PDA

View Full Version : Greenwood Car Show

BadBird
June 11th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I noticed the Greenwood car show is June 25th and thought I would go ahead and pre-register. I noticed that it says if we want to enter cars as a club we can. We would need at least 10 cars to enter that way but?? Not sure if we have that many but it sure would be fun if we could. We would have to enter by the 23rd. Larry

Luva65wagon
June 11th, 2011, 10:36 PM
We've tried to get that many cars together in the past and have not been able to do so. But we always manage to park together if we meet up prior and drive in all at the same time.

It's coming up fast - I better register too.

redfalken
June 11th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Here's the link to the registration form:

http://www.greenwoodcarshow.com/2011/Register.html

I just printed mine out! Says it needs to arrive to them by 6/23 so allow for mail time.

MacDee
June 13th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I sent my application in on Saturday. Unless I blow her up this weekend, I'll be there!

Luva65wagon
June 13th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I'm mailing mine today. Hope for sun.

doghows
June 13th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I want to go (whining like a baby). You guys have all the cool shows. I might have to start a travel budget for the shop? Hmmm advertising expense? I have to set up a booth in Port Townsend this Saturday, maybe the wife needs to go shopping next Saturday in Seattle?? Little early for me to plan just yet but who knows..

Hal Cogburn
June 14th, 2011, 07:03 PM
I would love to make it up there one of these days but...no luck this year. Keep an eye out for my old falcon...pictures attached...I sold it to a fellow in the Seattle area a couple of years ago because I just had a wild urge to get a convertible. Really nice car when I sold it and the new owner has taken it to the next level...I understand he goes to the Greenwood car show now and then.

Hal

redfalken
June 14th, 2011, 09:43 PM
...the new owner has taken it to the next level...I understand he goes to the Greenwood car show now and then.

Hal

There's a next level?? :WHATTHE: Nice car.

Hal Cogburn
June 15th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Kenny....my understanding he had the bumpers rechromed and the grill redone. Then pulled the engine and detailed the engine bay. There wasn't much else to do...the paint was outstanding and the drivetrain, front end, and everything else was pretty much new. His name is John and lives up in the Seattle area. I believe he was trying to build a collection of fords, one for every year in the 1960's....this Falcon was to represent 1965.
If any of you folks happen to see it I would love to see current pictures.

Hal

Kelly
June 22nd, 2011, 07:57 PM
We'll be there with the station wagon -- in the trailer area at NW corner of 73rd.

Kelly & Chris Melton

Luva65wagon
June 22nd, 2011, 09:50 PM
We'll see how close we can get to you Kelly. We were right around there last year, but we'll have to see how busy things are.

So, will we be meeting in the South zoo lot at 7:00AM like last year and drive over as a group? We met at the South lot at the top of Fremont. I can get my wagon out of storage around 6AM when the gates open.

BadBird
June 23rd, 2011, 05:04 PM
Please, Please, Please..........NOOO RAIN!!! I got everything done!!! Fixed the fuel gauge, fixed the speedometer, Waxing the car now. OH one more thing to do. I ordered the liner that I put under the hood for the trunk to get rid of the heavy fiberglas panels that I installed. Supposed to be here tomorrow so I should be able to get that done. See you in the south parking lot at 0700. Larry

Luva65wagon
June 24th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Larry-
I'll be there. Praying for no rain too.... [BOW]

I assume this is what the rest of you is planning? I asked if this was the plan a couple days ago, but not sure. :confused:

Who all are coming?

pbrown
June 24th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I'm missing it this year. The wife schedules an out of town trip. We leave tomorrow morning :doh:.

BadBird
June 24th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Well the latest weather forcast says showers in the morning with clearing as the day goes on. Great. If it is raining I won't be meeting everyone at the zoo. So, is it possible to come into the show late and if so, how late can I get there to still be considered in the show?? Hopefully it will be okay but?? I got the trunk lining done in the car so it is ready. I will heart broken if I can't make it. Pic of trunk attached. Larry

redfalken
June 24th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Weather's not a problem for me but many years in the past have been filled up early. By 8:00 they might not let us hold a spot so you may have to park where you can. It fills north to south from 68th to 90th.

Try to park by a tall building on the west side of Greenwood Ave. That way if the sun does come out you don't bake in the afternoon sun.

Only in Seattle...after work I was washing my Falcon out in the rain! I'm guessing tomorrow will be a nice day. [thumb]

redfalken
June 24th, 2011, 09:20 PM
And nice trunk too! Gotta work on mine this summer but nothing that fancy. I see you turned the light around too! :)

BadBird
June 24th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Bake in the sun???? I haven't seen the sun since I got back from Tucson. Thanks for the nice comment, and I did turn the light over, but now it doesn't work. Oh, well. Don't want it on the whole show anyway. I will try and be there as fast as I can so if possible hold me a hole in the line. Thanks and see you there. Larry

Luva65wagon
June 24th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I'll be bringing a lot of towels... The way I look at it, it'll be the first time in about 4 years that I washed the car.

Larry - do you not have wipers hooked up? As well as you painted and sealed that car up, I suspect it would survive a little Seattle weather. But I understand not wanting to promote any chance of rust. They will close the entrance at some point, but there is no rhyme or reason. So feel free to call me if you want a heads-up at any time. I'll be heading out of my house around 6AM to head over to the storage locker to make it to Greenwood by 7AM.

BillP 98201
June 25th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Have fun guys!!! Take lots of pics!!! :D

Jeff W
June 25th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I just talked to Kenny, they are parked just North of 85th Street. I'll be heading down there withing the hour with the family.

BadBird
June 26th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Here are a few pics. Larry

BadBird
June 26th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Here are more pics. The yellow 55 won best hot rod.

BadBird
June 26th, 2011, 10:29 AM
A few more pics. The 41 Willys is the car of my dreams and if ever I get a chance and the money that will be the car I build. The last pic is just to show that I learned part of the fun of going to the show is people watching. It was a good time, but very tiring walking so far. Bet I put in 10 miles. Larry

Luva65wagon
June 26th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Glad someone took pictures of our cars. Totally spaced that out. But I did make it all the way up to where Kelly parked and took some pictures of his setup. Kelly, tried to talk to you, but you had a line of people waiting... Nice trailer.

BillP 98201
June 27th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Very nice pics guys!! Dang, wish I could have been there. How many cars were there?

Luva65wagon
June 27th, 2011, 09:37 AM
How many cars were there?

We all arrived at the time we always arrive - right at 7AM. There were already more cars there than we've ever seen before. We kept getting funneled to the end and then we were just about at 82nd when a guy announces "we may not have room for you. Now don't get all hot about it (I hadn't said a thing yet... just gave him a :WHATTHE: look)" They came back a couple minutes later saying they had space for 23 cars left. We almost got all together, even still. Gary had to park across the street (actually traded spaces with Larry AKA Badbird). When I walked the length of the show it went all the way to s-curve, which it has never gone past 73rd in previous years.

There were a LOT MORE vendors this year too, though, selling gutters and chiropractic adjustments... so my best guess is there were 100-150 less car spaces to accommodate us all. Getting very commercialized.

redfalken
June 27th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I've read it was over 700 cars. This was my last year though. It's now way too commercialized for my taste. Since they dropped "Classic" from the name and became a part of Seafair it seems they're more interested in money from non-car related vendors than old cars. Not to mention getting hit up a dozen times to sign some petition to get something on the ballot. And I'm sorry but if I want to see a 2011 Mustang I'll just head up to the Ford dealer!

But, it's always interesting to watch the mass of humanity and freaks stroll by and the overcast sky made my 13 year old paint job look better than it actually is! :p

Luva65wagon
June 27th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I'm probably with Kenny on this. It was unbelievable the number of people asking us about stuff other than our cars.

I'd rather the hosts of this show would go back to a "Greenwood Classic Car Show" instead of a street fair that happens to also have cars - who paid good money to be included. But clearly, 700 cars showing up doesn't say to them, "hey, you're doing something wrong here." And I don't think 3 or 4 missing Falcons will either.

The thing I've always liked about this show is the non-car-guy attendance. Talking to the average Joe and Jane about the hobby is a lot of fun. Just as long as they don't have a ballot thingy in their hand too.

falcon cobra
June 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I agree with this, the kirkland show which was a great show now has tents comming out of your ears, sun glasses, roofing and ect. they don't care about cars , only the money that it brings to the city, 700 x 25. or 30 bucks ads up , there are still free shows, why pay to show a car..john h

modified17
June 27th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Was that a Dodge Daytona that was partially in one of the pictures. I have not seen a street version in years!

BadBird
June 28th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I enjoyed the car show. You guys have always heard "show me the money". You can't get away from this no matter what you do. Money talks and they made a bunch. So, it won't change soon.

I will share my only beef. I went to a car show in Tucson where there were around 500 cars. It cost $30 for the show and they had 175 trophys. There were at least 20 trophies that were 2-3 feet tall. They also gave away some great gifts to all attendees. I expected for $25.00 to see some great trophies and gifts. They gave away some crappy plaques and a bottle of cleaner that was donated??? Money talks but????? OH, I forgot, I did get that real pricey dash plaque. Larry

BadBird
June 29th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I sent a note to the Greenwood Knights saying what I mentioned here. Hope they will change. But I doubt it. Larry

Luva65wagon
June 30th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I wrote to Bill Pierre Ford once (in fact I think I have something in a blog about that) because they were trying to put a show on in October one year and charge $25 and charge $4 for hot dogs and stuff. I reminded them of two other Ford dealership shows I've gone too (Scarff and Bickford) and neither charge and they even give away t-shirts and hot dogs and soda and raffles and trophies. I've done quite well, in fact, at both these shows. Never heard back, but I also don't think the show went without a hitch... it was raining pretty bad that particular day.

So, Greenwood "Classic" car show is no longer what it used to be. That's a given. What is anymore? I liked it because all the "kinks" as you call them, and all the non-car people who really just appreciate the cars. But I don't go to a car show to buy gutters for my house, or to open a bank account. If they brought in all car-related-only vendors, like Good-Guys (another show I can't afford), that might be one thing. I don't even care about the trophies, but they are at least showing the people who come that it is about them and they effort they put into the cars.

But to be bombarded with all the ballot measures, no spots allocated to those who did pre-register - and all the rest -- it was a rather disappointing event. So, I will probably write them too, but it really needs to be more than you and me who do. I know they will look at the shear number of cars and say - we are doing the right thing... and not realize Seattle, with its crappola weather this year, just happened to be full of a lot of garage-bound guys who'd have paid $50 just to get their cars outside - for once.

;)

As for free versus pay - I don't mind paying something to help a club cover expenses. We'd have to charge if we hosted a show. The free shows are mostly cruise-ins with no insurance overhead or other goodies to pay for. Or on a lot owned by the host (like the Ford shows mentioned above). I own a car to show it somewhere, usually. So paying $10 or $15 these days is reasonable. These $25 shows becoming the norm is quite another thing.

OK... stepping down.... Whoaa- horsey...