PDA

View Full Version : Monroe Swap Meet - May 13, 14, 15

Luva65wagon
March 23rd, 2011, 10:39 PM
This thread it for keeping in touch regarding the Monroe Swap Meet. If anyone is planning to attend this in participation with the club, or are planning to deliver parts there or to my house the week before the meet, you can post your intentions or questions here.

Brief details are:

• Friday is setup day. I will use the "club hauler" to transport as much as it will hold. A volunteer or two is appreciated to help on this Friday. I'll be taking the day off, so others of you who are retired or can also take a day off work, please let me know.

• Driving onto the fair grounds requires a pass, which we have one of. If you can't deliver your items to me before, you will be able to contact me to meet you on the road on Friday or early Saturday to drive in.

• Items sold should be marked with a price, if possible, and initialed with your initials -- so money can be apportioned correctly. The club will withhold a small percentage (to be determined) to offset expenses and to add funds to the treasury for our future Regional attempt.

• Being a club event means we need members to manage the booth both days. Please indicate what day you can attend and for how long.

Thanks!

redfalken
March 23rd, 2011, 11:00 PM
I'll probably be carpooling with Jeff and we usually do a Saturday trip. I don't have anything big to sell but I'll bring a box or two.

And I'll make 5 or 6 of the hubcap clocks like the one from the raffle we had tonight. All the proceeds will go to the club. Just need to decide on a price.

Jeff W
March 23rd, 2011, 11:28 PM
I will work all day Saturday (with a break to walk and buy).

Nice Clock... we need to hang them somehow.

Jeff

doghows
March 24th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Roger, do you think any of the left over parts I have would do any good at the meet? If so I would be willing to donate them to the club to sell. The club could keep any moneys made from them. Just not sure if any of it is worth hauling. I would get them to you some how. Steve

Luva65wagon
March 24th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Steve,

I'm not 100% sure what spare parts you have. I don't think anyone would want what's left of the wagon at this point. :D

What do you have left over?

doghows
March 25th, 2011, 08:20 AM
I saved all the trim from the inside of the wagon?? Couple of old single barrel carbs. Two 7" rear axles. assorted transmissions. Not sure if any of it is worth hauling and or selling off, but thought I would ask.
Also I have about 8-10 wheels that are all 4 lug, just the stock steel type. Otherwise it is off to become BMW parts (haha)..:ROTFLMAO:

Luva65wagon
March 25th, 2011, 09:05 AM
And you have all those 61 wagon fenders and hood, etc. Those would be worth bringing out. The tranny's for sure. These always go. Wheels, maybe. You just never know.

Sound to me like you need to close the shop for 3 days and come out to the east side and join the party! :BIRTHDAY:

doghows
March 25th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I have been thinking about it. I will inventory stuff tonight and get a list to you. Then see what I can do about getting over or just bringing it and helping out. Thanks

melo-yelo
April 12th, 2011, 07:43 PM
If you still need help with the booth, let me know. I plan on coming up and searching for some parts so I could put some time in at the booth to help out. Either day is fine with me.
Darren

doghows
April 13th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Was going through parts last night. How much stuff would you guys like me to bring?? I have both fenders and a hood from a 61, 2 stock rear axles, 4 assorted transmissions, and a bunch of small stuff. I don't care if I see a dime from any of this stuff. I would rather it go to the clubs account. The club helps with so much stuff I think it would be a good way to give back.
Let me know and I will load it up and bring it to Roger Saturday morning before tech day. Thanks Steve...

Luva65wagon
April 13th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I had to give away the rear axle I brought last year - those are hard to give away even (though I just did a couple weeks ago). The fenders and hood - and even some of the fenders you didn't think were worth keeping - maybe. Tranny's are always good to bring. Bring it on!

Jeff W
May 6th, 2011, 10:45 PM
How is the planning going. Kenny and I (maybe Pat as well) will be there early Saturday morning... What time do you need us to help set up?

Anyone volunteered to help out on Sunday? If not we can break it down Saturday. I can't help Sunday.

I have a few items and will also bring Brian's boxes on Saturday.

Don't forget the Falcon Club display cards.

Will gene lend the sun tarp again? Tables?

SmithKid
May 7th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I will lend the awning thing again. I also have a folding 3'x6' folding table if needed. I just confirmed with my social director: I can come to the swap meet on Sunday 15th and stay to help teardown and load up leftovers. What time is that Roger?

Luva65wagon
May 7th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I don't know if anyone is coming to help me on Friday. I seem to remember someone saying they would - but I'm drawing a blank (wonder why?). I am taking Thursday and Friday off so I am not stressing over this and can maybe dig out some stuff I wouldn't normally bring.

So I'm going there on Friday - leaving my place around 1 or 2PM and will off-load it in our spot. If I'm alone, I will do the best I can to organize it. If someone shows up, then more can happen.

Saturday, I'll be there all day, but I will want to have a look around some when you guys show up, and then we can trade off.

Sunday, the place starts to tear down around about 2 PM.

Gene - yes, we'd like to borrow your Seahawks tent again and any table you have. I have a 6' long table. And plenty of tarps.

So that's the scoop thus far. I'll post more later.

SmithKid
May 8th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I may be able to help on Friday. Won't know for sure until later in the week. Going fishing early in the week, and should be back. Saturday is prob'ly out for me. I can bring a few tarps, too. I also have a coupla saw horses, but nothing for a top.

redfalken
May 8th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I've got a 4' x ~3' table which is a sheet of plywood clamped to a WorkMate. I'll bring that along to fill a small spot. And I think Jeff and I are bringing a flatbed cart to haul things and we can use that too.

And the Falcon clocks are all done. I made a plank to hang them on and a sign. All proceeds go to the club. Plus I'm digging up some pretty good stuff to add to the pile. Some Falcon, some motorcycle, and I'll probably purge some CDs to attract the non-auto enthusiasts!

Jeff W
May 8th, 2011, 08:08 PM
and I'll probably purge some CDs to attract the non-auto enthusiasts!

okay... but no doilies or skeins of yarn.:rocker:

doghows
May 9th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Let me see what my work load looks like and maybe I can get a day off. If so I have 3 fold up tables and 2 pop up's to use. I will discuss it with my "social director" and see what can be done.

JLP1977
May 9th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I'll be swinging by with some stuff to sell in the morning! Both auto and non-auto goodies!

Joanna

melo-yelo
May 9th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I don't know if anyone is coming to help me on Friday. I seem to remember someone saying they would - but I'm drawing a blank (wonder why?). I am taking Thursday and Friday off so I am not stressing over this and can maybe dig out some stuff I wouldn't normally bring.

So I'm going there on Friday - leaving my place around 1 or 2PM and will off-load it in our spot. If I'm alone, I will do the best I can to organize it. If someone shows up, then more can happen.

Roger,
I said I would be able to help you on Friday, but I would need to be heading back home about the time you are going to be heading there, I have commitments on Friday afternoons starting at 3:30pm. Can you make it earlier say 10am? I have two 6' tables I can bring up Friday.
Darren

Luva65wagon
May 9th, 2011, 01:46 PM
okay... but no doilies or skeins of yarn.:rocker:

Really? I was going to finally off-load my doilies!

I should off-load some CocaCola stuff, that is for sure. And that stuff goes at these swaps quite well.

Luva65wagon
May 9th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Darren,

You can come to my place earlier and help load up the truck - and bring your stuff by. Tables are a great help to have! Then whoever else is around can help off-load and do a mini-setup in preparations for Saturday.

For those coming by to drop off stuff for me to haul, my address is:
126 143rd St. SE Lynnwood 98087

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=126+143rd+St+SE,+Lynnwood+WA&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=55.849851,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=126+143rd+St+SE,+Lynnwood,+Washington+98087&z=16&iwloc=A

melo-yelo
May 9th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Roger,
That's what I'll do. I'll be there about 9:30am bring you the 2 tables to use and help load your truck. I'll hopefully be able to come up Sunday and walk the swapmeet, help with the booth and with loading up any thing that don't sell.

Darren

Luva65wagon
May 9th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Darren - that would be awesome! Thanks!

Rustorod
May 10th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Roger,
I should be able to help on Friday. I was going to work til 10:00 that day but if need be I might be able to take the day off. Would 11:00 be too late for me to be there? Let me know and I will see what I can do.
Bill

Luva65wagon
May 11th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Bill - do you plan to go out to Monroe too? Darren will be here until he has to leave, Gene is going to swing by around noon to go out with me. If you want to go out, we can pack three of us in the truck or one of us can drive out in a car too. Parking on Friday is free.

Jeff W
May 12th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Kenny, Jeff and Pat will be arriving right @ 8:00 when the gates open to help fine-tune any set-up and man the booth with Roger.

Anyone else that shows up will be great releif and allow the others to walk and buy.

I will be bringing in some boxes from Brian as well as other items to sell... all on a little Willy Wagon.

Oh - Roger - did we get that same booth location as in past years?

melo-yelo
May 12th, 2011, 03:46 PM
What's the plan for Sunday? What time do you plan to close down?

Luva65wagon
May 12th, 2011, 09:13 PM
The show slows up at about 1PM and closes at 2PM. Things start getting real cheap, if they do, on Sunday about noon.

I have cleaned up the truck, loaded up a bunch of bins of stuff, and will play musical trucks in the morning to start loading in things. I plan to leave my place around 1PM - no later.

melo-yelo
May 12th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Roger,
My birthday is Monday and I found out that my wife is having some people over on Sunday for dinner to celebrate. I'm coming up as early as I can Sunday. If it gets to late and I leave before all the left overs are loaded on to your truck, do you have a place you can put my tables at least some what out of the rain until I get a chance to come up after them?

Luva65wagon
May 12th, 2011, 10:45 PM
I'm sure we can arrange that for you Darren.

Jeff W
May 12th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Roger, should I bring my giant tarp?

redfalken
May 13th, 2011, 09:27 AM
...Will gene lend the sun tarp again? Tables?

Better make that rain tarp! And bring your umbrellas. I'm seeing 70% chance of rain for that area. Ughhhhh... :bicker:

Luva65wagon
May 13th, 2011, 08:55 PM
It would be nice to be able to cover up the tables - but we have a long pair of rows set up. We'll see how it goes.

I must have the club card holder in my wagon, which I won't be able to get to by the morning. Also, I think I was at the end of my supply of cards, so if anyone has any club cards at least, bring them with you.

I'm going to try to be there around 7 AM since the show starts at 8AM... so if you guy can push the throttle a little to get there a little early rather than a little late -- that will help. Jay Baker brought by some stuff again today and will be dropping off more in the morning too.

Jeff W
May 13th, 2011, 10:51 PM
We will be leaving Seattle @ 6:30 hopefully see you before 8:00 - we may have to call you to get through the gates early...

melo-yelo
May 14th, 2011, 09:14 PM
How is the swap meet? Selling everything I hope. Plans have changed due to the weather and I'm not going to make it up tomorrow, my birthday with friends and family at my house has changed to Sunday brunch out. Roger, I'll come up and get my tables out of your way as soon as possible.

Darren

Jeff W
May 14th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Here are a few pictures from the day. It was fun but I am a tired boy.
Made lots of contacts, passed out tons of cards and sold some junk... I mean good stuff.

Since I brought home LESS than I took up, I personally consider it a successful day.

Thanks to Roger, Jay, Pat and Kenny for co-managing the booth. Joanna and her "special" friend Randy stopped by for a spell and to drop off some calendars and other items, Bill W dropped off a new bumper for us to baby-sit while he continued shopping. John H even stopped by to say howdy.

We were very lucky with the weather as is it didn't start raining until 4:55 PM, just as we were covering the tables for the night.

Luva65wagon
May 15th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Here are a few pictures from the day. It was not fun and I am a tried and tired boy. Made no contacts, passed out no cards and sold nothing... even the good stuff.

Since I brought home MORE with me than I took up, I personally consider it a wasted day (save the time spent with Gene and Jay). Thanks to them for helping wring out the booth and soggy boxes - get it all into the truck - and then off-load it all again at my place.

Sadly, nobody else stopped by for anything except a lady who was a member of a Buick club, whom, because of her lovely smile as she reminisced about a Falcon she once loved so dearly, was rewarded with the last remaining Buick gaskets. Powell from the Canadian half of the world dropped by again looking for a 64 grill, but they must have sold yesterday. My friend Bill drove all the way from Sequim to find the place abandoned, After talking to one lone vendor (an aging gentleman with two rusted through Dart doors, a fender, and and old generator, which I bought from him to make his day) and buying a few tools from the tool vendor who was just too large to pack up in time for those who came to find the place abandoned - we then drove off into the rain.

We were very lucky with the weather we had yesterday because today there was no such luck. Today, as you can see from the pictures, was a wash (pun intended) - and we packed up after an hour of looking like fools in the rain.

:p (tongue firmly in cheek)

Luva65wagon
May 16th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Darren -

Your tables are in my carport and you can come by any time to grab them. If I am here, I'll help you heave them into your truck. They probably soaked up another 5 gallons of water a piece on Sunday. :WHATTHE:

If I'm not here, feel free to grab them anyway. I have my doors leaning up against them, so just move them over and put them where your tables were when you are done.

Thanks for letting us use them. One thing is for sure - the wind could not have blown them away.
[AGREE]

BPVan
May 17th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks to everyone who helped out this past weekend. Sorry that I could not make it myself, I hope that some of my *cough* stuff pulled some cash in for the club. Not sure what ended up where but I will be at the meeting tomorrow to reclaim my leftovers.

Luva65wagon
May 17th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Brian,

I have all the leftovers and they are heading to the meeting with me. I wasn't fully aware of everything you brought, but I do see a valve cover, air cleaner, GS750 parts... all taking up space in my car. If that's all you brought, then they are still around. :(

Jay Baker
May 19th, 2011, 01:31 PM
ROGER,
At the 5/18 meeting I meant to commend you and extend my own gratitude to you for arranging the booth at the Monroe Swap Meet. I think it was very valuable for all us Falcon people, certainly for us sellers and possible future Falcon club recruits who happened to pass by.

In future, though it's difficult to predict what customers might be looking to purchase, I wonder if it would be possible to limit the amount of clearly "junk" status parts, and to request sellers to provide their own transportation & table(s) for their items - ? And, need I say, clean parts will outsell dirty ones, and at the same time add status to the booth. Lastly, as a means to promote Falcons, as well as insuring Falcon visitors to the meet don't miss us, I suggest an eye-level banner near the entrance to the booth, maybe "Falcons Forever."

Thanks again for your time & efforts, JAY B

Luva65wagon
May 19th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks Jay.

I think we all pretty much shared your feelings about this last night. We'll try and plan a little better and earlier next year and maybe even try to get a covered spot or just do Saturday. We'll talk more next spring about it.

It is important to note that users can now post their needs for parts or parts they do have on this site and we can get rid of our junkier junk that way too. :BEER:

falcon cobra
May 19th, 2011, 04:03 PM
there is one in the fall also.at monroe....jh

redfalken
May 19th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I like the idea of having the booth be more for recruiting members and have mostly high end parts...and a lot less of them.

If the people who run it allow, I think we should bring a club member's car into the space to attract attention. Especially a car that's pretty factory stock so people can see what they were like off the assembly line. Chuck's convertible that was at the meeting last night for example. I think it only had 50K miles and was pretty bone stock.

doghows
May 26th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Here is an idea. How about we gather up all the "good" parts, bring them over here and I will sand blast and /or powder coat them. That will bring a lot more cash than dirty nasty stuff??? I will be glad to donate the time and equipment might need a little reimbursement for powder, but it is pretty cheap. Just a thought...:confused::confused:

BadBird
May 26th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I could come help if you want. I can sand blast and I also have quite a bit of powder that we can use. Larry

melo-yelo
May 26th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Doghows,
Can aluminum be powder coated?

doghows
May 27th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Yes, I can powder anything metal that can take a 500 degree oven..

Luva65wagon
May 27th, 2011, 10:30 AM
As for spending too much on "cleaning and prepping" swap items - you are already almost "giving" stuff away most of the time. You don't want to spend more than the part is worth to just give it away. I agree, making sure the stuff is presentable, has always been preferred, but this takes more time than many of us have... except for our own stuff.

I think we need to treat the swap meet as a "put ourselves out there" event - to make people aware of our existence. We can then bring some of the nicer packaged items and fast-moving items, if there are any. We can then inventory the rest of it and hand out sheets to those looking for the smaller items. If we start a few weeks earlier and all get involved in this, it will be a great experience for everyone.

BillP 98201
May 27th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Wow! We would look organised and official :BEER: