PDA

View Full Version : Tech Day April 16th, 2011

Luva65wagon
March 27th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Hey all,

Just a quick note to let all who can come to please converge on Gene's car on April 16th. He's been given the green light from his boss and he's looking forward to getting some help.

This tech day was planned at the last meeting without Gene's knowledge and this is a day to be devoted to just his car. He's gracefully supplied us his driveway on a couple occasions and we'd like to show our appreciation by giving his car a good day's presents or presence - how ever you want to look at it. [thumb]

Gene can please do the honors of posting the address and directions and time we can show up. He also will have his parts and to-do's all situated to get as much done as possible.

Come one come all.

SmithKid
March 28th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Roger & All,

I very much appreciatte your willingness to come work on my car with me. Vel, too (my Wife). As a matter of fact, she says she will provide lunch for all of us (maybe subs, she's not sure yet), and I will provide donuts for our breaks, and also cold soft drinks. There'll also be coffee available.

Sort of a list of what's left to be done:
Put dash back together: install guages, controls and trim.
Put doors back together: door panels, etc.
Modify gas filler to inside of bed and PERMANENTLY mount original cap.
Install external brightwork clips and trim.
Reinstall seat and belts.

As for address and driving instructions:
7923 W. Glen Dr.
Everett, WA

Take exit 526 from I-5, then 1st exit to Evergreen Way.
N on Evergreen Way for 1 block.
W on 79th for 1 block until it curves N onto Beverly.
During the curve to Beverly,use L turn lane to Barbara Ln.
Barbara is 1 block long and ends on E Glen Drive.
Follow either direction to W. Glen Drive.
My home is on E side of W. Glen Drive.

I'm REALLY looking forward to having you all here again. I should be driving my car again soon!

doghows
March 28th, 2011, 12:13 PM
The 16th???? Maybe I should come over for this one? Let me see if I can do it. Maybe bring parts for the swap meet too??

SmithKid
March 28th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Love to have you here, Steve. But..... PLEASE don't bring your sawzall!!:eek: I've seen what you do to Rancheros!

redfalken
March 28th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I'll swing by for part of the day. I'm on vacation for a week after that so I need to get some chores done around the house too.

But always glad to help out. Gotta get that beast to a few shows this year!!

pbrown
March 28th, 2011, 09:50 PM
So what are we planning to do? Interior? Engine?

BillP 98201
March 29th, 2011, 06:44 AM
LOL Gene. Steve and Roger playing dueling sawzalls was quite the memory. I have to work, but will try and stop by.

doghows
March 29th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Well if I can make it over I promise no sawzall. Besides it is easier to carry my grinder and cut off wheels!?![thumb]

Luva65wagon
March 29th, 2011, 09:58 AM
So what are we planning to do? Interior? Engine?

Gene put a list together up-top there of some of the things he's needing done. But a day of anything I'm sure will be a big help.

doghows
March 30th, 2011, 11:36 AM
If I can make it over do you want me to bring all my j*#k I mean parts for the swap meet??:confused:

Luva65wagon
March 30th, 2011, 01:49 PM
As long as you're willing to either first drive it all over to my place to put with all my junk - er, I mean "parts" I'll be taking to the swap. Or do so after the day is done. Either way ,you could drive over the C4 too, while you're at it.

Also - I was looking in the pile of stuff that came over from the gray Ranchero looking for the steering column, but it didn't seem to make it over here. Have you seen it over there anywhere? The turn-signal switch in this banana one is a little mangled. I may have to upgrade it to something more current anyway, but would like to know what the other one was like. If it's there - throw it on the pile o'junk coming over.

doghows
March 30th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I will look for it tonight. I think I remember seeing it in the pile?? I will get some stuff together this weekend and see how much junk oops stuff I have and go from there.

doghows
March 31st, 2011, 11:35 AM
Roger how early will you be heading to Gene's place?? If I come over I would rather dump stuff before the tech day vs. after. Also Steering column is there so I will bring it if I can make it. I think I can so I just need to round stuff up.
I have a bunch of new sawzall blades and cutoff wheels ready.!.:ROTFLMAO:

Luva65wagon
March 31st, 2011, 04:43 PM
I guess I'll be heading over there right after we unload your truck... or will that be "trailer." :NERVOUS:

And the more I look for stuff I know we took off that Ranchero - I can't find the steering wheel (it had the later model 65 wheel IIRC) and I'm pretty sure that had the belly bar too. Pretty soon I got to start thinking about putting stuff ... back in ... and so I'm deciding which parts to use and which to take to the meet. And I keep scratching my head wonder what direction stuff went that night. I think we were all a bit delirious. :confused:

doghows
March 31st, 2011, 05:02 PM
I have the steering wheel and the belly bar, they were put out by the remnants of the car. I will put them in the Roger pile...

Rustorod
April 1st, 2011, 11:39 AM
I'm always game for a tech day. Probably can only stay til noon tho as I am planning to re-install a cylinder head on my beater commuter car (89 Mazda 626 known affectionately as The Bomber)on that day. I know ...boooo! Not even close to a Falcon and Japanese to boot. Anyways, looking forward to it. Bill

Luva65wagon
April 14th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Hey Gene, What time is the garage open on Saturday? 9AM sound OK?

SmithKid
April 15th, 2011, 08:40 AM
The garage will be open by 9:00AM (prob'ly a bit earlier just in case)!

My 'social director' tells me that the lunch (one o'clock-ish) is going to be KFC and potato salad. There'll be an assortment of soft drinks and water.

Gene :D

Luva65wagon
April 15th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Humm... KFC is finger lickin' good! Hope our fingers a lickin' fingers and not too greasy fingers. [thumb]

Steve and I will be there as soon as we off-load the parts he's bringing over for the swap meet (and for the 'Chero).

pbrown
April 15th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Sort of a list of what's left to be done:
Put dash back together: install guages, controls and trim.
Put doors back together: door panels, etc.
Modify gas filler to inside of bed and PERMANENTLY mount original cap.
Install external brightwork clips and trim.
Reinstall seat and belts.

That is a pretty boring list. We need to add more stuff.

How about:
Pull the old 289
Notch the shock towers
Install 427SOHC motor
Install TKO600 5 speed race tranny
Install front and rear anti-sway bars
Mini tub the rear wheel wells
Mount super wide drag radials

Luva65wagon
April 16th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Unfortunately we didn't get to Patrick's list today (maybe next time), but we did manage to get quite a bit done to Gene's Ranchero. Not as much as I was hoping for, but Gene was pretty happy and that's what counts. Of course, in my head, I keep seeing us as Overhaulin' and we're more like Underhaulin'. We did good though.

One thing we struggled with are the clips they provided for the side trim on this Ranchero. I looked at all the catalog pictures and they sure seem like the right one's Gene, but hopefully you can get some information by calling around.

Anyway - just want to say thanks to all you guys for coming out and helping today move one of our cars a little further towards done.
[thumb]

SmithKid
April 16th, 2011, 10:26 PM
THANKS to all that attended the Tech Day at my home today. A lot was accomplished to ready my car for road use, and every bit of the help was VERY appreciated.[thumb]

SmithKid
April 17th, 2011, 09:27 PM
While cleaning up from the Tech Day yesterday, I found a flex-head ratchet that I don't recognize. Is it yours?

doghows
April 18th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Had a great time at tech day. It was good to put some faces and names together. Thanks Gene and you wife for feeding us. You have inspired me to shave my door handles as well. So Roger get ready to show me your micro switch trick. See you guys at the next one.:BEER:

Luva65wagon
April 18th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I'm not sure I remember what I did - didn't you see how surprised I was when we realized there were electric switches on them? I seem to recall it involved microswitches.

That is the reason I take so many pictures (which I didn't do when I did these) because I do so much on auto-pilot I often forget all the stuff I do.

I remember about 20 years ago when a co-worker mentioned "the time" (a couple years earlier) we pulled the engine out of his 69 Impala and replaced all the freeze plugs on it (trust me, it was far easier to do it this way). I looked at him like he was from outer space. :confused: It all slowly came back to me that I did it - but nothing of the actual doing it. I'm not sure whether I should be impressed with myself - or scared.
:NERVOUS:

pbrown
April 18th, 2011, 06:56 PM
The micro switch was the easy part. Getting wire in the door was a PITA. I'll see if I can find the part number for the stainless wire looms again. It would be good to drill the holes before paint.

SmithKid
April 18th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I found the receipt for the wire stainless looms. The odd thing is, there's no masthead on the shipping paperwork, and for the life of me, I can't remember who they were ordered from. All it says on the paperwork is that they were shipped UPS Ground from Portland, OR. I find the same thing from Summit as Part # DLOOMBLS, but not sure if that's where mine came from. :confused:

doghows
April 19th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I found the looms. A company called "electric-life.com" has them. Look exactly like the one you used. They also have a shaved door handle kit similar to yours cost was around $200. Now I have more body work to do to patch the door handle holes and the tailgate. Oh well better now than after paint.. Thanks for the help and I will let you know when it is time to wire it up!!!

doghows
April 20th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Gene, did anyone take any pics while we were at your place??
Also what kind of kit was your?? I think it was from autolok if I remember correctly. Hope to see yours on the road again real soon. Maybe you can drive it over to my place for the next tech day???

SmithKid
April 20th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Steve, as far as I know, no pics were taken last Sat. I didn't even think about it. :doh: If anyone did, I'd very much like to get copies.

My kit was/is from slickcar.com...... "High Powered 7 Channel Shaved Door Kit (40 lb.) with 2 Door Poppers (SHAVED -2DP3). It cost me $149.49 incl. shipping after a $10 coupon code. Of course the stainless looms were extra and I added some solenoids to handle the high current. Patrick gave me the recommendations (I can provide info on those if you want) and did the wiring on it during a "Tech Day" in the past. It works GREAT!

doghows
April 21st, 2011, 07:42 AM
Thanks Gene; I will check them out today. Will be shaving the doors and tailgate this weekend. I am excited about it.
I saw on the web site they have the kit with or without the poppers. Do you think you will ever use the ones you got? I might get the kit without? Its $30 cheaper?
Found the looms, and ordered them and the door kit. Now I just need to wait. I think it will be worth it in the long run...

BPVan
April 21st, 2011, 04:01 PM
I only got a chance to take a couple of shots when I wasn't under the car.

Jeff W
April 21st, 2011, 05:00 PM
That huge soldering tool looks like it should be used for castrating bulls. Were you using it to lead in the body seams?

BPVan
April 21st, 2011, 05:06 PM
It miraculously saved that mess of a wiring harness in the back of the car without tripping a breaker