PDA

View Full Version : Coming together

Guy Monjure
August 28th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Hello to everyone,

The engine is finally coming together. I got the bottem end built and painted. Also got the head together and painted. The front end engine bay and fender wells are close to sandblasting. I have to move the car outside my shop and pull the tires and springs first.

Having fun,
Guy

Luva65wagon
August 28th, 2011, 09:50 PM
So what paint you gonna use to paint the engine bay with? Looks like you're just about ready to spray.

Looking good. [thumb]

Guy Monjure
August 29th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Good Morning

My plan is to move the car outside the shop and drop the tires and springs. Sandblast the engine bay & fender wells. I got a couple of tubes of Eastwood high solids seam sealer to replace the old stuff in the corners. Its black, paintable, non-sagging, and remains plyable after it cures. I also got Eastwoods extreme chassis black satin to finish with. It is suppost to be very durable. I'd planned on appling 3 coats and hope I don't sratch anything dropping the engine back in!

I have a couple questions going forward on my 1963 170 ci.

Was the bottom can on the fuel pump white?

Did the damper, (harmonic balancer) shaft have a grove machined into it? I have a shallow grove in my original one and was wondering if the rubber timing cover seal could have caused it.

I'm hoping to complete the engine build today, except for the exhaust manifold. My original one has a crack in it. I went to the junkyard and found one, but it too had a crack in it. I may need to buy a new one but was hoping to save that expence if I could.

Thanks for your help,
Guy

doghows
August 29th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Guy; I probably have an exhaust manifold here. Post a pic of what you need and I will check my pile. I need to make a trip over to Rogers soon to check out his car and swap some parts with him so I could bring that if I have one.. Let me know Thanks Steve

Just read the other post. I guess I would have to ship it to you?? Still possible let me know.

Guy Monjure
August 29th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Got some pictures of my old manifold and just had to throw a couple in of my 49 year old engine.

The maniforld gasket ID = 1 5/8 & the OD = 2 1/4. The 170 is just a bit smaller than the 200, but I am sure I don't have to tell you that.

I wonder if anyone knows if the bottom can on the fuel pump should be white?

Also if anyone knows if the damper shaft should have a grove machined into it?

Thanks for the help,
Guy

Luva65wagon
August 29th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Guy,

The front balancer has a key slot to key it onto the crank. The timing mark ("O" degree) is on the outer ring.

The fuel pump can on mine is inverted (on top) and all these were. And I painted mine white after seeing a few very old setups that were too. Not to revisit the thread Steve just lived, we'd need to see the fuel pump you plan to use.

That looks to me to be a 200 exhaust manifold like the one I needed for my Flarechero. Steve had that. I have one with a flat flange where the exhaust pipe attaches. But these were for the 144 and early 170's. By late 64, I believe, the 200, and possibly the late-edition 170, used a doughnut hole style gasket and not the flat style.

Here is a picture of my engine with the white-can fuel filter canister with label attached.

doghows
August 29th, 2011, 03:14 PM
If that is a 200 I still have the manifold off the pole car available. But I don't think I have the smaller one. Let me know and I can pull it.
The cars are going to scrap soon so let me know if you need anything else.

Luva65wagon
August 29th, 2011, 03:24 PM
If that is a 200 I still have the manifold off the pole car available. But I don't think I have the smaller one. Let me know and I can pull it.
The cars are going to scrap soon so let me know if you need anything else.

I thought that was the one you sent to me? Along with the timing cover? At least that's what you told me....

You had others?

:confused:

I have the smaller flat-flange one available (left-over swap-meet parts), but needed the one off the pole car because it used the doughnut style gasket.

doghows
August 29th, 2011, 04:17 PM
You might be right???? I remember the timing cover, and some other stuff. I better check before I promise it. Thanks Roger I think I am getting powder on the brain... Brain fart::: I still have the one from the wagon ie.. 170.

Guy Monjure
August 29th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the replys,

My exhaust manifold is original to my 170 engine and uses the donut type gasket. I just put the demetions in the post so you could tell the exhaust hole was in fact a smaller one.

I will get pictures of the new fuel pump I plan to use tomorrow. I closed up the shop for the day and took an early showwer because my wife has company for me to visit with!!!!!!!!

Guy

Guy Monjure
August 30th, 2011, 07:33 AM
luva65wagon,

Your engine bay looks right on. Really something to be proud of!

I got pictures of the fuel pump and the grove in my damper so maybe you guys can tell me if I will need a new harmonic balancer. Its not the key in the shaft it is the small grove I am pointing at in the picture.

doghows
August 30th, 2011, 08:06 AM
That groove should not be there. It is probably worn in from the seal. I have 2 at home that have a similar groove but the one for my 5.0 motor is very smooth. My thought would be to replace it. But we will see what the others say..

redfalken
August 30th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I had the same groove when I did my rebuild. It's a worn groove from the seal rubbing on that area. You can by a "Speedi-Sleeve" that will slide over that groove and make a nice smooth surface for the seal to ride on and keep oil from leaking. Assuming the rest of the dampner is in good shape, this would be the least expensive solution.

Mine's working great so far!

Guy Monjure
August 30th, 2011, 08:23 AM
doghows,

Thanks for the input, my thought was the shaft is suposed to be smooth.

Guy

redfalken
August 30th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Also, it's hard to tell from the photo but that looks like a pretty good size groove. If you use the Speedi-Sleeve, fill the groove with JB Weld and install the sleeve before it dries. This will swipe off excess JB and give the sleeve some support from underneath where the groove is (was).

If I recall correctly they run about $35 or so.

Luva65wagon
August 31st, 2011, 11:25 PM
Yeah, that's not the groove I thought you were talking about.

You really should look and see where the new seal rides. Seals are not all created equal and the seal that made that groove may not have the seal contact point in exactly the same spot as the new seal.

Take a small scale and measure the depth from the stop/ledge on the crank to the highest spot on the new seal, then measure the back edge of the sleeve on the balancer to the groove. If they're in different spots, don't fret about it. Also, the picture was not very clear so it's not clear how deep that groove is. Seals do have a fairly significant collapse to them, and it's very possible it will never leak. And if it does you still have the option of pulling it again and pressing the sleeve over it.

Guy Monjure
September 13th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Hello to everyone,

I been working nearly sun up to sun down the last few days. Made a sandblasting boath between the house and the shop with a big tarp. Worked up untill the weather got bad. I got most of what I wanted to do done but I still have a little more to blast next weekend. I made a paint boath with some plastic and exhuasted the fumes with a fan out of the window. Check the pics.

Still busy making a home of that 50 year old 170!
Guy

EdsFunny
September 14th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Very nice! An inspired effort!

Guy Monjure
September 20th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Hello all

Finally got the sandblasting finished and got the frontend in primer.

Guy

BPVan
September 20th, 2011, 08:32 PM
It's good to see Roger getting some more competition, nice work [thumb]

Luva65wagon
September 20th, 2011, 10:42 PM
It's good to see Roger getting some more competition, nice work [thumb]

Amen to that.

Everything is looking really good. Nice to see a Falcon you can sand-blast and still have something left after you are done. It looks very solid.

Question to others... What holds the upper part of the coil springs when you remove the outer shock towers? Guy, you may not want to stand where you were standing until that is known for sure. :NERVOUS:

Guy Monjure
September 21st, 2011, 06:32 AM
Good morning all

Thanks for the tip. My wife walked into the shop, told me to look up, and snapped that picture.

Pictures of the finish coat, lighting not so good. Pictures do not do it justice. I just may have a place to put that 170 soon!

Guy

Luva65wagon
September 21st, 2011, 11:48 AM
So you did pull the front-end parts off after all? The last pic shows no spring.

Way to go (now I will for sure beat you to the finish)! :D

(Ah shoot - I jinxed myself.)

Guy Monjure
September 21st, 2011, 05:51 PM
Good luck on that one. Do you have any pictures of what you're working on?

I put the towers, the small plates under the towers, and the hood hinges I resorted about a year ago in place today. I will really slow up putting things back together, this is where I found slow and easy serves me best. I found 3M's strip caulk works real well when installing the plates and towers. Looks just like the original caulk, I'm happy with the results.

Guy

redfalken
September 21st, 2011, 09:12 PM
Looks nice Guy! I really love that 3M Strip Caulk. Great for cars since it doesn't get dry and crack. Flexes when the car does.

Luva65wagon
September 22nd, 2011, 10:09 AM
Do you have any pictures of what you're working on?

Shoot - and here I thought I was already famous, crazy, or both. Crazy for sure. Not to boast or anything, but it is the only thread on the forum with over 9,000 views (of course, half of those are my own viewings as I try to boost my ratings [thumb] )

[BOW] to me. :ROTFLMAO:

Here's a link to the thread. May take a couple hours to go through it. Started the project "officially" on March 3rd of this year. Hope to drive it this week. Knock on wood.

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1482

Guy Monjure
October 2nd, 2011, 05:30 AM
Good Morning everyone, football day!!!!!!

I have been busy restoring the little parts and pieces missed on the disassembly. Received a plug set and new shock tower bolts from Scott Drake and a new exhaust manifold from Dearborn yesterday. I will try and get some pictures to share soon.

I put an add in Craislist for starting a Falcon Club here in Albuquerque but no responce. I may try again later.

Hope your teams win today.
Guy