View Full Version : Update: Jay Leno's dream car the 63 1/2 Sprint

64SprintV8
August 4th, 2012, 11:11 AM
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/cars/ford/#item=253340

:3g:

Nathan289
August 4th, 2012, 11:31 AM
He also joined the fca...

Rumor has it that the fca is contacing mr. leno to see if he can attend next years national.
just a rumor though..

Nathan

falcon cobra
August 4th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I always wanted to drive my 63 hardtop down the alley behind jays shop and burn the tires for him, and now I think I will, anyone want to take a quick trip to L.A.? of all the cars he has and likes the 63 is great....jh[AGREE]

BadBird
August 4th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Let's go!!. I don't think his road is long enough though. I can get a lot longer black marks than that. That is a beautiful car. I love the fact that Leno is so down to earth. Seems like a real person.

Luva65wagon
August 6th, 2012, 03:09 PM
He needs to add a 4-link or at least some traction bars. Lots of wheel hop probably kept him from laying down a 1/4 mile burn-out. Nice car though.

Nathan289
August 6th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I should email mr.leno and tell him he needs some traction masters.

Nathan

BillP 98201
August 7th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Well now I can say Jay Leno has the same car as me! Questioning my stock idea now.......:BEER:

BadBird
August 7th, 2012, 07:11 PM
There are so many ways you can go with that car. It looks good stock or hot. I saw a 63 1/2 in Reno last year that was set up exactly like the one Jay is driving. I wondered when I saw this if it's the same car. The one change I really like that they did was the five speed.

BillP 98201
August 8th, 2012, 06:40 AM
I like the 5 speed idea, and the bigger motor. Wouldnt that effect the value of the car since it is a Sprint?

Nathan289
August 8th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Depends on the buyer.

If the buyer wants a musem piece thats 100% original then yes, it will affect the value to that particular buyer.

If the buyer wants the old car of his childhood memories, but wants modern technology in it to make it more reliable,safer,funner to drive then no it wont affect the value.

I think calling it a sprint, while its missing the correct tach, and the side trim is red not plain makes me question if it truely is a sprint. It has the steering wheel and glove box though. How many hardtops have you seen listed as sprints just because theyre a hardtop?

I also dont care for the fog lights.. the under bumper back up lights and under license plate brake light. But thats just me. Its still a great car and its even cooler that Mr. Leno likes falcons. Even prefers the roundbody to the wedge body (64/65).

The really neat thing is i have a 63.5 sprint.. it used to be white, black interior instead of red. I kept the 260 but i have the five speed..

Nathan

64SprintV8
August 8th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Nice article on the trouble with identifying 63 1/2 Sprints since the normal VIN and Data Plate numbers are shared with the Futura Hardtop.

http://www.westcoastfalcons.com/scff/histriv/63sprints.htm

Identifying a 64/65 Sprint is not a problem via the VIN and thus limits deception or incorrect identification.

FYI - Here is the original listing that shows all the MODS made to Mr. Leno's new 63 1/2 Sprint.

http://bringatrailer.com/2012/04/10/bat-exclusive-monte-style-1963-ford-falcon-sprint/

BillP 98201
August 10th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Well I know I have the 63 260, the insignia on the sides, and glovebox, the tach, the steering wheel. Wish I had the 4 speed though. lol I paid more for mine, because it was a Sprint. Dang it! maybe I shouldnt have :) Im not going to sell it any wat

Nathan289
August 10th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Mine has all the correct badges.. the sprint badges are even three pin. Instead of the later 4 pin.
i have the steering wheel, tach, and glove box door. Missing the correct headliner has moon crater black replacement.
i have the chrome valve covers and air cleaner, not that theyre still on the car.

The only thing mine has that the article says is incorrect is my tail panel says futura.

Mine is also a very early production car. I also think it depends on how the sprint package was ordered. Did the buyer take a base model falcon and order a v8 and added the sprint package or did they order a futura and then add the sprint package?

I think there was more than one way to buy a sprint in 1963.5.. or maybe i have a fake..

Either way i wish mine had the 4 speed too.. mine HAD the 2speed auto.. yuk

Nathan

SmithKid
August 10th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Nathan, though I'm not a Sprint owner, I have the 4-speed from a '64 Comet, and long for a 5-speed. Want to swap?

Nathan289
August 10th, 2012, 09:51 AM
:ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO:

No thanx... i have too much time and $$$$ into my t5 swap... one day it might be done. Im hoping to have the transmission in by tomorrow if i can find the clutch fork anti rattle clip at the recyclers saturday.

None of the big chain stores carry it.. i figured maybe in the dorman help section.. nope

Nathan

SmithKid
August 10th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Yup. I know what you mean re: time and $$$! Mine was a conversion from 3-speed so I had most small parts, but the T-10 I acquired wasn't what I was told. It had to be majorly rebuilt.

falcon cobra
August 10th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Thats what I was told years ago by a sprint guy that a real sprint said falcon on the back and not futura, So who really cares anyway, unless your going to sell it ....jh

Nathan289
August 10th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Thats what ive read on the internet and have been told too.

I find it odd if thats 100% true because my sprint seems to be low mileage, has almost everything else correct except the tail panal. The second owner who bought it in 1980 refers to it as a sprint. So it has had the sprint stuff on it for 30 plus years.

I care because i want to say i own a sprint.. not a clone..:NERVOUS:

My wife called somebody at ford in the historical department and they decoded the falcon as a sprint. Not sure how they figured that out, but i have a cool letter from ford saying it is.[BOW]

Nathan

falcon cobra
August 10th, 2012, 02:37 PM
If the car was hit in the back they could of replaced it with a futura panel, sometimes parts come with no holes and they drill them, I have heard that some have filled the holes and redrilled then , some people go a long way to cheat, I thought about it a long time ago to make my futura a sprint, but how much more would I get if I sold it ? not worth the trouble....jh:BEER:

pbrown
August 10th, 2012, 02:45 PM
If the car was hit in the back they could of replaced it with a futura panel, sometimes parts come with no holes and they drill them, I have heard that some have filled the holes and redrilled then , some people go a long way to cheat, I thought about it a long time ago to make my futura a sprint, but how much more would I get if I sold it ? not worth the trouble....jh:BEER:

I thought that was a Cobra. I knew something was off. Maybe it was the lack of stripes across the hood and roof. :banana:

Nathan289
August 10th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I like my story. My car has a march 25th 1963 production date. Should make it an early sprint. Maybe the sales guy ordered it wrong or the san jose workers built it wrong.

Anyways I have documentation from ford saying it is and that's good enough for me.

It won't be matching numbers when I'm done anyways.. though for some reason I'm keeping the engine.. it has a march 21st assembly date.

Nathan

falcon cobra
August 10th, 2012, 04:22 PM
So thats what I get for trying to help a falcon guy out, maybe we should go to pacific race track sometime and give the falcons a run and some will see why it has a snake on the fender....OK....jh:WHATTHE:

64SprintV8
August 10th, 2012, 09:43 PM
JH/All 63 owners,

Here's the 63 1/2 Sprint Glove Box trim on e-bay today for $63.19 right now. So, if you would like to start the upgrade to a Sprint or replace and existing/missing piece here's your chance....[thumb]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-FORD-FALCON-SPRINT-GLOVE-BOX-TRIM-/150869473354?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessorie s&hash=item232085784a&vxp=mtr

ew1usnr
January 10th, 2013, 06:33 PM
I also dont care for the fog lights..

Jay said that this car was done in the spirit of the Monte Carlo Rally Falcons. See the fog lights in the attached photo of a Rally Falcon. Click on the picture to make it larger. I think that Jay ought to add the black racing stripe shown in the photo. The stripe went across the hood, the roof, and continued on down the trunk lid. Way cool.

I love that photo.

BillP 98201
January 11th, 2013, 10:10 AM
I do have all the "correct" badging tach steering wheel etc. sure would be nice to have the letter. When my shop is built, I will be making some changes, and keeping originals. Should have the shop done in90 days or so

BadBird
January 11th, 2013, 07:20 PM
I am still going for the T5 in my car. I just can't afford the 3 grand to go through Modern Drivelines. Can't seem to find an affordable T5 anywhere. By the time I make it to the junk yards that have a T5 it is already gone. Soooooo if anyone hears or sees of one for sale please let me know. I will have to go through the process of adding the S-10 rear housing and related changes, but that is the only way I can go with my console. Larry