PDA

View Full Version : Paint party

doghows
June 6th, 2013, 03:57 PM
So if you read my thread reconstruction has begun you'll know I am now painting the car myself, so I will be seething up a painting party. I need to evaluate what needs done and maybe get a second opinion before the color starts to fly but anyone that wants to help or even just for moral support is welcome.. Food and drink will be supplied and I have p,entry of little project that need done as well.. I am tire of waiting and want to get this car out this year.. Date and times to follow but let me know if you want to come out..
By the way I do live over in Sequim... Thanks Steve. :3g:

pbrown
June 6th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Count me in.

doghows
June 7th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Thanks Patrick I am picking it up tonight. I think the hood, fenders, doors, and tailgate are ready for paint. All the jams are done, roof done, rear quarters need a little love still, but very close...
Ill see what stuff I need but enough is enough.. Hell I might even toss in ferry fees or HUGE discounts on powder coating...

falcon cobra
June 7th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Steve, when do you think it will be paint day, this weekend and next are not good for me. birthday on fathers day. maybe we should go kenmore air and you could pick us up at the beach....jh

redfalken
June 7th, 2013, 05:30 PM
I could hitch a ride with Pat if the date's good for me.

pbrown
June 7th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Steve,

Also keep in mind that this will likely be a multi-day job. There will probably be two to three days depending on what's already done.

The best way to do this would be without interior, engine, tranny, and all glass. Pull the fenders, doors, hood and tailgate.

Paint the engine bay, interior, underside of hood, inside of doors and tailgate, and all jams on day one. Apply clear to same and wait for the clear to harden overnight to install. Then mask and paint the rest on day two.

Is the paint metallic or solid? That will dictate how things get painted. Solid colors are easier since you don't have to hang the panels on the car for day two.

pbrown
June 7th, 2013, 05:37 PM
I can't do anything until i get my SAAB back together. Maybe we need a SAAB tech day.

falcon cobra
June 7th, 2013, 05:46 PM
DOOOO WHAT????:confused:

doghows
June 7th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Ok car is home. Here is the skinny. Engine bay is done painted and ready to go. Car has no interior no glass and all panel are off the car and ready for paint. Roof is ready for paint. Rear quarters need a little love. Might need to prime there again.
Paint is a metallic base coat clear. Ill try and get some pics up by Monday at the latest. I think she's ready to jam unless the quarters should be done first. I think we are a couple weekends away this one I will get me list in order and pick up supplies. Ill keep everyone posted and plan ahead so anyone that want can make it over. Thanks everyone.

pbrown
June 7th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Get any last minute body work done before any painting is done.

What brand of paint? PPG, Dupont, Omni?

doghows
June 8th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Not sure yet. The paint shop is suppose to have it for me on Monday or Tuesday but ill let you know.

BPVan
June 8th, 2013, 05:50 PM
If the date works out, count me in too!

Luva65wagon
June 10th, 2013, 11:09 AM
I'll do my best to attend as well, but it will be mostly a learning thing for me as I've only painted single-stage stuff all my life. I like to learn though.

doghows
June 10th, 2013, 11:35 AM
All are welcome...:BEER:

falcon cobra
June 10th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Steve 400 or 600 will be ok, I like wet over dry sanding, no dust...jh

BadBird
June 10th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Doesn't matter, wet over dry, and I used 600. It all depends who you talk to. Some say only 400 while others demand 600. Main thing is, that all the panels are finished and smooth, and everything that gets bolted to any area that gets painted has been fit checked.

pbrown
June 10th, 2013, 08:20 PM
I used PPG K36 as a surfacer and take it to 600 wet. Start at 240, then 400, and finish with 600. This is of course with a fresh coat of surfacer between each sanding.

doghows
June 10th, 2013, 09:21 PM
So far the car is mostly in primer. Been sanded with 320 everywhere. So do I need to prime it again and then go to 400 prime again and then go 600?
Might be a while till I'm ready for paint??

pbrown
June 10th, 2013, 09:54 PM
So far the car is mostly in primer. Been sanded with 320 everywhere. So do I need to prime it again and then go to 400 prime again and then go 600?
Might be a while till I'm ready for paint??

That is what I would do. You can go straight to 400 if you're confident that you have enough thickness in your surfacer. You really don't want to bust through though.

doghows
June 12th, 2013, 01:25 PM
What is everyones and for the Fourth of July? It's on a Thursday so I am closing the shop and taking a four day weekend. It might be a good time to spray the car??
Let me know if anyone is around or if its a bad idea. Thanks Steve.

falcon cobra
June 12th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Steve, isn't it going to two colors? that may take a extra day, are you going to clear it all after both colors or what do you have in mind? ..jh

doghows
June 12th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Yes base and clear and yes two tone.. I hope to have it jammed and reassembled prior to that weekend. I am closing my shop from Thursday the 4th through the following Monday. This will give me 4 days to get it done...[thumb]

pbrown
June 12th, 2013, 08:36 PM
I'm going to be on Lopez Is that weekend. I think that will just be fri through Sun.

doghows
June 18th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Body work DONE!!!! :doh::doh: I think now to prime and wet sand to 600:BEER:

doghows
June 18th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Quick question for paint gurus. Do you use guide coat before your wet sand with 600? I'm thinking yes but want to check. Thanks.

pbrown
June 18th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Quick question for paint gurus. Do you use guide coat before your wet sand with 600? I'm thinking yes but want to check. Thanks.

Yes. You can buy special guide coat in a spray can. I always use a cheap sandlable spray primer for the guide coat. I figure it's all being sanded away anyway. The pros may disagree.

doghows
June 19th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Thanks Patrick I have a bunch of that spray cab guide can guide coat still so ill use it up. On my way now!!!

Luva65wagon
June 19th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Steve,

I think most people have things [planned for them] going over a long weekend like that. I'll see what I can do to come out.

I have to arrange a day to come over, or Gina to come over here, to deal with a couple Comet issues. I figure best do it at your place or mine. Kill two birds if done at your place.

SmithKid
June 19th, 2013, 12:54 PM
I'm one of those that have that week-end planned. But..... not too sure of how much help I'd be with painting anyway. Assembly is another story: I would like to help with that.

doghows
June 19th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Thanks guys, I knew it would be a long shot on a weekend like that. Right now the plan is primer this weekend. Then I think I will jam it, then put the sheet metal back on and then do my final 600 wet sand. That way I can clean off any over spray that I might get and hopefully put color on it after that.
If all goes well the assembly party would be the 13th or the 20th..
:banana::banana::banana::rocker::rocker::rocker::D

Luva65wagon
June 19th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Where are your paint divisions going to land? Middle of door? Body blue and roof and window frames silver? Did you post a picture way back when? Couldn't find it if you did.

falcon cobra
June 19th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Did you ever get the paint? what brand is it?...jh

doghows
June 19th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Paint will be here this week. Separation will be just above where the door handle used to be. About 2 inches above the upper body line of the side scallop. There were some artist drawings up about two years ago????? Maybe not that long but just different color schemes.
As soon as I have paint in hand ill post the brand and type.

doghows
June 19th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Roger put a link with paint scheme on the construction thread.

pbrown
June 19th, 2013, 09:16 PM
The car doesn't need to be assembled for the final primer or 600 grit sanding.

doghows
June 20th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Paint is here it is Valspar 999 base coat and uses an HPC1 hardener. The cleat coat is Valspar AC4400 HS clearcoat..[thumb]

falcon cobra
June 20th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Valspar ?:WHATTHE: Thats what I use to varnish my boat with, when did they start making car paint.. Is that what the painter uses??....[BOW]

doghows
June 20th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Yes they have a whole mixing bank with their paint in it. That is all they use at this shop?? I've seen a few completed jobs from there and they look great. Hope I didn't get screwed again....:confused:

pbrown
June 20th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Valspar ?:WHATTHE: Thats what I use to varnish my boat with, when did they start making car paint.. Is that what the painter uses??....[BOW]

You'll find that a lot of paint companies make automotive paints. Here is the website.

http://www.valsparrefinish.com/

doghows
June 20th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Talked with my buddy in the navy and he said he uses the valspar. He said he likes it and hadn't had problems. Colors look good I can't wait to put it on the car. [thumb]

doghows
June 30th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Primer is done but the new primer I used is a darker grey than the earlier stuff. Does this mean I need to shoot a sealer on the whole car after sanding but before color???
It does look good and so far pretty straight! I'm happy so far and I did it Ina week or two not 6 months!!! :banana:

pbrown
June 30th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Spray a sealer over the whole car after you get it sanded with 600. You want it all the same color.

doghows
June 30th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Roger that I assume the jams as well. Does the color of the sealer make any difference?
I think paint weekend is after the fourth. We see how much I can get done after work this week.
Thanks Patrick.

pbrown
June 30th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Roger that I assume the jams as well. Does the color of the sealer make any difference?
I think paint weekend is after the fourth. We see how much I can get done after work this week.

What are the final colors? Go for sealer that will be lighter and cover easily.

doghows
June 30th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Silver upper and blue lower.
Ill get a light grey or white sealer.

doghows
July 8th, 2013, 12:24 PM
So the sanding will be done this week so I plan to start with sealer and maybe color this weekend. (13th)
Question for painters, how long can sealer sit before color? I don't want to mess up at this point because my arms are wore out from sanding..:o

Luva65wagon
July 8th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Usually whatever you use for the temperature you have - and whatever flash time they say... that should be enough. Once the sealer has flashed off, then it is dry enough to paint. I know you said you didn't thin the last surfacer, so I don't know if that's the case with the sealer or not, but back in the day you had to select the correct thinner for the temperature you are spraying. Some flash off based upon temps to keep things from drying to fast or too slow.

What's the brand/part number again of your sealer? Maybe the painters here can look up info about it on-line and better advise.

pbrown
July 8th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Expect an epoxy based sealer to require a top coat within 24 hours. Download and read the P-sheet for each product you have.

doghows
July 8th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Ok I'll look up the info but I should plan on sealing only what I can paint. So seal the jams paint the jams, assemble car seal the car paint the car.
Rinse repeat as nessesary. Thanks guys.

pbrown
July 8th, 2013, 10:13 PM
seal car
paint car
assemble car

You can't put any more sealer on once the jams are done. There will be overspray onto the panel edges. You would need to mask off the jams. Don't do that. The base coat dries very very fast. So you could assemble the car 30 minutes after jamming if you really want. You would have to take it back apart for clear.

Construct a jig that would place the doors and fenders in an upright position for painting. Then you won't have to worry about the metallic settling at different angles.

Go to www.autobody101.com and spend some time browsing and searching. You will learn a lot.

BPVan
July 9th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Agreed. Between Pat and that website, I have learned more about painting than I ever thought I would. Kenny is a great resource too, his Honda looks amazing.

Still a novice but I am much less intimidated by it all. I just cut my teeth on a big painting project in order to get some experience to do my van hopefully this winter.

Pat - I am guessing with the insane amount of body work Steve has done he can skip the surfacer? (BTW I don't think you should waste a good gun on surfacer, I shot it with a cheapo HVLP and it worked fine, gummy stuff!)

Steve would love to help out if I can fit it in. Been a busy summer but I am overdue for a trip out there.

SmithKid
July 9th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I agree. Though I'm not planning any painting projects, I spent some time there on Pat's recommendation. It's a very informative site.

Marion
July 10th, 2013, 07:15 PM
If you spray a sealer on the primer it will need to be painted with in an hour from what i learned form a painter here in Tacoma. Stella is getting sanded and ready for a few dent removals now. I hired out that part seeing how the whole car is apart and im thinking i want her straight.

Primer is done but the new primer I used is a darker grey than the earlier stuff. Does this mean I need to shoot a sealer on the whole car after sanding but before color???
It does look good and so far pretty straight! I'm happy so far and I did it Ina week or two not 6 months!!! :banana: