PDA

View Full Version : 1963 Windshield (tinted?)

Lawrence
May 29th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Hi-
Might anyone have a '63 (tinted?) windshield for my Futura Convertible? Perhaps from a car that is being parted out or, unfortunately, was totaled?

Side Note: My family had a mint '66 Mustang all original (original owner, etc) that was totaled in 1978 (July 4...I still remember it). The car had factory air, tinted windshield, etc, etc. We were fortunate enough to have space to store it, so my dad bought it back from the insurance company. Parts found their way into three other Mustangs we owned over the years...and many more, via friends.
The windshield from that '66 eventually ended up in my '65 shown below. Both were great vehicles - from another chapter of my life!

If you have a suitable windshield, kindly contact me at:

63FordFutura[at]comcast[dot]net

Thank you,
-Lawrence

redfalken
May 29th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Hi Lawrence,

If you don't find a used one I'm pretty sure you can still get them new for under $200. I put a new seal on mine but reused my glass. Maybe someone else might have experience with a local supplier. I think Patrick had a new one installed in his `62.

Some of the Falcon parts dealers probably sell them if you don't mind having it shipped.

Jeff W
May 29th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Pretty sure 63 to 65 convertible and hardtop are the same. Not the same as the sedan. I think they reproduce both... all I have found are tinted and shaded.

Luva65wagon
May 30th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Pretty sure 63 to 65 convertible and hardtop are the same. Not the same as the sedan. I think they reproduce both... all I have found are tinted and shaded.

This is true. I've purchased all mine in the past (with the exception of the last one, which a club member sold me, after buying a sedan model version for his hardtop) from local suppliers. They'll not always have it in stock, but they can get them. And they have always been under $200. I bought my previous windshield through a friend who worked at a place called Parts Channel. He's retired now though, so not sure whether that place is still an option.

I bet, as a club, we could open a business account at a place like this... Humm...

Lawrence
May 30th, 2013, 02:46 PM
>>Kenny, Jeff, and Roger-
Much thanks to all of you for your comments. They provided just the right amount of incentive to make something come together.
I was able to source a new windshield, locally, for $120. The individual at the shop was very knowledgeable and friendly. I will buy a new seal separately, and (through no fault of my own) start to fill up my basement with boxes.
If people are interested, perhaps we can drop the windshield in later this summer – AND finish up with a barbq. I’ll keep you posted!
Thank you again,
-Lawrence

pbrown
May 30th, 2013, 04:13 PM
It's been a while but I pretty sure this is the shop that did mine. It's easy to find the glass. It's hard to find installers with old car experiance. The guy working at this shop had a Fairlane as a daily driver.

http://www.alderwoodautoglass.com/index.html

I bought the seal at Falcon Enterprises and brought it with me.

Consider buying front and rear seals and having the rear window seal replaced while you're there.

Lawrence
May 30th, 2013, 08:20 PM
>>Patrick-
Thanks for the leads. I'll take a look at Falcon Enterprises later tonight. The shop I called was listed on the "Resources" page (http://www.rainierfalcons.com/resources.php): Smart Glass.

I like the idea about replacing both seals, but mines a convertible...so I need to replace the entire top (and then some)! :)

Always good to have multiple vendors for the same part. I'm in Seattle, so Smart Glass works out well for me. Of course the car is in Edmonds, go figure.