PDA

View Full Version : Wagon build

Jeff W
January 4th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Here is the wagon fresh back from the paint shop and home in the $175 Harbor Freight garage.

It's pretty small but when the sun is out it is easy to roll up the side tarp and go to it.

oh.. the 2 x 12s are using the weight of the car to hold down the tent. You are supposed to stake or bolt it down to the ground so it doesn't end up in your neighbors yard. I thought it was a good temporary solution and helps my wife believe it will be taken down someday... a hard sell if I'm out there with the rotohammer and concrete bolts.

doghows
January 5th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Looks great Jeff. i hope mine gets to that stage some day..... Send me pics of those parts you need, or just stop by for a visit... By the way if you go back to when I first posted on Sedan delivery pics, it has a good shot of the roof rack on my car. I will get som closer measurements tonight if I don't forget....
Keep up the great work it is keeping me inspired right now.... Body work sucks...:doh:

Luva65wagon
January 5th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Very nice Jeff. And the wagon looks pretty good too.

redfalken
January 5th, 2011, 10:15 PM
It looks even shinier up close!

Jeff W
January 8th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Kenny says, "Do one thing a day".

Lao Tzo said "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".

Here are my "steps" last week:

1) Rebuilt both vent windows: Fifty years of California Sun can really do a number on those rubber seals. It's hard to believe that all those black chunks of ceramic looking material next to the bare window frame used to be pliable. It was quite a chore getting it removed from the frame.

2) Install the new hood to cowl seal and align the hood.

3) Strip the dash naked in preparation for paint. Whomever installed the Instrument Cluster at the factory must have been amazingly flexible. To remove one of the screws that hold a wire harness bracket I had my arm stuck through the speaker hole in the top of the dash. There was a moment of panic when I couldn't easily remove my arm from the hole... I had a flash of the recent movie where the lone hiker wedged his arm between two rocks and used his leatherman to amputate. I am not looking forward to the reinstallation.

4) Mount primary hood latch. I am pleased the painter did a nice job cleaning and spraying the underside of the hood. It was pretty rough when I brought it in.

Jeff W
January 8th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Tomorrow's project: machine the division bars. These mount behind the vent windows and provide a fuzzy channel for the door glass to ride in. I chose the less expensive generic bars so I need to make the two on the left look like the two on the right.

Easy to do with a Bridgeport Mill. Not so easy with a hand held Dremmel. Guess which method I'm stuck with.:doh:

Luva65wagon
January 9th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Jeff - are you going with Palomino again on the dash - and paint the doors that color too? Or do two colors? Looks like the doors are the green now.

Jeff W
January 9th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Yes, I will be going with the original color on the dash, doors, tailgate and all around the window trim. The body shop sanded all the ugly green off the inside of the doors and shot them when they jambed it. I thing I can just do a scuff and squirt on the doors.

It was a bit of a learning experience with the Palomino. After buying five cans of the expensive Falcon Palomino from Dearborn, I rudely discovered it does not match my original color. The Dearborn paint would be a match for your 64-65 Falcon Palomino. My 63 color is the same as 64-65 Mustang "Medium Palomino Metallic".

I just ordered eight cans of paint and three cans of vinyl dye in the correct color. It's a bit darker and... Umm, metallic. Thanks for the tip on National Parts Depot. Their paint is about half the cost of anywhere else I found.

BillP 98201
January 10th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Automotive Supply can match paint colors to be sprayed from a can....... They supply paint to alot of local body shops.

Luva65wagon
January 10th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Jeff, I couldn't find paint in a rattle can that exactly matched my color from Dearborn. I did get some of the NPD stuff and it was great - but I had more painting to do that I wanted to do with rattle cans, so that's why I mixed up my own. But that was a pain....

Jeff W
January 18th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Couple more items checked off the list.

1) Cleaned up and painted the Instrument Cluster. It's not chrome but silver paint is good enough for me.

2) Mounted the Jaguar Gas Filler for the last time.

3) I noticed the gas tank was slanted when I bought the car and never took the time to dig deeper. Yesterday I climbed under and found the PO used the wrong mounting holes so the tank would not nestle into the frame relief... simple fix. Before and after picts below.

SmithKid
January 22nd, 2011, 10:12 PM
Sorry it took me so long to try to get you a picture of the rear bumper/body seal on my Ranchero. It turns out it is very difficult to get a decent picture with the bumper in place, but here it is for what it's worth. it is taken from the floor looking up. the roundish circle is the license plate light that hasn't been cut out yet. the seal is tucked into the "ledge" created byt the license plate area in the bumper (probably self explanatory) and it is kinda wrinkled, but will do the job untile the correct piece can be found.

Jeff W
January 30th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the photo Gene. I cut the corners off my piece so it would lay flat... I think it will work okay.

Here are pictures from the last weekend. Kenny brought over a little propane heater and it brought my tarp tent up to 70 degrees. I painted the dash and the rear area. I didn't do it all, that can wait until warmer weather, i just wanted to get enough done to allow window installation.

Jeff W
January 30th, 2011, 07:22 PM
I was only able to squeeze in a few hours this weekend.

Finished up the headlights. Blasted and painted the buckets, installed new three prong plugs (the old guys were cracked), and one adjuster with plastic nut. It's almost street legal (if sitting on a milk crate while driving is considered legal).

NEW bulbs and dielectric grease all the way around.

Installed the Instrument Cluster and a couple of the repop knobs. This involves breaking off the molded on knobs with a Vice Grip and tapping some threads on the shaft.

Installed the new defrost cones and tubes.

It is extremely rewarding to be clearing some of these boxes off the bench.

Luva65wagon
January 30th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Nice work Jeff. Such dedication in the cold out-of-doors!

Question about the gas cap. Where did you get it and was the bracket you welded in something that came with - or did you have to cut it out from a donor car? Do you have any pictures of the underside connected to the tank? Rick's site (you link'd to elsewhere) seems to indicate he cut it out using tin-snips or something and they have two height versions. Maybe you have a few more pictures of it you can post?

Gracias.

doghows
January 31st, 2011, 08:33 AM
Very nice Jeff; I am jealous. Can't wait to see if mine looks as good. It reminds me of how much work I still have ahead of me???:o

Jeff W
January 31st, 2011, 09:34 PM
Roger's request to post more fabrication pictures.

After several months of disappointing Pull-A-part searching, I bought the Jaguar Gas Cap on Ebay for about $22 with shipping.

The "Cup" assembly was also bought off of an Ebay vendor but not from an auction. I searched around for a vendor selling a cap where the photos were taken with the cap still mounted on a car (junk yard obviously). Just emailed the seller asking if they would be willing to cut the well from the fender and how much. It was $40 including shipping. I asked for about a 1" lip of the old fender.

Kenny and I did two things to this "cup assembly" before cutting the fender to weld.
1) The cup assembly is basically a "turned up" well that is spot welded to the "turned down" lip of the fender. Some careful grinding separated the spot welds that held the two together. We just used the inner cup portion.

2) Moved the drain nipple. As you can imagine, this thing would fill up with rain water. The old mounting position on the Jaguar was level, now that it is slightly slanted, the old drain nipple had to be moved to the lowest point of the well. Cut off and fill the old hole, weld nipple in new position, drill hole through the middle. I'll just stick a length of rubber hose to exit the the water.

Here are the only other pictures I took other than the items in the other post.

I have not connected the new filler to the tank yet. The Jaguar cap is 2-1/2" hose - I'll get a length then bring it to a muffler shop and have them bend the gentle "S" to make the connection. Let you know how it goes.

Luva65wagon
February 1st, 2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks Jeff-

I bought one of these too, but can try to see if one of the dealers on ebay will hack out that piece. My guess is I'll end up fab'ing my own. And with my driveways being so steep, the original spot for the drain may be best all the way in the back for 90% of it's life.

Did you get a key with yours?

Jeff W
February 1st, 2011, 07:43 PM
Yes, my cap came with a working key. You don't need to have the key to open and close, just to lock when it is already in the closed position.

If I was going to fab my own, I would make it slightly deeper that the original. You are welcome to come over after work and check it out in person. I wish Pull-A-Part had an online list of cars on the lot - you could just keep checking until one appears in the inventory. I can't imagine there is a big demand for this well.

Is this for your Ranchero or are you cutting into the wagon?

Luva65wagon
February 1st, 2011, 09:21 PM
It would be for the Ranchero. This will be driven more than my wagon - and I hate filling up the wagon... but rarely do. I'm going to be hacking and welding - so may as well improve this area... while I'm at it. :WHATTHE: Ahh! There's those words again!

Jeff W
February 1st, 2011, 09:24 PM
Remember; Ford owned Jaguar from 1989 - 2008 so you are installing an OEM part there.:rocker:

OH, there was a little nipple on the neck of the Jaguar Cap... probably for some kind of Emissions Canister. I used a torch to heat and pull it right out. Used epoxy and a perfectly sized solid rivet to drive in the hole.

Luva65wagon
February 1st, 2011, 09:57 PM
Good point! I feel so much better now. :BEER:

I saw that nipple in one of the many pictures of this I looked at.

Also, the one I got was $24 on a BIN auction, so not much different than what you paid.

doghows
February 2nd, 2011, 08:23 AM
Modifications already?? You are nuts.
Jeff I will have your parts at the house so they will make it back this time. Can't wait to see your wagon in person. Looks great..

Luva65wagon
February 2nd, 2011, 08:54 PM
It's already all done... in my head. You gotta see it done there first and everything else in between are the things that drive a person nuts. :rolleyes:

Jeff, we'll be sure to keep your parts separate from all the other parts. [thumb]

Jeff W
February 2nd, 2011, 11:12 PM
You can send them home with Kenny, I see him occasionally.

Jeff W
February 6th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I don't care for the look of the factory cloth covered wind-lace. This glue is stinky but we don't have the correct foot for our sewing machine to "stitch the ditch".

Tape it down; the drying contact adhesive causes the material to curl and stick to itself.

I made 18 feet of it.

Jeff W
February 6th, 2011, 11:36 AM
The 1960-63 door handles are $130 for a replacement set. The 1964-65 Falcon (and I've heard Mustang which explains the lower cost) are $30 brand new.

It took about one hour to modify the newer handles to work on my '63.

1) Calculate where the new mounting hole is needed and drill. I was conservative with the initial hole and used a small file to sneak up on the correct position as I wanted to leave as much "meat" between the new and the old holes. My pencil point is touching fairly close to the correct hole placement, notice the difference in hole orientation between the two handles in that same picture.

2) The old button and guts were relocated to the new handle. I think I could make some sort of extension to the new button actuator "peg" and use the new chrome button. The chrome on my old buttons were okay so I didn't take the time.

Jeff W
February 6th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Took the plastic window out of my best tailgate badge and repainted the colors. Thanks Steve for providing my best badge... the junk car that keeps on giving.

It was easy as all of the old paint was missing... not just faded. Where does it go?

First paint the entire back in gold and wipe off with lacquer thinner so gold only lives in the embossed area. A steady hand and a small brush gets the other colors (Black, Blue and Red) where they need to be. Wait a day and cover the entire back with silver spray paint. The silver not only gives the silver color to the last open window, but really makes the other colors POP.

Jeff W
February 6th, 2011, 11:57 AM
My door locks were missing the flip up doors, were very temperamental about working with my worn out keys and the PO had ruined the finish when using the DA to poorly remove the old paint.

$100 bought two door locks, the ignition lock and two new keys.

I went ahead and bought a replacement tumbler for the tailgate crank as well.

Move the actuator arms to the new locks.

Jeff W
February 6th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Wagons have a tin plate that lives behind the rear seat. This is basically an extension of the cargo bed and is removable so you can access the rear shock tower.

The top portion of my original plate was rusty, but the bottom was serviceable.

Steve gave me one with the top portion serviceable, but the bottom was rusty.

Time to put some chocolate in my peanut butter. ;) A graft is in order.

Jeff W
February 6th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Home-made wind lace and ceiling insulation.

I cleaned up the headliner bows in preparation for the intimidating job of installation. Boy that is a long roof.

doghows
February 7th, 2011, 08:39 AM
If I knew that badge was turning out so well I would have charged more for it?? Glad to see the parts are going to good use.
I think Kenny has your bag of parts from this weekend I hope I got all the stuff you wanted.
The car is looking awesome. I am sure I wll be calling on you when I put mine back together. [thumb]

Luva65wagon
February 7th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Nice progress Jeff. Lots of great tips too! But that reminds me...

Hey Steve, one thing I was going to look at on that wagon was to drill out the screw heads to pull the door handles off that car and to see if the door locks had the flappers on them. Would be worth pulling those off -- they looked pretty good. Also was going to get the right-rear arm rest off and space that out too. And... and... :)

doghows
February 8th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I will add them to the list. I found a couple other things I need still as well. I think it might be another weekend or two before I haul away the carcasses.
Anybody else let me know and I will check the car's ?? before they become BMW's. Thanks Steve..

P.S. I have mentioned about body work right???:doh:
P.S.S. Sawzalls are fun !!!!

Jeff W
February 9th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Cleaned up the bows and inserted them into the new headliner. The living room floor was the only area large enough to lay it all out.

Glad I marked the bows when removing them. They all have different contours.

Now I'm letting the headliner "relax" in the basement next to my two wheeled flock. the plan is a Sunday morning installation. I'm not sure Kenny and I know what we are in for... wish us luck.

doghows
February 10th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I will be very interested in your results. I am going to attempt all this myself as well. Headliners scare me. I want to try and do my own door panels and so forth. Keep me (us) posted. Good luck[thumb]

Luva65wagon
February 10th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Jeff - you have a few toys yourself there. Didn't know you were into motorcycles. And cool ones too.

And yes, please take lots of pictures when you put that in. I someday hope to do this in my wagon. And will do the Ranchero too, now. It's got a nifty headliner in it right now. Pictures to come, I'm sure, of that.

doghows
February 10th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Roger I thought the custom western Naugahyde headliner was the key selling point for you?? After all the visors match??[thumb]

Jeff W
February 13th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I'm going to have a go at my own door panels as well. For $30 I bought the three yards material. Used some for my wind lace and have plenty to make some door panels. Here is a sample I was goofing around with. I found that a piece flat bar stock in a 400 F oven (I was making Pizza at the time) made a factory perfect impression in the vinyl.

The secret is covering the material with one layer of tin foil to keep the vinyl from sticking to the metal.

I'll work on some kind of falcon brand to give the panels a unique, but period look.

Jeff W
February 13th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks to Kenny, the headliner is in!.

It wasn't any harder than anything else I have done on the car.

Just patience and common sense. It's not perfect but looks pretty good for a couple of amateurs working in an extremely small garage when it is 55 degrees outside. I will try the steam through the dome light hole to see if that tightens it up a bit. (Update 2013... the steam did not tighten it up after installation ... i think the professionals steam while stretching during install)

Tips: Windshield out (Kenny is actually sitting on my dash while stretching the front- a full size version of the dashboard Jesus). A little glue goes a long way. Binder clips. Electric heaters. Tiny scissors. Two people really helped with some of the longer stretches... that is one long roof.

It took us about five hours including prep, looking for missing parts, lunch and breaks for fresh air and to check up on Brian's engine install (two houses away).

No reservations, just go for it. A large heated garage would have cut the time down to three hours. A Ranchero would take about 15 minutes. I don't know who started the "hire a professional" rumor... probably the professionals.

redfalken
February 13th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Tips: Windshield out (Kenny is actually sitting on my dash while stretching the front- a full size version of the dashboard Jesus)...

As they say, do unto other's Falcons before you do unto yours! Always good to get in some practice. More room and a warm summer day would have helped but it wasn't too bad!

doghows
February 14th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Looks good to me. It should tighten right up. Practice on a couple more and I wil let you know when I am ready for mine to go in...

Luva65wagon
February 14th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Pretty awesome. I think you could take a heat gun and slowly shrink up all those wrinkles - no problem.

I found a red headliner for the Ranchero on ebay for $40 - so you guys can come over and spend, what was it, 15 minutes, and do mine when I'm ready - since you guys are now "the professionals." I'm also toying with doing a vinyl roof too. Should I do them both at the same time? :D

pbrown
February 14th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Pretty awesome. I think you could take a heat gun and slowly shrink up all those wrinkles - no problem.

I found a red headliner for the Ranchero on ebay for $40 - so you guys can come over and spend, what was it, 15 minutes, and do mine when I'm ready - since you guys are now "the professionals." I'm also toying with doing a vinyl roof too. Should I do them both at the same time? :D

The vinyl roof should only take another 15 minutes.

pbrown
February 14th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Looks good Jeff. Maybe we can have a headliner tech day to do mine this summer.

Jeff W
February 22nd, 2011, 07:45 PM
Windshield and one side (fixed) window installed.

The windshield rubber (Dennis Carpenter USA) fit and function was perfect.

The side window seal was made in Thailand and was not so perfect. The slots that the trim is inserted into stopped short on both ends by about 1". We did the best we could to open it up with a razor, but I still had to grind a bit off of the little tang that inserts into he rubber seal slot.

We did have a small problem with the lower Windshield stainless trim wanting to migrate out of the slot during install. We finally just went for it and used a rubber mallet to lightly tap it back home. If there is a trick, I'm all ears.

doghows
March 23rd, 2011, 08:12 AM
Jeff is your car done yet?? Haven't seen anything lately. Hope it is still moving forward.?.

Jeff W
April 26th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Okay... my car is done.

Oh, wait... it's not.

I haven't had much time to do anything on it lately. I did rebuild the carb that Steve gave me and it is running super. I drove it back to the paint shop last Saturday and he is going to fix the tailgate bubbles, repaint both doors, hood and front fenders. The more I looked it the difference in metallic reflection, the more it irritated me. He shot the front fenders off the car laying flat on stands, so the metallic flakes were oriented differently than the adjoining surfaces... I guess gravity pulls the flakes when the paint is still liquid. The hood was "spotty" as in the metallic wasn't mixed in evenly or not enough coats or something. The doors, as discussed before, were slightly more green than the rest of the car.

We chatted a bit and he said he would re-shoot the front and take care of the tailgate. He was so receptive I offered to kick in $200 to help cover paint and clear coat - I think I saw him smile.

I did have time to do something with the junk fender badges I picked up on ebay for $13. It's not chrome but they look pretty nice. Good as "placeholders" until you guys present me with a pair of NOS emblems for being such a stand up guy.:D

Luva65wagon
April 26th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Jeff - those look fantastic! I'm impressed.

Sorry to hear about all the paint mess. I hope he gets it right for you this time.

Jeff W
April 30th, 2011, 11:43 PM
I visited my car today in the paint ship... he was prepping the entire body (not the greenhouse area) for a repaint. He said it was easier that trying to blend and I would be happier with the results. I asked him to squat down a bit more to get the bottom of the fender lips and lower portions of the rockers... those areas were pretty light the last time around.

I spent a few minutes to remove the tailights, wiper pivots and gas filler... afraid he would just mask around these. He will still have to mask the one quarter window and the windshield as I'm not prepared to go through that again.

falcon cobra
May 17th, 2011, 03:56 PM
jeff,,I forgot to ask at the swap meet the other day, how your wagon is comming ? how did the paint come out ?
john h[thumb]

Jeff W
May 17th, 2011, 07:29 PM
jeff,,I forgot to ask at the swap meet the other day, how your wagon is comming ? how did the paint come out ?
john h[thumb]

Your question couldn't have been timed better... Kenny and I just picked it up from the body shop an hour ago.

It's all the same color now and the tailgate shows no sign of bubbles.
There are a few tiny issues but I am much happier with it this time around than last. He even squatted down a bit more on the repaint (I asked him to) and put good coverage on the rockers and wheel well lips.

I can't wait to start putting the shiny stuff back on.

Luva65wagon
May 17th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Jeff,

Your car has rear facing seats? :WHATTHE:

I wish I was as far as you are right about now. :(

Jeff W
May 17th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Jeff,

Your car has rear facing seats? :WHATTHE:

Umm, yes it's a rare feature on the two door wagons... Don't worry, I have them strapped in with bungie cords.:rocker:

falcon cobra
May 18th, 2011, 01:14 PM
jeff I sure hope you didn't put a painting of kenny and the tent on your tailgate !...it sure looks good I really like the color...jh

Jeff W
May 18th, 2011, 04:00 PM
jeff I sure hope you didn't put a painting of kenny and the tent on your tailgate !...it sure looks good I really like the color...jh

Actually that is my wife in the reflection taking the picture... she looks better in person.

falcon cobra
May 19th, 2011, 03:59 PM
OH OH tell your wife I'am sorry, I just asumed it was kenny sinse he helped you get it home...will you be at the ford picnic in june ? jh:3g:

Jeff W
May 19th, 2011, 05:13 PM
.will you be at the ford picnic in june ? jh:3g:

I am planning on attending... I may not have all the glass in so it better be dry.

Here is the link with the details on the Picnic:

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1565

Jeff W
June 5th, 2011, 10:12 PM
A few shots from last week.

Parts hanging in the basement waiting to be reinstalled

Kenny installing rear rock guard

Patrick kneeling at the Falcon Alter

Painting an entire car Ming Green

Matching the jams to the outside paint color. The body shop repaint was not quite the same color. Since they did not repaint the jambs, underside of the hood and a few misc items, Patrick offered to shoot a few of the offending areas while Brian watches. Thanks Patrick!

doghows
June 6th, 2011, 08:18 AM
It was good to see your car out at the show. I can't wait till mine gets that close. Looks great.

Jeff W
September 12th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I was able to pick away at a few more items. I'm a bit embarrassed at my pace when compared to some of the other projects on the site.

Kick panels dyed and installed. These had to be trimmed slightly and I used a heat gun to massage the edges and top for a better fit.
Carpet - Medium Saddle (ACC Molded with the extra sound deadening -mass backing). I also bought an extra two yards of bulk to use in the cargo area. I'll get the edges bound after it's cut to size.
Seat belts
Door Sills

doghows
September 13th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I like it! Shoulder belts front and rear. Looking good.
As far as your pace your doing great, look at mine 2 years and I am still on body work???? Can't wait to see paint or something besides bondo on mine... Did I mention about body work?:doh:

Jeff W
September 14th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I never posted the pictures showing my custom beltline (window fuzzies).

Like Roger, I didn't like the poor sealing action that the factory fuzzies provide.

I bought bulk window seals from Restoration Specialties & Supply.

Outside Beltline with the stainless bead PN: YM1599
Inside beltline (similar to OEM fuzzy material) PN:YM52RP
For mounting the outside belt I drilled holes in the belt that lined up with the original holes meant for the clips and secured with stainless pan head screws with a washer and nut on the inside.

It took some dremmel trimming to modify the belt trim to fit around the door brace and the pivot for the wing window. I also had to trim some of the rubber to match end profiles and where it meets the division bar. Easy to do, just took some measuring and confidence when cutting into a $40 stick (96" long).

It ran about $140 to do the four windows - stock fuzzies would have been a lot less work and about 1/2 the cost. For me blocking 90% of the water that used to disappear into the door was worth the price.

I am happy how they came out.

redfalken
September 14th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Pictures don't do it justice. And the stainless bead adds a nice touch. I'm in the process of doing mine right now. The back windows are in and I'm ready to start cutting the driver's side tomorrow.

Time will tell but I think these will last a good long time and keep a lot of water out!

BPVan
September 18th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I have done a couple of test fits on my van with the sample you gave me, it seems like the way to go. Looks like the trim around the wing window posts worked out real well.

Luva65wagon
September 20th, 2011, 11:03 PM
So Jeff... you use new style on the outside and regular fuzzies on the inside?

I'm just about to look at doing this again... I bought something a couple months ago, but have not looked close at it yet. Yours, going full length outside, looks really nice.

Jeff W
September 22nd, 2011, 02:08 PM
So Jeff... you use new style on the outside and regular fuzzies on the inside?

I'm just about to look at doing this again... I bought something a couple months ago, but have not looked close at it yet. Yours, going full length outside, looks really nice.

Yes - new Hot Rod rubber on the outside - original type whiskers on the inside. I bought the original type in bulk and cut to size. Cut slightly longer and folded the chrome bead down to give a finished edge as OEM.

Luva65wagon
September 23rd, 2011, 09:50 AM
What I ended up with (from some-where - not sure I recall) is short by 6" going front to rear on the length of the door. I may just do the same as you and get the stainless stuff. I can put that on later - after it has moved to the carport. Thanks.

Jeff W
October 29th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I drove the wagon to Ballard today, my longest exploration since re-assembly. After I fought with the bad coil, resistance wire and carburetor issues, it all seems to be solved. the 20 mile round trip in heavy traffic went smooth.

Why choose Ballard you ask? I met Jake at his OFI shop to pick up some 50 year old seat covers. They are really beautiful! I am in love with that Steerhead Pattern. It will take some time to rebuild and paint the seat bases (there is a lot of metal on that rear, fold down seat)... but come some sunny day in the future (Next May?) I can hog ring these babies on. They are supple, thick and even smell good.I think I may sleep on them tonight.

the extra picture is from a tractor I saw last month... 1953 Ford Golden Jubilee. Would that guy look good in my tailgate or what!?

BillP 98201
October 30th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Same seat covers as my parents 62 station wagon. Old memories.......:BEER:

Jeff W
October 30th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Same seat covers as my parents 62 station wagon. Old memories.......:BEER:

Bill, you are welcome to sit in the back seat and play with your Stretch Armstrong or GI Joe anytime... BUT if I have to turn around ant tell you to shut up one more time, I'm taking you straight home.

redfalken
October 30th, 2011, 02:50 PM
... but come some sunny day in the future (Next May?)...

May!? :WHATTHE: You'll have lots of other things to do in May. This is more of a "sewing" project than a typical dirty car project. No smelly chemicals involved. So technically Janice should let you bring it upstairs.

I'll bet a space heater would get that small room by the downstairs bathroom pretty warm! And a heat gun, held a couple feet away, would help with last minute adjustments.

I'll be over next Saturday....

BillP 98201
October 31st, 2011, 06:38 AM
Jeff...... Are we there yet?

doghows
October 31st, 2011, 08:22 AM
Get all that old upholstery off, and bring the frames over here. We could blast them off in an hour or so. Then you could paint them or we could powder them up!?! I have been seeing a lot of seat frames lately. Let me know if I can help. Good luck either way. Looks good too.

Luva65wagon
October 31st, 2011, 12:29 PM
Steve, If you have the station wagon out there still, it had the rear frame stuff. You could start and exchange service.

Looks very nice Jeff. So... did OFI take your first-born child in exchange for that stuff? Or just an arm and maybe a leg?

My seats in my wagon were done with OFI stuff, and even after 10 years if smells good in there. :D

Jeff W
October 31st, 2011, 07:38 PM
Looks very nice Jeff. So... did OFI take your first-born child in exchange for that stuff? Or just an arm and maybe a leg?

My seats in my wagon were done with OFI stuff, and even after 10 years if smells good in there. :D

As you know, I am probably the most frugal person in the club, that's likely why you elected me treasurer. These seats were the same price as the modern replacements I have seen at other Falcon vendors... Plus I haven't seen the Steerhead reproduced for premade covers, just bolts that I would have to take somewhere for custom seats. I feel it was a great deal for quality covers from a local guy that will stand behind the product and offer advice on batting and hog ringing.

Jeff W
October 31st, 2011, 10:59 PM
Get all that old upholstery off, and bring the frames over here. We could blast them off in an hour or so. Then you could paint them or we could powder them up!?! I have been seeing a lot of seat frames lately. Let me know if I can help. Good luck either way. Looks good too.

My seat frames are pretty clean so a scuff and shoot is probably all they need. I wish you were on this side of the water... you would get tired of me showing up at your door with "small" projects.

I'll likely have a Norton frame and swing arm for you blast and coat next spring so you are not off the hook. I also have a few parts I want you to test your Chrome Powder and Clear Coat on such as some roof rack brackets and tubes, the Norton fenders and some other smalls I'l had my eye on.:rocker:

Luva65wagon
November 2nd, 2011, 03:36 PM
I feel it was a great deal for quality covers from a local guy that will stand behind the product and offer advice on batting and hog ringing.

Indeed - this is worth it. And glad to hear you still have all your limbs and children. :D

Jeff W
January 24th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Plugging away...

Luva65wagon
January 24th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Real nice Jeff. That steer-head pattern is almost hypnotic. :cool:

I'm bringing that hose for your Jag cap tomorrow. It worked well on mine. Hopefully what I have left you can use.

BadBird
January 26th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Looking absolutely fabulous. Can't wait to see it Jeff. Larry

Jeff W
February 22nd, 2012, 08:55 PM
New 1-1/4" foam in the bottom seat and two layers of thin batting over the original cotton and burlap. The old foam was bad shape and removed.

All the metal sanded and painted. There is a lot of surface to cover.

I think they look great and will look even better after a few full days in the hot sun.

Now I tackle the front. :banana:

jw

SmithKid
February 22nd, 2012, 09:05 PM
I agree. They look great!

Luva65wagon
February 22nd, 2012, 09:05 PM
Very nice Jeff!

Say... those chains under the seat... are those my missing chains by chance?

pbrown
February 22nd, 2012, 09:50 PM

Hmmm...

:WHATTHE:

redfalken
February 22nd, 2012, 10:00 PM
And I have to work with him every day!! [BOW]

Jeff W
February 22nd, 2012, 10:01 PM
Very nice Jeff!

I thought those were supports for my sex swing... but those are all accounted for.:banana:

Luva65wagon
February 22nd, 2012, 10:10 PM
So, I'm confused... was that a "yes, those are probably your missing chains" or a "no, those are for my leveler?"

If they are mine, any chance I can get them before this weekend. We could make use of the leveler if I had those.

:confused:

pbrown
February 22nd, 2012, 10:19 PM
So, I'm confused... was that a "yes, those are probably your missing chains" or a "no, those are for my leveler?"

If they are mine, any chance I can get them before this weekend. We could make use of the leveler if I had those.

I'm pretty sure they are yours. We used Jeff's hoist with your tilter for Gary's and Kenny's engine.

Jeff W
February 22nd, 2012, 10:23 PM

Yes, those are your chains. I found them tonight in the box of stuff returned with my engine hoist. I placed them strategically for the photo so you would jump out of your chair when you noticed them. Return plan is in your other post "case of missing chains"

I don't have a leveler... or a sex swing:ROTFLMAO:

Luva65wagon
February 22nd, 2012, 10:30 PM
Yeah - I just saw that. You were being very sneaky.

And don't try to kid us... we know you got something goin' on. :eek:

Jeff W
March 11th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Front bench is now done. The seat backs had some broken springs so I stripped my spare seat and made one good one out of the two. If anyone needs some front bench parts (springs, frame), speak up soon.

A bit more work with the carpet and I can bolt these guys in for the last time.

Since I stretched the covers in my cold basement rather than the recommended 80 degree day in the sunlight, I thought I would do a little experiment with the wrinkles. I used my 500 watt halogen work light as a "non-contact" iron. I only tried one spot but the 50 year storage wrinkles came right out. I'm confident that come August these seats will look as good as if they were installed by professionals in 1963.

The Seat bottom on the front bench was by far the hardest to pull on. I had the seat upside down on the floor and was working it for all I was worth. I finished last night and my hands still ache from gripping, pulling and working the material. It was pretty hard to do it alone. an assistant would have been nice to install the hog rings while I was pulling it to the right spot.

Now looking at the completed seats (especially after how poor the originals were - the raccoon did a number on them) it was one of the more rewarding tasks so far.

BillP 98201
March 12th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Great work Jeff
:rocker:

Luva65wagon
March 12th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Just like brand new! I'm sure once it has had our one day of summer it with smooth right out. I had to restretch my wagon seats about 10 years after they were done by Jake (he'd done them before I got the car), so you might want to as well someday.

Jeff W
March 18th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Put the carpet in the cargo area. I made some edge binding to cover the raw edge and hand stitched with nylon thread. Aluminum angle covered the front edge of the cargo carpet and the bits I had to add under the back seat. There is quite a lot of floor visible under the wagon rear seat... even when in normal position.

All went fine until I noticed some big red blotches on the new carpet... after closer inspection I noticed, somehow, I had ripped open two of my knuckles.

I included a picture of the "two" old covers from the front seat, one right over the top of the other, both hog-ringed on. Also the new cover slipping over the seat back in case someone wonders what is under there.

SmithKid
March 18th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Gettin' nicer and nicer and nicer, Jeff. Looks super!

Luva65wagon
March 18th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Looking pretty awesome Jeff. You have the door panels you were working on done already? Looking at these pictures reminded me that I left a SnapOn screwdriver in my DS rear window area - after I had all the panels on, seat belts bolted in, seat bolted in. It's still there because it's not easy to pull and install that panel with everything in. But I should probably do that soon. :o

Jeff W
March 18th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Looking pretty awesome Jeff. You have the door panels you were working on done already?

I haven't even started the panels yet. I was hoping I could squeeze it in later but now you have me worried ::NERVOUS: What is done is done I guess.

Luva65wagon
March 18th, 2012, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't be too worried. I think the worst part will be getting the floor brackets screwed in. And besides, what's done is often undone and redone a few times, sometimes. We all know this by now... :doh:

redfalken
March 18th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Sweet! I can't wait to spill the first juice box!! Maybe cherry to match the blood stains
Good job...cheers! :BEER:

Jeff W
April 18th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Two panels down, three to go.

doghows
April 19th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Very nice, get all your practice in because the delivery is going together soon. Starting the paint this weekend.

SmithKid
April 19th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Man! Those look sharp, Jeff.

Jeff W
April 19th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I am really happy how they are turning out. Total will run me about $130 for all five panels. $75 of that is for the 1/8" ABS plastic sheets used for the base board ($25 of that is freight). At least they will not warp from the weather like the original hardboard. (www.interstateplastics.com (http://www.interstateplastics.com))

$30 in adhesive (Permatex Carpet and Headliner adhesive)
$20 for the solid tan material
$4 for the chrome strip
The wonderful Steer Head material was provided by Jake @ OFI from a damaged seat bottom he had laying around.[thumb]

I have to thank Falconeer for his advice and motivation.[thumb]

doghows
April 19th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Hey Jeff, hang on to those back panels if you can. Mine did not have any and the way I want to do mine I need to make some like those. I could use your old ones as a template. Thanks Steve:sawzall:

BPVan
April 19th, 2012, 12:30 PM
I got to see them in person this past weekend and I was very impressed. I really like the approach, it looks sharp and should last a long time even against Kenny's slurpee spills.

Luva65wagon
April 19th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Sweet Jeff. Very sweet.

[BOW]

Jeff W
April 19th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Hey Jeff, hang on to those back panels if you can. Mine did not have any and the way I want to do mine I need to make some like those. I could use your old ones as a template. Thanks Steve:sawzall:

Consider if done. I'll give you the one I DIDN'T cut up. I cut one right at the transition between the two colors to make a cutting template. I laid the template on both layers of new material and cut through both at the same time to insure a perfect joint. I didn't really need to cover it with the chrome strip... but chrome looks good.:rocker:

redfalken
April 19th, 2012, 10:48 PM
I saw them up close and personal too...very nice looking panels!

Can't wait to see them with the carpet and seats in place. We'll take a test cruise to the 7-11 for an ice cold beverage!

doghows
April 20th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Thanks that will be very helpful putting mine together. Picked up the paint this morning for the inside so cross your fingers.

Jeff W
April 23rd, 2012, 09:52 PM
They fit!

Now I need to find some decent window cranks. I have the new white knobs but my handles look like the dark side of the cratered moon. maybe I'll get lucky in Monroe.

doghows
April 24th, 2012, 08:19 AM
How many do you need Jeff?? Let me look through my piles and see if I have any that are decent. I know I have a few around just not sure of the quality...:sawzall:

Luva65wagon
April 24th, 2012, 09:51 AM
I know I have at least one crank with a decent knob. May have others with less than moon-size craters. I've got to get "up there" and search through all the junk I have - have got to clean house in prep for the swap meet anyway - so you are welcome to any spares I have too.

Jeff, this is looking so totally clean. Can't wait to see it in person!

Also, hope the carb adapter was satisfactory. I'm going to begin looking at that project this week and see what I can come up with. Maybe a combo of Kenny's and my concoction. I want to try to keep the stock bell-crank - if possible.

Jeff W
April 24th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I have one decent window crank and need three more that are "average to better".

I already have the repop knobs so just concerned about crank arm condition.

Yes- Kenny forwarded the adapter plate for the Weber - looks like a nice piece of gear. Can't wait to see the progress on your conversion and copy the best points of it...:banana:

Luva65wagon
April 24th, 2012, 12:53 PM
You can have my spare crank. I doubt I'll ever need it. If you have good knobs, I may have others. I'm sure between :sawzall: and I we'll have enough to get you rolling.

The biggest challenge will be to make the pin that sticks out for the bell-crank to pivot on, me thinks. But if I make one, I may go ahead and make two - since it's always faster the second time. Or maybe 3 or 4 or 5. :) I may think of this as a "kit" I can offer to those wanting to adapt. None of the existing kits are an easy bolt-on swap. May be lofty, but we'll see what I can do.

Luva65wagon
April 25th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Jeff, I'm mailing you 3 cranks. One should be there tomorrow and I consider that one a "use-as-is" and two more to follow, which I dug out tonight. The two I found today need new knobs, and the chrome is about a 5.5/10. Use 'em in the back.

Jeff W
April 26th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Thanks Roger. You don't have to mail them. I'm not in a huge rush. I will see you in a few weeks.

Luva65wagon
April 26th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Well, you'll have enough to do the front for now. I'll hold onto the others until the meeting.

doghows
April 26th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I found a couple of them in my piles as well. I will set them aside, and/or send them over when the next victim erh customer comes over.:sawzall:

Jeff W
May 5th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I finished up and installed all four of the door panels and I am very pleased. As Roger foreshadowed, it required that I unbolt the rear seat to gain better access to the lower trim strip that holds the bottom of the panel and the top edge of the carpet.

Installed the two front window cranks (thanks Roger) and discovered I forgot to put the large springs behind the panel... apparently these hold the panel tight against the crank to fill the gap and prevent rattling of the crank. So off came the handles, armrests and panels.

I don't have it in me to pull the seat again to get behind the rear panels for spring installation. Maybe somewhere down the road.

The new plastic "friction disks" I bought from Dearborn are too small on the O.D. and allow the window crank to rub in my new panel. I ended up using the two I had taken off. The new guys were only a few dollars but I may have as well threw that cash in the fire... Worthless.:(

Jeff W
September 3rd, 2012, 04:56 PM
I measured six times before I drilled the 18 holes for the roof rack. I put pipe dope on the screw threads to help keep the water out.

The rubber nut things are called "Well Nuts".

I think it looks pretty good.

redfalken
September 3rd, 2012, 05:20 PM
Nice! Wagons always look better with a roof rack. I'll bet you're glad to check that one off your list!! [yay]

SmithKid
September 3rd, 2012, 05:32 PM
Very nice, Jeff! Looks like you're ready to throw some luggage up there and go camping/moteling for a week or so.

Jeff W
September 3rd, 2012, 07:21 PM
Very nice, Jeff! Looks like you're ready to throw some luggage up there and go camping/moteling for a week or so.

Yes... I need to think about what might look "period" strapped up there for the shows. Something that hasn't been done 100 times. No surfboards. Maybe a few 50 pound burlap bags of green coffee beans or a case of Grain Belt Beer.

BillP 98201
September 4th, 2012, 08:01 AM
NICE!!!! Looks great Jeff.

Luva65wagon
September 4th, 2012, 03:55 PM
You are a braver man than me Jeff. I would have cringed to drill a bunch of holes in my wagon roof. But it looks really nice.

[thumb]

Some vintage Skyway luggage would look nice up there. I suspect it is for looks more and not so much for use? In other words... empty luggage?

pbrown
September 4th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Yes... I need to think about what might look "period" strapped up there for the shows. Something that hasn't been done 100 times. No surfboards. Maybe a few 50 pound burlap bags of green coffee beans or a case of Grain Belt Beer.

Maybe Aunt Edna from Vacation.

http://desertstarweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/aunt-edna-vacation.jpg

Jeff W
September 4th, 2012, 11:19 PM
How about "Honk for grandma"

redfalken
September 5th, 2012, 12:13 AM
I don't wanna get political but you could pull a Mitt!

BPVan
September 5th, 2012, 01:22 PM
How about something functional? http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/161629.JPG

Jeff W
December 3rd, 2012, 08:34 AM
Monte Carlo bar is on. I had to slot the two inner bolt holes on the apron about 3/16” to get the top to rest on the fenders. Now to repair my belly bar where three POs ago cut for exhaust clearance.

Jeff W
September 11th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Here is what a few hours and $20 in paint can give you. When I change the drive-line in a year or two I will be able to do a better job. At least for now I wont be terribly embarrassed when I open the hood.

I was shocked when, after reassembling the harnesses and installing all the bits, it fired right up. My horn isn't working but I ran out of daylight to troubleshoot. I'm guessing the fresh paint insulated the relay from chassis ground.

I also gave up the bungee cord that used to hold down my battery.

Mounted the skirts.

pbrown
September 12th, 2013, 09:57 PM
It looks really good Jeff.

doghows
September 13th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Nicely done. You can bring your talents over for the assembly party in a week or so. (See reconstruction thread) looks nice Jeff.

SmithKid
September 13th, 2013, 03:50 PM
WOW! Lookin' GOOD!

ew1usnr
September 13th, 2013, 05:13 PM
I like your cow head upholstery, white steering wheel, white roof, and luggage rack. My first car while I was in high school was a base model 1963 four-door Falcon wagon with 170 motor and a Ford-O-Matic transmission. The car had a lot of nice features.

redfalken
September 13th, 2013, 05:16 PM
It will be on display this Sunday at the W. Seattle show...if the rain holds off. Come check it out!

I'm looking forward to seeing it in person. Now we gotta work on something to strap to the rack...

Jeff W
January 31st, 2016, 03:09 PM
I didn't always drive a wagon...

I used to be cool.

Here is a picture from 1995

BadBird
January 31st, 2016, 03:32 PM
Hot Dog! You were definitely cool in that beauty. Larry

ew1usnr
January 31st, 2016, 06:29 PM
Hot Dog! You were definitely cool in that beauty. Larry

Hello, Jeff.

Is the station wagon your second Falcon? It indicates that you must have been happy with the convertible or you would not have bought a second Falcon. It is also interesting that even though the convertible was "cool", for your second Falcon you chose the more functional station wagon.

I really like the station wagons. They have so much room inside and having glass all around makes them easy to see out of. I like the Rancheros, but the wagons give you cargo capacity plus a roof to keep it dry, a back seat for passengers, and you can add a roof rack.

If I were to ever get another Falcon I would probably look for a 1963 Falcon Fordor Wagon with a six-cylinder 170 like I had in high school. I like the 1963's because the had they had electric windshield wipers, self adjusting brakes, and hydraulic lifters. It was the perfect car.

Jeff W
February 2nd, 2016, 07:49 PM
Hi Dennis, I have had several Falcons and two Comets. This weekend I will scan in a few pictures and post.

I first bought them because they were inexpensive and easy to work on. Guess they became familiar.

BadBird
February 3rd, 2016, 02:31 PM
Jeff, your quote "I first bought them because they were inexpensive and easy to work on". That must be true. I haven't stopped working on mine since the day I took on the task of rebuilding it. Most is my fault, you are correct about the ability to work on them. Larry

Luva65wagon
February 3rd, 2016, 07:23 PM
But Larry... I don't think yours fits the inexpensive part of that equation.

:rolleyes:

BadBird
February 3rd, 2016, 09:50 PM
It's inexpensive in relation to some cars?? Even some Falcons. The winner at Hot August Nights a couple of years ago was a Falcon wagon and in talking to the owners, they had over a 1/4 million into it. SEE!!!!!! :banana: Oh well, I'll just stick to easy to work on I guess.

ew1usnr
February 4th, 2016, 05:16 PM
I have had several Falcons and two Comets. I first bought them because they were inexpensive and easy to work on.

What is nice about the Falcon is that even though it is over 50 years old, its parts were so conventional and were used in so many other cars for so long that they are all still easily available. When I had the rear end rebuilt on my car last week, the mechanic essentially had it done in a day. The brake shoes, wheel bearings, and differential bearings all came from the NAPA auto parts store next door to the mechanic's shop.

It was the same when I had my engine and automatic transmission re-built. There were no problems with parts availability. The torque converter was sent out for re-manufacture, but it came back right away. All the parts needed to rebuild the front end were readily available. I can buy a rebuilt generator for my car from O'Reilly auto parts store for $89.

The new bearings in the differential made a world of difference. The rear end whine is gone and the sound level in the interior is very much diminished. When I drive to work in the mornings now, I only hear the pleasant sounds of the smooth V-8 and the quiet purr of the exhaust. I have been leaving the radio off and just enjoying listening to the engine and exhaust. Ohhhhhhh, they sound nice.

There have been a lot of repairs made on this car, but with each thing that gets fixed it just keeps running better and better and better.

The winner at Hot August Nights a couple of years ago was a Falcon wagon and in talking to the owners, they had over a 1/4 million into it.

Sometimes it seems like I am getting close to that with my Falcon . :)

BadBird
February 4th, 2016, 08:14 PM
I believe Carol already thinks I surpassed that 1/4 Million mark. Not really.
I was able to marry the most beautiful girl in the world , my high school sweetheart more than 50 years ago and she also happens to be the most patient girl in the world.

BadBird
February 4th, 2016, 08:17 PM
Just in case you wanted to see what the most beautiful girl in the world looked like.

Jeff W
February 4th, 2016, 09:56 PM
Wow!now let's see the groom, same timeframe.

BadBird
February 4th, 2016, 10:44 PM
Jeff, this is me. No one would ever recognize me, except Carol.

Jeff W
February 5th, 2016, 01:07 PM
Jeff, this is me. No one would ever recognize me, except Carol.

Are you sure that isn't James Dean?

ew1usnr
February 5th, 2016, 05:58 PM
Just in case you wanted to see what the most beautiful girl in the world looked like.

You did well in life, Larry.

BadBird
February 5th, 2016, 07:32 PM
No one has had it better. James Dean??? He couldn't hold a candle. ;:) Don't know how I got this thread so far off line. Anyway. Thanks guys. Larry

dhbfaster
February 6th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Larry, amazing- your wife still looks about the same today. You look a little different, but still much younger than your real age.
Your wife has about the same look mine had in our wedding pictures...something like "yea, I'm really marrying this crazy guy."

SmithKid
February 6th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Don & Larry, My lady (50+ years ago) looked like WHY AM I DOING THIS? :confused: And I think she might still be asking asking herself the same question! (sorry, just had to take this thread a bit further astray)

Jeff W
December 31st, 2017, 11:34 AM
Santa brought me a new accessory for the wagon. Since I do not have hazard flashers, this vintage roadside reflection kit will do the job when I breakdown. I am going to mount the cage under the hood where the washer bag would live if this wasn’t the base model

BadBird
December 31st, 2017, 11:43 AM
LOL. Sorry, I just couldn't help myself from laughing at this. Most car owners would say "IF" I break down. Not "when" I break down.
The reason it is so funny, I had to have my Falcon towed twice this year. I still love driving it no matter what. Just thankful for AAA. Larry

Luva65wagon
December 31st, 2017, 11:56 AM
Larry-

You took the words right out of my fingers.

Maybe Santa should have supplied Jeff a book called "The Power of Positive Thinking."

;)

SmithKid
December 31st, 2017, 02:13 PM
I too have placed my trust in AAA, and though I haven't used it for but one of our vehicles (my wife's CRV with a blown tire), it has thankfully been unused for several years. The Falcon registered several thousand miles again this year, mostly in 400+ jaunts here & there.

I've been wanting to convert the Falcon to efi for a while and have been saving my $ for that. I hope to improve starting and smooth out minor idle deficiencies. Mrs. Santa and one of her elves (son) have topped off that account, so I am getting on the computer to get a kit (possibly the FiTech 400 kit) on order. More to follow....

PS. The actual installation will probably be delayed for dryer & warmer, springtime temperatures.

BadBird
January 1st, 2018, 01:43 PM
Well, when it warms up a little, let us know when you get ready to start. If I am not in Tucson by then, I would like to help. Larry

Gitanesteel
January 1st, 2018, 01:49 PM
Sounds like the installation could be a tech day. Back in May I read an article on a new fuel injection (http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1705-easy-bolt-on-fuel-injection-from-holley-1967-mustang/) system that I was intrigued with. It was written for an install on a 67 Mustang.

Luva65wagon
January 3rd, 2018, 10:41 AM
I've been wanting to convert the Falcon to efi for a while...

Wow - this must be evidence of how overwhelmed I am with all my (non-car-related) "projects" in that I didn't know this juicy tidbit before the rest of you. Gene, I hope I'm free and available to help you when you're ready...

...and to bring this thread back to Jeff's wagon build...

...you too Jeff when the time(s) come to help.

:BEER:

Also just a little (gentle) reminder about how easy it is for us all to hijack a thread.

:o

Oh, there's a meeting this month... the 17th...

:ROTFLMAO:

SmithKid
January 3rd, 2018, 12:18 PM
Sorry for the hijacking, Jeff. I shoulda put that in my own thread. And thanks for gently reminding me Roger.

Jeff W
May 19th, 2019, 04:59 PM
I am pulling a Roger... while I’m at it.

A leaky front wheel cylinder is leading to a complete front end rebuild.

I have a 1-1/8” sway bar and new brake adjuster kit on order. Will reuse my three year old rubber brake hose and bearings. I think that is everything...

Shelby Drop and undercoat as long as I am down there and it’s naked. Sure is nice to work on such a clean and rust free car. All the bolts come off with little effort.

Jeff W
May 19th, 2019, 06:32 PM
Correction. I am going to put new bearings and races in. After inspection I see one of the cages that hold the bearings is a bit damaged. Probably not a big deal but bearings are easy to find and inexpensive.

The leaking brake fluid took a toll on the old brake shoe paint. The springs and adjusting hardware is also in rough shape.

No wonder it would pull hard to the side during braking.

dhbfaster
May 20th, 2019, 08:38 AM
Way to go Jeff!
That brake cylinder is pretty scary looking though. How are your metal brake lines?

Jeff W
May 20th, 2019, 08:36 PM
Hi Don, I replaced all the metal and rubber lines about three years ago when I converted to the new Dual Master Cylinder. They still look like new.

Jeff W
May 20th, 2019, 09:29 PM
Sandblasted the front brake backing plates tonight. If I keep picking away at this, maybe it will be back on the road in a few weeks.

I think I am going to clean up and reuse the existing coil spring perch like Don did. Mine also has the brass bushing with grease fitting. I think this will be better than the cheap rubber bonded bush I bought as replacements.

dhbfaster
May 20th, 2019, 10:34 PM
Jeff,
I still have the special Tool i bought on eBay for reinstalling the coil springs. if you want it let me know. It was quite a battle but with that thing I finally won the war.

dhbfaster
May 20th, 2019, 10:54 PM
I always thought those brake backing plates are kind of an Art Deco work of art. (Strange taste?) they’re beautiful when sand blasted, and I powdered those myself too. They came out amazing.

Jeff W
May 21st, 2019, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the offer Don. I have a couple of different compressors here I will try first.

UPS brought me an early birthday present today... 1-1/8” sway bar.

Jeff W
May 25th, 2019, 02:06 PM
Upgrade while I’m at it.

Jeff W
May 25th, 2019, 11:25 PM
My spring perches are the grease-able bronze bushing type. I will be cleaning these up to reinstall.

Luva65wagon
May 26th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Very nice Jeff! And sorry I've spread that disease I have. Even without a garage to work in I find I still have it. It helps to have friends who enable you, as well.

Jeff W
June 1st, 2019, 04:34 PM
Here are the pieces for today’s puzzle... and a little help.

dhbfaster
June 1st, 2019, 05:15 PM
Nice Jeff...what’s the Scott Drake part in the red package?

Luva65wagon
June 1st, 2019, 10:39 PM
Nice Jeff...what’s the Scott Drake part in the red package?

It looks like the grease fitting set and tool for the upper control arms. Best guess. I'm curious what the flat plate are above the drums? don't recognize them at all.

Jeff - did you get the Shelby drop holes drilled?

And you have an amazing helper Jeff. How he's able to levitate the car while sitting on a wall at the same time is an amazing feat!

Jeff W
June 2nd, 2019, 10:58 AM
This picture will answer both questions. The Scott Drake package (Roger is correct) are the tight 90 degree grease fittings for the upper control arms.

The tin plates are just guards to keep road funk from filling the cavity bending the sale control arm. I had to modify them slightly due to the Shelby (Arning) drop modification.

I do have a problem where the Drag link purchased a few years ago is 1-1/2” too long. My old is 24” and the replacement is 25-1/2”.

Loo much time has passed to make a complaint. I hope to find what this longer one fits so I can recoup some of my money on eBay. These are not cheap.

My old one feels very tight so I am going to replace the rubber boots and reuse for now.

I don’t know why my pictures are turning 90degrees. Sorry for that.

Jeff W
June 2nd, 2019, 03:00 PM
Fastest brake job ever. Back plates preloaded, just bolt on.

I am using the old drag link and will get a new one next year when I pull the engine and steering box for rebuild. With everything else new, it should be a big improvement.

I removed 1/4” if shims from behind each upper control arm per Shelby Drop instruction. Them can fine tune when I get it in to Truline for alignment.

That 1-1/8” sway bar sure looks good and was easy to install.

Stopping for a coffee break before I change the hub bearing and races, install hubs, drums, bleed the brakes and get it around the block for a test.

I need to get that parking spot clean for a graduation party for my oldest. Deadline is looming.

Luva65wagon
June 2nd, 2019, 09:20 PM
The tin plates are just guards to keep road funk from filling the cavity bending the sale control arm. I had to modify them slightly due to the Shelby (Arning) drop modification.

I do have a problem where the Drag link purchased a few years ago is 1-1/2” too long. My old is 24” and the replacement is 25-1/2”.

I suspect it is a Mustang link. Probably the same part number off by a letter.

And those plates were stock? Interesting. But stuff could still get under them and you could never clean them (easily) and maybe rot out the front rail. Or not. It was a CA car and now a WA car, but we're the next CA, weather wise, I hear.

Jeff W
June 3rd, 2019, 01:47 PM
You are probably correct, but it was pretty clean under those plates. I reinstalled and hope it continues the same protection for the next 55 years.

Jeff W
June 3rd, 2019, 06:44 PM
The bearing races went in with very little effort. Just a few taps.

Voodoofalcon
June 4th, 2019, 05:12 PM
Nice work Jeff !

Jeff W
June 5th, 2019, 08:57 PM
My youngest daughter helped bleed the brakes. I eyeballed the alignment and took the wagon out for a few blocks. Other than the carb needing a clean out, it felt good. The spring height looks fine and since they were previously used by Roger in his Ranchero, they probably won’t settle like new springs would.

I will bring to Trueline in a few weeks for a real alignment and steering box assessment/adjustment.

I should probably mount the Monte Carlo bar and under engine brace first.

Jeff W
January 18th, 2021, 07:15 PM
A little art piece my daughter did of my wagon

BadBird
January 18th, 2021, 09:05 PM
​very very cool. Larry

SmithKid
January 18th, 2021, 09:42 PM
I love it, Jeff!:cool:

Luva65wagon
January 18th, 2021, 10:05 PM
You never mentioned anything about FRONT WHEEL DRIVE!

Falcongek
January 19th, 2021, 03:11 AM
Very nice drawing of your car!

BillP 98201
January 19th, 2021, 06:16 AM
Very cool! Emblem and all!

Jeff W
June 27th, 2021, 08:11 PM
Okay! Time for the next phase of the wagon rebuild. Roger has kindly agreed to take on this project as I am needing help.

I am starting a new thread called "Wagon Build - Phase 2" so it won't get lost in this long string.

dhbfaster
June 27th, 2021, 08:46 PM
Right on Jeff and Roger team!
what are the plans?

Okay! Time for the next phase of the wagon rebuild. Roger has kindly agreed to take on this project as I am needing help.

I am starting a new thread called "Wagon Build - Phase 2" so it won't get lost in this long string.

Jeff W
June 29th, 2021, 10:46 PM
More here:

https://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums/showthread.php?3695-Wagon-Build-Phase-2&p=25077#post25077