PDA

View Full Version : Tech-Day

doghows
January 9th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Anybody up for a road trip?? I have acquired a 67 mustang 200 6 engine. Seems the one in the Van is not working out as hoped, Soooo time to swap. I will be pulling the motor from the mustang and then pull the motor from the van and putting the new motor in the van. Hopefully all in one day. I will narrow down the time soon but I will keep you all posted. Steve...

BPVan
January 9th, 2013, 12:52 PM
I'm in :sawzall:

SmithKid
January 9th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Count me in! I don't know what facilities you have, Brian. I would be willing to use my garage for this purpose. My Ranchero could be tarped during.

BPVan
January 9th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Count me in! I don't know what facilities you have, Brian. I would be willing to use my garage for this purpose. My Ranchero could be tarped during.

Steve has a nice facility with custom Harwood benches [thumb]

SmithKid
January 9th, 2013, 01:27 PM
True! Been there a few times myself and would be willing to go there also. Just keep his sawzall under lock!

Luva65wagon
January 9th, 2013, 04:07 PM
I don't think Steve's van would make it to Everett anyway. :p

I'm up for it when you're ready. We'll carpool.

doghows
January 9th, 2013, 04:40 PM
OK I will get mt ducks in a row. I am finishing the last of the brackets and do-dads on the delivery and hauling it to the paint shop this weekend I hope. That will open up the shop for engine swapping. I could have both cars in at the same time.
By the way the brakes and shifting and everything else is working awesome on the van so if I swap this motor in I think I will keep her for a while. The delivery should be at the paint shop for a while I think.
I'll make sure the heater is full and the snacks abundant. If the van works out well, I can start coming over there for a change.

P.S. The sawzall :sawzall: is being put into semi-retirment, I have a cutting torch now!!!! :rocker:

falcon cobra
January 9th, 2013, 05:56 PM
steve, whats the mustang like? I need more things to do, while I'am at it....jh:BEER:

redfalken
January 9th, 2013, 11:33 PM
I'll tag along if I'm available. Carpool would be great!

doghows
January 10th, 2013, 08:11 AM
The mustang is a pretty nice 67 coupe. It belongs to a friend of mine in the navy, and he is doing the 289 swap for it. He said if I help him do the work he will give me the 200 6 and the c-4 auto for free. Both have been rebuilt about 600 miles ago. The mustang runs excellent so at least this time I know how the motor runs before I shell out any time and or cash!!
I thought about swapping in the auto and the 9" I have too but I am thinking baby steps right now...
I will try and shoot for a warmer drier day if possible. Thanks guys, or are you just coming for Laurie's food???:confused:

BillP 98201
January 11th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I'd be glad to lend a hand

SmithKid
January 11th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Don't know how I got my brain twisted around at the start of this thread :confused:. I really do know the difference between Brian and Steve. And even though it's Steve, I'm willing to go;). I like carpooling, too!

BPVan
January 11th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Steve with so many hands, maybe the 9"/C4 can happen too? Gene can solder in the harness for the neutral safety switch. :D

SmithKid
January 11th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Let's see.... Soldering. I wonder if Steve would let me use that new torch!?.

doghows
January 11th, 2013, 11:41 AM
What size wire do you need for the soldering job???
Wait ugh err neutral what? Don't you just start these things in any gear??

Could do the 9", I think I just need some drums, its all clean and powder coated new seals and gaskets. Bearings looked real good and turned free. Wonder what I need to do for a cross member for the C-4?? Hmmmm.:D[thumb]

falcon cobra
January 11th, 2013, 02:32 PM
we can make one, if you have some steel and a welder, I have made a few...jh:3g:

doghows
January 11th, 2013, 03:29 PM
That is what I usually do. I think I have enough scrap steel, and definitely a welder. Shouldn't be too hard???? Now what to do for a shifter??

falcon cobra
January 11th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Well how about a hole in the floor and a lever like a motor cylcle has, would that work for ya. maybe a push button like the old mopars had in the 50's that would be cool...jh:WHATTHE:

doghows
January 14th, 2013, 07:59 AM
I was leaning towards a piece of cable to yank on??
Actually a Lokar shifter would be nice not too expensive either? thought they would be more. About 150? Time to order some parts.

BPVan
January 14th, 2013, 08:23 AM
I also have a new set of Monroe 2.5" brake shoes you are welcome to as well as a complete new bendix spring kit.

doghows
January 14th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Thanks Brian, but last time Roger and Gene came over we went through the entire brake system. New shoes, cylinders, lines ect.. And since you helped me out with the M/C install it has all new brakes.
I just wish that first motor didn't have that oil pressure issue and I'd be driving the bejesus out of it. Oh well got that other motor, now just need some time to swap em out.... Thanks...:rocker:

BPVan
January 14th, 2013, 10:59 AM
The shoes from your axle now will not fit the 9" Drums. The 9" brake drums take 2.5" wide shoes, The ones on your van now (7-1/4 rear) I think are 1 3/4. I am not sure if the wheel cylinders will cross or not. Perhaps the drums will swap over to the 9"? Not sure on that either.

Luva65wagon
January 14th, 2013, 12:28 PM
They made a 7 1/4 rear with 5 lugs? I'm pretty sure he has 5 lug rear. Would he have an 8" rear instead?

Yes, all the brakes were redone front and rear when Gene and I was there. I think they were 10" by 2.5 front and 1.75 rear. If memory serves me.

You will want to be careful swapping sizes brakes by keeping the front and rear in balance. The fronts need to maintain a larger size from the rear or you'll be needing to proportion them.

BPVan
January 14th, 2013, 03:01 PM
The vans had a 7, 8 or 9 depending on year and setup. The 7's were on many models through 64 especially the 144 which was 61-62 (Which I think Steve's van originally had, the VIN would tell us). Here is a bunch of info:

http://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t30071-rear-differential-swap?

I also have a chart somewhere of the years, size, and ratios I need to find.

Luva65wagon
January 14th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Steve,

Maybe snap a pic from the underside of the rear-end (front and back). We can tell what you have from that too.

doghows
January 14th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Can do... You guys amaze me with your plethora of knowledge.

Here I was thinking of the axle now and not even thinking of the 9". I must be to excited to be hauling the delivery to the paint shop this week finally.... Blocking sucks too..:doh::doh::doh:

BPVan
January 15th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Found the charts, includes all Fords. Page 1 shows the 7 1/4 in many Econolines. You can run your tag code to be sure. When I was bleeding the brakes I'm pretty sure I remember seeing the 7 1/4 "Peanut".

http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford01.htm
http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford02.htm