PDA

View Full Version : 302 for Smithkid

SmithKid
September 11th, 2011, 06:02 PM
A few weeks ago, a neighbor offered me a new motor. As I knew my motor was tired, I went to see what he had. It was a 302ci long block (minus a few bolt-ons) with a cast-iron 4bbl manifold. He says he built it while worling at a machine shop (Jacobs) 12 or 15 years ago and never installed it in the van he had at the time. It is bored .030" and has new flat-top Wiseco pistons installed with a "RV" flat tappet cam (unknow grind) and new lifters. I've plastiguaged the mains and rods, and found all to be set at .002" clearance. A new double roller timing set is also installed. Valve job is also complete on stock heads.

So after some haggling and personal guarantees, I agreed to purchase it. I've been quite busy for the last couple of weeks, but today I got the heads and block painted.

I intend to keep you all posted so that I can get advice if I make a major error in re-assembly/installation. It has been many years since I've done any engine assembly, so this'll be a re-learning experience for me.

Attach are a few pics of todays painting.

EdsFunny
September 11th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Nice! All the machine work's done. Does it turn easily?

SmithKid
September 11th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Turns like I expected it to. Just got to remember to use lots of assembly lube because it's been so long since original assembly that the lube has congealed. Also, I intend to spin it over for a while before I let it fire.

BillP 98201
September 12th, 2011, 06:43 AM
When are you planning to put it in Gene?

Luva65wagon
September 12th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Great to see the tail-end of that Ranchero on that side of the garage.

The engine looks nice Gene. Can't wait to help put it in.

SmithKid
September 12th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I'm not in a BIG hurry to install it. I want to have the old engine out for awhile to do some major spit-shining of sub-frame, inner fenders, core support, and firewall. Pro'ly try to do something with the underside of the hood while it's off, too. I think I'll be ready to pull the old 289 in the next week or so.

Got the threads chased and the heads on and torqued today after a couple of hours of honey-do's.

Anyone want to offer advice as to whether or not to soak the lifters b/4 installation? I've read that both ways are recommended:confused:.

BPVan
September 18th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I soaked the hydraulic lifters before putting them in my 240, I made sure all of the bubbles stopped coming out before installing them. Not sure if it made a difference other than cutting down on clatter upon initial start up. I have seen some posts where guys flush them with lacquer thinner first then pump oil into them. Some just use assembly lube and let the oil pump do the rest. I have never seen any negative effects from soaking them first.

Luva65wagon
September 20th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I take a lifter and place it in a little can with oil (I have special little stainless cans we used to use at work), chuck up a push-rod in the drill press, and using the drill press as a press, I "exercise" the lifter plunger in the oil until all the bubbles stop. Usually takes a couple minutes per.

SmithKid
October 5th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Today, I finally got back to my engine (i've been off doing a bit of fishing). Got the engine mostly back together the last couple of days and then realized I was looking at the intermediate shaft for the oil pump still on my work space. Got it installed and put the pan on again, then after the intake manifold was on, I decided I couldn't wait to see the rest of the bling. So, with a little time doing the mock assembly, I took a couple more pictures. Now I guess I'm ready to pull the 289 and spend some time under the hood doing some clean-up, like Roger "TAUGHT" me to do.

Luva65wagon
October 6th, 2011, 12:22 AM
And you were an awesome student. [thumb]
That mill is gonna look quite at home when it's in there. Engine out next week?

BillP 98201
October 6th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Looks great Gene. Thats gonna look great under the hood!

doghows
October 6th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Let me know when. I will bring the sawzall!!!:D Just kidding this far into the game you would have to use a grinder it is a bit cleaner!?!
Looks great can't wait to get to that point with mine.

falcon cobra
October 6th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Gene, is that motor going to fit with those hedders ? ..jh

doghows
October 6th, 2011, 03:34 PM
That is why I am coming with the sawzall!!!![yay]

SmithKid
October 6th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I've heard lots of stories regarding how headers had to be "adjusted" to clear this & that. I'm hoping the sawzall won't be needed to make the headers fit. They are a "Dougs" product and were sold as fitting a '64/'65 Falcon with 4-speed. There appears to be lots of room between the long tubes for the Z-bar (thats what I was worried about), but of course I wont know for sure until I install. Yes. I hope to pull the old engine next week.

Luva65wagon
October 7th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Yes. I hope to pull the old engine next week.
Count me in to help.
[thumb]

doghows
October 7th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Time for the payback portion.. Bring torch and wire brushes, it is time to get dirty!!
Gene I have all the pulleys we talked about yesterday. I will get them coated and your way soon.

SmithKid
October 14th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Today, Roger and I got the old 289 out and on the engine stand (know anybody that wants a complete, tired 289?). Now comes the slow, hard part of the process: cleaning up the engine compartment. It's a mess!

Luva65wagon
October 14th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I've seen worse. You'll have it whipped into shape in no-time. And then we can put the new one in after the front-end parts are swapped out... while we're at it. There are those four evil words again.

I'm also not sure you can prove that was me behind that hoist. I've been resting on my couch all day long. :D

SmithKid
October 14th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Hmmmmm......... I may have to increase the brightness and repost that pic. Didn't realize it was so dark.

Luva65wagon
October 14th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Naw... I confess. It was me. I'm not sure anything can "brighten me up" these days. :(

BillP 98201
October 15th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Great news Gene I didnt hear the "While we r at it" I swear

doghows
October 17th, 2011, 08:08 AM
If you need a place to bury that 289, put it in a box and send it over. I have another one in the shop. Maybe I can make one not so tired one???

Luva65wagon
October 17th, 2011, 06:22 PM
After finding out how quickly Gene got rid of his old 302, once he gets rid of this 289, I may get rid of my extra 69 302 block and crank and all the other parts to it I'll never use. I'll wait until he sells his, so as to not compete with him.

What a guy.

I know. :p

BPVan
October 18th, 2011, 12:38 AM
I put up a posting on the Van forum for your motor as the 289/302 fits nicely without doghouse modification (:doh:). Hopefully you can get a little $$ for it to fund the rest of your project.

SmithKid
October 25th, 2011, 02:06 PM
What in the world are all these wires for?

BPVan
October 25th, 2011, 02:13 PM
A good time to upgrade to a one wire Alternator

Luva65wagon
October 25th, 2011, 02:14 PM
They'll go nicely into my much bigger bin of wires! [thumb]

Glad to see you got the connectors apart...

falcon cobra
October 25th, 2011, 02:16 PM
kinda looks like the feed from firewall to horns and regulator and ect. some one should have taken many pictures,,,, or whoever removed them should put them back....jh:BIRTHDAY:

Luva65wagon
October 25th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Gene - What is this I'm seeing in the red circle?

SmithKid
October 25th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I think I remember that the guy that took them out (me) has a real poor rememberer. Maybe I'm in trouble.

I think I may look into that 1 wire alternator deal. Mines really scuzzy.

SmithKid
October 25th, 2011, 02:21 PM
In the red circle is the "wire" (hollow) that goes to the squirter.

I'm pretty well ready to commence the cleaning process now. Maybe tomorrow. Today's my daughter's 21st B'day.

Luva65wagon
October 25th, 2011, 02:22 PM
But you just took them out today Gene. You've forgotten where they go - already?

Luva65wagon
October 25th, 2011, 02:23 PM
In the red circle is the "wire" (hollow) that goes to the squirter.

Oh... one of them there "hose" wires.

SmithKid
October 25th, 2011, 02:26 PM
You got it. That's the one I'm pretty sure I can figure where it goes.

SmithKid
October 27th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Good weather today. Rolled the Ranchero outside and did a little pre-cleaning in the engine compartment. Pressure washed, and then used Easy-Off over cleaner to remove most grease, then pressure washed again. Don't know if I'd use Easy-Off again as it removed 3/4 of the black paint and left the fender wells splotchy. I'm probably going to have to remove the rest of it to get a smooth base to re-paint. Oh well, I did get some fairly good training in another Ranchero under the hood as I mentioned before.

Luva65wagon
October 27th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I may have to use some of my elbow grease in there. Looks pretty clean though. Will cruise by and check it out.

doghows
October 28th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Just make sure to use the "good" elbow.. Looking good Gene.
Did all the parts make it over???

SmithKid
October 28th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Yes, the parts all made it in fine shape. May change the color. Weird thing though; the crank pulley doesn't seem to fit the harmonic balancer, (about .020") too large where it drops into the center for alignment. May have to do some minor mod to it. Not sure yet. PM me where you would like some paperwork sent to, please. I forgot to get address from packaging.

SmithKid
November 7th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Not too much happened this week(end). Did sell the old engine (it went to Canada to end up in a '66 Mustang). Spent a bit of time in the engine compartment cleaning and prepping for paint (RSN). Took my (replacement) steering column to Redhead Steering today. Gotta get the old one out soon as Readhead says they have a 24hr turn-around.

falcon cobra
November 14th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Hey gene how is the steering box coming? I got mine out without a lot of trouble, the manifold is off and only had to unhook the brake line, piece of cake, how much did they charge for the rebuild at red head?..jh

SmithKid
November 14th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Mine was easy to take out with no engine in the bay. I wanted it out to allow easier D & C in perep for painting, which is now mostly complete. Just have to paint some small parts that were removed for same reason, then do a bit of wire harness re-wrapping. Then i'll be ready to drop the new engine in as soon as my latest shipment of parts arrives. The reuild at Readhead cost a bit under $300 (hope it's worth it). I didn't know the condition of the replacement box, so felt it needed to be done.

SmithKid
November 21st, 2011, 07:41 PM
Kinda feel like I should have named this thread "little at a time" as I seem to be able to go slow and Guy doesn't. However, I ave gotten some more painting done, the rebuilt PS steering box mounted, and the old linkage most ly out of the way. Why oh why did I waste the warm days of summer/fall? It's cold out there!

Luva65wagon
November 22nd, 2011, 12:42 PM
Since when is fishing wasting time? Would you rather be fishing in the cold? It's easier to warm a garage than it is a lake.

:rolleyes:

You're doing a fine job over there - and still finding time to come help me too! On the 11th, we will crank up heat on this and get 'er dun. [thumb]

Falcon1
December 5th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Smith kid, what part of Everett do you live in? I live in Marysville. Falcon 1

SmithKid
December 5th, 2011, 08:54 PM
I live in S. Everett, a few blocks from the K-Mart.

Luva65wagon
December 6th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Gene - I created a thread for your install party, but I'm confused on the actual date. So, please update the thread with anything I left out:

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9956#post9956

SmithKid
December 10th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Hmmmm... seems like part of this thread fell into the bit bucket......
It was COLD this morning with the garage door open, but, the 302 is in place and some of the detail work is done. Thanks to the crew that helped out today (Bill, Kenny, Roger and Denny). The engine went in with very little problem, with the trans attached and the headers loose so we could wiggle them around while lowering to the motor mounts. The driveshaft, e-brake, fuel pump, and carb are all in place. Some plumbing, linkages, and wiring just need to be done and it should be ready for first startup. I'm waiting for some front-end parts, then off to the alignment shop, and the muffler shop for some noise control
THANKS AGAIN for your help!:D

redfalken
December 10th, 2011, 10:59 PM
A few more shots! That engine looks really good in there. Glad we could get you a few steps closer to on the road Gene. Thanks for keeping us fed with the cookies, cider, and fried chicken for lunch!

Falcon1
December 11th, 2011, 02:32 PM
The cable that I have would be more trouble than it's worth. I think you would be better off to fabricate one. That way you can use his peddle. It was nice to meet you guys.

doghows
December 12th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Looks good guys. I would have much rather been there than pouring concrete?. One question however, did the "flarechero" make its first appearance?? I hope this spring that the "flarechero", the Genechero, and my 62 (still to be named) can show up together somewhere..
Anyway nice job, you all have earned a good defrosting![thumb]

Luva65wagon
December 12th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I'm close, but no cigar. I hope to have its engine misbehavin's sorted out pretty soon. I need to run it for a while to do that and at the moment I'm focusing on getting it all water-tight and all the little doo-dads installed before I open up the garage. I need to update my "Crazy" thread soon.

I'm sure by spring we'll both be able to meet up with you somewhere. I, for one, will do all I can to help Gene meet that deadline.

Post pictures of your concrete pour. Those of us who have been there would like to see the change you made.

doghows
December 12th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I'll pop those up in the chit chat.... Poured 6 yards Yeah Yeah!!! Also dropped off the chero at the tire store this am. Getting new shoes and an alignment. Found out it has front disk brakes too.. Go figure.
Anyway hope you get the bugs worked out and I hope Gene get's his bugs worked out as well.
Good job for all you guys that made it over to Genes. Gotta love a club that will freeze their b**ls off to help out a friend. Hope to make it over again soon. In the mean time more pics for those of us who didn't make it...:D

Luva65wagon
December 12th, 2011, 02:11 PM
The cable that I have would be more trouble than it's worth. I think you would be better off to fabricate one. That way you can use his peddle. It was nice to meet you guys.

Thanks Denny for looking. Gene - I have a few cable-style accelerators I've collected over the summer and I found something last night in my pile that might just slide over that pedal shaft and clear the intake runner. I will drag it all over there and we'll get things hooked up... somehow. Hold off buying something from Lokar until we've had a chance to work on it more.

Luva65wagon
December 12th, 2011, 02:13 PM
In the mean time more pics for those of us who didn't make it...:D

We were so efficient - a well oiled machine - that day, we barely had time to take pictures. :ROTFLMAO:

SmithKid
December 12th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I'm not sure how many pics Kenny got, but I only got the two I already posted. I'll be posting a few more as I go, though.

Thanks for looking, Roger. I haven't ordered Lokar stuff yet (it's pretty pricy). Hopefully something can be "manufactured" to avoid that. I did get to ARP today and get the proper hardware on it's way for the manifolds and covers. Also, the brass that's needed for the manifold has been acquired. Still lot's of loose ends to tie up.

Steve, I admire your attecking the flatwork. This past summer I considered it and decided to have it done for me. I guess I'm feeling too old for that kind of labor. [BOW]

Falcon1
December 13th, 2011, 09:27 AM
There are two kinds of set ups, I can't remember the other one. But be advised that the Loclear is designed for a new build, meaning the peddle bolts up from the fire wall in. I did it that way and boy what a pain. I bought mine at Nappa. If you don't fabricate one I would go to a Nappa store and compare the two.

pbrown
December 13th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Gene,

What Lokar stuff are you looking for? Here is a photo of what I had pre-EFI.

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/gallery/data/507/thumbs/Throttle_Linkage.JPG (http://www.rainierfalcons.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/89)

Does that intake manifold have the bossed cast in just behind the carb? I'll try to get a photo of what I ended up doing with my EFI setup. It used a stock cable style Ford pedal, a flat piece of steel bent 90 degrees, and a Lokar cable.

Luva65wagon
December 13th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Patrick - this was your manifold, so what you had bolted to it, would still bolt to it.

Not speaking for Gene, exactly, but I don't think Gene wants to buy new Lokar stuff. He, or he and I, will have to rig up something that works. He's got a shaft coming out parallel to the firewall with a small double-D on the end of that wherewith a short arm with a ball on it come out perpendicular. That fed a bell-crank assembly to the original carb linkage. That arm is just a hair too long and hits an intake runner, so it's got to be modified into something. What, is the question. I have a bunch of cables and pedals, and something that looks like a kick-down that may bolt onto the double-D. Will have to just get over there and focus on it a while, me thinks.

pbrown
December 13th, 2011, 05:11 PM
The photo I added in my previous post is that manifold.

I would get a stock Ford cable pedal setup from the Pick-n-Pull and go from there. All the hard work is already done. Yi=ou just need to fab the lincage at the carb side. The C4 kickdown kit from Lokar is very good and I would recommend getting that one item. There are some Lokar knock-offs on eBay if money is a concern. I know Gene is on a fixed income ;).

pbrown
December 13th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Here are a couple shots of what I have now. I see that I need to tighten that cable nut before any more driving.

Notice the black bracket that the cable housing mounts to. That is just a 1/8" steel plate bent 90 degrees with some carefully placed holes. It bolts to some cast in bosses on the #8 intake runner. I don't remember if the manifold Gene has now has those bosses. One could just make a bracket that used the two rear carb studs instead.

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/gallery/data/508/thumbs/tb_linkage_2.JPG (http://www.rainierfalcons.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/160)

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/gallery/data/508/thumbs/tb_linkage_1.JPG (http://www.rainierfalcons.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/159)

SmithKid
December 24th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Well.... I didn't get mine done/running for Christmas, but I'm so close I can almost taste it! Hopefully in the next week or two.

Merry Christmas to all!

Luva65wagon
December 24th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Looking great Gene! Did you get the parts in time for the front end?

SmithKid
December 24th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Yup. Didn't get 'em on yet with all the holiday doin's happening right now. I did get the replacement bolts and got them installed. Also got the last of the harnesses prepared, but not on. Pro'ly get back to it on Monday.

BillP 98201
December 24th, 2011, 04:59 PM
If you need a hand Gene...... let me know. Im FINALLY off of work. I will be free anytime after Tuesday

SmithKid
December 31st, 2011, 10:49 AM
Still making progress, even though it's cold, and this is the FAMILY time of year. Roger has been here to help a couple of times and, being the "Rube Goldberg" kind of guy he is, has gotten my throttle linkage to work using much of the original hardware. Attached is a pic of the result. Very sanitary. Gonna get out there and brave the cold again today. Hope to attempt starting the engine REAL soon.

Have a SAFE and enjoyable New Years celebration!

Falcon1
December 31st, 2011, 10:58 AM
thats great , you'll have it going in no time. If you to feel that you may need adult supervision give me a shout, if I am not busy , I'll come over. Falcon 1

Luva65wagon
December 31st, 2011, 12:53 PM
Roger has been here to help a couple of times and, being the "Rube Goldberg" kind of guy he is...

I think I better look up who this Rube guy is, and soon. No telling what Gene is really saying here about me. :o

:D

falcon cobra
December 31st, 2011, 02:13 PM
I worked with people that would say it looks like a "rube goldberg" deal, but I never knew if it ment good or otherwise...we will see....jh:D

SmithKid
December 31st, 2011, 05:59 PM
Well, I just looked up "Rube Goldberg" too. I guess I should have egg on my face. :confused: My Dad used that expression a lot, and I always thought it meant just the opposite of what I find today. I was trying to say that Rogewr took something quite complicated and made it work very simply (however, not without a LOT of noodling and a few trial runs). But it seems great, and I think I just need to find the right spring combination to give me the feel I want (I think it's close already). Anyway, I was attempting to thank/compliment him! [thumb]

Luva65wagon
December 31st, 2011, 05:59 PM
Sadly Gene and I ran into another hitch today on his. The Power Steering pump got all bolted up and I said the dreadful words "OK, now how do we run a belt to it?" He has no crank pulley with the right groove. I think he needs this crank pulley:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-FORD-MUSTANG-FALCON-POWER-STEERING-CRANK-TWO-GROOVE-PULLEY-/190593553677#vi-content

Anybody got one floating around they don't need? At a good-ol'-guy Falcon friend discount? $150 on eBay! :bicker:

SmithKid
December 31st, 2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks Roger. You came up with what looks like the proper piece faster than I did. I added it to my watch list for ebay, but sure don't want to have to pay that price. I'll repeat Roger's request from my own keyboard: HELP!

Falcon1
December 31st, 2011, 10:31 PM
I looked and didn't have one, but before you pay $150.00 for that , for a nother $50.00 you can get the billet set from Summit for $195.95. Hopefully you'll find one, this is just a thought. Good Luck, Falcon1

falcon cobra
January 1st, 2012, 08:12 AM
Gene I have one off a 64 289 it's yours for $20. the good old falcon price..jh

SmithKid
January 1st, 2012, 10:42 AM
Great John. [yay] I'll take it. I was at your home once 3 or 4 years ago, but surely don't remember how to get there anymore. If you'll PM me with a address to meet you, I'l come & get it.

SmithKid
January 1st, 2012, 02:04 PM
Well, it was a valiant try, but the pulley that John has is the same as the one I already have. So, I'm still looking......:(

BillP 98201
January 1st, 2012, 08:25 PM
I dont know if this would help.... Im confused on the year
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/2774909261.html
Gene I hope it helps...... theres a guy up in Arlington that is always trying to sell Ford steering stuff on Craigslist, but I dont see any ads right now. Theres a guy over on Madison that has some Falcons his name is Steve. I dont have his number maybe in the Falcon registry

modified17
January 1st, 2012, 09:45 PM
If you havn't found one I might have one if you know what you're looking for. I have a couple of buckets full of pulleys ive had for for years. You're welcome to come over and look through them if you'd like. Give me a call. 425-481-1502 Dave

Luva65wagon
January 1st, 2012, 10:18 PM
What Gene needs is exactly like the one on eBay in the link I posted above.

We're debating extensive machining at the moment to try and make something that works, maybe from something John had and supplied to Gene - or splitting a double-groove pulley and welding a part of one to another. One way or the other, we've get this bird to fly.
[thumb]

doghows
January 2nd, 2012, 08:29 AM
Not sure if I have the right one or not. I just pulled all the power steering stuff off the 62. The set up came from a 64 mustang. Let me check it out tonight and get a pic, maybe I can still help.

SmithKid
January 2nd, 2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks Steve. If it turns out you have one like the link Roger posted, maybe you could take a pic of it?
Gene

pbrown
January 2nd, 2012, 05:52 PM
Gene,

Can't you just run a standard two groove pulley and change the spacing on the alternator and/or power steering pump?

SmithKid
January 2nd, 2012, 09:27 PM
I've seen that done on other cars recently, and it is definitely one of my alternative. In my case, the pump brackets would have to be spaced almost 3" from the head, and that is not my preference. I hope to be able to come up with the proper pulley, at a reasonable cost, or modify something to be close to the proper one. I was given a pulley that could have been modified, but it used a much narrower belt than what was on the pump, and I'm thinking it would probably slip/squeel, so am still pursueing something else.

doghows
January 3rd, 2012, 08:13 AM
Sorry Gene, the one I have is a standard 3 groove pulley. I think it is the one used for P/S, and AC.

Luva65wagon
January 5th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Here is the solution I've worked out with Gene. We took a two groove pulley and cut the needed part off of it, bored it to fit the outside diameter of a single groove pulley. We will install it, align the belt to the PS pump, and mark the location. I will then measure between the outer and inner pulleys to make shims the same in 3 places (to assure it runs true), and then TIG weld it. It should then be as good as the original we can't find for less than its weight in gold.

Gene - expect me to drop by later after work. :BIRTHDAY:

BillP 98201
January 5th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Genius pure genius! :rocker:

SmithKid
January 6th, 2012, 10:47 PM
This is the pulley that Roger has come up with (built) from the commonly found 2 groove pulley, and the single groove pulley. This pic shows how far the Eaton style pump would need to be spaced forward, as the 2 groove pulley locates the PS pulley all the way to the front (forward of the alternator/water pump groove). This pulley (for which a seller on eBay wanted $150) allows for a much cleaner installation. I'm VERY pleased with this unit! THANK YOU, ROGER! [BOW]

I just have a few things left to do, then the new motor should make some noise later tomorrow or Sunday.

BillP 98201
January 7th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Well lets know when...... :banana::banana: I wanna come to the party.....lol

SmithKid
January 7th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Don't know how much of a party there's gonna be, but I know I'll be celebrating inside..

I didn't get as much done today as I'd hoped, as I spent a good part of my early day trying to run down some parts, which was only partly successful. I did get the wiring for the Pertronix and the electric choke done, and there is a little temporary wiring done that will need to be cleaned up after it's done. Gonna go back out this evening and hang the radiator and starter. Tomorrow will just be adding coolant, priming the oil system, installing the plugs and wires, then make the attempt to start it. I'm guessing that'll be somewhere early afternoon.

SmithKid
January 8th, 2012, 07:09 PM
The 302 made LOTSA noise today! I'd forgotten how much noise open headers make when in a garage. Seemed like way more than when outdoors. Anyway, after one false attempt because of a wiring error, it started right up and ran smoothly. Thanks again, Roger, for your help! All systems seemed good with the exception that some lifter clatter can be heard. Don't know why yet, but will do some digging. Maybe it has the wrong pushrods? Now to clean up some wiring after determining where to mount the coil permanently. Also, still waiting for a part to finish up the PS installation. Then I'll be able to get the toe-in a little closer, followed by a trip to the muffler shop followed by a trip to have the front end aligned. After that, there is a possibility it might be seen on the street for the first time in a couple of years. YAY!!!!! :banana:

Luva65wagon
January 8th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Yes, it's always exhilarating to fire up a motor for the first time. Especially when it runs good too. Great job Gene.

BillP 98201
January 8th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Sounds great guys! What a great day to be wrenchin!

SmithKid
January 15th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Got another little bit done today. Cleaned up the ignition wiring (it was a rats-nest temp. to get it running). Next: spark plug wires into their looms, then it'll be runnable again Still waiting for some PS parts. Hopefully they'll arrive in the next coupla days.

doghows
January 16th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Looking good Gene, I might have the 62 on the road today. Just need to install a fan spacer. Maybe a "flarechero", "Genechero", and "anotherstevechero" cruise is in order.[thumb]

Luva65wagon
January 16th, 2012, 09:16 AM
It does look great Gene. Nice cap. [thumb]

And yes, very soon we'll have to start a branch of the club called the Rainier Ranchero Club. 3 strong... then 2, then 3, then 2, then 3, then.... :ROTFLMAO:

As soon as I get my new gas tank in and a working gas gauge, and a little more tuning, I'll be driving mine a lot more. Oh, and less snow too.

doghows
January 16th, 2012, 11:22 AM
I get it, cause I sell and trade and buy so often!!!!:D I can't help it I want them all!!

P.S. I have a 65 for sale....

Sorry for the Hijack Gene I really can't wait to get yours, Rogers and hopefully one of mine in the same place along with all the other Falcon club members. Come on spring.:rocker:

SmithKid
January 18th, 2012, 09:15 PM
It was a lot of tedious work, but the end result with the Smootie looms is very much worth it in my estimation. Roger & I started it again quickly (just to check thhe wiring, heh heh) today. Funny, it's still LOUD! He also helped me put the dash-pad back in. I'd tried several times before and always knocked the little clips off. But we got it today and it, too, looks good.

BillP 98201
January 19th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Very nice and clean! :BEER:

doghows
January 19th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Looks awesome Gene (and Roger) lets get the cheros together for a cruise!! Maybe we can bring them to the meeting next week??[thumb]

Luva65wagon
January 19th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I don't think Gene will be driving open header anywhere other than the muffler shop - and without the steering hooked up yet, not going to happen by next Wednesday, unless his parts arrive... and I think they are on the same truck as my parts.

It does sound really good un-corked though.
[AGREE]

SmithKid
February 4th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Slowly still making headway. Got the PS hooked up and bled a couple of days ago. Seems to be working fine, but haven't actually driven it yet (still no mufflers). I seem to have been afflicted with Roger's disease (while I'm at it). So the last couple of days took advantage of the warmer weather and got the final under-hood painting done. But... still hoping to drive it to muffler shop late next week...... if the weather cooperates.

Falcon1
February 4th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Mufflers, you don't need no stinking mufflers. Hahaha!

Luva65wagon
February 4th, 2012, 09:15 PM
So I guess I'm catching then, huh? But I'd say that disease may actually be a cure for the uglies - since that ain't ugly like the first time I saw it. I said it earlier and I'll say it again - that's looking really nice!

[AGREE]

SmithKid
February 7th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I had set a target of driving to the muffler shop tomorrow and actually met that target (with quite a bit of help from Roger. He aligned the hood and fenders for me and did quite a few other things I had been struggling with. THANKS Roger). However, now it looks as though the weather isn't going to cooperate. Now the forecast is for showers every day through the end of the week. Oh well, there's lots more small jobs to do, and I'll get mufflers on as soon as I can.

Luva65wagon
February 7th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Don't let Gene fool you - he really has been doing most of the work. I just direct well. I really only come for the fine meals Vel makes, and then lounge around watching Vanna.

But you know Gene - that car needs knock-off's!

doghows
February 8th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Ranchero is looking awesome Gene (Roger). Hopefully this spring I can have all you come over and help me put mine back together!! (fingers crossed)

SmithKid
February 8th, 2012, 01:06 PM
The weather cooperated enough for me to sneak to the muffler shop between showers. Of course, as I pulled out of my street to the main city street, a police cruiser went past me and pulled over to the curb waiting for me to go past. I stopped behind him and told him I was on the way to get the mufflers hooked up, and he said, no problem, thanks for stopping. After arriving, I discovered the electrical system wasn't charging and with the engine being tight, it wouldn't restart, While it was being worked on, we put his charger on it, and I made it home w/o killing the motor. So...... another problem to sort out. I had already discovered in the last couple years working on this that I'm not as perfect as I had imagined. I didn't need Murphy to confirm again. Oh well......

Jeff W
February 8th, 2012, 11:46 PM
What kind of mufflers did you decide on... and how does it sound? :rocker:

doghows
February 9th, 2012, 08:16 AM
The good news is it made a trip out of the garage under its own power!! That is a giant step. I like the radiator, which did you go with?
Oh yeah how did it run, and did you enjoy driving it again? (other than the electrical issue)[thumb]

Luva65wagon
February 9th, 2012, 01:48 PM
FWIW Gene had his old tail-pipe and mufflers, which we very new (mileage-wise), hooked up to his new Doug's Headers. Two short s-bend pipes to connect the middles.

Like me (who is not perfect either, regardless of what Steve says... :ROTFLMAO: ) had to work through a lot of bugs when the Flarechero hit the road. Still working them out. Gene will be for a while too.

Gene has issues with the starter he bought, because they wouldn't sell him the one he needed due to some stupid core charge/swap nonsense. He may have to get a different starter and swallow a core charge (unless we can find the right core to match the starter they say he needs).

He's now needing to investigate some really noisy lifters, which became that much more apparently noisy when the headers were connected. That is top on his list and I plan to go over there tonight and help him diagnose that.

OK Gene, sorry for hi-jacking and taking away your joy, as usual. You know me, I do that with forum threads, tools, paint cans... :o

Falcon1
February 9th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Please post the numbers that he needs , or a picture of it . I have a couple laying around here. He is welcome to them.[BOW]

SmithKid
February 9th, 2012, 09:57 PM
The mufflers that were on the car (turbo style) were ones that I had put on a couple of years ago. However, they have probably less than 50 miles on them (the old head pipes aren't even discolored). So I just had Hutch at Beyond Repair connect the new collectors to them again. Everything behind the collectors is 2 1/4". I like the sound: not too loud, but still sounds like a V-8.

The radiator is a Champion unit. I ordered and paid for a 3-row, as you did Steve. But I got a 4-row delivered. Don't know why, but I'm not complaining.

Roger & I pulled the valve covers tonight and found all the rockers loose., as we suspected yesterday after discussion. He stopped at home after work tonight and brought a couple sets of pushrods with him that proved our finding that the pushrods were too short. It's mechanically quiet with longer pushrods in it and runs MUCH better. I'll pick up a new set tomorrow hopefully. Then....

On to the more minor problems!

SmithKid
February 10th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Went to the Action Auto Parts store on N Aurora this AM with my 2 pushrod lengths. The machine shop manager there told me the pushrods that were in the motor were for a 289 and therefore, too short. The pushrods that Roger had in his arsenal were the correct length for the 302. I said I wanted to order the correct ones. He went and got them off the shelf somewhere and when he rang them up they were very reasonable. So, I installed them this afternoon and all is much improved. [thumb]

Luva65wagon
February 10th, 2012, 05:28 PM
:banana:

[AGREE]

SmithKid
March 2nd, 2012, 12:46 PM
You guys may already know this, but I didn't (maybe I'm showing my age)..... I ordered and installed new radiator hoses when the old upper hose appeared to be a longish black balloon after the engine warmed up. I installed the new hoses after they arrived, but noticed there was no spring in the return hose. Wow, I thought. They now manufacture the hoses so they don't need springs. WRONG! They just don't come with springs. You must order them separately. So, I ordered the new spring and took off the bottom hose again to install it. After the third time, I'm getting pretty proficient with that, and I'll probably never forget to order the spring again. Wish they'd make a notation on the websites to remind dummies like me that the springs aren't included.

Jeff W
March 2nd, 2012, 01:10 PM
need springs.

Do you need a spring? I know there are many opinions. I don't have one but this guy sounds like he knows what he is talking about.... but in the end, just another opinion.

http://www.martiauto.com/faqfocus.cfm?qid=20

BTW: This is also the guy that I will be buying my replacement Door Tag through. I like the price.

falcon cobra
March 2nd, 2012, 02:21 PM
I have never used a hose with a spring in it, first of all they are cheap and rust, come apart and get stuck in the cooling holes in the block and or the heads...a good hose won't go flat if the rubber is strong....just my .02 jh

SmithKid
March 2nd, 2012, 07:02 PM
Jeff and John,
I read and thank you for the info on the link you posted. I certainly am not enough of an expert on the subject to argue with anyone on this subject. I will say, I have never put in a lower hose that didn't have a spring in it. The hose that I took from the 289 I removed (with a spring in it) was NOT the factory hose after all these years, and it was NOT corroded into non-existance, but was corroded to some degree. When I found the replacement spring online , it was listed as, and appears to be, stainless steel. So I am in hopes that it won't deteriorate to nothing. I won't be removing it on the strength of that man's statement. I feel "safe is better than sorry" is the best plan, and that safety only cost me $5. I just wish I hadn't needed to do the replacement multiple times.
Just my $.02 worth.

Luva65wagon
March 2nd, 2012, 07:17 PM
It's all suction versus pressure drop. Though I agree a good clean system is ideal and with everything new and clean you should not collapse a hose, the truth is you have far more surface being pumped into and through after the pump than you do at the inlet of the pump. You have zero restriction before the pump (gravity does a pretty good job of feeding the inlet of the pump), but after the pump you are pushing coolant though lots of orifices and hoses before it gets back to the radiator. Any imbalance - ANY - with a weak or long-ish hose, and a good pump, can suck a lower hose closed.

As for having them rust, they do. But I would be more apt to say that is due to lack of maintenance since a well maintained cooling system doesn't promote rust. Don't change your coolant for 10 years (and I think we're all guilty of that) and you then start to see the rust-prohibitive nature of anti-freeze wane.

Oh, and the spring Gene got was Stainless Steel.

That's my take...

redfalken
March 2nd, 2012, 08:36 PM
Besides keeping the coolant fresh you can check for electrolysis in the system. I checked once when the guy at Greenwood Radiator mentioned it but it's been a long time. Here's a good link:

http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/electrolysis.htm

It can corrode ferrous metals pretty quick, especially aluminum.

Jeff W
March 2nd, 2012, 08:58 PM
I think we should ask "Dr. Falcon". [BOW]

doghows
March 5th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Gene, just another thought. I was told I should run a simple ground strap form the radiator to the core support of the car. I was told it would help cut down or eliminate the electrolysis that occurs with non-similar metals?? I don't know if this an old wise tale or if it has an validity to it?? But like you said $5 is a small enough price to pay to be "safe"..

Luva65wagon
March 5th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Uh... the radiator is bolted with 4 bolts directly to the core support. I don't think another wire is going to help here.

I think this might be more a case when you have a radiator that is supported top and bottom by rubber mounts. That would benefit from this, but me thinks the Falcon is OK in this regard.

doghows
March 5th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Ahhh, that makes sense.. Cross one more thing from my list of things to do...:rocker:

SmithKid
March 6th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Had a problem since startup of a "growly" starter. I was concerned that it may have been the wrong unit. With trepidation, I pulled it today and found no sign of mis-alignment or unusual wear, so took it back to the local parts house and they were able to reproduce the growl on their tester (WHEW!). However, they didn't have one in stock and I'll supposedly get a replacement tomorrow afternoon. I guess it sometimes works out that local sources are still good sources when a piece needs to be returned. While I was at it, I also got a couple of other small things done whilst under there.

SmithKid
March 6th, 2012, 05:04 PM
After reading all I could regarding electrolysis recently (thanks to you guys' various input), I decided to check the voltage to the coolant today. My DVM reads .000vdc. Of course, I have fresh coolant. However, rest assured this will be something I will periodically check since I chose to convert to an aluminum radiator.

Luva65wagon
March 6th, 2012, 06:11 PM
This is good news! Hope the new starter sounds more normal. Did you compare it the others and do they still think you have the wrong one?

redfalken
March 6th, 2012, 09:15 PM
One thing I've learned about Ford starters (on my six at least) is to pay extra for the lifetime warranty! I've had the car for 13 years and went through 3 "the cheapest you have" remanufactured before I bought a good one.

SmithKid
March 6th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I didn't get a chance to compare it to others because they didn't have a direct replacement on the shelf for the one I have. However, the guy I spoke with today claimed it is the correct unit for my car (agreed with the other guy). I believe the guy today was the manager of the store.

The starter I got was one of the cheaper ones they sell (rebuilt). The units that are touted as HD are double the money to start with, and go up to the neighborhood of 10X the price of this one. If this one goes bad down the road I guess I'll have to step up for more $$, but for now......

redfalken
March 6th, 2012, 09:48 PM
10x is a little much! I think my latest was $60 compared to $30. And I used to use mine as a daily driver so that's probably 20 or more starts a week.

SmithKid
March 6th, 2012, 09:56 PM
The 10X ones are probably aimed at the racer running ultra high compression and maybe long duration cams. They probably crank the engine faster, too. That's my guess, as I have no experience with them. The one I'm currently using is in the high $30 range.

SmithKid
March 8th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Replacement starter installed today. No growling. Spins over much faster. JOY!

Turned car around to start working on bed and on tonneau. Maybe tomorrow?

SmithKid
March 17th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Got the bed plate re-installed today (hopefully for the last time). This time it includes the same modification that Roger performed on Flarechero to allow access to the upper rear shock mounts, and allows the bed plate to be sealed. Too bad Henry's engineers didn't design like this to keep the water out of there. This probably would have been a less expensive way to modify this area instead of all the channeling designed in to guide the water out of there (which didn't work anyway), and avoided lots of rusted out Rancheros. Now I just have to do the final caulking and mine will be ready for a bedliner to be sprayed. Great mod Roger!

SmithKid
April 5th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I think it was stated earlier in this thread or Roger's that I also acquired a tonneau for my Ranchero. At least one other of these tonneaus has developed stress cracks in the fiberglass. So Roger, who installed his before I did, devised a way the stop the "oilcan" effect that occurs in the large flat areas. I decided to do the same to mine, though mine hadn't as yet developed any cracks. After all, the 'glass is 40 yrs. old or thereabouts (don't know when they were actually manufactured). Here are a few pics to show the stiffening braces (wood with a couple layers of fiberglass over it).

Luva65wagon
April 5th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Wow - it's almost like deja vu... man. You're almost ready to install it now!

SmithKid
April 18th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I asked Roger to come over and bring his Ranchero so i could get measurements to mount my tonneau. He did, and we did. Here is a pic of the result.

redfalken
April 19th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Nice work guys! I love the way those things look and I'm sure they're especially useful up here in the wet NW.

doghows
April 19th, 2012, 07:37 AM
That looks awesome Gene. Keep your Falcon skills sharp, the delivery is going back together soon.

BillP 98201
April 21st, 2012, 06:48 AM
Very nice work guys!!!!!!!

SmithKid
June 15th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Wow! Didn't realize, I hadn't posted to this thread for quite some time. My Lexus buckets aren't even in here. Another thread is going on regarding audio system, and it reminded me to post this pic. I didn't go anywhere near as fancy as some of the systems in you guys' cars, but here's my old school, simpler approach (Bazooka). It sounds good, even though not the fanciest (I don't like the THUMP!).

Luva65wagon
June 15th, 2014, 11:44 PM
I don't recall Jim Reeves having much thump - but it'll help make him sound gooder than before. Can't wait to hear it!

SmithKid
December 11th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Buttoned up the first of my current winter projects! :banana: [yay] Installed the 1-wire alternator I had purchased this past summer. Added a fuse block as others have done to facilitate this. The positive terminal on the starter solenoid was getting very short with quite a few in-line fuses hanging from it, so this is now a bit cleaner. I got an unexpected benefit. The engine bay is now a bit quiter. The old alternator must have been getting a bit long in the tooth. This one is quieter.

On to the next project.

SmithKid
January 10th, 2017, 11:32 AM
Can't beleive it's been 2 years since i added to this thread! I have always hated the color of the carpeting I put in my car! So.... for one of my winter-time projects, I'm changing to a much more pleasing (to me) color. Dark Blue. The old was a much lighter blue that the missus called garish blue. I recently acquired a full box of Dyna-Mat that I will add to the bed-liner material I previously applied. WIAI, I never replaced the firewall pad, so that's in the mix, too. Also, WIAI, the old accelerator linkage is gonna be updated to a cleaner, simpler setup. Whew, that disease is definitely still going around! Oh,yeah.... gotta install the recently re-painted grill also (small change).
Hope I can get it all done B/4 the upcoming show season.

BadBird
January 10th, 2017, 01:44 PM
Good luck Gene, let me know if you need help. As soon as I get this stupid rear end back in my car, I am so darn lazy lately, but will try to get mine done asap. Larry

Luva65wagon
January 10th, 2017, 04:24 PM
Hope I can get it all done B/4 the upcoming show season.

It will happen if I have anything to say about it! :we need a whip cracker emoji:

:BIRTHDAY:

dhbfaster
January 10th, 2017, 07:11 PM
No excuses guys. You are retired AND you live there! :bicker:
Working on my annual travel plan...and planning a few days vacation this spring to get mine going. Thinking positive...
Look forward to seeing yours Gene and Larry. Roger...anything new? And when do we get to see some pics of Gene's sons mustang?

SmithKid
January 22nd, 2017, 06:03 PM
Some of you may remember way back when.... I was doing the refurbish of the interior of my car, I tried doing the floor pans with a brush-on bedliner material in an effort to reduce road noise in the cab. I suppose it worked to some degree, but I was never really satisfied.
I recently acquired some Dyna-Mat (left over from my son's Mustang project) and am hoping for better results this time around. So... in my little version of WIAI with my re-carpeting project.....
Tomorrow... the hump, then on to the carpet install.

Luva65wagon
January 22nd, 2017, 10:26 PM
Looking good Gene! It'll be so quiet in there you may have to get some louder mufflers.

kbuhagiar
January 22nd, 2017, 11:19 PM
I recently acquired some Dyna-Mat (left over from my son's Mustang project) and am hoping for better results this time around. So... in my little version of WIAI with my re-carpeting project.....
Tomorrow... the hump, then on to the carpet install.

Looking forward to hearing about this installation, as I am considering the same thing for my 64 Comet, and possibly my 47 Plymouth.

Keep us posted...thanks!

Luva65wagon
January 23rd, 2017, 09:14 AM
Adding something like Dynamat is the best thing I've done to all my cars so far. These old cars create a lot of road noise you won't realize was there until it's gone.

Though technically you don't need to do the full coverage as Gene did (or I and many others have done) to deaden a panel, it never hurts to cover everything. If cost of the material is an issue, you can deaden a pretty large panel with just a 1' square of Dynamat cut and placed about the panel. If you want a dead-silent vehicle, the more the merrier.

SmithKid
January 23rd, 2017, 05:29 PM
I must believe that if a little is good, a lot's better. I tried to cover everything I could see, including the bulkhead between the bed and the cab. Got my fingers crossed that it was worth the effort. Carpet project is next and then a few other little WIAIs before I drive it again. I'll let you know if the result is worth it to me.

Luva65wagon
January 23rd, 2017, 09:16 PM
What Gene? I can't hear you! Too quiet.

Oh, and I think you missed a spot... behind that heater box.

SmithKid
January 24th, 2017, 09:13 AM
Yeah, I did but didn't think anybody'd notice. Too bad I couldn't coerce you into removing/replacing it for me. Or maybe a tech day? It's everybody's favorite chore. :ROTFLMAO:

Luva65wagon
January 24th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Gene - if you wanna do it right, you know I'd be happy to come over and stick my head up under your dash. Been there, done that. What's one more time?

Would sure make that other WIAI™ project of the firewall pad so much easier for you.

SmithKid
January 24th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Doggonit. I hate it when yer right! [BOW] I guess I better bite the bullet and start pulling the box. It'll make some wire management problems I've made for myself a bunch easier too.

Is that you, Roger? :~:

Luva65wagon
January 24th, 2017, 12:19 PM
Looks sort'a like me. More than this guy does:

dhbfaster
January 24th, 2017, 07:23 PM
Wow, looking good Gene- and that's the good stuff. :WHATTHE:
What kind of hi-fi power are you planning??? ;:)

SmithKid
January 24th, 2017, 08:06 PM
Pretty simple actually, Don. A normal am/fm, cd, usb w/a couple of Alpine speakers in the kick panels and an old bazooka style sub residing on the floor behind the passenger with a small amp for it on the back bulkhead. I usually have "old country" or gospel on a flash-drive entertaining me. For longer drives I usually have a book (thrillers) in the cd drive. The cab is so small, it sounds great to me (my hearing is pretty abysmal).

dhbfaster
January 24th, 2017, 08:47 PM
Sounds like a pretty nice setup Gene. I'll bet the dynamat makes a nice difference with that.
I looked up "old country" and I got the list attached...yea I can dig it! :rocker:
I did the same with gospel songs but I didn't recognize many of the songs! :NERVOUS:

Luva65wagon
January 24th, 2017, 10:14 PM
I grew up with my dad being in country bands and a few of those songs I know pretty well and can even play a couple of them myself. I inherited his song book, all hand-written songs going back into the 60's I'm sure, and some times I pick up my guitar and remember him.

OK, so I play country music too. Just that nobody can figure out what country it's from.

SmithKid
January 25th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Yup. That list is spot-on for the "old country" stuff I like. Gotta get Roger to "pick" for me sometime.

Luva65wagon
January 25th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Gotta get Roger to "pick" for me sometime.

Don't expect to be too impressed. Way better mechanic than I am guitar player. I do OK in the rhythm section. Pick'n hasn't ever been my forte.

dhbfaster
January 25th, 2017, 12:35 PM
Yea...I used to do a little picking too.
(Really...I'm a trumpet player believe it or not...paid for my college with that.)
But I have a guitar and used to play some of the classic rock stuff as well as most John Denver...and I took a classic guitar class in college too. (I had to get my grades up somehow...);:)
It would be pretty pitiful today though.:o
Sounds like our jam session would be pretty weak, we better stick to falcons.

SmithKid
April 4th, 2018, 07:58 PM
Several months ago, I commented in another thread that an upcoming project for me was going to be upgrading to EFI. Back in December I decided to use the FiTech, Go EFI 400 and Command Center fuel pump.

After waiting for our weather to warm and dry a bit, I got started on it last week with assistance/encouragement from Roger (actually, I assisted him).

Today we got it running, although it appears to be running very rich. My feeling at this point is that not all of the factory settings were at default. Soon I'm going to do the procedure to set all at default and try it again. The system is supposed to learn as it's driven to tune itself.

In the attached pic, the Command Center is in the foreground.

Luva65wagon
April 7th, 2018, 08:59 PM
Club member #1: Wow, Gene, that's neato!

Club member #2: Gee, Gene, I gotta get me one of those!

Club member #3: Have you been able to tweak it yet?

Here is a couple pics I took while there.

SmithKid
April 8th, 2018, 10:10 AM
Dear member #1, #2, and #3, I did get under the car and tweek the O2 sensor harness away from the header, but haven't even lowered the car back down yet. Got too much going on at once.

Luva65wagon
April 16th, 2018, 04:32 PM
...haven't even lowered the car back down yet. Got too much going on at once.

Still? I'm anxious to hear it is all running happily. Of course I know all to well the "too much going on" thing. When I realize more than a week has passed and I haven't been here checking for things. :(

SmithKid
April 16th, 2018, 05:18 PM
Yup. We now getting the house in order to go up for sale in 2 weeks. Soon, I hope.

SmithKid
May 15th, 2018, 02:16 PM
Finally got a little time to look at the Ranchero a week or so ago. Got a little detail under the car taken care of and put it back on the ground. This morning, got a bit more time, Roger (member #1, #2, #3) came by and we reset the ECU to default and started over again. IT RUNS!! Drove it around the block, and will put a few more miles on it in the next coupla days. It's running a bit smoother at idle than it ever has is my first observation. Will keep you posted.

dhbfaster
May 16th, 2018, 07:17 PM
House up for sale Gene? :WHATTHE:
Where are you headed?

SmithKid
May 26th, 2018, 04:03 PM
House sold, next place pending. Puyallup, near Graham.

dhbfaster
May 27th, 2018, 08:56 AM
Nice. I was looking around there. It seems like it would be easier to get a place big enough to have a shop.

SmithKid
May 28th, 2018, 10:50 AM
Yeah. I looked at a place..... just under an acre, 1200 sq ft, 2-car attached, and shop big enough for 4 cars with additional 8 ft car door out the back. Overkill for me.

Corbin
July 18th, 2018, 12:06 PM
House sold, next place pending. Puyallup, near Graham.

We just bought some property with a shop in Roy. If you ever need a hand, give me a shout.

SmithKid
November 8th, 2018, 09:22 PM
Finally got the Ranchero "home" yesterday, after several months temporarily residing in my daughter & son-in-laws garage. Not without some problems (most likely caused by me not giving the car the attention it deserves/needs). The battery was totally dead.

So.... it's time to give some credit where it's due. Almost three years ago, I purchased a battery an unlikely place..... HD. It was appreciated at the time by me as a great price for the proper unit (Exide 24x) with a 40 month warranty. Today, 35 months into the warranty, HD replaced the battery. Zero dollars! I was totally surprised and impressed. Again! Kudos to them!

pbrown
December 15th, 2018, 01:39 PM
I'm a big Dynamat fan. I have it in the Falcon and am in process of installing it plus a layer of DynaLiner to my van project. I like to cover every inch that I can get too.

SmithKid
April 7th, 2019, 03:20 PM
I love Dynamat, too. My Falcon got the full treatment.

As i posted earlier in this thread, I've moved S to the Puyallup area. Seems as tho', in the move I lost my headlight doors (which, for some forgotten reason, were off). So.... I'm looking for a decent pair to replace errant units. Anyone got an extra pair lying around (1965 only)?

Gitanesteel
April 7th, 2019, 06:22 PM
I love Dynamat, too. My Falcon got the full treatment.

As i posted earlier in this thread, I've moved S to the Puyallup area. Seems as tho', in the move I lost my headlight doors (which, for some forgotten reason, were off). So.... I'm looking for a decent pair to replace errant units. Anyone got an extra pair lying around (1965 only)?

Ed Murphy in Clarkston has parts for 64/65's including a 64 Ranchero. PM me and I can send you his phone number and email address. It's worth asking

Luva65wagon
October 9th, 2019, 11:43 PM
I've been helping Gene the past few weeks to do some work on his FiTech fuel injection. It was installed a year or so ago (documented elsewhere in this thread), but he discovered the need to relocate the return line. He also needed to replace his mechanical fuel pump, which feeds the FiTech Command Center, which has an internal electric fuel pump.

To accomplish the new return we added a fitting to a "new" tank sender he had for the return and hooked it all back up. After putting in the new mech. fuel pump we took it for a ride to get some gas. We were about a mile from his house when it died. Due to where it was, and limited diagnostic ability (though I did reinstall the old pump because I thought it was the only thing we changed that could cause this) Gene ultimately had to tow it home.

Fast forward a couple weeks as Gene decided what to do and get some parts. I came back down and Gene had decided to add a frame rail fuel pump and abandon the FiTech Command Center, which is a "known" weakness to the system. They're notorious for overheating and boiling the fuel and people are already hacking them to make them work better. But Gene didn't like the thing in general, so we got the new pump mounted on Saturday and I came back today to wrap it up. Unfortunately the day proved to be a real test on our patience with FiTech.

The FiTech unit has a specific wire to run electric fuel pumps and it was connected to the Command Center before. We wired it to the new pump, but we discovered it was dead - no voltage. So I bypassed the FiTech wire and the pump ran... but would not pick up any fuel from the tank. So I yanked the tank sender to discover the tank filter could be pushed on so far it cut off all fuel. AhHa! That was probably why the car got stranded, but we still didn't have voltage on the pump wire. So as I worked on the sender I had Gene call FiTech to sleuth the pump feed wire. Then it got kooky.

Gene: We're swapping out your crappy Command Center with your model XYZ frame rail pump, but have no voltage at the orange wire.

FiTech Support: It should have voltage only for the first 3 seconds.

Me: Nope

FiTech Support: Do you have 12 volts at the red wire.

Me: Yes, we have power to it at the starter solenoid.

FiTech Support: You need to have this wire go directly to the battery.

Me: That's nonsense - and besides, it has 12 volts on your red wire! Next...

FiTech Support: You need a minimum .5 ohms resistance to ground for the throttle body.

Me and Gene: It's 0.00 - no resistance.

FiTech Support: It needs to be .5 ohms...

Me and Gene: (Looking at each other with dismay) - We have a perfect ground?!?! Are you saying we need .5 ohms or it shouldn't be more than...

FiTech Support: Oh, Uh, that's OK.

Me: Where does the orange wire get it's source voltage from?

FiTech Support: The ECU...

FiTech Support: We could reset it and see if that resolves it...

Gene and Support go through the steps to reset the ECU and then... still no voltage.

FiTech Support: I guess you'll need to send it in for repair. Or you can buy a new ECU and replace it yourself.

Gene: How much will that be?

FiTech Support: I don't know, you'll have to ask sales, but the service fee will be $85 plus parts plus shipping.

Gene is transferred to sales, who push him to send it in, $85 plus $285 plus shipping... and "Oh you'll now have a new 1 year warranty! Lucky You!"

Gene: I just replaced your crappy Command Center at my expense and now you're telling me I may need to spend another $350 plus and, and, and...

Roger staring into the engine bay as Gene argues his case (with little to no sympathy from FiTech) when I see what look like 3 fuse holders in the FiTech harness. I proceed to pull the covers off each and one is actually blown! On the orange wire! I pull it and walk to Gene and hold it up to him as the FiTech sales guy is still rambling on and on about how Gene will benefit from sending it in as opposed to replacing the ECU...

Gene's eyes get wide and tells the sales guy that his tech support guy, who we'd just spent half an hour (Twilight Zone time) with had NEVER mentioned. "First check the fuse....!"

FiTech Sales: I apologize for that, sir.

Gene: Click

New fuse and Gene's car roars to life. Gene missed the show over in his lake house park he'd waited all year to go to because a sending unit strainer was pressed on too far causing the pump to draw too much current and blow the fuse (just a guess). The only way I try to see this as a positive is perhaps someone above was trying really hard to keep him off the road that weekend.

OK, I feel better even if nobody reads this rambling mess of a story.

SmithKid
October 10th, 2019, 10:10 PM
Thanks, Roger.

I'm not too sure I could have written that up as coherently as you did, because I'm still dismayed as to how inept the FiTech support person was. And if it wasn't for your SHARP eye, I'd probably be out another $300+ to have those "support" people change a $.50 fuse for me.

My intent is to compose a letter to FiTech detailing that fiasco in the next coupla days.

By the way, when you bring up the FiTecch website, they are now offering their newer replacement for the "Command Center" that I wasted my $$ on, and it's ONLY $400+ dollars! Of course nothing about how their older unit was a piece of garbage that overheated your fuel (some reports of 180 degrees F) and all the purchasers (like me) that had wasted their $$.

Would I purchase their EFI again? Probably not, knowing what I know now.

Luva65wagon
October 10th, 2019, 10:31 PM
My intent is to compose a letter to FiTech detailing that fiasco in the next coupla days.

Gene,

Though I'm fully convinced the reason you had the "stand me by the side of the road" event was solely due to the pickup strainer being choked off, I do believe the known issue with the Command Center would have been the inevitable next failure you'd see. It seems to be that prevalent out there. So you did good to put that on a shelf. The cost for this should have been at the very least subsidized by FiTech for existing customers and their lack of after-the-sale support has already convinced me to avoid them like the plague. The tech support call we both experienced was a double witness to this.

Hopefully, the thing stays alive now that it has been "improved" and you'll not have to deal with them. But, I would be writing that letter too if it were me.

eusdater
October 11th, 2019, 01:45 AM
How much did he sell it to you for?

Luva65wagon
October 14th, 2019, 01:26 PM
How much did he sell it to you for?
Not speaking for Gene (Smithkid) (or maybe I am), but you may need to define what "it" is for him to answer appropriately.

SmithKid
August 13th, 2020, 03:58 PM
Latest incident of getting caught by Murphy is.... Stripped drain plug threads out of my new aluminum pan. Not sure if the threads in the pan were oversize, or the threads on the new plug were under-size, but the result was the same:confused:. I was NOT looking forward to re-pulling the new pan to install a heli-coil. Turns out I overcame the problem by purchasing and installing an over-size plug (15 or so thousandths larger)[thumb].

Luva65wagon
August 13th, 2020, 11:50 PM
I know you are nearly 30 miles south of me now, but I still strain my hearing in an attempt to catch a faint roar from down-yonder. I guess I know now why it hasn't been heard. Hopefully it will roar to life soon now. But I suspect now you are going to wait for the new, again, distributor?

SmithKid
August 14th, 2020, 01:14 PM
Yup. It's supposed to be here Tuesday. Orly thing left on "the list" b/4 that is radiator and coolant. Then maybe later in the week it may make some noise.