Bill, Kenny and Andy - What can I say, except Thanks again for all of your hard work. You guys all rock :rocker: Regards, Jon

Very glad you guys apparently liked the Chili.

The ride home was a little squirrely but made it just fine.

BadBird
April 25th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Really sorry I missed the tech day. Those are the funnest part of belonging to the club. Especially since I don't have my Falcon running yet. I would assume that is even better. We got back from Tucson at 1:30 this morning after sitting on the tarmac for several hours. Hope to see you all soon. Larry

Dalton
April 25th, 2010, 09:19 PM
The tech day was alot of fun so thanks to all of you that made it happen. Also that was some of the best chili ive ever eaten, so good I ate four bowls of it... Sorry I wasnt much help but I dont know what im doing but im a good wrench holder. If its alright with you guys I would love to host the next tech day.

doghows
April 26th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Sounds like a good time. One of these days I need to make a trip over and meet some of you guys. Maybe if you guys are up to it you can make a trip over to Sequim and visit the powder coat shop. Maybe we'll even fire up the equipment and do some discount coating??? Anyway sound like a good time.

Rustorod
April 28th, 2010, 06:07 PM
That would be great Dalton to have the next tech day at your house. Did you say you have a lift? I was hoping to work on my car if that's okay with everyone. I need a transmission kickdown cable installed, a transmission mount replaced and a new brake master cylinder installed.

By the way does anyone have an Eastwood Fender Roller? or something similar? My back tires need a little more clearance.

Also, I loved the spring newletter. Great job guys !!

Dalton
April 28th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Yea we have a hydraulic lift and enough shop space to comfortably work on two cars at the same time without being in the elements.

Luva65wagon
April 28th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Maybe a June tech day, since May is pretty full. ;)

Bill, Jerry Kirby has one of those fender rollers and I used it the last time we were out there to roll out his rear wheel openings. Worked pretty good, though it was a little awkward with the rear opening being non-round shaped. We had to unbolt the shocks and lift it up as high as we could to get any swing from it.

Send him a PM and see if he still has it. He had offered before to allow club members use of it.

Dalton
April 28th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Im fine with whatever date to have the tech day. I guess its something that we should talk about at the next meeting.

SmithKid
May 7th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I finally got some time to get back out in the garage today to do a little work on my Ranchero. I found a Craftsman long-nose plier that isn't mine in with my pliers. Give me a shout if it's yours. Also, can't locate my magnetic parts tray. Does anyone know where it was put away?
Thanks, Gene

Luva65wagon
May 7th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I finally got some time to get back out in the garage today to do a little work on my Ranchero. I found a Craftsman long-nose plier that isn't mine in with my pliers. Give me a shout if it's yours. Also, can't locate my magnetic parts tray. Does anyone know where it was put away?
Thanks, Gene

Probably mine since I was working on that shear-pin over near there... and I think I was the only other one there with tools. I'd probably recognize it if I saw it, but I'd have a hard time saying I was missing one. I have a set in every drawer and tool-box. :p