PDA

View Full Version : TECH DAY! Joanna's nasty hood!

JLP1977
July 21st, 2011, 09:11 AM
HI, everyone! Good to see you guys last night at the meeting! My dad and i made it home with no problems, thank goodness...

OK, here are the days i can get together for painting my hood, so just let me know what days work best for the majority of you:

Saturday, July 30
Sat-Sun, August 6-7
Sat-Sun, August 13-14

And I know we had talked about ding some prep work on the Friday evening before-hand, so I can also make any of those Fridays work.

I'll take care of bringing pizza and pop for the gang!
Thanks in advance for the help, you guys!!

Joanna

BadBird
July 21st, 2011, 12:15 PM
I can do the 30th and the Friday before. I will be in Reno for Hot August Nights the other weekends. If that date doesn't work I wish everyone the best on this repair. Larry aka Badbird

falcon cobra
July 21st, 2011, 02:31 PM
Larry are you driving your falcon to reno? also I still have the regulator if you still need....john h

BadBird
July 21st, 2011, 03:23 PM
No way I would drive it that far without an air conditioner. I am trailering it and it will be my car to drive around there for 1 1/2 weeks. I did get a regulator at the meeting so I appreciate the offer and I really thank everyone for looking and for giving me the regulator. Larry

falcon cobra
July 21st, 2011, 05:08 PM
You must be kidding...air... it's not really summer here , I have never seen a falcon trailor queen . cars are made to be driven , I would drive mine there in a hart beat if I wanted to go....

BPVan
July 21st, 2011, 06:11 PM
I can't do the 13-14th, but the other weekends work for me. I remember Pat saying he was busy the weekend of the 13th and 20th. Maybe the 29th can be a strip and sand day and the 30th the first stages of painting? I'll let the experts weigh in on timing, this is an area I too am in the learning stages.

Luva65wagon
July 21st, 2011, 11:56 PM
I'm heading up to that show on the 13th I mentioned at the meeting on the 13th, so that day's shot.

BadBird
July 22nd, 2011, 10:17 AM
After this note I won't waste anymore space on this thread to discuss my driving to Reno or trailering the car. It may not be summer here, but it will probably be summer there. I also am taking my mother-in-law and daughter along with us. Where do folks put enough clothes and whatever for four people for a two week stay in Reno to play golf and other activities inside a Falcon? I have a 35 foot motor home for these drives and a trailer. So, "Falcon Cobra" I agree that cars are meant to be driven but without knowing any of the particulars it doesn't seem right to catagorize someones car as a trailer queen. Also with only 180 miles on my car I would be insane to start off on a 1500 mile trip on the first expedition. Larry

SmithKid
July 22nd, 2011, 10:59 AM
Larry, even though this thread seems to have been diverted in a direction it wasn't intended, keep us posted regarding your adventures in Reno. I, for one am very interested, and it wouldn't matter even "if" your car is a "trailer queen". You have a "drop dead geogeous" car and however you choose to use it is fine by me and I'm sure, many others!

falcon cobra
July 22nd, 2011, 12:10 PM
OK I"am sorry I was only joking, I don't think I would drive there in a falcon either, I know people that have had there cars come off trailors or the trailor come loose from the truck,, not good.. I see jokes have no place here...and yes it is a fine car, best to take care of it....john h

JLP1977
July 25th, 2011, 07:37 PM
For anyone who can come and help out, the confirmed tech days are:

AUGUST 6-7 (Saturday and Sunday)

Times tbd! And directions to Pat's house also coming...Stay tuned!

Joanna

pbrown
August 3rd, 2011, 10:09 PM
Come help refinish a hood this weekend.

The address is 2841 NW 74th St, Seattle WA 98117. You can Google or MapQuest for direction from wherever you are.

There will be some work Friday evening, Saturday, and Sunday.

redfalken
August 4th, 2011, 07:05 AM
I'll be there! Time to spruce up Martha so she can make it to a show or two this year!!

Luva65wagon
August 4th, 2011, 02:39 PM
I plan to be there on Saturday to do some stuff, but will not be able to stay really long like I usually do.

And Sunday is my B-day. :BIRTHDAY: You can send presents to 126 143rd....

:ROTFLMAO:

pbrown
August 4th, 2011, 03:55 PM
And Sunday is my B-day. :BIRTHDAY: You can send presents to 126 143rd....

:ROTFLMAO:

We'll be sure to save all the old paint scrapings as a gift. I know. We really shouldn't but you're worth it.

Luva65wagon
August 4th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Very kind of you. But I think I'll pass.

:confused:

SmithKid
August 4th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I'll be there on Saturday for as much of the day as I can.

pbrown
August 4th, 2011, 09:01 PM
We will be working Friday evening. The tasks will be to pull the hood and the rear bumper. The hood will be prepped and painted on saw horses. We'll start the stripping process.

I have to make a brief showing at work on Saturday at 8AM. I should be home by 9:30. I'm hoping that Kenny can take charge of the garage if anyone want to start earlier.

I want to get paint on both sides of the hood. Saturday will be spent filling dents and prepping. I want to get paint and clear on the bottom side by the end of the day.

Sunday will be used to get paint and clear on the top of the hood and the back of the car.

pbrown
August 5th, 2011, 10:21 PM
The hood's topside is stripped. Work will begin on the bottom side at 9:00 a.m. Tomorrow morning. There are two very small dents to fill. The hood is in pretty good shape overall.

redfalken
August 5th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Yes, I think it will look pretty sharp when it's done! Some Simple Green with a Scotch Brite pad on the underside and a light sanding should be all it needs.

Has anyone ever had to adhere the cross braces to the sheetmetal on the underside of a hood? I think with the engine fire, it may have loosened up the original stuff. Would liquid nail work??

Luva65wagon
August 5th, 2011, 10:54 PM
There is a polyurethane sealant I used on all the seams on the flarechero (that name is sticking) and you can get it from Home Depot. Found a couple restoration sites on-line that mentioned this stuff. Very tough and flexible once it cures, but cleans with mineral spirits when uncured. And 1/4 the cost of anything similar at Wesco.

redfalken
August 6th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Do you remember the brand name? I see some called Silkaflex.

redfalken
August 6th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Whew!! 9 to 5 and we got a lot done. Cleaned up the bottom side of the hood, did a little body filler repair to 3 spots on the top side, and then put primer - base - clearcoat on the bottom side. Now that side's done and drying overnight so we can finish the top side tomorrow.

Also cleaned up the back panel and have a coat of primer/sealer on the bare metal spots. It will get the same treatment as the top side of the hood tomorrow.

Thanks to Gene, Roger, and Brian for stopping by to help out. Roger fixed the back window so it isn't falling out of the bottom rail now, and put in a new mechanical fuel pump to get rid of the electric aftermarket.

So the fun starts again tomorrow at 9:00 and shouldn't be such a long day. We'll probably have to mount and align the hood after work on Monday. Stop by and say Hi if you want!!!

BPVan
August 6th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Its been more of a learning experience than doing as I am a body work novice. Well if anything, I got to take a few pictures. Looking forward to doing some spraying myself tomorrow.

falcon cobra
August 7th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Looks good guys, and the sun to bake it, so when is the next tech day to do the rest of the car ?
jh:BEER:

JLP1977
August 7th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Kenny, Pat and I wrapped the job up tonight and everything looks AMAZING.

I can't thank everyone enough for coming by and pitching in (Brian, Katie, my mom and pop, Roger, Gene, and of course Kenny and Pat)...

I learned so much, too, so anytime there is another paint-related tech day, I'm there!!

Pat especially: Thank you SO much for giving up your weekend (and your driveway) and loaning out your amazing skills to get my car looking so wonderful!

Joanna

Luva65wagon
August 7th, 2011, 10:14 PM
So it is all back together even? Wow for sure! Got to post some "after" pictures.

I'm sorry I couldn't spend more time out there yesterday or come today. I was supposed to have my nephew come by this weekend to do some yard work for me and my brother-in-law (his dad) was going to do some work on the speaker box in my Ranchero. I waited, I waited. No show. They finally called at about noon today to cancel. Oh well. Anyway, I don't think I could have offered anything Patrick and Kenny didn't already have a handle on. Glad I was able to help as much as I did.
[thumb]

JLP1977
August 8th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Roger, thanks to YOU, I can put my back window up now!! A miracle!

BPVan
August 8th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Some Action shots from Sunday

Luva65wagon
August 8th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Roger, thanks to YOU, I can put my back window up now!! A miracle!

A miracle would be after 6 days or so being able to roll it down - and then back up again. :p

Though I think it might...

Luva65wagon
August 8th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Some Action shots from Sunday

What are these action shots of? Did I forget to tighten a fuel line?

pbrown
August 8th, 2011, 11:21 AM
What are these action shots of? Did I forget to tighten a fuel line?

They got the heater hooked back up again. We had some time to kill while we waited for the primer surfacer to dry.

pbrown
August 9th, 2011, 10:56 PM
The car has gone home. The hood and bumper were reinstalled yesterday.

We had some trouble with the carb. It seems that the float sticks in the down position and caused the bowl to overflow, leak, and flood the engine. I was able to get it started by just holding the throttle open and cranking for a while. A few wacks on the carb with a screwdriver handle may have helped as well.

I also suspect that the thermostat is missing.

I hope the car made it home on it's own power.

JLP1977
August 10th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I made it home GREAT thank gawd! I think that new fuel pump made a huge difference with how it drives...

Yes, next project: carburetor rebuild!

Thank you again for everyone's help, i can't tell you how excited I am. It looks absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! :banana:

Luva65wagon
August 10th, 2011, 08:50 AM
After picture? [thumb]

JLP1977
August 10th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I will post some pix in the next couple days...try and contain your excitement, it looks GOOD. :D

Luva65wagon
August 10th, 2011, 09:21 AM
OK - I'll try...

[yay] [sorry, failed]

redfalken
August 10th, 2011, 01:23 PM
And now we need a moment of silence for the half dozen or so small gnat-like insects that gave their lives for this project...

Especially during the clearcoat phase. That stuff is like crack to them!!! A few body parts are still entombed but Joanna got pretty good at using a pick to get them out without screwing up the paint too bad.

Luva65wagon
August 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Well, the best time of the day to paint is early morning - if you do it outside like this. Bugs tend to increase exponentially as the day progresses.

Luva65wagon
August 10th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Stumbled upon this in 60 Falcon's site regarding what we saw on Joanna's car strut rod brace:

http://www.1bad6t.com/difference/strutbrace.jpg