PDA

View Full Version : August 24th - 2nd annual Falcon mini regional

doghows
July 3rd, 2013, 06:50 PM
Got my flier today for the mini regional down in woodland today. Comets welcome too. It is August 24th Saturday.
I say we make an even better showing than last year so plan now. I should have the delivery mostly ready by then. If not its trailer time.
Also upgraded to smart phone so I won't miss the meeting time!!!

Nathan289
July 3rd, 2013, 10:38 PM
Im going to try and make it. Even with a falcon this year..

Can anyone possably pick up some parts foe me in Marysville?

Im working on the details but it might be what i need to get the falcon back on the road.

Nathan

SmithKid
July 4th, 2013, 02:51 PM
I hope to make it this year. Gotta juggle some other previously made plans, but my social director currently gives tentative approval after all my whining and crying.........

Gina K
July 4th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Yes! It's my week-end off, I'm down for going. Looked at all the pictures posted from last year and there was lots of Comets too. Sounds like a fun time.

redfalken
July 4th, 2013, 05:45 PM
So far that weekend is open for me. It will be good to put some miles on the Falcon! Maybe we can meet up at the same place...same time.

Here's the info from last year's thread:

1) No pre-stop in Tukwila.
2) Meet at the gas station off of S. 56th St exit
3) Steve is bringing the donuts.
4) We meet there around 8:30AM and maybe hold until 8:45 unless everyone is there by 8:30 and has had a donut. [thumb]

doghows
July 4th, 2013, 07:11 PM
This year I have a smart phone and I won't leave early like last year

Nathan289
July 7th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Made my hotel reservation for the quality inn.

I'm hoping to make it with a falcon this year. If i can get her ready in time.

Nathan

falcon cobra
July 8th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Does one need to belong to the FCA to go to the mini ??:confused:..jh

Nathan289
July 8th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Simple answer no.

Bring a falcon and show up or just show up.. we did last year..

I think this mini meet is a measure to see if they can host a full regional in the future.

Which if successful would make me happy, because i try and avoid california like the plague.

Luva65wagon
July 8th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Does one need to belong to the FCA to go to the mini ??:confused:..jh

Simple answer no.
I think this mini meet is a measure to see if they can host a full regional in the future.

Gonna climb up onto a soap-box for a second. Please humor me a moment. I just want to clarify what these two posts present for members and non-members alike..

First of all, not joining a club and wanting to participate in club-sanctioned events at the same time seems very odd to me (and others I've spoken with about it). Supporting a club includes being a member - the same way being a member is supporting a club.

We are not restricting anyone at this time, nor do we plan to, from attending Rainier Chapter sanctioned local events. FCA sanctioned events are outside our control and we must abide by club rules.

We may, though, as a chapter, hesitate to offer the same services to a non-club member we might otherwise offer to a club member. Tech days, for instance, would be a service of the club offered to club members. Exceptions have occurred, but I will boldly say that, when we do this, we circumnavigate the reason we formed the club and this practice should not be a club event. To be clear, club members helping non-club members is their business, but it should be presented as such. I have seen a tendency, when the club allows a tech day to work on a non-member's car, to never see or hear from the person we helped ever again. "Thanks for the help! Now, "See ya!"

Now -that- is confusing.

:confused:

This forum, for instance, is an official outreach of the Rainier Chapter of the FCA, but is not requiring FCA membership to participate in some parts of it. There are sections of this forum invisible to non-FCA members. This forum is still funded by and supported by FCA club members. We are paying to keep this forum alive for non-members, both locally and around the world. This forum and its members have a lot to offer - without a certain "craziness" I see on other Falcon-based forums. We continue to try and keep it current and have plans to make a big change here soon too, to make it more so a shining example of what other chapters (and the national FCA site) could and should do. So thank you to all forum members who are both Rainier Falcon chapter and FCA club members! We really appreciate your participation!

Now... as for this mini-meet hosted by the Portland chapter of the FCA - it, like many of our local meets and tech days, is NOT an FCA sanctioned event, so this is also why they are able to invite Comets. If it were a true regional or national meet, then non-FCA members, or non_Falcon cars owned by FCA members, would not be allowed to show.

So hopefully that clarifies how this is all supposed to work.

:BEER:

Nathan289
July 8th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Didnt the regional down in salem, Oregon allow non fca member to enter cars but kept them in a seprate area that wasnt judged? Vaguely remember a hardtop convertible from idaho that wasnt a member.

I agree with the member only functions, like tech days, but i disagree with closing a show to members cars only.

I see that as a possible turn off to possible new members..
If i heard by word of mouth that there was a falcon only car show and i owned a falcon and showed up wanting to participate, only to be turned away. I'd be put off.

Sometimes its nice to invite those that share our interest to participate, learn and see what the club about and maybe they'll join..

I look forward to meeting new people, seeing old friends and discussing all things ford related.

Hopefully we can encourage club growth while having fun.

Nathan

falcon cobra
July 8th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Nobody seem to care that I was at a number of tech meetings and not a FCA member before where some didn't bother to help until latey, so whats the big deal? roger...it will cost about 50.00 in gas anyway so have a good time....jh[yay]

Nathan289
July 8th, 2013, 06:40 PM
I dont want to think about gas cost.. the two nights of hotel was enough to make think about moving closer..

Ive been looking at moving anyways...
how is the woodland area? I was looking at ellensburg but thats still not close to the dark side..

SmithKid
July 8th, 2013, 06:49 PM
I've considered removing myself from the I-5 corridor (Woodland still there, but a bit more rural if away from the big concrete strip). Have also considered E'Burg. But ALWAYS windy there so... maybe not. Suspect I'll just hover.

Luva65wagon
July 9th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Just to be even clearer... if I wasn't... there was no pointing of fingers - nor discouraging new people from coming to events. Come one, come all. Doesn't negate the fact that your $45 membership gives you rights and privileges that are not extended to non-paying Falcon owners.

I was simply stating what the reason is for a club, and that clubs have chapter rules and national rules we all have to abide by - else why have a club at all?

As much as I'm all for seeing more people (members or not) come with their cars to events we, or other chapters arrange, I was simply clarifying what the difference was between club sanctioned events (a regional and national meet) and non-sanctioned, although sponsored, events - like this mini regional.

Clearly it was uncertain whether non-members were invited to the meet this thread is promoting. Truth is: this "mini-regional" is a non-regional anything as far as the FCA is concerned. Of this I'm sure. It is simply a way to get FCA members together - along with non-members - in hopes that non-members will become members. The result is in the long run to have fun and to solicit new members.

Though it may be possible at a regional someone was allowed to park nearby (or even in the same parking lot area), they were not "entered" into the show. The national level is far stricter than this. Everyone can come and look, but there is usually no car on the grounds not a club member's car. Them's the facts. Don't shoot the messenger.

:NERVOUS:

And to answer John's comment and concern, I'm personally for anyone coming and helping at tech days, as John has. I'm not sure how we, as a club, could have shown "care" any more than when the owners whose cars we worked on showed their appreciation at the end of the day. We, of course, appreciate all who help. It is often a lot of work squeezed into a single day, so the more the merrier. When all is said and done, it is always disappointing when those we helped don't then show their appreciation further (considering the club just saved them hundreds of dollars in repairs) by their participating at a higher level. This is why I mentioned that. Not that anyone that came and helped - member or not - was not appreciated for coming and helping.

That said, I am thankful for all of you who help others get a little further down the road.

Marion
July 10th, 2013, 07:55 PM
I didnt get a flyer. Sorry all I have been out the computer word for a bit and my smart phone is a bit small unless there is an app for that... I am going to see what i can do to attend this mini with you all but i wont be bringing Stella she will still be in Primer with no glass or wires at that point..

Hope to meet a few of you there.
Marion

Voodoofalcon
July 13th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Where can I view a flyer of said " Mini Regional Meet " ??

doghows
July 13th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Try the Columbia river falcon clubs web site. If not maybe one of our computer gurus can post up a copy.

SmithKid
July 13th, 2013, 03:39 PM
I just checked their website and found reference to the 2013 meet. I don't have access to a scanner so can't post a copy here. Sorry.
I didn't receive my copy of the flyer until early this week (I think Tuesday).

redfalken
July 13th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Here's a PDF from the word file Monte sent me. Hopefully everyone can open it. If not, let me know and I can try something else.

Gina K
July 13th, 2013, 09:17 PM
That's cool it's for Comets too. It says RSVP....do we let him know we are coming? It kinda implies that and there is an e mail address.

redfalken
July 14th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Yes...if you intend on going, please email an RSVP. You can show up without doing this but I'm sure they would appreciate getting a feel for what the turnout might be as early as possible.

Gina K
July 14th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Thanks Kenny, I'm looking forward to a long road trip and meeting more of you.

Gina K
August 15th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Time sure flies, the trip to Woodland is fast approaching. Do we have a meeting spot and time for the drive down? Still not sure if my son is going to drive the Falcon or not, plus I have to have it ready enough to have the for sale sign on it.

doghows
August 15th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Gina I'm not sure if I'm going at this point. I want to but it will not be with the delivery. Last year I (was suppose to ) met up with everyone else at a shell station by the Tacoma mall.
I think if there are members from over here we could persuade them to meet us there again. I think the meet time was 8:30am (not 8) last year.

Luva65wagon
August 15th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Steve better go (car in trailer) or we'll be forced to issue some sort of sanction on him for not bringing the donuts (see items 3 and 4). :banana:

I think the plan, according to Kenny's post:

1) No pre-stop in Tukwila.
2) Meet at the gas station off of S. 56th St exit (just past Tacoma mall)
3) Steve is bringing the donuts.
4) We meet there around 8:30AM and maybe hold until 8:45 unless everyone is there by 8:30 and has had a donut.

doghows
August 15th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Ok everyone chime in here. Do I trailer the delivery down very unfinished or wait till its done to bring it out???
Give me your thoughts and I will go with the majority.

Gina K
August 15th, 2013, 11:14 PM
My thought is if it can be done safely it would be great. Probably be a good motivator for others doing similar re-do.

SmithKid
August 16th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Trailer it!

doghows
August 16th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Well paint not done. Looks like next week sometime his big boss pulled rank and pushed mine off but that's ok for the deal I got another day or two wont hurt. So if I trailer it it will be a freshly painted box that runs and drives.

BadBird
August 17th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Carol and I are going down on the night of the 23rd and staying at the Columbia River RV Park, I think. I would like to drive in with everyone as a group, is there someway you can call me when you are within give or take 20 miles or Woodland and then I can meet/link up with everyone? Larry

doghows
August 20th, 2013, 12:56 PM
So this Friday I turn 50. My wife had to let the cat out of the bag because I was going car or not. She has plans for us so I won't be making the trip this year. But how often do you make 50?
Second issue is car is not back from paint yet so no car anyway. I was going to go either way but.....
I hope you all have a great time and watch for a post on the assembly party. The 31st is out because of Labor Day so......
:BEER:

SmithKid
August 20th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Bummer! Both about turning 50 and about missing the mini. I tink, but not sure, that I remember 50. It wasn't so bad.

doghows
August 20th, 2013, 02:58 PM
The age thing don't bother me a bit, I still act like I'm 20. Body just can't keep up anymore. I told Laurie I wanted to go to the mini for my birthday but alas other plans had been made. It's all good.

By the way who all is going? Roll call..

Gina K
August 20th, 2013, 08:09 PM
I'm going.....who's bringing the doughnuts since Steve won't be? Me?

redfalken
August 21st, 2013, 08:48 AM
I'm going! I've got Friday off work to do a wash and wax (on the Falcon).

SmithKid
August 21st, 2013, 12:14 PM
I'm going, and at this point I'm bringing my daughter.

Luva65wagon
August 21st, 2013, 12:37 PM
I'm going to meet up with Gene most likely and we'll caravan to Tacoma. Anybody else who's driving down from up in the north-end can join us. It's about a 1 hour drive, so would probably leave about 7:15 at my place to give a 15-30 minute cushion of time to meet between 8:30 and 8:45 in Tacoma.

As for donuts... I don't know of a close donut store and not sure where Steve got his last year. Must be in the Tacoma Mall area?

Larry - as for meeting up with you, we could meet up at the Safeway/McDonalds parking lot (the exit we all will take off the freeway as we heading south). For you, work your way east (probably right out onto Dike Rd heading south, left onto Caples, left on N. Pekin, right on W. Scott, then right at 1-5, and the McD's and Safeway are on the right about a quarter-mile up. Would that work? We could maybe call you guys when we're just about there.

SmithKid
August 21st, 2013, 02:02 PM
Oops! Latest is; I'm not bringing my daughter (matters of the heart prevail). Anybody else want a ride?

falcon cobra
August 21st, 2013, 02:44 PM
Gene that why I called you twice now, and never got a call back...jh:NERVOUS:

Gina K
August 21st, 2013, 06:10 PM
Got the doughnut instructions from Steve so my co-pilot and I will stop and pick them up. Yum-Yum!

SmithKid
August 21st, 2013, 07:11 PM
for the head count, I again have a rider (Falcon Cobra).

BadBird
August 21st, 2013, 11:14 PM
Thanks Roger for the input, I will try to find that McDonalds and meet you all there. Give me a call please when you get within 10 or so miles. I think you already have my cell phone number. See you all Saturday. Larry

falcon cobra
August 22nd, 2013, 01:54 PM
Gene, I'll see you at rogers @ 7:00 saturday...thanks..jh:shift: