PDA

View Full Version : Eight inch rear axle

doghows
February 11th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Stupid question here; Did Ford ever make an eight inch rear axle with only 4 wheel studs?? I thought they were all 5 lug patterns?? Just curious because a guy has one for sale and it doesn't sound right to me. Anybody know??
Thanks Steve

doghows
February 11th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Sorry guys, just did a search and found the answer.

pbrown
February 11th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Buy it. They exist but are hard to find. Kenny has one.

BTW - I have an 8" center section with 3.0 gears that will be available soon.

redfalken
February 11th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Yeah...I got lucky and stumbled across one in a 1970 Maverick at the Pull-A-Part in Lynnwood for really cheap ($40??). Here's the details from my web site:

http://www.redfalken.com/pages/rearend.html

doghows
February 11th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Cool thanks guys. I think I just traded the guy my 1960 front fenders for it?? I'll get it home and clean it up and powder coat it and probably sell it??
Roger?? Need an 8 inch 4 lug for that Ranchero?????

falcon cobra
February 11th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Kenny is your c-4 a 5 bolt or a 6 ??. and will a v8 bellhousing fit a early 5 bolt 6cyl:rocker:... I have a 5 bolt that needs a new home... and if patrick reads this how much for the 8" you have...mine is starting to scream...G I wonder Y...thanks john h

pbrown
February 12th, 2011, 10:55 AM
and if patrick reads this how much for the 8" you have...mine is starting to scream...G I wonder Y...thanks john h

$100 and it's yours John.

falcon cobra
February 12th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I asume it's open and not a posi ..sold, and I'am not in a rush, what are you going to do ? 9" comes to mind. just let me know. thanks jh

pbrown
February 12th, 2011, 01:55 PM
It is an open 3:1 is good shape. There is a small leak at the pinion seal. It wasn't critical enough for be to do anything about.

I have a newly rebuilt 3.4:1 8" Trac-Lock. I might pull the rear end tomorrow.

redfalken
February 12th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Kenny is your c-4 a 5 bolt or a 6 ??. and will a v8 bellhousing fit a early 5 bolt 6cyl:rocker:... I have a 5 bolt that needs a new home... and if patrick reads this how much for the 8" you have...mine is starting to scream...G I wonder Y...thanks john h

Hmmmm...I guess I'm not really sure. Does that refer to the bolts that attach the bellhousing to the case? I don't recall and the bellhousing that came with the tranny fit my block so I never really did any research on the different versions.

Here some pics if you can tell from them:

http://www.redfalken.com/pages/c4.html

pbrown
February 12th, 2011, 05:39 PM
The five bolt V8 C4 bellhousing is rare and would probably be worth quite a bit on eBay. They were only available for one year, maybe two, if I recall.