PDA

View Full Version : Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Luva65wagon
January 23rd, 2011, 05:07 PM
Well, though Steve at Doghows Power Coating has hinted in a couple of his threads, he and I have been negotiating on the purchase of one of his Ranchero's for a couple months or so. But after we discussed the condition of one and his recent interest in parting with the yellow 63 Ranchero I went over there yesterday and gave the yellow 63 a thorough looking at.

Both cars have the typical floor rot and "under the bed access" rot, but the yellow car is at least a driver. The gray Ranchero has better doors than the yellow car and a few trim accessories in better shape too. So after a bit of discussion we came to a deal and I purchased both of them. I will drive the yellow one away as-is and part out the gray one at his house.

He's also got a well-hacked 61 wagon there he used to get parts for his sedan delivery, but it has a few good parts left on it too, which would be well worth getting off the car before it is hauled off to a crusher. So maybe we can make an early trip to Sequim - a few of us - early Spring and have a big parting-out party, I'll treat anyone who comes to a great feast somewhere. [thumb]

So here's why they call me crazy.

Jeff W
January 23rd, 2011, 05:31 PM
Dear crazy, congratulations. If I can swing it, I'll come with you. I can bring some rims for Steve to powder for me.

redfalken
January 23rd, 2011, 05:56 PM
I'll go! I'd like to see his set-up. And congrats on the new addition to your flock! I'd hate to see you run out of things to do!!

BPVan
January 24th, 2011, 01:16 AM
You were just saying at the meeting you needed to get busy with a project, no better way, no better time. I am up for an adventure as well if there's room.

doghows
January 24th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Ok the cat is out of the bag now.... Anyone who wants to visit is more than welcome. My house is out in Diamond point and the shop is in Sequim. Only about 15 miles from house to shop. Be glad to give you all a tour when you are here.
There are still some good parts on the wagon. All 4 doors are still there except for the small parts I took off for Jeff. Engine and 2 speed auto still in car. Any parts from that car are free if you pull them. The ranchero parts are all Rogers however...
Hope to meet a bunch more of you soon. And then you can see my crappy work on the delivery up close... Steve...

Luva65wagon
February 14th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Well, I took a drive to Burien yesterday and spent a couple hours with Mark who seems to always have a Falcon or two in some stage of assembly or disassembly.

I had just happened onto a CL ad where he was parting out a 65 4-door V8 car. A week earlier I picked up a new set of HD leaf springs, upper and lower control arms, new front springs, and perches, all in a pile of other parts a guy bought for his 65 wagon, and then sold the wagon before he used the parts. He had posted these parts for sale almost two years earlier here on the forum, and I replied, but never followed up due to chaos ruling my life at the time. So, on a whim, I thought I may as well do the entire V8 conversion while-I'm-at-it. (Dang, I hate those words).

Anyway, contacted Mark after seeing his ad and caught him at just the right time - he hadn't sold any of it yet. So I managed to get an 8" V8 rear-end with no signs of leakage, and the entire tight V8 front-end (drum-to-drum), and 4 "aftermarket" Summit rally-style wheels with brand-new (I mean zero miles) 14" tires... all of it for $400. Wheels are kind-of odd, but the tires were a smokin' deal. Maybe I can find some stock 14" 5-lug wheels around here. (hint-hint).

Also picked up a 65 driver side cowl vent that I hope to convert the door on the drivers side to the pull for air version. Woo-hoo!

Well, just sharing the joy.... :BEER:

doghows
February 15th, 2011, 08:44 AM
On your mark; get set; GO.... You are not wasting any time on this are you?? And here I was hoping to have a sanding party next?? Let me know if you find any other dodads of the remaning parts cars and I will snag them. No plans to haul anything off yet. Keep finding little trinkets to keep...:p

Luva65wagon
February 15th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Sanding party? That don't sound like a party. :confused: And besides - Larry likes to sand. An assembly party - that I could wear a cap to! :BIRTHDAY:

I will probably come out the 26th to get a few other bits and pieces I left. Probably have to drive out the pickup I suppose. We can yank the two-speed out if you think it's worth saving for anyone. I do want to at least cut the quarters off the other Ranchero.

I have to move the Ranchero into my garage when I do all this, which means I have to rent a garage for my wagon somewhere because it can't sit outside due to insurance. So I am collecting all the bits and pieces together now so I can just go at it. It will be a whirlwind. I don't want to have to pay $200 a month for a garage for too many months. If you know what I mean....:eek:

SmithKid
February 15th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I can help with the 5 lug 14 inchers, but only 4 as I want to keep a spare.[thumb]

doghows
February 15th, 2011, 10:21 AM
26th should be fine. I still have two bays in the garage for use when I need them. You can bring the wagon over here and pay me $200 a month and I will keep it inside!!!! Or I could just store it if you want. It might get dust though if you don't have a cover for it???:confused:

Luva65wagon
February 15th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I can help with the 5 lug 14 inchers, but only 4 as I want to keep a spare.[thumb]

Well that is awfully Gene of you there Gene. Are these the 14" from your Ranchero? How much are you wanting for them. Send me a PM and we'll figure something out -- or call.

26th should be fine. I still have two bays in the garage for use when I need them. You can bring the wagon over here and pay me $200 a month and I will keep it inside!!!! Or I could just store it if you want. It might get dust though if you don't have a cover for it???

Great Steve, OK, I will make sure I contact you prior to that weekend.

I'd take you up on the garage storage - even at $200 a month - but that's a long way to drive if I need to take it to a show and the Ranchero isn't on the ground as fast as I hope. Should be, but you never know. I just got to get busy over here and find a place safe and secure.

...said anything here

I got all the rest of the floor pan sheet metal today, so I'll probably be starting on that pretty soon. Just got to get it into the garage. Swap meet this weekend, so probably start on that the following week.

Have been pulling all the front-end parts apart and getting them cleaned so I blast them and get them painted (oops :WHATTHE: I know that's a dirty word to some people). Something tells me these are all original Ford parts... but they are all in such good shape. Odd.

Still have the rear-end sitting in the back of the pickup... need to get it closer to the garage so I can lift it out without giving myself a hernia. Then I can start to clean it up a little. Not quite as detailed as the wagon though. ;)

doghows
February 16th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Roger, Roger, Roger; How dare you paint that stuff with a very cheap powder coater so close??? Those would be perfect items to bring over and show everyone how powder is applied. Especially if they are already sandblasted clean. If you want when you come over for the last haul if anyone wants to come again since we didn't see the shop last time, bring the parts and we will coat them up very very cheap... I know the guys saw all mine on the shelf, but you are closer to most of them and then they could all see the benefits..
Should only take a few hours to coat it all. Most of the time would be hanging and taping off the areas you do not want powder. I have an excellent hot pink in stock that I think would work great!!!:ROTFLMAO:
Anyway let me know and we will get it done.. (again)

SmithKid
February 16th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Yes, the wheels ARE from my Ranchero. I don't ever plan on using them, so..... I don't want $ for them, but may ask you to give me a demo so I can color-sand/buff my Ranchero this spring.

If you are going to take Steve up on his offer of powder coating, I would LOVE to ride along, or even take my truck:shift:, just for the demo he's offering. Sounds interesting!

Luva65wagon
February 16th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Well - maybe we could do that Gene. Anybody else want the other two spots in Gene's truck? If you can go on the 26th Gene, then I can pick up a few of the other things I left there and cut the quarters off the gray Ranchero too and get those here. That shouldn't take more than a half-hour.

Are you around today? I'm working from home today and maybe you could swing them by and help me lift this rear-end out and share the back pain with me a little. :BEER: I've got to head out around 5PM but I'll be here all up until then.

I guess the question is Steve - what is cheap? I'm blowing through money like water and still have a lot of things to get.

doghows
February 16th, 2011, 11:22 AM
How much stuff you talking about?? If it is all the front end stuff, ie springs, control arms, brackets sway bar ect... Less than $200 for all of it. All i am looking for is cost of powder and gas for the oven. Might even go less than that. You have been a big help to me and I am sure I will be calling on you again so..... The big thing to remember is it all goes in a 500 degree oven so ball joints don't coat well.... Or bushings.... Let me know and I will be glad to do it, or let you do it yourself??? With my stuff of course..[thumb]

Luva65wagon
February 16th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I have a rear end housing to coat so I may come along.

Cool - a hot-pink rear-end. [thumb]

$200

Maybe if enough parts from others can help reduce the fuel costs in the oven. But I'm better served putting that kind of money in actual parts I need. We'll see how much stuff comes up. I wouldn't put front-end parts through the oven, but backing plates and the 4 wheels I just got from Gene... maybe.

doghows
February 17th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Cool If you have fewer parts I would still do them. Just sandblast them down to clean white metal and the rest is easy.

Sure send the hood over. I have 3 but they all need some sort or repair work. Hopefully I can find one that needs the least amount of body work. Did I mention how much I am enjoying body work???

Thanks Steve

I have a florescent Orange too if you want to be safe Roger??
Patrick bring the rear axle and we could do it too. Same rule apply, stripped down but most important on those is as grease and oil free as possible. Tends to stink up when heated.. If everyone is looking for that chassis black color we could just fire up the big oven and do it all at once.

Luva65wagon
February 17th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Why do I feel like I've done this before?

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1121

Why do I feel like I've done this before?

:NERVOUS:

doghows
February 18th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Keep that thing stripped down and we w ill powder it up. If you want to bring what you want done and I will powder it up and you can through whatever you want into a donation can. I really don't care about the money. Just want to share what I have with the club. The ovens are pretty inexpensive to run, and powder costs about $10-$20lb depending on color. So I would say let just get er dun!!!
Anyway offer stands. Keep us posted on the yellow submarine..:D

Luva65wagon
February 18th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Well - I wasn't going to take it that far down - but really I'm only a few bolts away from that now. I can't sand-blast it though.

I think, just to make it worth the effort to fire up an oven, I'll bring the rear-end, 4-rims, and the brake backing plates. I'm going to just paint the various front-end parts (because I already have).

Then you can pass the offering plate - hallelujah.

doghows
February 18th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Sounds OK to me. Can you have the wheels blasted or will that need to be done here?? The axle housing would take about 20 minutes in the blast room at best, wheel sometimes take a bit depending on what they have on them now. And if Mr. brown wants to bring his we may as well fill that big oven up. It is 8'X8'X20' long so plenty of room. So if we are going to do this, everybody clean up your stuff and come over and we will get it done...

Luva65wagon
February 18th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I have a smallish blast cabinet at work that would require me standing there for 2 hours per wheel - best guess. These are all still the stock Ford wheels with 1965 paint on them.

At the very least, maybe I'll just blast the faces of them with your big blaster - and then paint them. Not really sure if I want them chassis black of some other color - like red. The interior will be red and black in whatever combination of stuff I find cheap. A headliner is coming, it is red. If I keep that bench seat - it is black.

As for the rear-end, it is really clean on the outside, but really rusty. I think the thing sat in a field since the mid-80's. But I will rinse the inside out with solvent to get her as clean as new. No smokie.

doghows
February 18th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Perfect. As far as the wheels the only issue we might have would be time. I could blast the rear housing and all four wheels in about an hour if it is just old paint. I have several reds in stock so if you want them red I say do it. I can run the small oven and just rotate the carts like I do on a normal day.
We will just see what comes over and go from there. If we cut the cars up quickly we can spend a little more time on the pretty stuff...[thumb]

Luva65wagon
February 18th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Steve, I don't imagine spending more than a half hour hacking off those quarter panels (famous last words, I know). But yeah, with Patrick's rear-end and mine and 4 wheels, and 4 backing plates (and I think that's it from me - I'll paint the rest), that's probably more time blasting than coating... me thinks.

Thanks again.

Luva65wagon
February 18th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Oh and before I forget, as I tend to do sometimes -- a big thanks, a muchos gracias, goes to Gene for cruising over here the other day and bringing me 4 factory Ford rims for the Ranchero - and helping me haul that 8" rear-end up the hill. He's the man! [thumb]

And pretty soon Gene, I'll be calling you to take you up on that offer you made to assist in the floor replacement (which includes practically stripping this to nothing). I have almost everything here to start that, shy of just getting it over into the garage. Real soon now.

Luva65wagon
February 20th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I got the punkin pulled out of mine today and started draining the molasses out of it. Clearly had just about reverted back to crude. I'll put a quart of solvent in there and slosh it around a bit and it should be "oil-less" by then.

Gene - as soon as I have the wagon in a temporary place, I'll be sure you get notice. But you are still up for going to Steve's on the 26th though, right?

Luva65wagon
February 21st, 2011, 09:39 PM
I spent the second half of the day today out cleaning the axle housing of the goo it had inside and out and then cleaning the backing plates and pumpkin. I'll blast the backing plates at work.

During the week I will have the two tires removed from two of the rims Gene gave me so they are ready. I hope to have the headliner in this week to have some idea of the red to coat those. Will bring with. I think that's what I'm going to do.

I picked up some 14" stainless trim rings and some nice stainless poverty caps from an early Meteor at the swap meet Saturday. They'll look really nice against red wheels.

So far it's just me an Gene - unless anyone else is wanting to cruise over there on Saturday with us. Steve, let's play it by ear. I'm inclined to do the remaining cutting first to get it over with, then do the powder coating.

Luva65wagon
March 3rd, 2011, 09:30 PM
Stopped by a storage facility tonight on the way home from work and secured me a 10x20 garage to store my wagon in for a little while. They had a special running for 4 months. This means I can now play musical cars (literally) and get the Ranchero into the garage. Four months... I wonder if that's enough time. :confused:

Have been slowly collecting parts for it. As I mentioned, I'll be converting the entire suspension to a 65 V8 setup, new pans, all new weatherstipping, etc. I'm buying the windshield from Larry [BadBird] and still needs carpet and door panels, but still shopping around for the best price. These are pricey doodads.

So as soon as it is in the garage I'll start posting pictures as it comes apart then goes back together so you all can enjoy the fun vicariously.

Here's a picture of the pile of parts that are inside the house. Parts are literally everywhere though. :WHATTHE:

redfalken
March 3rd, 2011, 10:05 PM
Here's a picture of the pile of parts that are inside the house. Parts are literally everywhere though. :WHATTHE:

Did you find that NOS `62 dash clock? I could use a spare. So what was the coolest stuff you've uncovered so far??

Luva65wagon
March 4th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Did you find that NOS `62 dash clock?

I didn't know I was looking for one...:confused:

So what was the coolest stuff you've uncovered so far??

I haven't really been buying bling yet -- although I must say the Jag cap like you and Jeff installed I think is pretty cool. I do like the Meteor hub-caps. And beginning this weekend I'm sure I will be uncovering all kinds of un-cool stuff! That makes me kind-a nervous. :NERVOUS:

Luva65wagon
March 6th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Update:

Got the wagon to the storage garage yesterday and played musical trucks and got the Ranchero into the garage Saturday about 5PM. Then spent a couple hours and pulled the windshield, back window, head liner, and the grille and front bumper.

This morning Gene came over and spent the day helping me out (THANK YOU GENE). We got the hood, fenders, doors (stripped and removed), the seat and the rear-end out.

I am beginning to see a history of this car unfold. Some wacky "so called" repairs were done to it. You see below the cowl was opened up and they did something in there. They only did this on the passenger side and the driver side is chocked full of stuff. So I may do something similar over on the drivers side. There's holes, but since I'm stripping the entire interior and wiring and steering box, etc., I'll look at it from inside before I drill out 200 spot welds.

So, here are some pics, since we know you all love pics.

Luva65wagon
March 6th, 2011, 09:45 PM
More pics...

redfalken
March 6th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Wow! You're really digging into that beast. I thought you were just gonna weld in some floorpans, fix a few things, new headliner, spit shine it and drive.

But it looks like it's a good thing you're addressing the cowl! I may cut some access holes into mine one day but they look pretty clean and solid so I'm not in a hurry. It looks like a lot of work!

It will be a nice ride when you're done though. Keep up the good work!

doghows
March 7th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Talk about no messing around... She will be a great little car/truck when you are done. I am glad to see her getting some freshening up. I didn't get a chance to cut up the parts car anymore this weekend. I stabbed the engine and transmission in the delivery for the last fit and to make a cross member for the AOD. Let me know when you need the cowl and so forth and I will get it off for you. Keep the pics coming I want to see this one...[BOW]

Luva65wagon
March 7th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Wow! You're really digging into that beast. I thought you were just gonna weld in some floorpans, fix a few things, new headliner, spit shine it and drive.

That "is" all I'm doing. But if I spit on it now, it would just rust more. :D

There was just way more needing to be done than I had hoped, but it's sooooo muchhhh easier to just get it down to base level and build it up then to try and work in and around things. But boy, I sure feel like a truck hit me today! Two years of doing nothing but computer work has made me soft. :o Hope Gene is feeling OK. I put him on the floor reefing on fused shackle bolts. Once the gas tank is out - I can start using some flame on the thing.

Also, on a side note. The car was a deep hunter green and the head liner, which we always though was non-factory, may have been the factory head liner. It was wrapped up and around the very old window rubber and there was no sign of it ever having another in there. So I don't know if they had this combo... like a sportsman's Ranchero, or something.

The roof, as well, I see now why there was Bondo spots up there. The inside of the roof was very wavy from inside.

Luva65wagon
March 8th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Gene again stopped by this evening and helped me pull the Dagenham 4-speed. Gracias senor' Gene.

I then fought more rusted captured nuts that decided to rip the cage apart rather than loosen. But I eventually stripped the dash down to nothing and can do most of the repair to the cowl from inside. And some from the outside.

I was also looking at some stuff at Eastwood that coats the inside of frame rails, which I may use for some of this. Looks kind of ugly, but could then coat it black. Have a look:

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html

Don't know yet what I will do. I'm waiting for an epiphany.

Here's a few more pics to clog the server with.

Luva65wagon
March 8th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Does anybody know what the single stage enamel PPG number is for this color red? I think that's the color I want to paint the interior with.

doghows
March 9th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Go Roger Go... and Gene too!!

falcon cobra
March 9th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Rangoon red PPG # is DAR-17243

Luva65wagon
March 9th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Go Roger Go... and Gene too!!

If I go too fast it will ... just disappear... :NERVOUS:

Rangoon red PPG # is DAR-17243

Gracias. There goes another $100 per quart, I'm sure. [thumb]

Luva65wagon
March 9th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Not much progress today - only removed the brake and gas lines, drained the gas tank, pulled the gas tank, pulled the back bumper, pulled the leaf springs, and pulled the exhaust out. It is now totally clear underneath and ready to start hacking away the old to put in the new. But I'll probably pull all the front-end parts off next so the steering shaft is out of the way - and then maybe pull the engine out.............
:WHATTHE:

Luva65wagon
March 14th, 2011, 09:18 PM
I spent a few hours today and yesterday getting all the rest of the bits off the Ranchero. So there is really nothing left on it except the tailgate outer skin and the engine mounts. I pulled the engine out today in about 5 minutes, though it was the first time I ever did something like this over the passenger side fender apron. With no way to move it fore or aft, I had to come in at it from the side and over the edge. Great fun.

So the sheet metal work begins tomorrow or Thursday. I ordered cowl parts and a passenger side front fender apron from a 65 Mustang, so this should be an interesting patch-work to do. All the floor metal is here already.

I was bummed to find a hole in the gas tank. It's not a big one, so should be an easy fix.

I also bought this two-part panel glue and gun to apply it - if at some point anyone needs to borrow the gun, I will make it available to club members -- as long as they give it back -- I still have out there my engine leveler and my windshield polishing kit if anyone knows who has them. :o :confused:

I forgot to bring out the camera today, but will post some today picture tomorrow and some yesterday pictures today.

Luva65wagon
March 14th, 2011, 09:19 PM
A few more pics...

Jeff W
March 14th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I still have out there my engine leveler and my windshield polishing kit if anyone knows who has them. :o :confused:

Kenny returned my engine hoist with your leveler still attached. I will get it to you at a future meeting.

Luva65wagon
March 14th, 2011, 09:37 PM
OK - Thanks-

doghows
March 15th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Dang you are fast. Hope you didn't find too many surprises?? I think that might be the first gas tank I tried to powder coat? If it has JB weld by the sending unit hole it is. Soo the tank is powder coated. I must have missed that hole when I braised the other ones? Oooops.
What are your plans this weekend? Do I need to have more blades ready for the sawzall? I think now that weather is looking better I will bring mine down to the shop and under coat it so I can start to put it back on the ground. I will do that Friday afternoon so Saturday I should be at the house. Let me know but no hurry the heaps of metal aren't going anywhere...

Luva65wagon
March 15th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I'm hoping the parts from NPD arrive so I can check fit. If I can repair the cowl like I'm thinking, I may not need to go to that extent. I did discover that one of the strut rods is mangled for some reason. See no other damage under there, so it makes no sense, but it is looking like I may want to pull those off that front-end -- plus get the remaining wire out of it. I will be splicing up a new harness of my own making for this car. The more I have of it the better.

So I will work it in for the same-time, same station, on Saturday. Don't know if anyone else wants to come, but they are always welcome.

I now wish I had your sand-blast booth. Would knock off hours and hours from this. :bicker:

doghows
March 15th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I have a set of those strut rods laying on the floor so you can have those if you want them.
Anytime you want to use the blast room let me know and you can clean whatever you want. Too bad it is so far away.
Let me know if you drive the black truck over, Jake still wants to see it and is still very interested.
(heard from Bill?) Later Steve.

Luva65wagon
March 15th, 2011, 12:43 PM
That would be great Steve. Those bloody things were so tight on the Ranchero and fought all the way to the end. Made me want to go get a 3/4 impact wrench on-the-spot. But no, I need to get my wrenching arms back. This computer work...

I started up the black truck when I needed to play musical cars to get the wagon out - it was kind-of cold and humid that day - and it ran like crap for some reason. I thought it might be that I never put the heat tube on once John and I put the headers and new exhaust on it and the carb was icing. It was a perfect day for that. So I put that on, and it still ran like crap. Last time I drove it was out to Burien and back to get the V8 suspension and rear-end for the Ranchero - and it ran great. So I have been wanting to look at it more, but the weather has been crazy. We'll see. It might be that bloody Pertronix kit again.

I'm slowly blasting things at work -- and I need to be less anal about the other stuff. But like I wrote in the newsletter: "I plan to make this car a driver, not a show car, but as some of you know, I rarely take my own advice." Really, that still is the plan. :D

Luva65wagon
March 17th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Not much new to post on this. Gene and I cruised out to the Arlington Pick a Part and scouted for a pair of buckets seat. Looking for a decent set of red seats. SCORE! $25 a piece and have a very firm set of seats out of an Escort. No real signs of wear -- just a little dirty. Hardly any fading or anything. So I'm cleaning them up. Also grabbed a set of nifty red arm rests in the car and a red overhead map light, which will look pretty cool.

More parts came in from National Parts Depot today, but the cowl repair parts were back-ordered, so that's a bummer. Looks like I may be cutting the cowl out of the other car "just in case" after all. The Mustang fender apron will work, I think, to relocate the battery tray to the lower parallel to the core-support position. Will take a little hacking, but looks doable.

Started cutting out the rotting floor tonight, but not too much of it yet. Got late.

Thanks again Gene for driving.

doghows
March 18th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I need a Gene. My Larry is on Vacation for 3 weeks?? Maybe twins is what I need???[thumb] Nice work on the Ranchero can't wait to see the put it back together pics...

Luva65wagon
March 18th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Gene just likes driving that new truck of his. I can tell. ;)

Well after Gene left yesterday I started hacking out the floor and finished up a lot of cutting tonight. The driver side torque box is pretty thin, so I'll be looking at beefing that up. Thankfully I grabbed some stuff off that other Ranchero. Cut the back of cab/front of bed to make a patch for the rusting parts. Anyway, the pictures are pretty self explanatory.

Luva65wagon
March 18th, 2011, 10:51 PM
A few more pictures...

doghows
March 23rd, 2011, 08:14 AM
It is amazing to see the fast progress on the old girl. How big is the pile of parts in the house/garage getting.
Hopefully you can start putting the parts back on soon. Keep us posted.:rocker:

Luva65wagon
March 23rd, 2011, 09:26 AM
I have stripped the entire floor out now of anything rotted. I will be making that D.S. torque box plate from that sheet of steel plate you're letting me cut a piece from (thank you again for your continued support to seeing this :banana: ripen).

I started staring at the cowl last night from every angle to see if there was any possible way to replace it all in one swale-foop. None that I can see. It is all too interwoven into the A pillar.

So... though I resisted up until the very last moment last night, I started drilling spot-welds on the donor piece at about 7PM last night and got about 75% of these on the leading edge of the cowl broken free when I called it quits at about 9:15 last night. Man, what a pain this is. No rhyme or reason to the pattern of spot-welds, that is for sure. It's looking like swiss cheese.

Fortunately, I won't have to be so picky on the car. Most of that I'll use the pull and peel method of metal removal. This is where you slice off the big parts and grab and edge of the strip that is left with channel-locks and roll it off the spot-welds. They peel right off leaving very little left behind. That's how I did the floor. I did not drill one spot-weld on the entire floor. You can only use this method when the stuff you are removing is toast.

I was going to hold off on this cowl for until the floor was done, but it got the best of me. I succumbed to its call.

The donor cowl looks really good and more and more I am kicking myself for cutting up the WRONG CAR! :doh:

doghows
March 23rd, 2011, 10:43 AM
Stuff happens?? I think it was a toss up between the two. The good on one was bad on the other and visa versa. I feel your pain with that cowl area. I did that on the delivery and I do NOT want to do it again.
Just think how proud you will feel when it is done. I know I look back through my pictures and it keeps me going to see how far it has come. Keep at it and the fun will come soon enough.:BEER:

Luva65wagon
March 23rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
Just think how proud you will feel when it is done.

That's funny... that's exactly what my boss said to me a couple weeks ago after I told him I'd already "donated" a couple thousand hours (and counting) of my own time on a software project I'm doing at work. :confused:

As I'm sitting there drilling out spot-welds I keep saying to myself.... "I am, indeed, crazy."

Luva65wagon
March 27th, 2011, 10:31 PM
i can't believe I've only been at this for 20 days. Seems like a year already. :ROTFLMAO:

Have been out there being busy getting stuff cut out and cutting up other stuff and putting the other stuff in. Dissecting the cowl was fun :confused: but I got it all apart and the old one out in one piece - sort of.

Gene has been stopping by and watching and helping. I gave him the task of cutting the old cowl cover and shock-tower braces off so we could see what it was like under there, while I drilled a couple hundred spot welds.

I decided I would use the dash from the red interior since the dash was pretty decent and had all the holes for the dash-pad.

If you look close at the pictures, you'll see I cut about 2" of the replacement cowl to firewall and used this as an overlap. I then used holes in the two parts as a key to make sure the parts were exactly the same height all the way around. I have some more welding and grinding to do, but it will be pretty invisible (not that I really care).

I'll give a big kudo's for Gene being awake the night I cut the old cowl out. I had the jack stands in the back and a pair on the front near the core support. As I got to the part where the last 10" of cowl was getting cut through, Gene says, "You know, you ought to put some jack stands in the center of the car -- it's moving a lot." Sure enough, I would say, 50% of the rigidity of the car is in the cowl. You cut that out, and the car will pretty much fold up... and almost did.

Anyway, here's where I'm at on day 20 and counting.

Luva65wagon
March 27th, 2011, 10:42 PM
These pics show the new cowl welded in. This of note:

I welded three studs in for the 65 driver side air vent.

I realized that the damage I saw on the dash (Kenny and I noticed the night we drove back from Sequim sitting on the ferry) must have been some upper collision that hit the upper door hinge. Lots of funky repair (and lack of), but it is all good now. I couldn't totally straighten the door pillar, but it's OK

The pile of cowl_bunnies is how much (less the bigger trash in the pile) debris I got out of the NEW replacement cowl. There is no way all of that could have ever washed out. I have to say, this is one wacky stupid design.

I have used Rust Doctor on this part, which is why it is black/blue. Gene donated some Hurculiner I will coat all of this with before I cover it all.

Luva65wagon
March 27th, 2011, 10:45 PM
This is a picture of the repair I made to the driver side torque box and a picture of the new dash just sitting in there and the old one out.

Correction: Gene cut the parts and I welded the pieces in. Gene, notice I bent the profile before welding it in. Then after the two parts were in, I torched the angle and bent it to follow the profile before welding the two parts together. Looks pretty close to the original.

doghows
March 28th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Those pictures are giving me nightmares of when I did mine. Looking very good though. I like the way you did the cowl. I wish I would have thought of that for mine, it would have save a lot of spot weld drilling..
Nice progress, I am still doing body work.:doh: Was going to put it back on the ground but got the wrong shackle bushings from Auto Krafters??

Luva65wagon
March 28th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I really had no choice but to do it that way since the cowl rot had proceeded to rot the firewall too. Just nothing to spot-weld the new top to. This left a lot of that original structure intact, and the only tricky part was making sure you had all the height correct (i.e., how much and how far do you overlap).

I had to collapse the inner section to get the upper part over it, but it all aligned nicely. And using the grey car cowl and dash will correct for the passenger door/dash damage a little.

Trust me, I'll have nightmares about this too.

doghows
March 30th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Roger if you want to sand blast that dash before you weld it let me know. It would be much easier to paint when it comes time?? Could put it in primer like I did my car??
We need to find an express route to get stuff back and forth?? Anybody have a transporter we can use???:D

Luva65wagon
March 30th, 2011, 01:38 PM
As much as I'd love to Steve, it's such a huge expense of both a full day and driving/ferry/gas to go over there. As you know, it's a $100 bill no matter how you slice it.

So, I'll do as I've been doing on much of it -- the trusty propane torch and wire brush. Works great on these hard-contour parts. Almost like I used a soda blast or plastic media. I just make sure to avoid flat panels, though I never really get it that hot. The paint blisters almost instantly. That and DA with 80-grit and it'll be done in an hour with propane to spare! [thumb]

Underneath, it'll get wire bushed and RustDoctor'd. Nothing more.

doghows
March 30th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Cool offer stands to any paid member of the club that wants to use the facility for media blasting. Also deep discounts on coating as well.
Keep us posted on the progress, I like seeing what I have already done (to the delivery). That is scary looking with the cowl and dash out>!>!

Luva65wagon
April 3rd, 2011, 01:08 AM
Spent the past few evenings getting the cowl cleaned up and welded back together. That's almost done. Just need to clean-up the little connector pieces between the rear fender aprons and the cowl and then weld them on.

Then I cleaned up the dash of all the old peeling paint and got it down to bare metal and sprayed some hammerite under it to make a smooth surface. That's ready to go in, but I want to finish up the welding on the firewall and get that all seam sealed and painted up under there before making harder to get to with an installed dash.

Today I tackled the old rotted battery tray with removal and swap with the fender apron from a 64-66 Mustang and the 64-65 Falcon battery tray. Quite a process, actually. It tuned out pretty decent though. I'll do some grinding and body work to smooth it all down.

So here are the pics you all love so much...

Luva65wagon
April 3rd, 2011, 01:10 AM
More of the finished battery tray.

BPVan
April 3rd, 2011, 12:11 PM
You are making some quick work out of that, its looking real good. It's ok to go inside now and then to regain a little sanity.

Luva65wagon
April 3rd, 2011, 12:31 PM
Truth is... this is my sanity. I can do most of this without thinking much about it. Very therapeutic.
[AGREE]

My day job is what is insane.

doghows
April 4th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Nice work, you'll make a cool ride out of it yet.. I searched the scrap pile and have the steering column and wheel, but not sure about the horn ring. One was there but I think it was the one from the 61 wagon. I will look some more, but those are added to your pile...

Luva65wagon
April 4th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Appreciate you tracking that stuff down Steve. Again, we were all a bit out of it by the end of the day. Stuff being placed everywhere.

The more I research the more I think I need to go with the 65 and later turn indicator and horn setup, which is apparently different than the pre-65 stuff. Seems it had to do with having an alternator as best I can tell, which I am switching over to. I have a switch and wire assembly from the 67 pickup, so I may use it. I think the column is the same.

Also, I started the pickup yesterday to do a dump run -- ran famously. I think the last time I started it, it was just a perfect day for carb icing and I just never-ever let it warm up enough after putting on the heat riser tube that day. Had not one hiccup yesterday.

And thanks for posting the pics of your car's fender apron on the passenger side. I wanted to see the stock battery tray in the late 63+ car. Now I see it. [thumb]

BadBird
April 5th, 2011, 05:12 PM
This is coming along great Roger. I think you should rename this post to something else though and rename the spider post as this one!! Kidding and can't wait to see your new vehicle. Your workmanship is beyond belief so I really already know how it will look. See ya soon. Larry

Luva65wagon
April 6th, 2011, 11:40 AM
No - you're probably right Larry. I'm crazy in a lot of ways. That should just me my new user name. And thanks too for the comments and working with me on the windshield. Be sure to let me know when you're in town and I'll square up with you.

Luva65wagon
April 7th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I've been working on this a couple days. Hacked out the old parts yesterday and took the donor to the work and sand blasted it. Then I made a new top plate and a few patches for the bottom. Once I was done with that I filled it full of Cold Galvanizing spray and started to weld it into place. Just a little more welding to do and it's onto the floors!
:banana:

Luva65wagon
April 7th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Parts refurbished and welded in...

doghows
April 8th, 2011, 08:20 AM
That confirms it. You are as nuts as I am. Nice job on the clean up, guess there are surprises in all these old cars?? Hopefully you have found them all now and you can focus on fixing and putting back together.
Are you going to strip the whole car before paint or just do a good surface prep?? Can't wait to see it black..

Luva65wagon
April 8th, 2011, 08:37 AM
We could probably be committed in a two-for-one special.

I have not left a corner uncovered. Some of the other things I see I'm not going to the extreme I did here. They are more patchable than needing full replacement. This really needed the repair. The other side is about as bad as the donor was, so that's what it will get... maybe. I have to get down and look. We didn't cut that side off the other car.

As I pondered the color I am now leaning towards Satin White with red Shelby stripes. White won't show imperfections as much as black will.

I'm just going to scuff-up what is good.

Putting a vinyl roof on it instead of trying to figure out why it has so much bondo on it up there. What I won't know won't kill me.

doghows
April 8th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I have the other side of the car in the shop. I was going to steal a small piece to patch a spot on the delivery that I missed. Do you need the corner part or the whole rocker?? I just need a small piece of the rocker itself so I don't have to make a curved patch. I can add it to the pile??
Looks good though should make a great driver. I am hoping to get the body work done on mine and off to paint by the end of may??
I will let you know for sure if I can make it over next weekend..

Luva65wagon
April 8th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Might be worth hacking out just in case. I may not use it (although it is what I will be looking at later tonight), but it would be better to have than not to have.

The rockers are good. It's only these noses that rusted. Big flat ledge. I may build a ramp above them so stuff can slide off. I surprised the areas below the lower control arms don't rust out too. These are traps - not just ledges.
:confused:

If you don't make it over, they may just shut down the whole government.

doghows
April 8th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Already got the part cut out and on the floor. I will clip off the piece I need and bring the front with your pile (hopefully)...

Luva65wagon
April 13th, 2011, 10:17 PM
It's been a few days since I updated, but have been working on the floor. The half on the drivers side is a really nice fit and I'm just getting to that, but the Rock Auto parts were close, but required a lot of finessing to get them to fit decent. But they are slowly but surely molding to the contours they need to mold to.

Pretty much had to reproduce the rear section of floor from the roof of the wagon Steve had - plus a few parts off the other Ranchero. That's just needing to be ground down and doing some final welding. It was just hard to get between those floor braces and the bed section. Gashed my back a couple times as it was. I'll say I can't wait until all this welding is done!!! My aching back.

Gene has been by quite a bit (thanks Gene!) and I used him as a mock-up for the new big block Gene motor I'm planning for. 1 Genepower with a turbo in one hand. Bill Williams came by on Saturday to have a look - and pulled apart the spare strut rod parts so I could get them cleaned up. And I took his car around the block to advise on "if that feels right." And "no, it doesn't."

Here's a new batch of pics.

Luva65wagon
April 13th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Need I say more?

redfalken
April 13th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Man that new engine looks compact but feisty!! [thumb]

That's gonna be a solid rig when you're done Roger. Nice work! Can't wait to see the end result. Or some version of the end result!

doghows
April 14th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Coming along nicely Roger, can't wait to see it in person Saturday morning. Maybe I should show up at your place about 1 hour early?? I almost wish I kept the car now? But I never would have had the time or the desire to do another one that far for a while.:doh:

SmithKid
April 14th, 2011, 04:56 PM
That turbo-powered big block you have stuffed in there looks awful tired to me. Prob'ly doesn't even grunt too hard, and I KNOW it doesn't rev very well. However, if you got rid of that torch and put a fishing rod in it's sweaty palm, it'd work a LOT better.

pbrown
April 14th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I think that with enough beer and burgers that it would run pretty good.

Luva65wagon
April 14th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I almost wish I kept the car now? But I never would have had the time or the desire to do another one that far for a while.:doh:

Oh- I don't think you really mean that. One this bad in a lifetime is enough for any one person. Now if I was getting $80 an hour doing it -- that might be a different story. And I'd have still rather done the gray one... I think.

Luva65wagon
April 17th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I spent Friday evening putting in the drivers-side floor. I sure like the quality of the pan on that side. Saving the last rear-quarter passenger side pan for tomorrow. That's going to be the worst piece because it doesn't look anything like the other side. It generally fits, but will need a lot of fiddling.

Today I working on the Jag gas filler. Unlike Jeff, I didn't get the little bucket these use, so I had to fabricate my own. Other than doing some bodywork and adding the drain - it's all done. Here's the latest.

Luva65wagon
April 17th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Filler temporarily installed to check fit.

Jeff W
April 17th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Looks like a nice fit. I see you had the same problem as I did... hard to run a nice bead of weld on the lead body filler used on the old seam. :p

doghows
April 18th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Where is the world do you find the time??? After a 12hr day Saturday and finish the honey do's, all I got to do was look at my car as I passed by it for tools and supplies..
Looks awesome, and after seeing it in person I know how much work you have into that old girl. Keep it going and we will be a your place soon doing final assembly.
2 thumbs up.[thumb]

Luva65wagon
April 18th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I worked until 11PM on Friday night and it only took me about 6 hours to do the Jag cap (it'll take another 6 hours to get it to look good with the bodywork). I've got plenty of time!

And the one and only benefit of being honey-less is not having a honey-do list. Dishes, vacuuming, yard work? I'll get to them when I get to them....
:BEER:

Jeff- I gave Kenny the hose section and boy, I'll tell you, that is a pain to put on this thing. I even tried using my press. Sprayed it with soapy water. Spread extra slick assembly lube on both parts. Nothing let it "slide on." I eventually got the best results just placing the hose over the thing - setting it on the floor - grabbing a rubber mallet - opening the top - and whacking it 100 times. Got it on to within about 1/2" of full-on with a good 1.5" of engagement. I have the hole in the bracket big enough for the hose - will install the clamp once it is in the hole.

BPVan
April 19th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Nice tour of the shop yesterday evening and my intro into metal fab. The Ranchero is definitely coming along nicely. Keep up the good work, here are a couple of action shots.

doghows
April 20th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Looks like the turbo powered engine was working overtime in that engine bay?? Soon it will be time to put in those red seat you got..[thumb]

Luva65wagon
April 24th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Haven't been slacking on this, but have not taken a lot of time to photo things lately.

Mostly just working on final welding of the floor pans and grinding stuff down. I did start working on the rotting shifter hump, but sort of wanted to take a couple days off on all the pounding needed to make all this stuff fit. But you can see it with the patch piece welded on and I will now heat it and form it to shape.

Today I spent the day working on getting the seat mounts and weld-in thread plates for the new seats. Look close and see if you can figure out what I used to make the seat mounts from.

doghows
April 25th, 2011, 08:08 AM
I am going to take a shot in the dark here, but from the serial number on one I am thinking inner fender pieces???
Looking good Roger will you have yours on the road before Gene?? (haha)
I shaved all my door handles this weekend and now more bodywork.:doh:

Jeff W
April 25th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Today I spent the day working on getting the seat mounts and weld-in thread plates for the new seats. Look close and see if you can figure out what I used to make the seat mounts from.

:rocker: Ooooh Ooooooh Mr Kotter, "Shock Tower Brace"

Luva65wagon
April 25th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding - You are correct Mr. Horshack.

And see, I maintained the VIN number. It will still be in the car - though I'm going to have to put these in above and not under the carpet. The first one took me about 5 hours to think through... and the second took a little over an hour. And looks so much better.

I took a bunch of stuff to blast at work today and the linkage for the gas pedal was quite a patchwork. I think I will look for a good cable pedal at the Pick-a-Part... while I'm at it.

BillP 98201
April 26th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Roger where did that hub cap in the pic of your seat come from? My brother in law gave me a set, and I was wondering what they came off of

Luva65wagon
April 26th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Bill,

Those are produced in two sizes - 9.5" and 10.5" for 14" four-lug and 14" and 15" wheels five-lug wheel, respectively. They were found on 65 Falcons and 65 F-100 pickups - that I know of. May have been found on other Fords - since they say Ford and not Falcon.

My wagon has these and these in the picture were on the gray Ranchero (see the opening pictures - I think they are on there when that was taken). I was looking for a set of 10.5" for this Ranchero because I went with 14" five-lug wheels.

Luva65wagon
April 30th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Have been steady at it as I can. Work has eaten into the days a little and I haven't had much to take pictures of. Have been blasting an painting parts getting them ready to to put back on.

Gene's been by a few times - a couple hours here, a couple hours there, and has been making great progress on the prep to paint the engine bay. I'm almost ready to do that.

I also had to fix the shifter hump where the bottom half was rotted out. Didn't take many "before" pictures, but it was pretty much swiss-cheese down below. Lots of heat and hammering and it's good as new.

Today, after a wasted trip to Arlington without a wallet :doh: I came back and proceeded to get the dash welded back on and gave the dash and cowl a coat of etching primer. Tomorrow... we'll see what it brings. I really need to figure out how I will seal that bed panel in permanently. May just work on that.

doghows
May 1st, 2011, 06:37 AM
I am jealous... Can I have it back now???:D

BillP 98201
May 1st, 2011, 06:42 AM
Wow!!!! That looks great Roger..... Like night and day

Luva65wagon
May 1st, 2011, 02:45 PM
I am jealous... Can I have it back now???:D

Sure - I'm getting tired of it already...:rolleyes:

Luva65wagon
May 1st, 2011, 02:46 PM
Wow!!!! That looks great Roger..... Like night and day

Getting there.. slowly but surely. :banana:

falcon cobra
May 1st, 2011, 04:37 PM
roger what is that primer, or what? I have used that green primer from dupli-color..not bad for a bomb can. looks like dp-40..

Luva65wagon
May 1st, 2011, 09:08 PM
roger what is that primer, or what? I have used that green primer from dupli-color..not bad for a bomb can. looks like dp-40..

Same stuff as DP40 - AKA self-etching primer. Great on bare metal before doing other bodywork.

The Dupli-Color stuff is really good and I've used it a lot, but I picked up a can of the SEM brand at Wesco. Heluva lot more expensive and seems exactly the same. Will be tracking down more Dupli-Color.

Luva65wagon
May 3rd, 2011, 10:15 PM
As I've moved rearward on this - pondering now how I am going to seal that bed panel in a permanent fashion - I started looking at the rusted wheel wells. They are pretty rough. I'm going to repair them one way or the other. I then looked at the pair I cut off the other Ranchero and they are really only slightly better.

In my youth I used a cutting torch on my 62 Futura to make my then 9" rear-end from a Fairlane fit under that car (hey, I was making $2.88 an hour) - and though it was rough, it looked pretty good. So I have been debating, looking on-line at other cars, trying to decide whether to unify the flares on the car.

I'll be stealing a pair of Steve's swap meet rusted, but blasted, fenders to do this. But I don't think you mind - do you Steve? I'll give you a ride in it when I'm done. I don't want them to be an exact copy like most are. I want the rears to have a more round shape instead of flaring out in the back. Minor change. [thumb]

So, what do you guys think?

Interestingly - that sedan delivery is the same paint scheme I'm going with - but with red paint.

Luva65wagon
May 3rd, 2011, 10:23 PM
It would look more like this compared to the image above.

BillP 98201
May 4th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Im in the no flare camp :BEER:

doghows
May 4th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Wow really changes the look!?! I really don't care what you do with the fenders. Sell them use them what ever they are there for club use what ever it might be.
I am undecided on the look. You are changing enough stuff on that rig so I say go for it. Might not make the purist very happy but it is your car. I say cut the whole top off and make a roadster out of it.. Oh wait we live in Washington????

pbrown
May 4th, 2011, 08:23 AM
I'm in the 'no flair' camp also.

Luva65wagon
May 4th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I want the car to have some flair, but not certain about the wheel flare though. :D

I'm certainly more in the purist camp than the mod everything camp, when it doesn't involve safety. These flares that the car came with are really a pain - both for tire and wheel selection, tire R&R, etc. So I've never been a fan of them except their style, which is unique. Any time I see these flare changes in a forum, the comments are all pretty positive though I'm not a fan of the "front looks exactly like the back" and would mod it slightly, as I said, to make it subtly different.

That said, this car is (was) supposed to be a "path of least resistance" driver... and it is turning into something that is fighting this. There is nothing there right now to work with. The metal is gone and it is flaking away. Bondo is the only thing holding it together. I have to do something to fix the rot. To recreate the stock flare which would require a stretcher/shrinker to do right is not the path of least resistance, but patching the entire side isn't going to be either - no matter how you slice it. I could slather it again with more Bondo. :o

doghows
May 4th, 2011, 12:24 PM
How bad were the rear openings from the gray car?? Are they as bad as the yellow ones?? OR I ordered new ones from Auto Krafters to fix the rotted ones on the delivery. I think it was about $125 per side?? More money I know how that goes... Good Luck and use the force wisely..

Luva65wagon
May 4th, 2011, 12:38 PM
I'm still going to go with "the Force" that caused me to cut the template out of one of the fenders last night. I made that patch in all of about 30 minutes - and could better use $300 on something else.

This is not going to be a show car (though it may end up in one or two) - so I really don't care one way or the other. I'd just as soon slather Bondo on it - but I know myself and it would eat me up... and then it would begin to crumble again in a year.

Luva65wagon
May 4th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Oh - as I mentioned, the ones off the gray car are not a whole lot better. Not as bad, but would still need tons of work. I need fast forward movement and right now it is all easy to get to and open. So I will probably flare them and use those two sand-blasted fenders.

If you guys vote me out of the club afterward - oh well. Wouldn't be the first time. :rolleyes:

doghows
May 4th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Don't worry Roger with all my "modifications" on the delivery I may have to join you when we get the boot. :) However with your vast knowledge and willingness to help others I think you will be OK...[thumb]

pbrown
May 4th, 2011, 04:36 PM
If you guys vote me out of the club afterward - oh well. Wouldn't be the first time. :rolleyes:

I think we can let is slide this time. Besides, nobody else want to be president. :)

Jeff W
May 4th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I think we can let is slide this time. Besides, nobody else want to be president. :)

More importantly, Roger is current on his membership dues.[thumb]

Jeff - Treasurer

Luva65wagon
May 4th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Glad to know I'm kind'a safe - as long as my dues are current. :rolleyes:

I stared at it some more this evening to see how much less rear flare I can go without mucking up the radius and I can close it up about an inch and a half and it'll actually look pretty good. I really don't like the rear opening of the flare being that flourished. It's OK in the front fenders, but looks too foofy in the rear quarters.

So, I think I'm going to go for it. I pretty much have to cut the entire bottom off the car from the door to the taillight anyway, so this takes care of over 1/2 the total length. And can probably have it done (less the final body work) by the end of the weekend.

I will say up-front my sincerest apologies to all the purists I am about to pis.. uh I mean.. irritate... who happen upon this thread. :WHATTHE:

SmithKid
May 4th, 2011, 11:11 PM
For what it's worth, and I know I'm late, I like the flared look as much as the no-flare look. I was tempted to do the same on my car to get to use wider wheels, but decided against it as the square-bodies seem to have more horizontal "lines" to disrupt when the flares are completed.

Jeff W
May 4th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Have you considered swapping sides and using the left front fender patch on the right rear quarter and vice versa?

This may give a nice symmetry to the radius. I think I have seen pictures of a sprint or outlaw race car that used a pair of round body front fenders in the rear.

Luva65wagon
May 5th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Well that is a strange Falcon sort of thing...

I spent some time after work on what I decided to do last night while I was asleep. I think it turned out OK. Still have some more grinding and welding to do and won't do all of it (the tail) until it is one with the car. Now onto the other side to duplicate this patch.

SmithKid
May 6th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Can't wait to see them on the car!

Luva65wagon
May 6th, 2011, 02:13 PM
If anyone has a car together, near them, with a rear axle installed, can I get you to measure from the center-line of the rear wheel to the edge of the front wheel-well lip? I think I can just lay the front edge of the front lip over where the old edge was and the tire will fit the radii fine, but just want to double check.

pbrown
May 6th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Sorry Roger. No axle for the moment. I could measure back from the center of the spring eye if that would help.

SmithKid
May 6th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I'll be home tomorrow evening.

Luva65wagon
May 6th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I think I have it figured out - cuts have been made - no turning back now. In keeping with the title of this thread... I am totally committed.

Both sides are made and the new shape actually looks pretty good. A lot better than just putting the front shape in the rear. I'll take some more pictures tomorrow and post them. Fortunately on the passenger side the rust is just around the lip - whereas on the driver side I will be replacing a lot more, but all easy patches. Can't wait to stop cutting and welding.

[AGREE]

SmithKid
May 7th, 2011, 08:17 PM
90.5" on a square-body Ranchero.

Luva65wagon
May 7th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Thanks Gene - but I think we have measured the wrong thing here -- or I really messed up! :WHATTHE:

Spent a few hours out there last night and today getting the second side made and tracing the pattern on the car. The process is really pretty easy, but the execution was painful. Holding the panel in place was the hardest part. I have some of those panel jig things, but you have to be able to get to both sides and you really can't in this case. So I used them at the bottom and welded the top radii in and then removed them.

I worked though it and was in the process of welding it all in when my friend called to see if I could rescue her cat who'd locked himself in the bathroom. So I had to quit before finishing. But, as you see, it's almost done on one side. I am kind'a liking it so far. Really changes the look - that's for sure.

Luva65wagon
May 7th, 2011, 10:50 PM
More welding to come... And the piece I welded into the flare will get folded over and welded to seal it all up from underneath - which is why I had to clean up under the wheel wells. Plus, this allowed me to pound out all of dents that show in the bed.

SmithKid
May 8th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I wondered about the measurement I took. Couldn't figure out why that was needed. Now I'm figuring you meant to the leading edge of the rear flare, and I interpreted that you wanted the trailing edge of the front flare. I'm kinda easily confused, I guess! Sorry, but from the pics, it looks like you don't need anymore measurements. It's looking great. Can't wait to see it.

doghows
May 9th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I like the way that is starting to look. To bad your garage is not bigger I would like to see it from a distance to get an idea of the whole side "look" of the car.
If I new you were this good a sheet metal work I would have recruited you to help me a long time ago... But I guess I learned by fire.
Keep it up and you will have it back on the road this summer..

Luva65wagon
May 9th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Without wheels and front fenders, it is what you see. I will take some pictures from a couple other angles now that is is more welded in place. Welding is not 100% done yet - I was running out of shield gas for the welder and didn't want to run out this weekend. Turns out the driver side is going to need a lot of patching in/out/under - so I only got 80% of it cut out yesterday and nothing welded in. It's easier to do all the under-patching with nice big openings - so that will come tonight, most likely.

As for sheet metal work... I'm a hack. I'd need far more tools than I have to really be any good at it. I get by though.

I'm getting there - but it is taking more time than I thought. Probably more my problem than the cars though. I am my own worst enemy. :(

Luva65wagon
May 12th, 2011, 12:09 AM
So, here I am now, on the drivers side. Out comes the cut-off wheel. Cut, cut cut. Hum, there is a lot of Bondo over here. Hum, where is the metal.

That's how it went. As you can see the whole bottom on this side didn't really exist. So I trimmed up to the good metal and am now slowly patching.

Steve - all I have to say... it is a good thing you brought those fenders over. I am whiddling them down to nothing making patch panels.

Probably won't get much further than this over this weekend because of the swap meet, but we'll see.

Luva65wagon
May 12th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Here's a couple random pics. The passenger side flare froma different angle and with a little more welding done. Trying to get all the pieces tacked on before I run out of gas.

The console is out of another "round body Ford"... the Taurus model that looks like the designers were being trained to use a Bezier curve. I'm going to dye it red on the top half.

doghows
May 12th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Dude you are making me feel bad. I didn't realize how bad those both were.. Let me know if you need any more of the sheet metal laying around. I have some good metal left on the parts wagon but the Ranchero is pretty much gone. I might have to do some free coating for you to make up for the poor shape of the cars??[thumb]

Luva65wagon
May 12th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Ah - don't feel bad. Things are working out just fine. The way I see it - it was bad enough to allow me to be creative with it. And learn more about the construction of a Falcon than anyone has need to know. [thumb]

But I dare say, you probably know just about as much by now.

doghows
May 13th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Ain't that the truth.. I like the look of the fenders the little wedge piece you put in will set it off just enough people will wonder what you did.
The inside floor area looks fantastic, almost makes me want to do another one?? Can't wait to see it done.[BOW]

Jeff W
May 20th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Okay Roger... new direction for your Ranchero

BillP 98201
May 21st, 2011, 06:47 AM
Lookin good Jeff! lol

Luva65wagon
May 21st, 2011, 02:23 PM
Okay Roger... new direction for your Ranchero

Don't tempt me like that Jeff!

I contemplated a push-me pull-you Ranchero too...

doghows
May 24th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Update .... Update... Is it time for paint???:D

Luva65wagon
May 24th, 2011, 12:11 PM
It's time to lay some filler (which I HATE doing), but not quite ready for paint. :( I've moved into the bed and am engineering the closing in of that area. Lots of pondering how best to do it with stone knives and bear skins (quiz: Where did this quote come from?)

I am at it every day, even if I don't post anything, but the pictures I took of the finished drivers side looked oddly similar to the passenger side. :confused:

I did all the work underneath too, so I can begin undercoating all that now. If only I could clone myself... share a beer with myself... :BEER:

doghows
May 24th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Either clone yourself or Gene, or both?? Glad to hear it is moving forward. I try to play a little every night myself but the list is soooooo long...

falcon cobra
May 24th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I just love the smell of bondo in the morning ....just don't like sweeping it off the floor... jh:BIRTHDAY:

Luva65wagon
May 24th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Either clone yourself or Gene, or both?? Glad to hear it is moving forward. I try to play a little every night myself but the list is soooooo long...

Gene has been pretty tied up this month, so haven't seen him much over the past few weeks - other than all the help he provided at the swap meet. That's OK though, he's got projects too numerous himself. I am starting to miss him though... [sniff] :(

List? You have a list? That's your problem! :p

doghows
May 24th, 2011, 04:07 PM
My list is a mental one. Or am I on the mental list???:confused: Its the honey do list that is killing me.:bicker:
What are your plans for the weekend?? Saturday might be a bust but maybe Sunday?? I am closing the shop on Monday so I have that extra honey do day.... I will keep you posted. (that almost sounded like a song?)
By the way I give up on the quote. Lets see if anyone gets it...[AGREE]

Luva65wagon
May 24th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I think we are both mental, but I digress... :confused:

I am open all weekend - it will be a 3-day get as much done as I can weekend. Make it a honey, lets go to Seattle do list. [thumb]

Google is your friend...

doghows
May 24th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I agree, it is a sickness.. I think I will shoot for Sunday that way I can fulfill my obligations at the Casino car show on Saturday, get parts on Sunday, and Honey Do on Monday??? Damn forgot to fit working on the car in there somewhere again...:mad:

SmithKid
May 24th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I'm sorry I forgot to keep you apprised. My family has FORCED :) me to E. WA for some fishing and playing. Not sure when I'll be back on that side, but it'll be before the snow flies, I'm sure. Probably MUCH sooner.

Luva65wagon
May 25th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Like I said... "projects."

Fishing is a project that never gets finished, right? [thumb]

Luva65wagon
May 28th, 2011, 10:51 PM
It's been a while since I posted much of anything related to this craziness. But I do believe I have reached a milestone with this. I think the final major fabrication is done. I've got a little pounding to do on the bed panel to remove some of the dimples and then that is ready to paint the underside.

So here are pictures are a couple left-overs from finishing up the drivers side wheel well and shows the underneath. Underneath is ready for sealing and then I'm going to undercoat it all (when I can track down some undercoating).

Today I did the work on the bed panel and support for that. As indicated before I'm leaving access to this underside part and needed to make it so when I install the bed panel I can totally seal that off.

So here's a few overdue pics.

Luva65wagon
May 28th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Here's the work done to make the bed panel support. The fun part was heating up the piece that wraps around the wheel house. This is typically only sealed by stamped sheet metal pieces that are not a seal in the best of times.

Really, I have concluded these beds were never really ever intended to stay dry. I think it would be impossible - at least as a factory assembly. I've got this setup so that if I do it right, it'll be pretty water tight. I have plans as a "just in case", but it won't ever get as much water in there as it used to.

The bed panel work is to make it so that I need only remove the little metal oval cover to access the upper shock mounts - instead of every taking off the large bed panel.

Luva65wagon
May 28th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Fishing up the bed panel...

BillP 98201
May 29th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Well if I have learned anything from this, it would be to "Dont be afraid to try"
If I do try, and it doesnt work out Roger can fix it for me! :ROTFLMAO:
Nice work Roger

BadBird
May 29th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Amen to that. I went over to see the "status" and I am amazed. Great work and creativity Roger. Larry

doghows
May 31st, 2011, 08:08 AM
Amazing work. I saw this car for a long time in person and this is a tremendous amount of work. You are going to have 2 show cars when you are done. Daily driver Hmmm??? I sent the under coat gun over with Brian, and thanks for the parts to help get my turd back on the road...
Great job can't wait to see it in person...

Luva65wagon
May 31st, 2011, 11:16 PM
Funny thing - I went to put on my cap today as I headed out to the garage - and I all the sudden realized I had a bigger head today for some reason. Now I know why. :confused:

Trust me - my intentions are still as a driver, but you can't go pulling things apart and not repair them... OK, restore them. As I've said - and been told - I am my own worst enemy. :rolleyes:

I did build a dam for the bottom of the opening under the bed area - just in case. I will build a speaker box to fit in that space with maybe some other cavity to store things. We'll see. But I will totally fiberglass it in that area and it will stand an inch off the deck so if any water does get in, it can drain. It will only be water if anything.

Ford didn't really intend to keep stuff out of that area - they just probably never told anyone; "you ought to take off the cover and clean it every spring - and then seal it up again."

Right now I am crawling around under the car and getting the underside all sealed and ready for undercoat. I read on some site of a guy getting excellent result by using Loctite Polyurethane roof and flashing sealant - so I picked up a few tubes of it. Looks like it is going to be some really good stuff. Taking forever to cure, but that's OK.

As for the undercoating - I can't find any that I want to use right now. I know Home Depot has it in spray cans for $3.50 each - so I may pick up a few of these to see what quality they are. Thanks for sending over the gun Steve. I may use it still.

Pictures to follow when I take some more.

doghows
June 1st, 2011, 08:07 AM
If you use the gun great if not we will just get it back to Pete when we are done. He don't need it any more.
You are giving me some good ideas if I ever get the delivery done and start to work on my little turd.
* Off topic * but what time are you leaving your place for the show on Sunday?? Might have the Ranchero but maybe the truck not sure yet but I should get my junk out of your yard.
Keep up the cool work can't wait to see it live.[BOW]

Luva65wagon
June 9th, 2011, 11:28 PM
I have been making progress, but have only been able to get out there a couple times this week and I didn't get much done last weekend apart from spraying some bed-liner material on the cab floor an the hole under the bed.

I did get the rest of the engine bay and the core support cleaned up and ready to paint on Saturday night before the show last Sunday. I sprayed the first coat of paint on that before walking out of the garage tonight.

Tonight I also made the irreversible move to cut holes into the package tray (as Jeff suggested and I knew was the only way to do it) and begin the install the shoulder style seat belt system. Got the driver side done and now just need to rinse and repeat on the passenger side.

Luva65wagon
June 9th, 2011, 11:34 PM
And more pictures of the seat belt install. For the threaded part in the B pillar I welded two 7" long metal flats together and drilled and tapped the 7/16-20 hole in it, then welded a piece of sheetmetal about 7" long to it and pushed it up from under the package tray, bolted it in, then tacked it in place.

Luva65wagon
June 9th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Here are the final views of the seat belt install. Hopefully it will help others with a Ranchero to go to 3-point belts.

doghows
June 10th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Very nice. Maybe someday we can perform that on the barn turd?? I'll bet it feels good to do some work other than sheet metal repair/replacement.
[thumb]

Luva65wagon
June 13th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Well, got out there kind of late tonight, but was able to spray the red on the dash, package tray, b-pillar panels, and the steering column parts.

Also some shots of the engine bay all painted and the underside sealed-up using Duplicolor bed-liner (Steve, used you neighbors gun - worked great). Can now start bolting stuff back on between doing some work on the doors so I can get those ready to go on.

I'm debating still on the white theme. I found 3/4 of a gallon of gun-metal gray enamel I've had for a while, which goes very well with red. :confused:

So there...

;)

doghows
June 14th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I think you should have powder coated the steering column!!!
I am jealous you have managed to catch up to me and pass my progress in just a few weeks. I can see this back on the road in about 3 weeks?? Sound about right? Then you can drive over here and help me line up my fenders, hood and doors. What a pain.
Looks awesome however. If I we a wealthy man I would hire you to finish mine....[BOW]

Luva65wagon
June 14th, 2011, 10:38 AM
If I were a wealthy man I'd be paying others to do it too...

In 3 weeks my 4 month goal is up. I may come close, but I'm not sure how far. I think it may eat up another month. We'll see how it goes. If I don't get too crazy on the body work - trying to make it too perfect (for a driver) - I may do OK. I need to jamb it with the color I plan for out into the future, really, so that's what I need to decide now.

That gunmetal gray I found looks really nice - I have no recollection of where it came from. I think it was a mix of my own from various quarts of other paints I bought (when it was only $20 a quart and not $130 a quart). I need to use it on something, right? Right now I have a quart of glacier blue, this new red (Rangoon), a red I used on the flatbed a few years ago (wasn't the right color), some white for the wagon, a quart (maybe two) of purple (from my days of being married to a purple freak), and a couple other cans I have yet to open. I know, I could just empty the cans into one big can and make 2 gallons of Mutt-colored paint. [thumb]

"Say. What color is that?" "Mutt."

Luva65wagon
June 14th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Then you can drive over here and help me line up my fenders, hood and doors. What a pain..

Well - you have the order wrong as it is. It is doors first, then fenders (where they meet the doors - leave the front and fender aprons loose), and then hood to cowl and adjust fender fronts and hood as one adjustment.

Pain - yes. But try a 1956 F100 someday - or even that 67 pickup of mine. Simple by comparison.

doghows
June 14th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Maybe spray the gray, and then use the other colors to make it look like a dalmatian? Or start at the bottom use one color and make it like 4 tone as you work your way up??
Actually the gray with some red stripes might look pretty cool??? Kind of goes back to your original thought of flat black with the stripes??:confused:

Luva65wagon
June 14th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I'd like to make sure I have enough - but also use up some of this "gold in a can" I have laying around here. I suspect 3/4 of a gallon should paint that considering I don't need to paint the roof (vinyl roof) or the bed area.

I'll see what I come up with later.

Luva65wagon
June 16th, 2011, 12:14 AM
OK - After staring at it more tonight, and staring at it some more, I think I'm going to go with the paint I have instead of the white/red theme. So, I'm going to jamb it with the charcoal paint and do some minor body-work on the area I worked on (not trying to get it all painted right now) and start putting it all back together. I can then do body-work at my leisure.

So here's a sample of the paint colors it may eventually be, but parts of it will be. Add some yellow and some green self-etching primer and you get the complete picture. The interior will be done completely though.

Edit - in fact, here are all the colors.

doghows
June 16th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Sounds like it will be camouflage like my barn find car??:D Sounds like a good way to go for now. Get it back on the road and drive it. Worry about the color later..[thumb]

Luva65wagon
June 16th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Wow Steve, this is like our own private blog in public.

Yeah, I'm getting burned out. Bad. Work has been hell on wheels too, so just need to get it on the road and worry about the other bits here and there. It'll still be cool.

BillP 98201
June 17th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Grey with purple stripes..... unless it brings back bad memories :ROTFLMAO:
The interior is going to be????

Luva65wagon
June 17th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I might do purple pin stripes - or maybe not.

The interior will be mostly all red - as most of the pictures show - but I'm putting in black carpet, dash pad, and door panels. I got most of these real cheap off ebay. May not end up looking good - but we'll see. I've never see it done before, but it ought to make the red really pop without being totally enveloped in red. I think with the charcoal paint, it'll tie in nicely.

The important thing is to get it together before storage of the wagon adds too much more to the cost. It all adds up, you know.

doghows
June 17th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Finish the inside and slam her together. When you are ready to paint, call me and I will see if I am ready for primer or paint and we will set up a booth in my shop and shoot them both. Shoot one pull it out and shoot the second one, and then put them both in for clear???[thumb]

BillP 98201
June 18th, 2011, 06:39 AM
How about grey with red pinstripes to tie it together?[thumb]

doghows
June 20th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Practice your skills up on your and then come over here and help me paint the barn find flat black. The camouflage paint is getting old..[thumb]

Luva65wagon
June 20th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I have to come clean.

I've been carrying this inside for far too long.....

I HATE BODYWORK!

:WHATTHE:

:p

doghows
June 21st, 2011, 07:56 AM
I thought it was just me !!??!! I haven't touched mine in a few weeks It is very tiring and tedious. Fortunately it is taking me forever to line up the body panels. Then it will be more of the B word.:doh:
By the way what paint did you use on your black truck. I think that is what I want to spray on the barn car for now..?

SmithKid
June 21st, 2011, 09:06 AM
Roger, haven't I seen comments like that before in another thread?

Luva65wagon
June 21st, 2011, 01:08 PM
Not sure Gene. I'm sure we have all felt the same.

Don't have pictures taken yet, but I spent all day Saturday and Sunday doing the "rough-in" bodywork on the rear quarters. Good enough for now. Sealed it all in with some primer sealer.

Then I masked off all the red painted stuff in preparation for spraying the jambs in the next day or so. While that then is curing for a couple days I will pull the doors in and start to clean them up.

So hopefully by next week I can really start to assemble this Falconstien. At that point I may call on a couple smiling faces to help me put the headliner, vinyl roof, and glass in. That will be a huge milestone.

doghows
June 21st, 2011, 04:19 PM
I'll help, I'll help Mr Kotter.. It would be nice to see one come back together for a change.
By the way what did you use to paint your black truck. I think i said that already?? The barn turd is going flat black for now.. Thanks Let me know when...

Luva65wagon
June 21st, 2011, 10:06 PM
I'll help, I'll help Mr Kotter.. It would be nice to see one come back together for a change.
By the way what did you use to paint your black truck. I think i said that already?? The barn turd is going flat black for now.. Thanks Let me know when...

Go to Home Depot - #7777 Rustoleum Satin Black. There is an article in Hot Rod this week showing this as a paint-job option. They used flat black, but I like the Satin Black better.

And speaking of truck - I suppose I can write off your friend on that?

doghows
June 22nd, 2011, 08:28 AM
I wouldn't hold my breath for him. He has to put a new roof on his house now so he will be broke for a while. I'll keep asking around and show the pics to people that I have..
Thanks for the color tip, I am going to sand her down and paint her up..

Luva65wagon
June 22nd, 2011, 09:33 PM
OK Steve - thanks for the heads-up.

Tonight I sprayed the charcoal gray in the jambs and window openings and the cowl. So as that cures up for a couple days I'll bring in the doors next and get them fixed up.

My guess is that by the 4th of July weekend (my official close... and "miss..." of my 4-month goal) I'll be trying to put the windshield and back glass back in - if anybody is around. And hopefully I'll have a whole heck of a lot of other things back on by then too.

:)

Luva65wagon
June 26th, 2011, 10:46 PM
It's been a few days since I did an update, but here's where I'm at as of today. Pictures say it all.

Luva65wagon
June 26th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Vinyl roof, headliner, and some work under the dash.

Pretty much ready to put the glass in now. Hoping for Saturday morning.

Will start bolting bits and pieces on as I can during the week between working on the doors some more. I got the passenger door about 90% stripped, but found the door handle had been hit hard and bashed in the door there. Fixable.

The roof came out only "OK." Not 100% happy with it, but not bad for a first time and it really being a 2-person job. It'll suffice.

BillP 98201
June 27th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Where did you learn to all this stuff? Looks great! Wow that interior is RED!!!!

doghows
June 27th, 2011, 08:48 AM
That looks bad a**. So close to be on the road again. :shift: You going to finish it in time to drive it over here?? If not I will just have to drive mine over so I can see it in person. Great job, keep practicing and soon it will be time to put the delivery back together...

Luva65wagon
June 27th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Where did you learn to [do] all this stuff?

Osmosis [thumb]

Luva65wagon
June 27th, 2011, 09:00 AM
you going to finish it in time to drive it over here??

This weekend?

:ROTFLMAO:

doghows
June 27th, 2011, 11:48 AM
One can always dream right???? Maybe around the 16th of July? 2 car shows that weekend. One on the 16th and one on the 17th...

Luva65wagon
June 27th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I'm going all-out. So, we'll see. I'd like to cancel the storage garage the end of July and finish up what I need to do to the Ranchero in the carport. It just needs to move under its own power to do that. That I may make by the 16th. Time will tell.

Luva65wagon
July 2nd, 2011, 10:04 PM
My brother-in-law (or was once, anyway) came by today and helped me put in my glass. It was a little finicky for some reason compared to others I've done. Not sure, but it seemed the rubber seal was larger than the glass by about an inch or two. Got it in though. The back glass was easier to install, but it's a wedge you have to shove it into, so it's tight at the door edge and you end up smearing half the sealer as you push it in.

The one thing driving me crazy is that the headliner, in the back, won't stay glued up. I've glued it twice, but it still wants to pull away. I'm " this " close to making some kind of trim piece to put into the corner above the glass.

Also, I had ordered an export brace from Falcon Enterprises, but they were claiming no ETA they could promise. There's been a guy on Craigslist with one and a belly-bar, so I cancelled the FP.com order and got his. It was pretty tweaked for some reason - or my car is. After some twisting and pounding on it, I think it is ready to go on. Will need to make a few 1/2" spacers to shim it up or the back part will hit the cowl.

So another milestone reached. Whew-hoo.

Jeff W
July 2nd, 2011, 10:40 PM
I am not an expert, but I think the area that you are having trouble "letting go" is not supposed to be glued. I think the glue line should stop where the rubber seal does. I read this somewhere when researching in preparation to install mine.

I can't think of an easy way to repair this. Look on the bright side, how many people look up at the ceiling?

Luva65wagon
July 2nd, 2011, 10:52 PM
Really? I didn't pay that close attention when I pulled it (DOH), but it would be hard to have glued it to the area where the seal edge is. I would have thunk this surface area would have held better. I may have to go look at Gene's someday.

There is plenty of area to screw something up there to hold it taut, so I guess that's what I'll be doing. A saggy headliner is not a good headliner. Just got to find that right something.

Jeff W
July 2nd, 2011, 11:08 PM
Just got to find that right something.

Gun rack?

If you look at Gene's he probably has a fishin' pole rack.

Luva65wagon
July 2nd, 2011, 11:13 PM
Thanks Jeff. Needed a good laugh. But if you look above the rack - there is a piece of trim in the corner.

It's curved at the roof, but flat on the glass panel, I have room in both directions to screw something of almost an inch. So, maybe a piece of flat metal painted red.

Jeff W
July 2nd, 2011, 11:21 PM
Maybe Larry (Badbird) can help make a nice fiberglass strip with some lights and speakers. His trunk work is Top Drawer

Luva65wagon
July 3rd, 2011, 10:24 PM
After taking a trip over to Steve's to do some parts-stripping off the 65 Futura Sedan with the telephone-pole redesign, I looked at the headliner in his Ratchero, which still looks to have the factory headliner - and sure enough they must have pulled it in a straight-line from the last bow right to the window flange. Maybe a little loose. Then when the glass went in, the rubber seal would have pulled it more taut. Anyway - not about to pull that glass out to change it - so it's going to get some trim piece installed up there. Just got to decide exactly what now... as long as it doesn't involve rifles or fishing poles.

Otherwise, got an alternator bracket, all the wiring (what was left of it - some got mangled by the aforementioned telephone-pole), and a few hard-to-find 3/8" cage nuts I need to bolt the steering column brace back on. And the carb for Jeff to play with.

pbrown
July 4th, 2011, 06:34 PM
- so it's going to get some trim piece installed up there. Just got to decide exactly what now... as long as it doesn't involve rifles or fishing poles.

I have an idea. How about a 1/4" stainless solid round bar? Flatten the ends with a file maybe and drill a hole in each end to secure it. Bend it to the shape of the roof. Polish it up and it would look good.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=4475&step=4&showunits=inches&id=7&top_cat=1

You can get a five foot length for about $5. This store is here is Seattle so you can just drop in and pick it up.

Luva65wagon
July 5th, 2011, 12:40 PM
That is an excellent idea Patrick. Polished stainless would be a nice finish and would actually follow the curve if I make it just the right length. Thanks!

doghows
July 5th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Come on now... You're heading into show car territory again...:ROTFLMAO: Keep thinking driver, driver....

Just kidding I like the way it is looking so far. Can't wait to see it running.[thumb]

Luva65wagon
July 6th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Come on now... You're heading into show car territory again...:ROTFLMAO: Keep thinking driver, driver....

No, I'm just thinking of no headliner dangling in front of my eyes territory. I can use a wooden dowel too, it wouldn't rust either (a good reason to use stainless or aluminum).

The world is fighting against me to get out there and do much work. I had hoped at least 3 full days of my 4-day weekend, but I had maybe only one. But I did make it out to the Pick and Pull on Sunday morning when I was notified of a couple Ranchero's being out there - and then proceeded to Sequim to Steve's place to pick and pull from the pole-dancing Futura sedan he got. So, that's good. I will be bolting stuff on now. That's for sure.

Luva65wagon
July 7th, 2011, 01:03 PM
After promising Karsten (63Sedan) the brake light switch I got out of the Pick and Pull because I am converting to the 65 style switch assembly, I found I couldn't make that work with the infamous cam-bolt used on the 60-64 cars.

So I made a mad-dash to the Pick and Pull to look and see if the 65 Ranchero sitting there still had brake pedal assy (it didn't) and then started looking at other Ford cars that might have used the same switch style. It turned out there is 2 Mavericks out there.

Jeff, with the help of Kenny and Brian, pulled the 4-lug 8" out of one of them, but the other one I found has an 8" 5-lug rear sitting under it... but I pulled the brake pedal out so I could study how those funky Ford switches work. After spending the next 2-hours fighting making the thing work - even with the Maverick brake pedal (and saying to myself, "This is the wackiest brake switch in the world!), I finally grabbed the new switch I had in my bins and replaced it. It instantly started working fine. So 2 hours wasted. I still needed to rig a new bolt assembly for that style switch, but I think I have a solution. I'll post some pictures when I have it finalized.

So brake pedal assembly and brake lines and the long gas line go in next. Then the rear-end and front suspension.

doghows
July 7th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Hmmmm 4 lug eight"?? Maybe I should talk nice to them. That would fit nicely under the Ratchero??? I am think along your lines now Roger. A nice little 289, and c-4 combo?? OK dream is over I need to finish the delivery first...
Will all that wiring work that you got or have you found anything missing. If so let me know and I will pull it...
Post some pics when she is back on her tires, that will be a huge mile stone!!!:BEER:

Luva65wagon
July 7th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Yeah - I think the Maverick and maybe Comet around 1970 - give or take - got a 4-lug 8." That is the rear-end I picked up one of the first trips I made to come visit your place. I have one under my wagon, as does Kenny under his car - and soon so will Jeff. The 8" in that Maverick I saw yesterday is a great swap for a V8 Falcon conversion. I don't know what they charge for them (Jeff does), but it is probably far less than I paid for mine.

I think I got all the wiring out of the pole-kissed sedan. Bits of it were hacked, as I indicated when pulling it out, but I will be splicing in a bunch of other wires from a 67 Comet, for left and right turn signal indicators, larger fuse block, and the 2-speed wiper and switch with intermittent action. So I'm Franken-wiring it.

I will, indeed, post more pictures soon.

Jeff W
July 7th, 2011, 05:14 PM
The rear-end from Pick N Pull was around $80.00 plus two large sodas for the boys.

From my understanding, Maverick/Comet six cylinders from middle of 1970 to 1972 had the 4 lug. In '73 they all went to five lug regardless of engine size. 3.00:1 and 2.79:1 were ratios offered.

I also understand that the bolt pattern for the 4 lug 8" backing plates are the same as the little guys (7-1/4") so I can swap the large 2-1/4" wide shoes/drums from my wagon to replace the 1-1/2" that came on the Maverick.

I'm happy to have it.

Luva65wagon
July 7th, 2011, 11:19 PM
As for today's progress on my craziness, I got the brake and clutch pedals dangling under there now. Then I put the wiper assembly in complete with the F100 2 speed wiper motor and intermittent wiper switch. Getting the switch in was no small feat. It's a lot fatter than the original and it was up against the dash support that sits vertically behind the cluster. I went though a door hinge bolt hole with a long rod and pounded - eh, I mean "massaged" - the metal over to make room for it. I also got the 65 headlight switch mounted. Both of these need to have special knob work in the way of shortening the shaft on the wiper switch and file a flat in it, and shorten the 65 headlight switch rod and add the knurling to grab the new knob.

Tomorrow I think I'll tackle the brake lines and fuel line. I keep putting these off.

Luva65wagon
July 10th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Have made pretty good progress the past couple of days - though Saturday was cut short. Gene came out yesterday for a couple hours and we got the upper and lower control arms on. I spent today and finished up the brake lines, the fuel line to the back, and mounted the rest of the steering components... and a few other bits. It's nice to see the parts bins emptying out...

:)

BillP 98201
July 11th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Looking good Roger! Nice duel master cylinder. Looks like its coming along great! :BEER:

BadBird
July 11th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Looking fantasticamonious. I can't believe how much you get done in such a short period of time. Larry

Luva65wagon
July 12th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I can't believe how much you get done in such a short period of time.

No honey - no do. Simple as that. Sad, but true.

[AGREE]

But last night I did finally decide I better clean those gutters or I would have trees growing out of there instead of just weeds...

doghows
July 12th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I say slap up a sign that says "Back to Nature" and let them grow!!!!!:D

Luva65wagon
July 12th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Gene lent a hand getting my front and rear springs in tonight. Had to cut one coil out of the front springs, but they are V8 springs and I will have a I6 in it for some time. I hope when the V8 eventually goes in, it'll be just about the right ride height. I tried everything I could to get them in before deciding the cut the coil.

Next comes the rear-end assembly and installation... got to get the red wheels with some rubber on them very, very, soon.

doghows
July 13th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Must be getting excited to see it back on the wheels. No more teeter tauter!?! I found me a set of 14" steel wheels I think I will coat red to go with my ratchero look. Now I need to find a cool set of hub caps for them. I think that will work well.
So it looks like this weekend won't be happening for the "flairchero". I will look at all the car shows over here and see what else is coming up in a few weeks. You could always drive over here on September 17th for the sprint boat races. It will be the first race at the new track in Port Angeles.
Anyway keep us posted on the car and pics are always fun too. [thumb]

Luva65wagon
July 13th, 2011, 01:19 PM
No... "Flarechero" ain't going nowhere this weekend - or next, for that matter. I'm even losing one day this weekend for a "work thing." :(

Still, by the end of this weekend, I hope to get the rear-end in, the brakes on and bled, and down on all 4's. Then I can finally roll it back against the barn-door to make room so I can lift the motor onto the engine stand for a little detail work and inspection. I'll be pulling the pan and valve cover to inspect and re-gasket and look at general condition.

When done with that I can lift the engine into the engine bay. Then I'll spend a couple days making another "as good as they can get" Dagenham 4-speed to put back in. I now have 4 of these, so I will take the best parts of all of them (sort of like I have done with the various Rancheros and Falcons that have been sacrificed for this cause) and, hopefully, make one good one. I have a new gasket kit and seal for that too. Then I can slide that in and measure for the drive-line.

Should have no problems getting all that done by Monday. :ROTFLMAO:

SmithKid
July 13th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Was going to leave you a PM, but saw no way to attach a pic. This is the passenger side (obviously). So.... my rear springs measure 2.528" as measured with my new caliper. The shackles appear to be the same as the ones on Flarechero.

Luva65wagon
July 13th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks Gene.

Your picture shows me one thing (after you left) I concluded must not be right and kept me thinking long after I should have been sleeping. See how your bracket is supported along its entire length (especially the eye) above it where it bolts to the frame? When you flip the ones I have toward the rear, like yours is mounted, the eye of the bracket it hanging over the ledge of the support. As in - they are NOT supported. So I may look and see whether if I drill new holes I can move the eye toward the front of the car more. Better supported and less apt to flatten as we saw when the springs are unweighted because the eye will be more directly above the eye in the spring. Your bracket is also clearly wider too, to match the spring. But that might not be too big an issue.

As usual, you are the man!

"New" caliper... [thumb]

doghows
July 13th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Well hopefully once it is back on all fours you can bring the wagon home and save that $ for more parts. Keep on keepin on it will be done before mine. :rocker:

Luva65wagon
July 13th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Well, I don't know exactly what is different between yours Gene, and this year, but the most I was able to shift the hanger forward was about 1/2" and no more. It does now bring the eye partly under the rear frame extendo (I'm sure that's the correct terminology). At least now, when you raise the leaf-spring, it wants to push the shackle backwards.

Then I pressed the new bearings on the rear axles, cleaned up and painted the punkin, and then put the rear-end together. So that will get lifted in tomorrow. Then, onto the brakes.

I forgot to bring the camera out, but will take some tomorrow before I put it in.

SmithKid
July 14th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Want me to measure from the end of the "rear frame extendo" to the eye of the perch?

Luva65wagon
July 14th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Just looking at it in the picture - the entire length of yours seems longer than mine. Like they made it longer to support the eye. Your eye is clearly rearward and supported fully by the extendo, but mine isn't.

So using those nifty calipers, maybe you can measure from the forward edge of the extendo to the first bolt center, then bolt center to bolt center, then rearward bolt center to the end of the rear edge of extendo.

Gosh, that sounds as crazy as I am...

SmithKid
July 14th, 2011, 01:37 PM
My "extendo" is 5.3" long. Frontmost bolt is 1.7" from front. Rearmost bolt is 1.7" from rear. Bolt to bolt is 1.9".

Disclaimer follows:
There is quite a bit of parallax involved while taking these measurements, so the actual measurements I gave are a close approximation.

doghows
July 14th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I just got a headache from reading this. I hope I never have to measure my extendo???:ROTFLMAO:

Luva65wagon
July 14th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Hey - my Mom reads this thread... :WHATTHE:

...but to be clear, I learned Gene's extendo is longer than mine and I'll need to come up with something to add some length to mine. It would behoove you to measure your extendo too.

Here's what Gene and I did tonight. (Rated G)

doghows
July 15th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Is it just me or does that rear axle look especially good? (must be the powder coat?)
Just kidding it ALL looks very good. So close to being back on the solid ground. I like those rear shock/springs. I think mine need replacing where did you score those at?
I might have to make a trip over just to see how you progress looks in person. :shift:[thumb]

pbrown
July 15th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Is it just me or does that rear axle look especially good? (must be the powder coat?)

It looks great for basic black :cool:.

doghows
July 15th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I think we would have done it in a color, but I don't think Roger knew what color the car was going to be at that point???
I should have mixed up the boxes of powder and shot it bright red like the wheels.:D

Luva65wagon
July 16th, 2011, 11:19 PM
I was seriously considering hot pink...

I hauled the red rims and the Summit rims w/tires down to Discount Tire today and had them swap rims out. Then lifted one into the hole -- didn't like it. The flare didn't match the centerline of the wheel, so I went to pep-boys and bought a 1" lift/lowering kit and used it to move the rear-end back 2" to center it up. Took a little fabricating to get something that won't shift around, but much-much better now. Now I need a 3" longer brake hose, but oh-well. Driveline isn't made yet, so better now than after I made that. Still could lower it 3 or more inches. Tons of room.

Front brakes tomorrow and then down on the ground for the first time in 4 months. [yay]

doghows
July 18th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Picture?? I can't wait to see it now. I just dropped off 4 wheels for mine, and I will powder them bright red as well. Now for some hub caps?? Any good suggestions?:rocker:

Luva65wagon
July 18th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I was out there until 10:30 last night, but I had to re-do the rear brake line and then get the master cylinder and brake pedal hooked up. I decided, last minute, to modify the new push-rod from the new master cylinder to make it the right length, but they messed up and made the back step (the part that pushes the brake switch) a little too long. So when I bolted it up, the switch was on all the time. So pulled it and machined about .025 off of it. All was well then.

Just took too long to rework some of that, so I never did get the system bled and the wheels down on the ground. But the front brakes are on, bearings in the drums and cinched-up. Got the front shocks and export brace bolted onto the shock towers, but still need to drill holes and bolt the cowl section down. Once I get the brakes bled, I will put all the wheels on and drop her down.

I have been studying the pattern of the powder coat on the wheels and it seems to me that if you baked the rims flat, you may find this issue we saw go away. You hung the rims and I could see where "up" was. The powder did well at the bottom (I assume from gravity), but had the bubbles more as it went to the top of the rim. So, if you could hang them flat, it might solve this.

As for hub caps - what is the cap diameter? Ford had 9.5" and 10.5" poverty caps.

doghows
July 18th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Only problem with laying them flat it would make it hard to get to the bottom side? I have played with different ways to try to get them the best and every way seems to have a good and bad about it?? I just try to take the lesser of the evils?? Soon as I figure out the anti gravity machine all will be good.
I'll have to measure the wheels and see. They were the ones off of the pole car. 14" steel ones.

Luva65wagon
July 18th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I think 4-lug wheels are 9.5" and 5-lug had to go to 10.5" to accommodate the increase bolt circle.

I would think you could run two wires as hoops though the 4-lug rim (in a cross pattern) - or two through 3 (in a vee pattern) to get the rim to lay flat. And since it is static attracting the powder it would get the underside. Just thinking...

doghows
July 18th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I am experimenting with mine as we speak. I ran 3 wires with washers twisted in them and suspended the rims. I will see what they do. Other than that the prep is the same as yours.
Now the explains why my ears are burning all the time.:D Glad I could distract you for a while. I just hope the distraction didn't cost too much...:o

Luva65wagon
July 18th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I just hope the distraction didn't cost too much...:o

I purposefully burn my receipts to keep me from getting any more depressed than I already am.

Honestly - I don't want to know.

:o

Jeff W
July 18th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I think 4-lug wheels are 9.5" and 5-lug had to go to 10.5" to accommodate the increase bolt circle.

That's what I used to think... but if you remember my quest (now solved thaks to steve) there are four lug with 9.5" and 10.5" poverty caps.

I think the 9.5" have the three mounting ears and the 10.5 have the four mounting ears.

I have two of the 14" four tab (10.5" caps) right now that would be free for the ask. I had them @ Monroe with no takers. Good rubber as well.

Luva65wagon
July 18th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Ah - that's right. I remember those wheels. I was surprised when Chris with the white Ranchero showed up a couple weeks ago with 13" 5-lug wheels. I would have never thunk. Ford... what were they thinking. I'm thinking I can get 22"s under mine now.

:banana:

OK, maybe not.

:(

doghows
July 19th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Ok mine are 14" 3 tab wheels and looks like the hub caps size is 9.5. The wheels are very red now, but had the same results as yours did Roger?? Back to the drawing board. I remember doing a set of new steel wheels and they did not have the same problem. I think I am getting some gassing out in those areas. Might have to spend a little more time with a dental pick cleaning them out???
Anyway sorry about the hijack, how is the flarechero going, is it on the ground today??:confused:

Luva65wagon
July 19th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Maybe you need to pour some acetone into those grooves and blow, pour, blow, pour, blow. If it's out-gassing something, this should clear it out. You may also tig-weld them and smooth them.

No, I took the day off yesterday. The car is not yet on the ground. Tonight I should get the brakes bled and the front tires on. Then I roll it back to gain some room and start the clean-up on the engine and get that in. Then go though my 4 Dagenham 4-speeds and make a best I can get of one - and put that in. Then measure for a drive-line.

Luva65wagon
July 20th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I did get the brakes bled after plugging a few leaks. I really had a hard time getting them to stop leaking. My flaring tool must be wearing out or something.

I then got the front tires on, but then decided I really should get the gas tank and Jag cap hooked up, e-brake handle hooked up, and hang the exhaust under it again - before - I set her down and move it to the back of the garage. So I got the e-brake done last night and called it quits at 10:30PM.

I will take some more pictures pretty soon.

Luva65wagon
July 24th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Here's some overdue images of "the progress." The wide-angle lens really makes the wheels look small in the opening, but they are. I could probably get 22"'ers under there now.

Got the steering column in next. Having thunk about the horn button for 8 weeks after finding it and the steering wheel I purchased from Jay Baker, I managed to "adapt" the plastic Superior horn button into the chrome Falcon horn button. Worked out nicely.

Then I moved onto the gas tank, which I knew was leaking, but to save $279-$350 for a new gas tank I purchased the Eastwood Tank sealer kit. Let me say right now -- DON'T EVER DO THIS. What a long, painful, task. I have no idea if it's going to work. I spent almost 10 hours filling that tank with chemicals, and acid, and water, and more acid, and I saw no rust coming out and there was lots. So after spending 8 hours doing what they said should take about 2, I finally said, "Enough's, enough" and I poured the sealant in and then spent anther 2 hours rotating that tank every which way until it built up a coating. They say to pour out any excess. Oh? 3 opening and none would pour. So, let me rotate it some more. Over newspaper. Ooh- some came out. finally let it sit on it's top (which was rustiest, and let it cure. If it shows the east amount of leaking - out it goes.

As I ended the day today I made the template for the Jaguar to filler hose and will take that to a muffler shop to have them bend me up my filler tube.

Finally, the Duraspark II distributor all cleaned and ready for the new spring modification mentioned on the Classic In-lines site. More on that later, when I'm awake.

Luva65wagon
July 24th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Steering column, steering wheel, and horn button. :)

Luva65wagon
July 24th, 2011, 12:31 AM
That $279 ebay gas tank was sounding pretty good after about 6 hours or messing with this. :doh:

And the distributor and filler tube pattern...

doghows
July 26th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Coming together very nicely. I will need to come over for another visit and see it live again. Been having a craving for Krisp Kreme anyway.
Should be driving her in August sometime I am guessing. Getting very close. Keep up the great work it will be worth it in the long run!!!:BEER:

Luva65wagon
July 27th, 2011, 11:29 PM
So, of course, most know I am looking for a timing cover because mine is missing a boss for mounting the alternator. Tonight I pulled the pan and valve covers. Gene had shown up late this evening as I was pulling the pan - as I held up a soft piece of aluminum - and then saw another protruding from the crank. The thrust bearing is washed out. The crank looks pretty good otherwise (two caps pulled so far).

So it needs at least that bearing - if I can get just a single. Otherwise I can get all the mains, replace the seals, timing chain and gears (that's wiped). Of course there is the risk of being trapped in that awful curse we all know all to well... the curse of while I'm at it. Buahhhahhahha....

It doesn't look like the rockers have seen oiling in a long time, still need a timing cover, exhaust manifold (if I can't find my old one). Would almost need a full set of gaskets now. Make up a driveline for an engine I may not know the rest of the condition of the engine.

Or do I just assemble the 289.

Decisions, decisions....

BillP 98201
July 28th, 2011, 06:54 AM
If you already have the 289.... why not? buhahahaha unless its going to be a every day driver.

Luva65wagon
July 28th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I do have a "fresh" 289 .060 over block, crank, pistons (hung), heads with larger valves and all the bells and whistles - but need to have it all checked out.

It was a Craigslist buy I got about 4 years ago for $500. A big bin of parts came with it, like:

Edelbrock manifold
TRW pistons
2 different cams (last I recall were pretty radical, but I don't remember exactly the specs)
Roller rockers - missing one ball swivel making these incomplete
Rings, installed, but one ring was broken - making these incomplete
2 oil pumps
Flex plate
And a few other bits.

I have to inventory it all again. I have plenty of tin and timing cover bits in the shed. I would need bearings, gaskets (I got a full set with it, but it was missing one head gasket???). So, it wouldn't come cheaply to go that way either.

And I do plan for this to be a driver, but the plan was to put this 289 in it eventually. With the time invested already (and taking longer than I expected - story of my life lately), didn't want to do the 289 swap right now.

I think I will pull the crank out of the 200 tonight and inspect it, and the rod bearings, for excessive wear. Then go from there.

Still looking for a timing cover.

doghows
July 28th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Let me check my last 2 engines I have. Are there any specifics I should look for?? I think the one motor is a 200 (65 pole car) but the other is a 170? (61 wagon) if I have one it is yours. I will even pull it for you. I will chaeck it out tonight. I think Brian is making a trip over here soon with his stuff. If I can't get it to you before then I can send it with him.
I think I will go hide under a rock now....