PDA

View Full Version : Window Stuff

BadBird
June 17th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Anyone happen to have any of the material that fits in the window run channel. The channel is on the aft end of the door. I am attaching a picture of the channel. The one pictured here isn't in too bad of condition, but the other side is destroyed.
The stuff I ordered thinking it was correct from Dennis Carpenters site is only a rubber strip.
If you know of something else that might work let me know. Larry

Luva65wagon
June 17th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I probably do. They used a lot of the same material in cars and trucks and I may have some left over from my doing these trucks. I'll have a look tomorrow when I'm out in the garage again. I may have it buried in the shed too. Who knows where I stash stuff.
:confused:

BadBird
June 17th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Cool, give me a call if you find some and I will drive my self in that direction. Thanks, Larry

BadBird
June 18th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Okay, I'm lost. What goes in the space between the roof rail trim and the wing window at the top edge? From the fwd edge of the roof rail the rubber seal bows up against the roof. There is about a 3" gap. Sure looks like something must go there but I can't find anything in my manual or on web sites. Even scarier I can't find any parts that look like they go there. Dufus Manufus (Larry).

Jeff W
June 18th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I'm no expert with the HT... but look at some of the HTs on this site:

http://fordfalcon2000.com/featuredcars/JTurner65.htm

Select "Galleries" on the top to see the other cars. It looks like you may have the wrong window trim to me. Hard to tell from the small pictures but the others look like that piece is molded for the corner.

Maybe when you install the rest of the drip rail chrome, you will find the piece that fills that in.

BadBird
June 18th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks Jeff, I viewed all those. Amazing how all the pictures seem to cut off that particuar area. There were three cars that I looked at and enlarged the photos and they seem to be blank on those cars also. Hopefully one of the members has a 64-65 hardtop and they can send me a pic. Thanks again. Larry

Luva65wagon
June 18th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I got home really late tonight, so I'l have to look in the morning for that rubber stuff.

As for your current issue, the wing frame looks way low in that picture and where's the upper drip rail stainless? I think you'll find if you move all that into the picture, things may look different. I'm looking for some pictures too to help.

BadBird
June 18th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I have put all the parts up into postition and there is a gap there. The wing frame is okay, must just be the camera angle. I did find a you tube video of a Falcon and it has that same blank area with nothing but the rubber seal. It looks kinda weird but??? Anyone of you 64-65 hardtop guys out there??

BadBird
June 20th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Got a picture from a 63 falcon owner on TFFN and I did have a part missing. spent an hour digging through all the junk parts that the guy gave us when we bought the car 18 years ago and I found them. They were beat to death. Spent an hour straightening them and then polished them up. Don't look brand new but better than the missing link!!!!
Maybe that was what the evolutionists were looking for all this time?????

Jeff W
June 20th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Wonderful!

BadBird
June 20th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Okay, got the roof rail seals in, got the windows aligned and now for another silly $%# question. There is a gap behind the roof rail trim and rain gutter. Showed it to Roger when he came over yesterday but we didn't come up with an answer to what you do with that gap. Do you seal it off?
Man I wish I had another 64 hardtop around here to look at.

Jerry Kirby
June 21st, 2010, 11:22 AM
I looked at my 65 HDTP and there is a piece of stainless that fits on the end of the channel. You must be missing those two ends. I took pictures but don't know how to attach them to the message. If someone can let me in on the secret of posting pics I will send them.

Jerry Kirby

BadBird
June 21st, 2010, 11:33 AM
At the back end there is a stainless piece? I found the stainless pieces that I was missing at the fwd end of the part.

Jerry Kirby
June 21st, 2010, 03:29 PM
Actually I said at the end of the channel, being dyslexic I was looking down the channel from the rear of the car. If I could figure out how to send a picture it would have made it clearer. Anyhow it sounds like you found the right part. :o Jerry

BadBird
June 21st, 2010, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I found the parts I was looking for but the gap at the back/bottom end of the drip rail has me confused. A guy on the TFFN site said that 65's have a stainless part that goes there. But I think he is talking about the strip that runs the full length of the drip rail. I have that part but it doesn't do anything about the gap where water will just pour into the car.
Take a look at the picture.
As far as putting pictures on the site. I store my pictures in the picture section on my computer. But if you can download the picture onto your computer at your desktop then click the "Manage Attachments" link in the form below. Then click the "browse" button. Click the arrow on the drop down box and then select "Desk Top". IF you downloaded the picture on your desktop you then click that specific file number, the picture. Then click on "upload". Not sure if that helps. Larry

Luva65wagon
June 21st, 2010, 10:06 PM
I had a feeling they wouldn't just end those pieces like that. Glad you found them. Considering they didn't really do much to keep water out of the doors and what-not, it wouldn't surprise me if that gap was normal. I'd probably use the black seam sealer (rope stuff) and just fill it up. It's not like it's going to get wet often.

Jerry, when you are answering, look between the post you are typing in and the old posts and you should see a Manage Attachments. If you click on that you'll get a new window where you can first choose a file and then upload it once you have it chosen. There is a limit to the size they can be, so make sure you don't select a file over the limits posted. I find if I post a 1024x768 image with fairly decent quality, it's right at 200k size.

BadBird
June 21st, 2010, 10:21 PM
Sounds like a plan. I'll do it tomorrow. Thanks

Jerry Kirby
June 22nd, 2010, 11:50 AM
I have attached a picture.There is no gap. The guy at TFFN probably did mean the strip that goes the length of the drip rail or he could have meant the short trim piece that is horizontal although I don't believe that actually serves any purpose. Doesn't anyone have a 64 they could look at???

Jerry

BadBird
June 22nd, 2010, 08:13 PM
Holy crap! Mine sure didnt have that part when I dismantled it. Not sure if it should be on mine though. Any 64 futura hardtop owners know?? Guess I can go back in the crawl space under my house and dig through some more )&^%(_) to see if it's there.

Jeff W
June 22nd, 2010, 09:47 PM
Here is a 64 with a vinyl roof I found on he HAMB. Maybe you should be looking for these bigger pieces in your stash?

I found a used set that sold on ebay last month - this link may still be active - they sold for $176.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330434062506&viewitem=

For that kind of money you better put on your coveralls and get lookin' in the crawlspace.

BadBird
June 23rd, 2010, 08:12 AM
Did the crawling routine last night and nothing down there. I think I am going to seal up the small gap like Roger recommended and forget the trim look. I think I like the looks of the roof line without the trim. When I put the gutter trim on it looks pretty good. I am going to look for better condtioned gutter trim for the future though.

Jerry Kirby
June 23rd, 2010, 10:16 AM
Before you give up there is one more resource I thought of. That is if he is still in business. Ron Boesl at NW Classic Falcons might be able to find the parts and/or at least tell you exactly what goes where . He knows Falcons about as well as anyone I have ever talked to except maybe Roger. The last number I had for him was 503-241-9454. He lives in Portland. There is also some info regarding his old company on the forum under local resources. That black string stuff from 3m is a good choice. I fixed some leaks in my mailbox 5 years ago with it and it still is working and has not hardened. Too bad they don't make it in clear.

Jerry

Luva65wagon
June 23rd, 2010, 09:31 PM
Keep in mind if your car had these there would have been holes you filled and there would be evidence of holes inside if you filled them. These holes are not easily accessible as I recall from them being put on (or looking to put them on) at Jerry's.

And for the record - I know my wagon pretty well, but wouldn't hold a candle to either of the Ron's (the one Jerry mentioned, or the one at Falconparts.com). I just read a lot. :D

Futura
June 23rd, 2010, 10:58 PM
I recently ran into a stainless steel trim roof rail trim issue when I was putting my 64 comet cyclone back together that has the same roof line as the falcon hardtop.

Roger is right about the holes...if your falcon had holes in the lower pillar area, the it came with the short horizontal trim pieces...if there were no holes, then it should have came with the roof rail trim that came all the way down to the horizontal section of the body of the car. There are two different sizes of the long curved roof rail trim. The longer piece is for falcon/comet hardtops that DID NOT have the horizontal trim piece...and the shorter one for those that DID.

I think this is strange...why would ford do that? My theory is that different factories may have done things differently...but that is just a guess.

If there is a gap in your trim in this location...then the longer roof rail trim piece would fill it. I don't think that this necessarily solves your potential problem with the gap that you describe though...as long as you have installed the roof rail weather strip...and trim for the weatherstrip...then I don't think there is another part that goes into that small gap...and perhaps the additional weatherstripping in that area would help....hope I did not confuse this post!

Al Aiello