PDA

View Full Version : Wagon gas tank.

dirtmagnit
May 24th, 2012, 06:45 AM
I am looking for wagon gas tank. Early. 1961. I'm not sure if there's a difference. I have a working sending/pickup. Need the straps to hold it up also.

I see tank on eBay. Is it worth it? Anyone here try it before?

Thanks!

doghows
May 24th, 2012, 09:25 AM
I just got mine from E-bay. Nice tank and fits well. I believe Roger just got one for his "flarechero". I think he said his straps were tight but got it all to work. I say go for it, you don't want 15 years of junk in your carburetor!!!

dirtmagnit
May 24th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the info on the eBay tank. Are the wagon straps different than the sedans? I'll be buying those also...

doghows
May 24th, 2012, 03:10 PM
The sedans do not use straps they drop in like a mustang tank. The strap kits are the correct ones for the wagons and the delivery's.

dirtmagnit
May 24th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Wow. Totally spaced that.

Wow. Thanks for the conk on the head.

philnlucky
June 5th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Will one from a 1967 Ranchero work? I even still have the straps.

doghows
June 6th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Not 100% sure but I think they are the same.

dirtmagnit
June 6th, 2012, 08:06 AM
I'll tape the tank tonight when I get home for the dimensions. Thanks! I'll post them here when I get them .... ( that new tank sure is pretty in the box)

Luva65wagon
June 6th, 2012, 11:13 AM
The new tank worked well, but I also added a new sender at the same time, which turned out to be less than stellar. Worked, eventually.

The later model tanks changed, but I know someone could, if they had to, use the 60-63 tank in the 64-65 wagon and Ranchero if they also got a new sender. The sender on later cars moved towards the top of the tank - probably to minimize the gushing of fuel if the sender got knocked out in a rear-ender (though the filler hose is still in the same place on all 5 year models and equally vulnerable to getting damaged).

Post-65 cars, wagons, Ranchero's were significantly different, but whether someone could cobble them in... DOE.

philnlucky
June 6th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Photo of 67 Tank

doghows
June 7th, 2012, 08:09 AM
I see what you mean about the sender Roger. Other than that it looks to be the same as the early tanks?

I just noticed the filler tube is in the wrong spot for a early wagon? Should be on the same side with the sender? Maybe there are more differences than I thought???

Luva65wagon
June 7th, 2012, 03:54 PM
No, that looks like the tank in my '65. So even though the cars changed a lot, the tanks didn't. Sender at that angle and top towards the front of the car. Width might be different? What's the width and length and height on the 67 tank?