PDA

View Full Version : Barn Find

doghows
May 16th, 2011, 08:27 AM
OK Roger has officially rubbed off on me?? Ehr effected my thinking I should say.
I found another Ranchero and I couldn't let it sit in the barn for another 22 years. Last registered in 1989. I pulled her out, cleaned her up and fired it up on Sunday morning with a little help from Patrick. (thanks again)
She actually runs very well for sitting for so long. I need to fix the brakes and flush the fuel system as I just ran the car out of a gas can. But 90% of everything works.
So the story is a guys son had the car in high school fixed it up in mechanics class, did all the body work. When he graduated from school he got a job in colorado and left the car here. His younger brother drove it for a bit and then rear ended some one. Brother got pissed and said park it, and the rest is history.
So now I have it and will through a few parts at it and drive the snot out of it. So Roger I am ready to buy, beg, borrow, or trade for some of the leftover swap meet goodies. I'll send you a PM.
Enjoy the pics... Steve

doghows
May 16th, 2011, 08:28 AM
More pics. Cleaned up a bit...

Luva65wagon
May 16th, 2011, 11:12 AM
And I though I was crazy. :banana:

Actually, it is very solid looking. Score, I say.

I PM'd you, but I may not have much that good, but will keep looking.

doghows
May 23rd, 2011, 08:25 AM
So I worked on the Ranchero the last couple weekends and she is running and driving well. Need to replace the tires and put on some stuff so Johhny Law doesn't get after me.
Will try to make a trip to Rogers soon for some supplies.?. I hope to have her legal and safe by the 5th. I will bring the barn find to the show. (I Hope).:rolleyes:
My friend has a 65 Galaxy 500 and he wants to go with me as well, hope that is OK. So if anyone has any 62 front end parts or a tail light lens, don't through them out I will use them.[thumb]

Luva65wagon
May 23rd, 2011, 09:16 AM
Steve,

You cruise out and we'll make a concerted effort to go though what I have and I'll decide on what to keep and you can take the rest and put on yours. Beside the wheels and tires, which you are welcome to, I'm putting on back-up style rear lenses in my Ranchero, so I still have the taillight lenses from the 63, which are in really decent shape. They are 3-hole and will work - unless you really want the 62 style.

I just finished up the body mods on my Ranchero this weekend (both passenger and driver side wheel-wells, and everything that was rotted outside and underneath, is all replaced now), so you can come have a look at that too, if you want. Just starting on the bed re-mod/repair tonight. So come on over and you can grab the wheels and left-overs from the swap meet for storage on your acreage instead of my square-footerage. You can come any day you want and if you give me a days notice I can work from home if you want to make it a week-day trip.

doghows
May 23rd, 2011, 03:57 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me. Thanks for the help getting the turd back on the road. I will see what my days are like. Most likely will have to be a weekend. Maybe I will shoot over early Saturday and see what is up.. I want to try and get this going good enough to bring it to the car show on the 5th. I will need to park it in the Rat rod section though???:3g::ROTFLMAO:
Thanks again...[thumb]

doghows
June 1st, 2011, 08:11 AM
Ok here is the latest on the Barn Find... The PO has swapped out the motor for a 200 6 cyl. and the C-4 combo. I was glad to see that. Motor runs very strong and transmission seems to be working good, except the vacuum line from the modulator to the intake is missing. fixing that today. Getting the registration done today as well. If all goes good the rest of the week I will drive it over for the show on Sunday. Maybe I can park next to a finished one and people can see the before and the after??:ROTFLMAO:
I will get a few more pics up and hope to see you guys on Sunday.:BEER:

Luva65wagon
June 1st, 2011, 09:54 PM
We'll find a place for it up in the Chevy section. Something's got to help them look good.:D

doghows
June 2nd, 2011, 08:13 AM
That would be awesome, however looks like the DMV is throwing a wrench in my plan. They said that they would have to generate a new title for my car since it hasn't been registered in so long?? (1989) They said it would take a few days. Best case would be Friday but probably Monday before she is legal.
Sooo I will just have to drive over the pickup truck and haul my junk away from Rogers place and either follow over in the truck ot hitch a ride?? Either way I am going so if any one needs anything from this side let me know and I will bring it.
See everyone on Sunday!!:BEER:

Luva65wagon
June 2nd, 2011, 10:42 AM
They didn't sign the original title over to you? That's weird. If it was an issue of lost title, that is one thing, but a car sitting for a while should have nothing to do with titling it? Oh well. Take picture of it though. Show us what we are missing!

doghows
June 2nd, 2011, 11:38 AM
I have a signed original title for it but they said since it sat for so long that it was no longer in the "system". Thus they have to generate a new "record" for it in their "system". So maybe tomorrow I can register it but still not sure about that long of a drive for the first trip???
Oh well I'll bring some pics and deal with that.... Thanks Steve...

falcon cobra
June 2nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
steve sorry to say, I have been through this before, when it's out of the system it takes at least 2 weeks or more for the pinheads in oly. to feed the info back into the " system " the next thing, :NERVOUS:soon they will charge you for that task....john h

doghows
June 3rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
Well good news, the DMV has my paper work ready and I picked up my new registration and stuff. Was in and out in 15 minutes. Gotta love small towns. Unfortunately I wanted to put a few miles on the barn find before driving to Seattle sooo I will just drive my pick up over to Rogers and tag along with him. See you all on Sunday!!:rocker:

Jeff W
June 3rd, 2011, 08:23 PM
I guess that is the safe bet... we must be getting old. 20 years ago we would have washed the windshield, poured some gas in the tank and headed to Florida for Spring Break.

Luva65wagon
June 3rd, 2011, 11:06 PM
My Ranchero was "good to go" if I wanted to drive it to New York... :eek:

:ROTFLMAO:

I think you're doing the right thing by giving it a few days of test-drives. Just what you'd need is some thing dislodging in the carb or worse... just as you drove onto the ferry. Besides, now you have a better chance to make that Krispy Kreme run. [thumb]

doghows
June 4th, 2011, 08:48 AM
That is for sure. Better safe than sorry. Older is wiser and I always thought my parents were full of Sh*t. Guess there was some logic behind all that. Any how I will see you all tomorrow.:BEER:

melo-yelo
June 4th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Since I don't have a Falcon at this time I will be in a 1947 Ford coupe, arriving at about 9:30. See you all there.

Darren

BadBird
June 4th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I am getting closer and closer to getting to go along with you all to these events. Still have a leak at the transmission and need to get the front end aligned. Several small little details but hopefully??????????? Have a great time and take some pics for us. Larry

doghows
June 7th, 2011, 09:00 AM
OK here is the latest on the Barn Find... Driving it back and forth to work ( about 15 miles each way.) No major issues, couple of small leaks around the trany but no oil leaks. Drives well for being parked for 22 years.
Put REALLY cheap carpet in to get rid of the "barn Smell" and she is ready to go. I think I will take her to the Rakers club show in Port Townsend on the 18th. Anybody else want to go??
Anyway here are the latest pics..

falcon cobra
June 7th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I see you already detailed the engine, looks good, I know a guy that has a cherry grill, I think his name is kenny, the inside is nice for a car from:rocker: the barn, a ratless barn? thats strange....jh

doghows
June 7th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I think the only reason for no mice was a cat lived inside of it. Carpet smelled like cat urine so I yanked it out deodorized the car and put that cheap carpet in.
You know me if I can powder it I will, plus I know a guy that can do it real cheap for me.:ROTFLMAO:

Luva65wagon
June 7th, 2011, 08:18 PM
So... turn signals are where? I do kind of like that bumper though. I know some guys don't.

Luva65wagon
June 7th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I think you get Joanna or Kenny to create you a real fatigued looking Doghows Powdercoating logo and paint that on the side just like it is and call it good!

Jeff W
June 7th, 2011, 11:52 PM
How about these?

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autoloc/details.lasso?itemid=MUSTHL2T

7" Red Dot Tri-Bar Headlights w/ Turn Signal + Bulbs

or cheaper guys

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-Black-Dot-Tri-Bar-Headlights-w-Turn-Signal-Bulbs-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20ad8488e9QQitemZ14035 0097641QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

doghows
June 8th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I like that idea, i was looking at mounting the stokers behind the grill?? Still got some playing to do. But she is running great. 3 trips from home to work and no problems!:banana:

redfalken
June 8th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Maybe run a line down the middle from front to back. One half stays as is to show the before, and the other half gets the deluxe Doghows powder coating treatment to show off the after.

That would attract attention! :WHATTHE:

doghows
June 9th, 2011, 09:09 AM
That would be interesting. I think she will stay as is for now. Its time to get back to the delivery!! Maybe off to paint by the end of this month. Geeze I sound like a broken record. End of the month end of the month!! Repeat as necessary.:)

doghows
June 23rd, 2011, 03:18 PM
Ok the barn find is going flat black. I am sanding it down and painting it this weekend!!!! Hopefully all will go well and I can get it over to my friends house that does pin stripping. He wants to do some old school stuff on the flat black. Then after the delivery goes off to paint I can pull the motor on the barn car and clean up the engine bay. Then its off to the shows...
I will put up some before and afters on Monday when it is done and then after the stripping. (striping?) :rocker:

Luva65wagon
June 23rd, 2011, 10:26 PM
So you are going flat black instead of satin black?

Say - I asked, but may have slipped overhead - are you in town on the 4th o'July weekend? I might consider a drive over there on the 3rd if you are. Hope to put in glass here on the 2nd if I can find 2 other pair of hands for an hour that day. If you're not going to be around - not to worry.

doghows
June 24th, 2011, 08:12 AM
The black is an epoxy base primer that my painter friend gave me. Not sure if it is flat or semi but the price was right..:D
I will be around the 4th weekend. Might have to help a buddy out on the morning of the 4th but the 2nd and 3rd will be at the property either getting parts off cars or working on them. So come on over your the next contestant on pic your falcon part..

Luva65wagon
June 24th, 2011, 11:10 AM
"Gave" is a good price, I agree.

OK then... I'll "Come on down." I'll let you know if something gets in the way of that. Another curtain opens, or something.

doghows
June 24th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Sounds good everyone get a list together and we will get it pulled and Roger could bring it back with him for a small gas fee???
See you then.

Luva65wagon
June 24th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Roger could bring it back with him for a small gas fee???

Or a large one. :BEER:

doghows
June 27th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Ok the barn turd is now the Ratchero. She is flat black and ready for pin striping. Just so you all know I did NOT do any body work, and I did NOT line any panels up. This was merely to keep the surface from rusting any worse.
I think it came out great and the price was right... Now it is time to drive the snot out of it.:3g:

Luva65wagon
June 27th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Way better - You did sand it all though? Looks great.

Wouldn't take too much to tweak the body-lines a little when I'm over there, so if you get to the pin-striping before I get over there, and if you have the pin-striping cross body-lines anywhere, be sure to have them follow reference lines of the body and that way when it is aligned - they'll line up.

Still shooting for a Sunday drive...

doghows
June 27th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Sanded the whole car, what a pain. Then cleaned it all with degreaser and wax remover, then a tack cloth then the primer. Couple of small bad spots but who cares. This is a driver till the delivery is done.:shift:

Luva65wagon
June 27th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Too bad you couldn't have driven it through the sand blaster.

I'm this-close to bringing these doors to you next weekend, but I know they'd warp with the sand you use there. You probably did the right thing using elbow grease. And the good thing is, with flat paint it is pretty easy to fix things that didn't come out right the first time. It's a fine-looking hot rod now.

BillP 98201
June 28th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Looks good Steve!!!!
Now drive the "snot" out of it. That distressed Doghouse logo would look good.
After that ...... We want to see the delivery on the road!

doghows
June 28th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Roger I blasted the doors on the delivery with no problem. I have to be very careful with hoods. I usually don't do them. Doors No problem...

Soon as I am happy with the finish of the flat black, my buddy Skip is getting turned loose with the pin stripping. He said he has always wanted to do a Rat Fink on a flat black car. So I might get one. Once again the price is right.... We help each other out over here business wise. I send people to him and he sends them to me.

By the way the delivery is going to the paint shop next week. I'm going to try and bribe Roger into helping me with the last couple panels on it and off she goes.....

SmithKid
June 28th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Lookin' GREAT, Steve!

Luva65wagon
June 29th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Well then, maybe I should bring the doors - if you think we can get them done that day. I will have most of the paint layers off - just wanting a consistent finish before I prime them.

doghows
June 30th, 2011, 08:00 AM
We can surely try. I have a guy coming from Tacoma area to pick up a couple engines I have. He blew his up in his falcon and needs a decent block so I made him a good deal on the two I have under the work bench. Not sure what time he is showing up??
What time are you looking at?? Maybe run down to the shop first thing and bang them out real quick??

By the way 0000 steel wool rubbed those streaks right out. Now it is ready for pin stripping.:banana:

Luva65wagon
June 30th, 2011, 11:32 AM
We'll see how it goes. I think I can strip them fine as is. I should really focus on getting the stuff off the other car I need.

doghows
June 30th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Either way. If you need em done bring em if not that is good too...

doghows
July 20th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Well here is the barn find with her new shoes on. Now it will be off for pinstripe first of August.

Luva65wagon
July 20th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Copy cat. :banana:

Looks good though. I do have those spinner hub caps that were on the grey Ranchero. I was going to keep them as spares for my wagon, since they are the same as that has on it. I also have those bottle-cap stainless Falcon caps you brought over for the swap meet. Shine those up and they'd look nice too. But you really need some rocket-ship caps of some kind.

doghows
July 20th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Cool hang on to those. I will check them out when I come over for steering parts. Thanks Roger.