PDA

View Full Version : Stella's Re-Birth

Marion
February 20th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Please bare with me as I start this post. I will first tell you about Stella then start posting images and work so far done.

http://www.marioncain.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Stella01.jpg

Stella was purchased by me April 29th 2011, In Everett, Wa. I found Stella at a house that was burnt down while I was on the job making a Delivery for Concrete Tech, the Owner at the time just happened to show up 5 minutes before I was ready to leave, as luck would have it i chatted with him for about 20 minutes and took his number down to make him an offer. I have loved the Falcon since my Jr High School days.

Here?s the information on Stella 1964 Futura 2 Door Sedan (Bench) :

BODY CODE ? Body 62B = Futura 2 Door Sedan (Bench)
EXTERIOR COLOR ? Color J = Red ? Rangoon Red
INTERIOR TRIM CODE ? Trim 651 = Red Crush all Vinyl
DATE OF MANUFACTURE ? DATE L = November 01, 1963
DISTRICT CODE (DSO) ? District 72 = San Jose
REAR AXLE RATIO CODES ? Axle Code 3 = 3.20:1 non locking differential
TRANSMISSION CODE ? Trans 3 = Fordomatic (2 speed) Automatic
ASSEMBLY PLANT CODE ? CODE R = San Jose
ENGINE CODE ? ENGINE CODE U = 170 Cu Inch Inline 6
For 1963 production in San Jose, Stella was the 14582nd car built there.
What has changed so far?
As I purchased it.
Engine = 1971 rebuilt V8 302
Transmission = C4 4 speed automatic shift kit, and B&M shifter
Rear End = POSI ? (will look into this and others)
Wheels = Centerline 5 lug rear 4 lug fronts
Seats = Not original or falcon Quality
Steering wheel = If your handcuffed you can drive it. (Changing this soon)
Rear Lower seat = Burnt to a crisp (The previous owner went to sleep with a lit Cigarette)

May 1st 2011 I started removing the interior, only to find the surface rust in the floor pans, which is a good thing. However I found that the front bucket seats are not compatible with this car, they came from an early model Montego. So the search is on to replace the full interior.

The Interior is completely gutted now and that includes the headliner, carpet, seats, dash panels, all but the steering wheel and the wiring harness is siting on the garage shelf waiting to get the body in for work so it can all go back into its rightful place. So I guess its time to sit and wait on time? in the mean time I am researching places to get replacement parts for those that are not usable or missing.

Hope I dont make you fall asleep during the Re-Birth Process here. :WHATTHE:

Marion
February 20th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Since getting Stella, and taking time to Gut the Interior I have found some great people out here to help along the way, (Mainly this Group). I started to search out the front end parts first of all. here is a list of the way I started aquiring front end parts for the 5 lug conversion.

EBAY and CRAIGSLIST is where I started I purchased for a good deal a set of 5 lug 1965-66 mustang spindles with brake drums. Then i found the full set up from Brake lines to Drums cleaned and retreated, so there's my set set of Spindles. OK money was going fast LOL.

Now after buying my house in Lacey and Driving Stella to her new home. (24x36 foot detached garage) A Mechanic friend of mine runs across the Full Grenada conversion a guy just removed from his Mustang. a little more cash and now its mine and i own 3 sets of Spindles.:WHATTHE:

In the mean time i have ripped Stella's front end out from under her and fitted her with New Upper and Lower Arms along with center link designed for better handling in 65 1/2 from Laural Mountain Mustangs, with the Grenada Disc brake conversion.

So now here I sit, Setting up getting the Windows removed this next weekend and taking trim off to play with Stella's body.

I'm posting images next with just a few words to show Stella when I first got her home. Sure glad I don't live in those apartments now.

Marion
February 20th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Images

Dash, Engine, Left side, and trunk Images. this is basically after I took items off but you see what im starting with here. Ok that is it for now until I take other images during the removal of windows and trim.

Marion
February 20th, 2013, 04:01 PM
A few more images of the new living quarters in the non heated 24x36 garage behind my house. :rocker:

Stella with Her brother BadAss in their new home, Old worn out feet, new disc feet.

Marion
February 20th, 2013, 04:30 PM
I blurred out the background because I stole this image but this is close to what i want to do with Stella, the Photoshop here is due to the only post I found that looks good and it was red I changed it to suit my taste of what I would want. I am sure the wheels wont be the same. it looks like the Trim is going to stay, even if this is just Photoshopped its damn good looking for a POST Car.....:shift:

doghows
February 21st, 2013, 08:09 AM
Nice looking car to start with Marion. Do you plan on keeping her running while you fix her up the way you want??

Marion
February 21st, 2013, 09:07 AM
My plan is to pull the engine soon so I can clean the engine bay and re route wires. While it is out I will get all seals replaced add a 4 barrel and see if any internal parts need replaced. I spotted some leaks so now is the best time monkey with it.

Marion
February 23rd, 2013, 04:10 PM
Today was a great day, Al stopped by I got his Ebrake fixed that little spring was a pain in the RUMPPPPP.

Stella Work Today:

All windows, all trim, front fenders, Hood, all removed and to my surprise I feel like I got a great car. I'm adding a section of images sorry about the quality I was to excited to set my camera up correct.

next few post will have images in them to show the condition of Stella....

Marion
February 23rd, 2013, 04:13 PM
A few more images of Stella from today.[yay]:banana:

Marion
February 23rd, 2013, 04:24 PM
I better go redo images and set my camera up these look like crap Sorry...

Marion
February 23rd, 2013, 04:32 PM
Here is a few more images.

Marion
February 28th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Headed way up North on Saturday to check on a few parts for Stella wish me luck... Fenders Steering wheel and hopefully more.

Luva65wagon
March 1st, 2013, 12:46 PM
Looking very good Marion! Bringing back fond memories...

On the camera issue you mentioned, I try to use a flash or a faster shutter. I know when I take all my pictures (I take a lot of them too) I'm not always a fan of those with the flash added, but that's about the only way to take steady shots without a tripod.

Keep 'em coming either way.

Good luck on the parts search. I have a lot of parts too, so don't hesitate to post what you need. Maybe we'll have it. :BEER:

BadBird
March 1st, 2013, 08:29 PM
I also have some 64 parts so let us know about what you need. Most of my parts are not in very good shape but if you give us a list I'll do some digging and you can see if you want anything. Larry

Marion
March 1st, 2013, 09:13 PM
After this weekend I'm going to make a list of parts needed. It may take me time but I will get it done after looking at what I have. I know I may need a few interior parts. but not sure what I will come up with tomorrow.

I know I need a rear dash template, or just a rear dash to work with here.

Arm rest are on the list and a steering column without a shift on it seeing how I'm on the floor now.

Glove box unless I mount my stereo there inside the door.

SmithKid
March 2nd, 2013, 09:01 AM
Unless you come up with a inexpensive (pretty unusual) floor shift column, the easiest/cheapest way is to change the collar. Lot's of truck collars will interchange. That's what I did and probably lots of others here.

Marion
March 3rd, 2013, 04:31 PM
Been getting ready to pull the engine today, exhaust disconected along with wires radiator tranny lines and more. Is it ok if I call the dude I bought her from a moron. He bypassed so many wires, left burnt cables in place, re-connected wires together by just twisting them and not protecting any of them. I guess I need to find a wire kit for Stella. Any suggestions? :WHATTHE:

I would attach images but this site wont let me search imag:rocker:es on my phone.

Luva65wagon
March 11th, 2013, 09:11 PM
No - It's not appropriate to call previous owners of our cars Morons. The correct PC term would be automobilically challenged.

:banana:

I create all my wiring harnesses from scratch, but that's my OCD behavior responsible for that. Aftermarket kits are just too expensive for my taste and still require about as much splicing. And I have miles of wire... If you're good at wiring, you're welcome to haul my pile home with you and do it yourself - and return what you don't use.

Marion
March 19th, 2013, 04:46 PM
I'll agree with automobilically challenged.next question is has anyone had good luck with Ron Francis wiring? I am thinking this route to redo all my wiring here. Suggestions?:doh:

doghows
March 19th, 2013, 05:04 PM
I used the Ron Francis kit and loved it. So easy and simple. I had most of it installed in one weekend..

Marion
April 29th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Ordering the Ron Francis Retro Kit for wires found a retired Autobody working willing to let me pay him to get the car ready for paint all the way to the final block and sand. I only have the rear bumper and wires to pull off and shes ready to get bare NEKKID (Metal).

Marion
July 10th, 2013, 08:03 PM
I have a few images on my phone but need to get them to the computer. Stella Is now getting some body work done. the engine bay is empty the glass is out and the shell is all that remains. well it rolls.

So far I found an old accident repair with bondo, that has been removed and the holes are getting filled.

The floor is going to get some patches nothing that requires a new set of pans so thats great news.

I have pulled small parts off to sandblast using 7 mil glass beads. cleans up nicely. The mechanic at work is nice enough to let me use his blasting cabinet.

My new interior idea is coming along, I have a friend that does interior work so it will not be Falcon style I have decided to add a twist to mine, seeing how Stella was born with a inline 6, and she will have a 302 with Disc front brakes.

I will set up a few post here with images as soon as i can move images from my phone to my computer. For some reason I cant upload images from my phone to this site.

Hoping now that my computer is a bit better now I can stay caught up on events here.

Marion

Luva65wagon
July 11th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Looks like so much fun!

[AGREE]

Can't wait to get a little bit of V8 action going in my Ranchero. Have the need for speed.

Marion
July 11th, 2013, 08:02 PM
It is fun, but I think im going to be broke soon. Stella may need to stay in primer for a bit, unless someone here knows a painter. I smoke a mean Brisket. (Hint Hint)... I will be getting more prep for paint done next week. Can't wait to play more... here is an image of me smoking. Lol.

RIBS IN THE SMOKER.

TechBoss
July 12th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Marion,

Thanks for sharing the progress and pics on your '64 2-door post. Also, I have a '64 2 dr hard top parts car with LOTS of stuff you might like or want. The body is complete with all the trim in very good condition. It was an original 6 cylinder Futura, but now is minus the motor/trans. I have a set of late model electronic bucket seats or some original hard back buckets from a Torino that may interest you too. My plans for this hardtop is to make it into a combo Rat Rod/Resto Mod that will look not so great, but haul ***.

FYI, I saw your smoked ribs and would be willing to barter some smoked steelhead if/when the time comes. I've been told by many people in the northwest it is the best smoked fish they've ever tasted!

Keep the pics/updates coming.

Rod

redfalken
July 12th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Pat got his `63 to primer and brought it down to the Maaco on Westlake. I'm not usually a fan of the chains but this particular Maaco is really good. They've got 70+ reviews on Yelp and a 5-star rating. They did a very nice job for the money. They were very accommodating and willing to do exactly what Pat wanted.

I know Lacey is a bit far from Seattle but maybe you can check some of the chains around Olympia and see if you can find an exceptional one. If you have a really nice base for them to paint, and get an extra coat of clear put on, you can do the cut and buff yourself to really make it shine and save some $$.

Damn! That brisket looks good. I grew up in Kansas City and when I go back I always get a "burnt ends" platter or sandwich. That's the end pieces of the brisket that get all carmalized and super smokey. The ones you usually pick off and eat when your cutting it up!

:BEER: Keep up the good work!

Marion
July 16th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Marion,

Thanks for sharing the progress and pics on your '64 2-door post. Also, I have a '64 2 dr hard top parts car with LOTS of stuff you might like or want. The body is complete with all the trim in very good condition. It was an original 6 cylinder Futura, but now is minus the motor/trans. I have a set of late model electronic bucket seats or some original hard back buckets from a Torino that may interest you too. My plans for this hardtop is to make it into a combo Rat Rod/Resto Mod that will look not so great, but haul ***.

FYI, I saw your smoked ribs and would be willing to barter some smoked steelhead if/when the time comes. I've been told by many people in the northwest it is the best smoked fish they've ever tasted!

Keep the pics/updates coming.

Rod

I got most of what I need for her for the most part. however today I decided to replace 3 of the 4 floor pans, UGH.

I'm not a fish eater due to allergies but Im will to Smoke a meal anytime we can set it up...

Which brings me to seats. Im installing 66 Mustang Low Back Bucket seats, and have been thinking of a way to make risers for them. so my question to all here is:

"Has anyone tried to order the Seat Pan Risers for a Mustang and installed them with success in a Falcon?"

From what I have seen the Mustang seat risers are separate from the floor pan on a mustang, and weld right in. I can get both sides for 64.00 I am thinking i will be the genie pig for this venture. I noticed others installing flat track seats with all kinds of ideals but i have a feeling this will add little support to the frame and body but should work with small modification.

Marion
July 16th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Pat got his `63 to primer and brought it down to the Maaco on Westlake. I'm not usually a fan of the chains but this particular Maaco is really good. They've got 70+ reviews on Yelp and a 5-star rating. They did a very nice job for the money. They were very accommodating and willing to do exactly what Pat wanted.

I know Lacey is a bit far from Seattle but maybe you can check some of the chains around Olympia and see if you can find an exceptional one. If you have a really nice base for them to paint, and get an extra coat of clear put on, you can do the cut and buff yourself to really make it shine and save some $$.

Damn! That brisket looks good. I grew up in Kansas City and when I go back I always get a "burnt ends" platter or sandwich. That's the end pieces of the brisket that get all carmalized and super smokey. The ones you usually pick off and eat when your cutting it up!

:BEER: Keep up the good work!

I will check into Maaco down here, but I have found a guy in the Olympia area that will do the full paint job for 3500.00 including the final sand, but I am now thinking if its not that had to do the final sanding I will have to ask his price for letting me have the car after the final clear coat goes on.

I enjoyed his Idea for my green to be the Organic Green from house of kolors. it all depends on your primer color and metallic as to the darkness of the green in the end.

HUMMMMM Im scared about the Organic green also due to the images i have seen of it for the low-riders LOL

And Brisket YUMMMMMM My relator said he wanted Brisket for a dinner party so i set forth on Smoking a Brisket. My 3rd one was awesome and the rest since then have followed the same pattern. Nothing wrong with a great smoke.