PDA

View Full Version : 64-65 Parts Car

doghows
June 8th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Not exactly sure what I am getting yet, but another customer of mine wanted a bumper coated. So I did it and he asked if I was interested in a Falcon. It has been wrecked in the front, but comes with 2 fenders and both doors?? Not sure if it is a saveable car or if I will break out my favorite tool and chop it up. Should have it by the end of the week. I will post pics and figure out what to do.
So if anyone needs parts start putting the list together and we will see what we can do.
By the way it is a 6 cylinder car so no 5 lug stuff.:(

Luva65wagon
June 8th, 2011, 03:35 PM
We'll soon see Steve standing on the freeway exit with a cardboard sign:

Doghows Powder Coating
Will powder coat for Falcons.

I'm always interested in wiring because I'll be fab'ing my own on the Ranchflaro. Dash, turn signal (connectors there are really needed) - if it's a 65 car with the alternator.

doghows
June 8th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I will know more on Friday. They are delivering it after work. So far I know it is a 2 door, not sure if it is a post or hardtop. Has two extra fenders, and a hood. The rest of the car is fine. I will look to see if it is repairable first and if not then we will part her out. Depends on how bad she got punched in the nose. I will take a good look and post pics on Monday and go from there...
Roger I will give you first grab if we part her out as you helped me out a ton with the bard find!!:D

Luva65wagon
June 8th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Well, I know if anyone can get something running - you can. So no worries. If it is a driver and can be fixed - we should looking to save Falcons - not get out the "special tools" and make them into Toyota's in a round-about way (AKA melting them down). So, looking forward to seeing it.

doghows
June 9th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Roger that.:ROTFLMAO: Sorry couldn't resist.
Definitely will try to keep her on the road. Maybe the wife will like this one instead of a wagon?? Or maybe fix this one and trade for a wagon??? Hmmm. Now the wheels are turning and it only took until Thursday.

doghows
June 10th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Quick update. Still waiting for the delivery but got a call last night and was told it is a 64 2 door Futura. 6 cyl. auto I think? Now just need to see if it is a hard top or sedan... Lets cross our fingers for a hardtop!!!:rolleyes:

doghows
June 11th, 2011, 11:39 AM
No pics yet but the car is a loss. Wrecked very bad in the front.. Has a 200 6 in it and an auto. I got spare fenders, hood , and doors. The steering wheel broke off from the impact, sooo we are parting her out. Start your lists and lets get this one out of my dive way next.

falcon cobra
June 11th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Well don't keep us waiting.. a hardtop or a post. to bad its a chrusher, will a bent bumper work as a core?

doghows
June 13th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Ok here is the smashed up parts car. Roger the wiring is all yours. The front is a goner but the back half of the car is good for parts. Plus I got all the extra sheet metal for the front. Uni body is buckled so no sense in trying to repair it.
Let me know you needs and we will use what we can.

Luva65wagon
June 13th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Ah man - you could fix that! Piece of cake. Compare to a certain Ranchero - that's in pretty good shape.

:ROTFLMAO:

Really though, they gave everything you need - right? Core support might be too fun and if the fender aprons are too smashed, it may not be worth it.

Sadly - it's a 64 - and the dash wiring still uses the early wiring styles with the generator and fuses on the headlight switch. I'll still take it for connector ends, but not much more I can use. Maybe the door mirror? It looks like the one I got off the Ranchero, which I like the style of.

The 64 front-end parts are a one-year deal, as is probably the steering box, so if they are good, they would be worth gingerly removing for resale. The trim looks decent too. And though they are not really hard to find - is that another grill on the truck lid? Should be able to make back some of your investment in powder on that deal.

Look like a lot of fun in your future... or your saws-all's future. :BIRTHDAY:

doghows
June 13th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Are you sure it is a 64?? I thought the registration said 65?? I am not sure. I will look at the paperwork again.
But anyway the unibody frame in the front is buckled on both sides. The fenders are not so bad. The interior is crap I should get a picture of it. Would make you want to wear your seat belt. The dash is pushed in from some ones knees on both sides of the steering wheel. The steering wheel outer ring is broken off so just the center is left. This one hurt some one.
Amazingly the drivers door still opens, passenger door is another story. It was a Futura model so I will try to save the trim, and maybe the back glass and door glass, regs so forth??? I will just add them to the pile and wait till some one needs stuff...[thumb]

Luva65wagon
June 13th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I'm not sure it is a 64 (not enough grill left to tell), but what is the VIN number? Shoot a picture of the drag-link - that's a sure sign of what it is or is not.

Whatever you do - pick it clean. I see a side business... Doghows Falcon Parts.

Luva65wagon
June 13th, 2011, 09:01 AM
You can also pull the steering wheel (or what's left of it) and if it is a two-contact horn system and not a single contact - then it is 65. Did it come with generator or alternator?

falcon cobra
June 13th, 2011, 10:08 AM
It has a 65 grill, I would think one with a 65 would know

doghows
June 13th, 2011, 10:11 AM
It does have the alternator, and Yes that is another grill on the trunk. Good eye?? I am pretty sure it is a 65 but I will double check tonight.
Doghouse Falcon Parts??? Hmmm. Now I just need to convince the wife it is a good idea.:NERVOUS:

Luva65wagon
June 13th, 2011, 10:26 AM
It has a 65 grill, I would think one with a 65 would know

Forensic Falconologist I'm not. There's not really enough grill there to say for sure. You really got to see the nose of the grill - and the nose is missing. Hints around the headlight doors seem to indicate 65 (they look to be going outward in the center) - but with all the distortion from the wreckage and only 2 shots to go from - and because there was the post from last week saying it was a 64, I wanted to be 'for-sure'. From Steve's last post, it appears to be a 65 for-sure.

Steve - not sure what your schedule is for this, but I'm in headless chicken mode trying to get a release of this software I'm working on out as a release candidate this week - next week worst case. So if I can get that done, maybe I can trek out there in the next week or so and help pull a few things off. If it's got to get gone before I can make it out there, try and pull the wiring harness out from under the dash without cutting wires. I need to get the connectors for the turn signal assembly all in one piece.

Did it have a single-speed or two-speed wiper system? Probably single, but those parts are getting hard to find these days.

doghows
June 13th, 2011, 11:56 AM
No hurry on this one. I am focusing on the delivery again. Maybe play with the turd on occasion. But I am itching to get the delivery off to paint!!!!
I will do some more digging and see what all it has and maybe a few more pics...

Luva65wagon
June 13th, 2011, 12:23 PM
OK good. I'll still try to make a run over there sooner, rather than later. I don't want you spending any time fishing out parts just for me.

I'm getting close to putting stuff on mine too now. Spent all day Saturday on my back brushing and spraying bed-liner under the car, which is what I finally chose to undercoat the thing with. Came out fantastic. Engine compartment and core support are painted now too. Red is going on the dash and other interior parts today (knock on wood and I get off work on time.)

:)

Oh, and I found those tail lights when I re-sorted all the parts bins yesterday into some semblance of order (of course I put them all the way on the bottom of one of them) - so if you still need them, let me know.

doghows
June 13th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Pictures, pictures.... Glad progress is still being made.
I don't think the 62 taillights will fit anymore. I opened up the holes and mounted the 63's I had.
I will check on the wipers, and didn't you do something with a 65 fresh air box and put it in something else?? I need a good box for the barn car, it's door is broken off...

Jeff W
June 13th, 2011, 05:03 PM
If you are not selling the motor complete, I'd have a go at the carb... mine is leaking from the throttle shaft (may explain the rough idle) and I just need one to get me though the summer. :shift:

This fall I put in the new 200ci with the weber 32/36 two barrel.:3g:

BillP 98201
June 14th, 2011, 08:03 AM
:rocker: Powder coated parts, local business, sedan delivery, saw zall.
Sounds like a winner to me!

doghows
June 14th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I will see what I can do Jeff. It looks to be a decent carb, not too much rust and crud on it. I will pull it off and bring or send it with the next trip made across...

Jeff W
June 14th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks in advance. You can send with Brian when he brings his ... um doghouse for powder at Doghouse.

We know it was running decent enough for the guy to plow into a telephone pole.:NERVOUS:

You can have the carb back in a few months.... may even be rebuilt by then.

doghows
June 14th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I would not need it back. Did you try the one off Rogers Ranchero yet?? I bought that one brand new a few months before I sold them to him?? Might help narrow it down. I paid $150 for that carb from the local parts house here in Sequim...[thumb]

Jeff W
June 14th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I would not need it back. Did you try the one off Rogers Ranchero yet?? I bought that one brand new a few months before I sold them to him?? Might help narrow it down. I paid $150 for that carb from the local parts house here in Sequim...[thumb]

That's right, Roger offered to lend me for testing. I'll PM him to see when we can hook up for an exchange.

Luva65wagon
June 14th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Yes - for a test - you are welcome. I my need it back sooner rather than later, so Steve, send that one over for Jeff to use until he does his engine swap (I assume it needs replacing anyway Jeff - if the shaft is worn to the point of dripping gas).

Luva65wagon
June 14th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I paid $150 for that carb from the local parts house here in Sequim.

And I appreciate that. Really I do. It looks very nice. [thumb]

(Humm... I better engrave it... That Jeff, he's a shady character.

Tonight on Judge Judy, meet the two club members who are battling over the ownership of a rare car part. One says the other gave it to him; the other said it was just a loaner. You decide.)

Jeff W
June 14th, 2011, 05:03 PM
If you are worried, you can come over Sunday and help me install it... tool around the block a few times and take it back home. Kenny will be over installing my door gaskets... he has "The Touch".

doghows
June 14th, 2011, 05:21 PM
OOOps did I open up a can of worms??? I will get that one pulled tonight or tomorrow. Then it will be ready for transport.

Luva65wagon
June 14th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Naw - I'm not worried now that I know Kenny will be there. :p

I'll see what I can do Jeff, but if I can't make it south, just call me and I'll see what we can coordinate.

So Steve... how is it that Craigslist gets more pictures that we get? Hum? Humm? :)

Can't really make out much in the engine picture there, but I would like to get the alternator brackets for sure, wiring (instrument cluster to steering column to truck). If it had backup lights in the buckets - those would be good to have too. That air cleaner housing is odd looking. Is that something late model?

You should pull the fresh air vent from the drivers side and put that into your sedan delivery.

doghows
June 15th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Fine be that way..:bicker: Here are some more.
I looked at the fresh air box, so it will come out. I will try and pull all the wiring for you in case some one comes for parts. I don't want them to get what we need. Lots of calls so hopefully I can replenish the delivery account with a infusion of cash.:banana:
Air cleaner is weird, it has no air inlet tube??? I guess it just sucks it up from around the can?

Sorry that last one is what I wish I would find under one of these hoods!!!:rocker:

InkedForLife
June 15th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Didn't notice anybody ask, what shape are the taillight lenses in?

Luva65wagon
June 15th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Ho-oly crappola! And I thought my knees were aching. Somebody had to have not been feeling too good after that. Thank you Jeff for suggesting the cut-a-hole-in-the-package-tray for the 3-point belts! I seriously doubt the driver was wearing any.

No backup lights - oh well. But the bumper doesn't look too bad for someone, or most of the other trim. Definitely pull all that dash trim too.

All in all I think you'll do OK on this as a parts car.

Let me know if it's got to go sooner than later and I'll try to get over there and grab some stuff.

doghows
June 16th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Probably start to pull stuff Sunday. Got a guy after the fenders, another wants the front seat and steering stuff.
Got a call from the guy who gave me the car and apparently he has a whole front clip that goes with it. He just couldn't haul it up here by himself?? Sounds like more parts. I don't think this one is even worth saving looks like the whole body of the car buckled a bit.:cool:
The tail light lenses are there and intact but scratchy and dirty.

Luva65wagon
June 16th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Well - if the guy gets the steering stuff save the column with the wiring - if possible.

Luva65wagon
June 16th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Boy - the more I look at this picture I'm beginning to wonder if this would work with a 6-cylinder air-cleaner at all. I was going to get one of these, but I'm not sure now. Patrick, if you are reading this, what do you think?

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1556&d=1308151216

Luva65wagon
June 17th, 2011, 10:20 AM
So then I take it nobody else has done the export brace with a 6 cylinder car before? Patrick, you are the only person I know with one, so hopefully, just by looking, you can say whether it would work. I either need to order it or do what I was planning in the first place.

doghows
June 17th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Are you going to put a shiny chrome one on? Or just that style with the 6 cylinder. Do you think it will interfere with a stock type air cleaner??
I say bling that engine area out. chrome makes it go faster too!!!!:3g:

pbrown
June 17th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I'm not sure about the brace with the L6. Maybe I can get my car parked next to Kenny's this weekend and see. We should be able to tell by looking at them side by side.

The brace is only $80 in black. The chrome will cost you an extra $466 at Art Brass Plating.

Luva65wagon
June 17th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I'm not sure about the brace with the L6. Maybe I can get my car parked next to Kenny's this weekend and see. We should be able to tell by looking at them side by side.

The brace is only $80 in black. The chrome will cost you an extra $466 at Art Brass Plating.

Thanks - I would really appreciate that.

I almost went ahead and ordered [a black] one today, but decided to wait and see if anybody could check. I can still build something of my own, but I'm getting rather burned out on the building stuff part. :(

Jeff came by and grabbed the carb from me today, so maybe have him call me after he has news on that -- if you know by then.

doghows
June 21st, 2011, 07:52 AM
Couple more interior pics if any one is interested. Couple of people have asked for pics so here you go..

Luva65wagon
June 21st, 2011, 01:15 PM
Not a bad interior. Can you tell what is causing the two seat backs not to be the same angle?

Still planning to come out pretty soon to have a hand at a couple things off that car. Maybe one of the weekend days of the 4th of July weekend? Maybe?

Also, not hearing back on the comparison of the export brace I just went forward and purchased one from Falconparts.com. So, I will just cross my fingers and hope there is no interference.

Jeff W
June 21st, 2011, 02:02 PM
Also, not hearing back on the comparison of the export brace I just went forward and purchased one from Falconparts.com. So, I will just cross my fingers and hope there is no interference.

Not that descriptions are always accurate.. the latest Dearborn catalog shows a similar, if not identical, brace that states "6 or 8 cylinder applications"

doghows
June 21st, 2011, 04:27 PM
I pulled them out and just didn't get them all the way back in. My bad...:o

Luva65wagon
June 21st, 2011, 10:01 PM
Not that descriptions are always accurate.. the latest Dearborn catalog shows a similar, if not identical, brace that states "6 or 8 cylinder applications"

Oh - yeah - the one that was $40 more than everyone else, but "is" the same one. I have not purchased one item from them for this entire project and have saved $1000 doing so - I'm sure. I doubt I would believe the ad, but I will know soon enough - whenever Ron and Rosie decide to ship these parts I ordered.

doghows
June 22nd, 2011, 08:30 AM
Wasn't Dearborn just bought by Eklers?? And they moved it all to Florida or something??? To far away and too long a wait for shipping.:mad:

SmithKid
June 22nd, 2011, 08:52 PM
I just got a shipment (headers) from them on the 3rd day after notification that an order was being filled. It wasn't an in-stock item and had to be ordered by them. But I thought 3rd day receipt was great. I've waited longer from suppliers much closer. Price was the same as I found anywhere else.

Luva65wagon
June 22nd, 2011, 10:05 PM
Gene - you are just too nice to them. :) But I kid you not the export brace was $125 from them and $79 from FalconParts.com. Because I had so much I needed to get, I was really picky about who charged what so I could afford this mess I'm in. Most places were a buck or two different, but I constantly closed their catalog. I can only hope that with the greater buying power of Eklers, they can make themselves more competitive.

But that said -- oohh, ahhh. Headers....