PDA

View Full Version : Part out party

doghows
January 24th, 2011, 11:01 AM
As most of you have read Roger has purchase my 2 rancheros for his own personal abuse. We are going to part out the 62 at my house (Sequim) and I have a 61 4 door wagon as well. Any parts from the 4 door wagon are free if you come and pull them. I spoke to my wife and she said we could have a little BBQ or something if a bunch of guys come over. Sooo if you need some parts, or just want to get out of town, or want to see the powder coat shop come on over. I will leave it to Roger to set the date because I don't know when he wants the torture to begin. Just give me a heads up if you are coming so we can plan accordingly. Thanks Steve...:BEER:

Luva65wagon
January 24th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Steve -

I'm trying to get my ducks in a row so I can make this happen. Obviously I want to have a place to put it here while I work on it, so my thinking right now is towards maybe renting a garage to store my wagon so I can put the Ranchero in my garage for a couple months while I do the floor repair, etc. So that's what I'm looking at. Garages, I find, are not cheap.

I'm not sure when the other guys will be into this either. Still kind'a brutal out there and we'd also need at least a couple hours of daylight. So maybe some feedback from the rest of you who are interested. I'm in no tremendous rush. I know Steve is probably more in a rush to get those ugly hulks off your property than I am to add one more to mine. :D

redfalken
January 25th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I'm wide open. Just goin' along for the ride...unless I see something I can't do without!

doghows
January 25th, 2011, 08:18 AM
No hurry Roger, I just figured I would give everyone an excuse to get out of dodge. I have plenty of room so storage is no big deal. If you want to leave me your wagon for a while that would be fine!?! (haha) I just need to refrain from driving the cars now. Keep me posted and we will get all the duck lined up. Thanks again Steve...

EdsFunny
January 26th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I'm up for it. I'm still fooling about with my door hinge, so I'd love to come up with another one. Let me know what I should throw in the toolbox, as well.

Luva65wagon
January 27th, 2011, 09:24 AM
It's quite a trek over to Sequim; long day no matter how you slice it. So to make sure we can get it all done I'm hoping for slightly longer days. Or - if you guys don't care when we go - and if Steve will let us take up a bay in his MASSIVE garage, then I'd go sooner; like this weekend or next (I'm open). This trip wouldn't be specifically to get the Ranchero over to here, but rather just to strip the other two cars that are there just to get a clearer picture of what is and what should never be. That way I can order my ducks and get them all in a row. Whatever none of us can use, we can bring to the swap meet.

doghows
January 27th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I would through in two spaces in the shop. Just as long as we don't hurt my delivery. She gets to stay in the third spot.. If it is cold I can always fire up the wood stove.. Only thing I don't have for tools is a torch set-up. I can borrow one if needed. I have jacks and stands engine hoist?? Just let me know and we will get it done.... Steve..

Luva65wagon
January 27th, 2011, 05:52 PM
You'd displace the Nash!

I'd bring my sawsall. Would be good enough for most stuff, but if you can borrow your buddy Larry's torch - that might be handy in a few spots.

It can't be this weekend as it turns out, but can be just about any going forward with access to the garage bays. We'd be whipping parts around. We'd be really careful of course. I can see Steve now... :NERVOUS:

SmithKid
January 27th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I've got a nibbler that works pretty well on sheet metal to 1/16", and of course a 4' cuttoff tool. Just need air.

doghows
January 28th, 2011, 08:29 AM
The Nash lives in the other 2 car garage so no worries there. I have a sawzall, cut off wheels ect... I can get the torches no problem. I don't have anything planned right now so any weekend is good for me.
I am going to start on the wagon this weekend, but don't know how far I will get?? See you guys soon... Steve
Air is also no problem...

BillP 98201
January 28th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Ive got the next couple of weekends open..... If I could get a ride with Gene.... I would be glad to pitch in gas money or whatever.

SmithKid
January 28th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Bill, you or anyone else are welcome to ride with me. Are you reserving a spot in the front seat, rear seat, or all the way in the back? Lots of legroom all the way back, not so much in the rear seat, pretty good in the front seat. If I take my truck, I want a front seat.

BillP 98201
January 30th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Any seat is good with me. lol

Luva65wagon
January 30th, 2011, 09:20 PM
So how does next weekend look for you's guy's who want to go out there? Being able to use Steve's garage means we don't have to wait for longer days.

Saturday for me would be best. It's about a 2.5 hour drive each direction including a ferry, so expect for and plan for a long'ish day. I can haul 4 people depending on how many want to go. So let's firm up something.

doghows
January 31st, 2011, 08:29 AM
Looks good on this end. Got the shop all cleaned up this weekend so we can mess it up again. Looks like it might be decent weather??
Just a thought Roger, I don't know how much of that gray car you want to haul home, but you might want to plan a for a pick up to haul most of the weight?? I put about 400lbs of sand in the back of the yellow car and on bumps there is a rubbing underneath. I think the drive shaft rubs a bit with a lot of weight in it??
Anyway give me a head count and I think the wife and I will have burgers or something for us. Probably some sodas as well. You will have to bring you own adult beverage if you need those. Hope to see you guys soon. Thanks Steve...

P.S. Did I mention about body work??:doh:

BillP 98201
January 31st, 2011, 09:18 AM
This weekend sounds good to me

SmithKid
February 1st, 2011, 04:21 PM
I'm still planning to go. Still willing to take my pickup. Sounds like that might help. Do you have a tentative headcount so far Mr. Poohbah?

Jeff W
February 1st, 2011, 04:58 PM
I won't be going, but if someone could pick up a few parts that Steve has set aside, that would be swell.

I can't think of anything else I'm currently in need of.

Have fun and be safe.

Someone needs to take some good pictures for the newsletter.

Luva65wagon
February 1st, 2011, 06:40 PM
The only other person still holding out on availability this weekend (who wanted to go) is Kenny. Kenny?

redfalken
February 2nd, 2011, 10:17 AM
Sorry, I'm still on the fence. Jessica just found out she may be heading to Tucson very soon (maybe this weekend??) for a funeral so I'll have to wait and see what her travel plans are.

Roger - I'll give you a call if I can go (as soon as I know for sure) and probably come over to your place to carpool.

Luva65wagon
February 2nd, 2011, 09:17 PM
We'd hate to have you miss out on all the fun, but it's understandable. Just let me know when you can.

Gene, it would be really helpful to have a pickup capable of hauling those of us who can go (so far 3, 4 if Kenny can make it). The ferry trip will be cheaper for sure. That way we can haul a few things back. We'll be sure not to mess up your bed.

redfalken
February 2nd, 2011, 10:29 PM
Well, she won't be traveling on Saturday so I can go. Just tell me where to be and when.

SmithKid
February 2nd, 2011, 10:37 PM
Sounds good to me. What time, and where, are we meeting? Anyone North of me (Bill?) is welcome to meet at my house for car-pooling to the rendevous point.

Jeff W
February 2nd, 2011, 11:11 PM
Roger, if you don't need this item, I could use 6 of the old style fender bolt J-Nuts (5/16-24. The pre-64 used the fine threads... I am short 5 and they are not reproduced. I could change all mine out for the new style like Patrick... but it's hard to open my wallet.

I am also looking for two of the tow brackets that mount along with the front bumper bracket to frame bolts.

have fun you guys...

doghows
February 3rd, 2011, 08:22 AM
Jeff; I have those pieces as well. I will add them to your pile. The tow brackets are already powder coated and I don't think I will use them on the delivery. Those "J" nut things I will bring to the shop tomorrow and glass bead them so they are clean for your car. I am pretty sure i have at least five of them.
Let me know what time you guys are leaving and I will have the cars in the shop and a fire going if it is cold. Looks like a total of 4 or 5??
I should have a set of torches at the house, hopefully he has enough gas in the bottles for what ever we need.
See you guys Saturday...

BillP 98201
February 3rd, 2011, 08:28 AM
Just let me know what time. Do we need to take anything? Tools ramps jackstands?

Luva65wagon
February 3rd, 2011, 09:19 AM
Great Kenny - the more the merrier.

We'll be taking the Edmonds-Kingston ferry over the water, so I'll have to look and see if there is a park and ride somewhere nearby for at least Kenny. But I could go there too and Gene and Bill can go there and get us.

Ferry departure times on Saturday are 5:35, 7:10, 7:50, 8:50, 9:40. We should try for the 7:50 at the latest, I think. Means we arrive at the ferry at about 7:15-7:30. They're usually not too crowded on weekends during the winter. It's about another 45 minutes to an hour drive once you are off the ferry.

Bring whatever tools and jacks you can. Steve, not sure what you have around there to list two cars up off the ground as they are dissected.

I'll post more later after I do some research.

doghows
February 3rd, 2011, 11:29 AM
I have one floor jack, one bottle jack. A small tractor, engine hoist, 3 sets of jack stands, (6each) air compressor, and plenty of tools. I have spring compressor, welder, should have a cutting torch available.
I have lots of hammers and penetrating oil.. I will have some sodas, water and the wife said she would help me cook some burgers and or hot dogs if we want them. Looking forward to it. Sounds like I should see you guys around 9am??? :BEER:

Jeff W
February 3rd, 2011, 12:37 PM
Jeff; I have those pieces as well. I will add them to your pile. The tow brackets are already powder coated and I don't think I will use them on the delivery. Those "J" nut things I will bring to the shop tomorrow and glass bead them so they are clean for your car. I am pretty sure i have at least five of them.

Thank you Steve!

Luva65wagon
February 3rd, 2011, 05:35 PM
I have a bunch of hardware I kept from when I had the '64 Ranchero (all fine thread). Probably have some of these already cleaned and reblackened using Eastwood black-oxide dip.

These j-nuts are for the upper fender, so you'll need the longer ones - right? Go ahead and blast some Steve, just in case I don't have any fine thread ones.

Luva65wagon
February 3rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
The closest park and ride I can see near Edmonds is on Aurora just past 185th. I've never parked in one of these, so I don't know if there are rules saying you have to park and then ride a bus - or what. And if it's free or not.

We could also all meet at my place or somewhere in Edmonds and just park on the street somewhere. Since I'll need to bring a few things back here afterward, if Gene can drive it may just be better if he can pick me up and then we can go hunt down Kenny. Maybe Kenny can meet us at the gas station on 205th and Meridian (on the way down into Edmonds from I-5 where it just about Y's toward either Costco and Home Depot on the left or towards Edmonds to the right.) Then he can park on a side-street in Edmonds and hop in the truck.

These are options - anybody else have any?

SmithKid
February 3rd, 2011, 09:45 PM
Bill, I just talked to Roger to firm up the departure time. We are going to go on the 7:50 AM ferry from Edmonds, so please be at my house no later than 6:30 AM as we need time to group up and deposit Kenny's car (motorcycle?) somewhere. We are picking up Roger for sure.

BillP 98201
February 4th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I will be there by 6:30.

redfalken
February 4th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Hey Roger. Maybe it would be easiest if I just met you at your place since I've been there before. If that's OK, when should I arrive?

Sorry, it probably says this somewhere in this thread but my brain's getting too old to process it all. :confused:

doghows
February 4th, 2011, 03:20 PM
OK, burgers are bought and have sodas chips and snacks. Hopefully the weather will hold out for us. I should have the cars in the garage and everything ready when you guys show up. If needed Roger has all my phone numbers in case you need to call. See you all in the AM... Steve...

Luva65wagon
February 4th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Kenny -

Sure, come on over.

We want to try to catch the 7:50 ferry, so try to get here a few minutes before 7AM. I'll be waiting for Gene and Bill to show and we'll all pile into Gene's truck. We can probably grab a MickyD's B/F as soon as we get off the ferry.

Luva65wagon
February 4th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Thanks Steve for doing that. We'll all help with that I'm sure. I appreciate all your help getting things inside and a bit drier.

Luva65wagon
February 5th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Quite a long day taking apart a couple cars today. Thanks to Kenny, Gene, Bill, and Steve - and my friend Bill who came -- and of course to Steve and his wife who cooked up a storm to feed us. We were all lamenting we forgot to eat some of that awesome looking cake.

Kenny took some pictures and will probably post a couple. We got a few more parts off the '61 wagon and pretty much dismantled the '62 Ranchero in-half.

I then drove the '63 Ranchero home with Kenny as my co-pilot. THAT was an adventure. Clearly got to look under that car to see where Steve stashed all the playing cards in the spokes. But got it into the carport and that's half the battle.

Thanks again you guys for putting in a 16-hour day.

EdsFunny
February 6th, 2011, 06:21 AM
hmmm. I guess I'll take that as my official rejection letter. Steve, thanks again for letting me into your private stash. A check and a free dinner pass is wending its way toward you as we speak. I believe you should build the secret back field area, as planned.

BillP 98201
February 6th, 2011, 09:11 AM
It was a fun day...... Learned lots of stuff, and got to help tear a car in half with a bunch of great guys. What else could a car guy ask for?
Thanks Steve and his wife for the hospitality, and I was wondering on my home what Steve would do with Nice chainsaw.......lol
Nice meeting Ed, Im sure Roger was exausted when he typed in last night. :BEER:

Luva65wagon
February 6th, 2011, 11:00 AM
hmmm. I guess I'll take that as my official rejection letter.

Sorry about that Ed - my brain was fried (and still is). I could barely remember back to 5PM once I sat down finally last night. By the time I made it back here driving the Ranchero for the first time with it sounding like tires were being shredded (and a host of other "odd noises" Kenny and I were wondering "OK, what is that sound" -or- "Name that tune - Auto Edition"); not finding first gear half the time; the headlights of oncoming cars in the rain seeming like 5 sets of headlights; the wipers not wiping very good; unloading all that stuff from the cars when we got to my place; and then dealing with something scratching my right eye -- I was surprised I did as good as I did. So, that's my excuse for not remembering (as I tried to replay the day). ;) You help was truly appreciated - I've just got s#!+ for brains anymore.

[AGREE]

And thanks again Steve for opening up all the bays and getting down and dirty with us - and to Larry for showing us all what a LOT of sanding can do.

OK, now I think I got everyone covered now. :D

redfalken
February 6th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Whew! That was a really long day, and hard work! My lower back is still growling at me. Photographic proof that Ed was there is below along with a few shots of the Ranchero getting chopped to pieces. Nothing like a Sawzall and a few sharp blades to help get the job done.

Thanks to Steve's wife (my apologies for not remembering her name!) for that outrageously good lunch. After the first course, I was too stuffed for dessert which is pretty rare.

EdsFunny
February 6th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Bill, I'd love to look at that Sprint you've got - I've got the plain-jane copy version, and I'm interested see what the engine compartment looks like.

That last post came out less funny than I intended.
No offense taken - I'm a bit too sensitive about my 7 day a week work schedule, I think.

doghows
February 7th, 2011, 08:32 AM
It was great meeting all of you that made it over. What a long day but fun. It is great to cut apart something that isn't yours...
I told my Wife Laurie that you all appreciated her work as well. So did I. She thought you were a great bunch of guys and told me I can hang out with you at some club events and so forth.
Roger that card in the spokes you were hearing was the drives haft rubbing on the floor. We probably had too much weight in the back for those old weak springs. Did you leave the headlights on bright??? I always did just for the reason you described.
I am glad you made it home without too much trouble other than noises and Kenny's snoring??
Again great to meet you that made it, so now I guess it is my turn to make it over that way. See you all again soon.. Steve & Laurie...

redfalken
February 7th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Hey, I just remembered I probably owe somebody something for my part of the ferry ride! That's not cheap these days so don't be shy. Let me know the damage and I'll get you some $$.

Luva65wagon
February 7th, 2011, 06:04 PM
That last post came out less funny than I intended.
No offense taken - I'm a bit too sensitive about my 7 day a week work schedule, I think.

Only 7 days a week? Gosh, that sounds great! I think I'm on about day 783. I can't even get away from work while I'm in Sequim parting out a Ranchero! :bicker:

And FWIW, I was pretty sure you were just [playing] trying to make me feel bad. But I did feel bad. A real DOH! moment.

Luva65wagon
February 7th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Roger that card in the spokes you were hearing was the drives haft rubbing on the floor. We probably had too much weight in the back for those old weak springs. Did you leave the headlights on bright??? I always did just for the reason you described.
I am glad you made it home without too much trouble other than noises and Kenny's snoring??

I've not had a chance to look under the car. Yesterday I had to drive out to Kent and pick up a "car-load" of new Falcon parts I bought from a forum member who got rid of his wagon, but not with the parts. He posted here a couple years ago, and I replied then, but I spaced that out too. I bought all of it from him and one of those things was new leaf springs, which will go under the Ranchero.

But as for the noise frequency, it was about that fast - but gee, it wasn't too bad once we got off your street onto 101 and all the way to the ferry. Once we got off the ferry, it was constant almost. Kenny may have snored, but I wouldn't have heard him.

doghows
February 8th, 2011, 08:16 AM
The only other thing I can think of is it has that humming noise when she gets up to about 65 mph. That is more of a harmonics noise??
Good to hear you got a load of "good" stuff to help put her back together I know she went to a good home or I would not have let it go. Let me know if you ever have an assembly party and I will be there. Thanks again Steve..

Luva65wagon
February 8th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Naw... this was clearing something rubbing. I've been up working since about 3:30 this morning, so since it's not raining right now I'm going to go have a look-see underneath.

Have the rest of the floor pans on order now. Oh joy.

As for the other wagon you have - does it have rain gutter stainless - or did you already get that for your delivery? I think it would be cool to have that on the Ranchero -- you just have to cut it to length! :D If not - oh well.

Luva65wagon
February 8th, 2011, 12:49 PM
65! (I missed that before).

I don't think I ever got it above 50! It was white knuckling the whole way at that. :p

doghows
February 8th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Don't be scared, that car runs like a dream compared to the gray one.
I did take the drip rail stainless off that wagon. What ever set I don't use you are welcome to it. Both were in good shape so should be plenty to cover the chero.
Remember with these old cars you have to heard them down the road not drive them???:3g:

Luva65wagon
February 8th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I found out what was rubbing and where, but not yet sure why. Seems the driveline (just about directly under the seat) is hitting on the a part of the tunnel. It's really close. What I think might be happening in the back-end of the tranny needs to be shifted over. Not sure how yet, but I will. It's almost hard-up against one side and has 3+ inches on the other.

The new leaf springs are 2.5" and the ones on the Ranchero are 2" - so that's going to give it a lot of boost. I didn't realized (I didn't remember if you told me) that is had air-shocks. Probably should have added some air to these before we drove away.

I was out clearing the bed of parts and putting things away - and poking at holes in the floor. It's going to be fun. As soon as I have all the parts here to go crazy on it -- I'm going to go crazy on it. I have a "plan." [thumb]

As for the stainless, I'll use whatever you reject. I don't really care how good it is.

I do realize now that I didn't get a few things when we left. Still wanted to get the wiring under the dash of the gray car and I left the '62 grille and headlight rings there somewhere. I'll probably be taking another run out there sooner rather than later after all. If I do, I may cut off the quarter panels from the Ranchero.

doghows
February 9th, 2011, 08:07 AM
No problem, the grill and rings are in the garage, and the rest of the car is still in the spare car bin. Just let me know when you might come so I can be sure and be home. This weekend is more sanding?!?!
Did I mention how much I am enjoying body work???
Oh yeah the air shocks; I mentioned those to you and said the air line has a leak so they don't hold air very long anyway. Might just need a small piece of hose??

redfalken
February 9th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Can this thread get any longer!!! Hey Roger, looks like you better add the Ranchero to your sig if it will allow another line.

`63 Ranchero (They call it Mellow Yellow...quite rightly!) :D

Luva65wagon
February 10th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Yeah - I should probably do that. But Mellow Yellow was used before, wasn't it? If I add another car to my list, I may overload the entire system by increasing all my posts by one line! :D