PDA

View Full Version : Backup Lens Gasket

SmithKid
August 22nd, 2010, 06:04 PM
I haven't found replacement gaskets for '65 backup lenses. The best I have found is a 10" x 10" foam/nitrile material for $24.95 + $7.95 shipping to make my own. Quite pricey when I only need a 3" x 6" piece. Does anyone know where I can purchase the gaskets or a less expensive souce for the foam/nitrile material?

Luva65wagon
August 31st, 2010, 08:30 PM
Gene,

Which gaskets are these? The large ones for the red lense or the small ones for the clear lenses. I've got a lot of material types laying around here I can imagine making either gasket from. Don't know what the foam/nitrile material looks like.

SmithKid
August 31st, 2010, 10:29 PM
The gasket (or material) I'm looking for is for the backup light lens (clear). What I took out (in pieces) seems to be about 3/32" thick and seems to be a kind of foam material. Dearborn sells a 10" x 10" sheet for a price pretty close to that of gold, in my opinion. They call it foam/nitrile material. If I don't find a suitable replacement, I'm just going to use some strip caulk for temporary. What did you use for your backup lenses, Roger?

Luva65wagon
September 1st, 2010, 07:41 PM
Gene,

I managed across a pair of NOS lenses with chrome, but I have a lot of material that would, I think, make good gaskets in this application. Strip caulk being tar-based might ooze with the heat generated by the lamps, so I'd make gaskets from something. I may have some decent gaskets already. Will have to look. I bought a few sets of lenses over the years.