PDA

View Full Version : Tranny/Clutch Question

BadBird
February 25th, 2013, 08:00 PM
I am tearing my car apart to take out the C4 tranny. I am also taking the engine out to find the small oil leak at the back of the engine. I know the leak is coming from the rear main cap where there is a gap between the block and the cap. I can't remove the oil pan without pulling the engine. It drips about a drop each time I take it for a drive and it drives me nuts.

Here is my question. I am going to install a T5 from Modern Drivelines with their cable operated clutch. What I don't know is, if there are any interference issues at my firewall. If someone has a 64 (or any year if they are the same) that would show where the cable comes through the firewall it would help me understand.

I am attaching a couple of pics from my car. It has the larger brake booster so is there a problem?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Larry

pbrown
February 25th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Rear main cap? Are you sure? What year block? Does this one have a one piece rear main seal? Also be aware that the flywheel/flexplate bolts go all the way through the crank. Many people forget to put sealer on these bolts and these can leak. Are you using a one piece oil pan gasket? Maybe there is a leak at the corners of the pan. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are a lot of potential oil leak points at the rear of the engine.

I can't help with the cable clutch question. I have a friend with a 69 Mustang with a vacuum booster and a cable clutch T5. His fits fine but is a completely different car.

BadBird
February 26th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks Pat for the input. I had this same leak awhile back. It was leaking a little worse then. I knew about the flex plate bolts and sealed those very good. The pan gasket is a one piece and we sealed it well also. I can see that the leak is coming down on the fwd side of the bell housing. I took off the access plate to the flex plate bolts, drove the car, and you can see that the oil is coming down the fwd side in that area.

Since I couldn't remove the pan because it goes over the crossmember. I haven't been able to gain access to that rear main cap. It is a one piece rear main seal. I don't know if you all remember, but I really screwed up when I first installed the engine. I bought the short block already assembled, and I made the mistake of assuming they installed the rear main seal. They didn't, had a big big big leak. I installed it.

I am sure that is where the leak is coming from, and since I will have the tranny out, I will take the engine out, verify, and fix it this time. Almost ready to pull everything out. Should be tomorrow. I will take some pics of where this leak is for future reference. Again, thanks very much Pat.